/FAST/ Fasting General

What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and fat fasting
While fasting alone is fantastic for your health, Consider doing a ketogenic in addition to become god mode

>WHY CICO IS NOT ONLY THING THAT MATTERS
youtube.com/watch?v=APZCfmgzoS0
>HGH , Test, and muscle growth?
youtube.com/watch?v=snyA5UgrZis

>how can I get a quick rundown? Where can I start?
dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting
dietdoctor.com/longer-fasting-regimens
youtube.com/watch?v=9idhb2aAfns

>any more info?
idmprogram.com/fed-fasted-state/
medium.com/the-mission/the-sweet-spot-for-intermittent-fasting-9aae12a2158c
youtube.com/watch?v=PKfR6bAXr-c
news.usc.edu/63669/fasting-triggers-stem-cell-regeneration-of-damaged-old-immune-system/

>Fung talks and lectures:
youtube.com/watch?v=tIuj-oMN-Fk
youtu.be/PSR82vmZ5lk
youtu.be/v9Aw0P7GjHE

>Doesn't salt make you explode?
youtube.com/watch?v=amJ-ev8Ial8

HOW TO START SNAKE DIET FATTY
youtube.com/watch?t=12s&v=2vz_U8kxDlg

Other urls found in this thread:

academic.oup.com/jcem/article/89/4/1641/2844241
youtube.com/watch?v=jgr3L8nW4dQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

60 hours in boys.
Hunger pains all day but they just subsided about an hour ago. Going into day 3 feeling much better.

What kind of reactions do you guys get when you explain fasting to normalfags and fatties?

Is that pic real? Holy fuck!

Third for eating a big keto meal with lots of veggies every other day at night after lifting heavy and running for cardio on recovery days while sipping mild snake potions to stave off headaches

gratz and good luck, keep going. drink when thirsty. electrolytes when sore. don't OD on anything

"i don't know about that"
"i heard you should eat 6 meals a day"
"saturated fat is good for you"
"i gotta have my breakfast"
"you're anorexic!
"that's not normal"
"you're gonna regain all that weight you know"
"here, try some. no seriously, try some. TRY SOME. seriously we're worried about you. EAT IT WE MADE IT FOR YOU"

Guys I found this today.
academic.oup.com/jcem/article/89/4/1641/2844241
I'm really thinking about going semi-vegetarian. Fish and the occasional cut of meat here and there. Keto with alternate day fasting.

I just can't unlearn all the "omega-6 is bad for you, get more omega-3!" Yeah, I don't feel like sitting around with a gallon of fish oil next to me taking shots all day.

imvho, supplements of nearly all kinds are scams, and so are restrictive diets

my new form of IF is quickly proving to me that I can eat LITERALLY ANYTHING and not gain weight, as long as I'm fasting for 23 hours minimum per day, no exceptions

I've recently developed atrial fibrillation due to binge drinking and a magnesium deficiency. It's very uncomfortable and I'd rather not develop more heart problems down the road with shitty food. While I'm glad you're not gaining weight, there's more to nutrition than just your macros.
Most of us have some sort of depression/anxiety and eating 2000 calories of glazed donuts in an hour and then starving for 23 is not going to help them, whether they lose weight or not.

Does fasting cause muscle loss?

I can totally appreciate your perspective and advice, man. Thank you for writing this and I apologize if my advice ever sounds one size fits all.

My thoughts here are to not overdo any one thing. I think people are falling victim to the supp industry. That's not to say that we should never take a supp in our life.

good luck and feel better

Are you staying around your TDEE or going way over?

we have clinical evidence that it causes massive muscle loss in patients with organ failure who are on breathing tubes

we have less evidence that it causes meaningful muscle loss in healthy short fasts

What does what I posted have to do with supplements? It's a study showing that people in ketosis with a polyunsaturated fat diet have lower triglyceride and LDL levels compared to high saturated fat diet. Also better insulin response.

Ive done multiple short fasts sub 5 days.
Cyrrently on the end of day 2 of a planned long fast. Minimum 14 days but if im feeling good much longer.
IM sitting at 250 but its not pure fat. I lift and can do 2/3/4/5 for a single. Id like to get around 200 and re-assess.
Planning on not pushing my self during the fast at all. Going on long walks but most likely wont lift. Ive got some nagging injuries and planned on deloading for a week or 2 anyway.

>we have less evidence

So not eating anything grows muscle?

she's dead now though

Don't leave me in suspense user, who is she?

>That's not healthy
>Why not just eat less food than nothing at all?
>You'll starve to death
>All the weight will probably just come back when you start eating normally

some chinese cosplayer.

She got invited into a rich guy's pool party a few months ago and died the night after from immediate "health failure" and the case was closed right there.

Foul play is most likely suspected but what are you gonna do against rich chinese billionaires?

>China
Not even once.

"Aren't you hungry all the time?"

long walks are fucking excellent, i do it every day for 1-3 hrs with some hills and heavy clothes

gratz on the "short fasts", which are decently long in my opinion :)

so you are shooting for 14 days of water fasting yeah? really simply then. drink only when thirsty. add a reasonable amount of salt and potassium. enough that the drink is still desirable.

when i was fasting, salt tasted great, until i ate enough, then it tasted like shit and i stopped.

i do not believe a set amount of salt is a good idea, because overshooting it makes matters worse than undershooting.

right now im doing 23.5/0.5 IF and really enjoying being able to eat and still lose 2-3 lbs per week

probably 1000 calories above tdee as my bmr is 1700 and i do less than 500 calories of cardio

Lads I'm going to have my first fasting tomorrow (plan to do it until Friday)

What should I do?

What do I need to know?

Please help this brother in need.

eat grass fed meats, they have high omega 3

avoid corn fed meats

>What should I do?
>What do I need to know?
You can read/watch the information in the OP!

60 hours!?

What is the purpose of fasting for more than, say, the length of time between going to sleep and then like 6-8pm the next day?

key word being MEANINGFUL

organ repair uses less than 60g of protein per day. 2oz of muscle loss per day is barely anything considering most of us have around 130lbs of lean body mass.

drink water only when thirsty
eat salt when sore
dont go nuts

good luck

Don't be an ass, user.

Just give me the fast version.

How does that cut down on saturated fat?

>drink only when thirsty
youre gonna have to plain this cause most sources ive seen have said drink frequently
>because overshooting it makes matters worse
this as well

>broke my 2 week fast with roasted chicken
>fast 3 days
>get so insane that I broke my fast again today with eggs, chicken and rice

Will I make it? I think I'll continue fasting after today

Everybody knows when doing keto going all fat no protein is fucking dumb. The real way to do a keto diet is a little more fat than protein, but I hit protein more than fat. Fat is only bad when you mix it with a lot of carbs. Carbs are what raises your bad cholesterol when you mix it with fats. Fats on their own improve your cholesterol balances, it's the addition of many carbs(mostly refined sugar and bad grains) that fucks this up.

Bruh, READ.
>LDL cholesterol 92.6 > 75.9
>Triglycerides 89.6 > 59.4
>Total cholesterol 159.1 > 137.1

happily, they're tied together

do you exercise frequently? live in a hot climate? sweat a lot?

ok, drink more water and eat more salt.

mike arnstein ran 100 miles in death valley and took 8 salt pills

he then ran 100 miles in alaska and took ZERO salt pills. same intense exercise. only difference was sweating vs no sweating.

the dangers of drinking too much water:
cramps, brain fog, soreness

the dangers of eating too much salt:
shitting yourself, kidney stones

drink when thirsty, eat salt when you want something salty. it is a natural mechanism within your body.

i understand mainstream advice says drink water frequently but that just hasnt been my personal experience at all. when i follow a formula, it does not give me any benefits because salt and hydration are a deeply circumstancial thing

keep going if scale is dropping and you are enjoying youself, if not change the plan

>tfw after fasting so long I cant eat big portions anymore because just a little bit will fill me up

HOW WILL I BULK NOW

don't eat

6-8 meals a day

Trying to get into the habit of alternate day fasting combined with OMAD.

I have a lot of weight to lose still, but even when I'm finished I would like to keep fasting for long-term bodyfat management.

t. fat fuck food addict

welcome

i eat anything i want, as much as i want, for 30 minutes a day

then i wake up, go running, come home, do it all again

weight is dropping steadily, i shit well, and i feel great

not many people here see how optimal this is

>cramps
>brain fog
But thats assuming you are flushing elec, but im drinking snake potions basically so im not worried about that.
>soreness
???
>shitting yourself
???
> kidney stones
???
Arent kidney stones calcium? And actually come from being dehydrated?

That sounds like bliss.

How do bulking and fasting go together?

drinking water by nature flushes electrolytes. hence why i only drink when thirsty. why shove water down my throat that isn't needed? just my opinion. I feel snake potions even are A) too much water and B) too much electrolytes for someone who is sitting on the couch all day 70F o less.

many people do 48 hour wet fasts where they drink as much as they can to simulate food going down their throat. they report classic symptoms of hyponatremia, aka "i pissed all my salt out". soreness, cramps, brain fog. it feels like a heroin detox. I did it myself.

ODing on grams and grams of salt makes you shit yourself.

salt blocks absorption of calcium = kidney stones

"dehydration" is a pretty difficult thing to achieve. overhydration is extremely easy to achieve.

Why not just drink when thirsty and eat salt when craving salt? You can always just add more. You can't take out what you gulp down.

glad you are interested :)

have you read what I've been posting about insulin and calorie absorption? I need to make a pastebin.

Basically if you eat literally the most delicious, shitty junk foods you love, all within 30 minutes, you will:

1) fucking love it and feel satiated and happy
2) only partially absorb it (3000 calories eating = roughly 1000 calories absorbed)
3) fast for 23 hours
4) do it all over again
5) take a big enjoyable shit of all those unabsorbed calories

do this a few days in a row and you will see the scale drop. especially if you can do light cardio 1x per day.

me and snake diet's 30 day bacon diet are living proof that SCIENCE is behind this diet

please ask anything you want

>why shove water down my throat that isn't needed
to stop hunger pangs
>salt blocks absorption of calcium = kidney stones
salt makes you piss it out, it doesnt impare your kidneys from processing it. Please post a source cause id love to read this.

>salt blocks absorption of calcium = kidney stones

most kidney stones are made of calcium oxalate. You want calcium and oxalate to remain in liquid solution.

When you don't drink enough water, or you eat too much salt, or blood pH is persistently acidic, calcium and oxalate are able to bond together, forming a solid stone. this fucks yo shit up. Control those 3 risk factors and you're all good.

source: wikipedia, google harvard spreadsheet "OXALATE CONTENT OF FOODS", my doctor, and the 4 kidney stones i've pissed out from when I ate too much steak, spinach and potatoes with massive amounts of salt for a few weeks.

>hunger pangs
how deep into ketosis are you? they're supposed to go away. you can keep doing the water thing but you need to carefully measure water and electrolytes

i personally dont get pangs much so i dont use water to cope

Sounds to good to be truth.

I was planning to break my fasting on Friday because I was going with some friends, but can I eat wherever I want during those 30 minutes and then continue with my fasting that day?

Saturated fat isn’t the problem, polyunsaturated fats are

>2) only partially absorb it (3000 calories eating = roughly 1000 calories absorbed)

source for this? body can process 20k kcals per day easily.

Isnt it possible you just dont deal with oxalates well?
I mean 4 stones in only a few fucking weeks? thats insane dude you got a genetic problem.

is running 6.5k in 45 mins considered light? should i do less while fasting? I just did a 36hr fast where I ran this and did some light lifting. I made sure to drink 4litres (a little over a gallon)
mixed with half a tsp of salt. I just broke my fast this morning with two slices of bacon and two fried eggs. Am I doing this right, or does this sound dangerous?

I felt the same way until I sacked up and gave it a shot. fast forward 3 days and I was like, how the fuck did I lose 2 pounds on a diet of cheese cake and chicken wings

here's the plan for you eating with your friends

1) weigh yourself thursday night
2) weigh yourself friday morning
3) binge the fuck out for 30 minutes with your friends
4) weigh yourself friday night
5) weigh yourself saturday morning
6) weigh yourself saturday night

you should be able to see the effect that drinking water, shitting, gas from food digestion etc has on your body

now, you're fasting into this Friday thing, so you might gain a little weight as it is from any refeed.

But I'm willing to bet that you will shit all that weight out and continue dropping by saturday night, all while being happy as hell and fit for some exercise

I've tested this with literally everything, candy, soup, steak, chips, etc.

The only thing that might fuck it up is 4000 calories of pure table sugar and butter, but I bet you'd just shit that out too 75% undigested

Snakediet drank bacon grease for 30 days straight like this and didn't gain an ounce. God tier diet

>completely different diets
>”SEE IT’S THE FAT”

terrible study tbqh, they should have done their best to keep diets as close as possible to identical

i'd call that moderate, definitely enough. i walk for 2-3 hours which burns 200 calories per hour

you are totally gonna be fine. as with everyone i say drink until no longer thirsty. how is the scale progressing and how do you feel mentally? that's the biggest barometer of progress.

maybe? i've never had it since. I'm not sure why you're concerned you will be getting stones though :)

has to do with insulin being the most potent anabolic steroid in your body.

one meal = 3 hours of insulin spike = 3 hours of ZERO fat burning

6 meals = 18 hours of insulin spike = 18 hours of ZERO fat burning

when eating one meal a day, you will have 50% undigested food sitting in your colon while your body is burning body fat, all because insulin has disappeared from blood stream after 3 hours. it's hilarious and counterintuitive, but I can get you some charts I posted yesterday if you want :)

insulin is the sole source of anabolism vs catabolism in the body.

>I'm not sure why you're concerned you will be getting stones though :)
I am not, youre the one who mentioned it dude.

go away avo

Finished a 70 hour fast last night ate a salad with onions and balsamic and bread with cheese and salami also a halo on top. Shat my brains out but woke up feeling great. 24 hours into next fast gonna do another 40 at least. Before first fast weight was 206.5 today 24 hours into second fast weight is about 200 but not showing ketones on strips yet. I'm gonna try a lower carb reseed next time

Not eating today because I had 10 beers last night

sorry yes i got distracted. i promise you that you don't want to be drinking endless amounts of water and salt, unless you live in an actual sauna

this should be good news to you, not bad! it's easy. when you crave it, smash it in.

when you don't, don't. snake followers follow a set formula. done wrong, it isn't fun and is sub-optimal. many people complain that the drink tastes like shit. they don't need to be drinking it at that time

actually not a good idea, alcohol can cause deficiencies, you should fast but not the day after drinking

good luck, keep going. every hour you don't eat is another hour of fat/glycogen burning. it is really that simple :)

wait a sec, so if i want to, say, build some mussel, should i keep my insulin high all the time?

>you don't want to be drinking endless amounts of water and salt
i never said i was going to

did babby's first IF day today.

wasn't that hard, 16/8.

Gonna do this for a couple weeks and move to 18/6 and maybe work up to OMAD.

What ya boys think?

Did you not know top level BBers inject insulin?

are you a fatty?

200 @ 6ft

Been lifting for a year or so, so I have some muscle but I'm probably overweight

just came back from deployment where my diet got wrecked

done IF before (now over a year ago), just want some personal opinions:
is a 14 day 20:4 too much to get back into the groove with? previously only did 16:8

the reason they do it is because they are on such high doses of steroids that the exogenous insulin is needed to build the aditional muscle from steroids.

yes, is absolutely correct

cows eat like 13 hours a day and farmers inject them full of drugs, thats how they get yoked as fuck haha.

insulin promotes synthesis of muscle, (and glycogen and adipose tissue). no insulin, no growth. law of biochemistry at this point

endless = more than 2.5L in my opinion

gratz keep going. if the scale is dropping and you are happy, fuck what anyone says

HEY YOU, YES YOU, DO NOT FAST... medfag here. 99% of people should be okay to fast, infact I do it myself. Problem is though there is an inevitible breakdown of heat muscle (myocardium) when you fast. The heart muscle pumps your blood (obviously) and if some of it gets catabolised by prolonged fast then it will lead to an overall decrease in your cardiac output (meaning you wont pump enough), leading to heart failure (an inability of the heart to meet the oxygen requirements of the body). Also the cardiac muscle propegates the contraction impulse through the rest of the heart, so any damage can put you at EVEN MORE risk of having an arrthymia (ventricular fibrilation), where your heart can arrest and you can die. RIP!

Yes? thats my point and clearly shows it relates to muscle building.

Same medfag again with followup

Do ketogenic and/or IF, you'll be fine with those

Play it by ear some people can lose weight on 16/8 some people can on omad. Some people need longer fasts. Watch some snake man q and a videos to get motivated

gratz on coming home, 20:4 is totally doable. all you need to do is actually stick to it :)

why can't the heart be repaired with protein from leg muscles?

well i guess the eat every 3 hours then isn't a meme if you're trying to gain lean mass

Doing OMAD/IF 23:1 fasted for 24 hours on Sunday after 3 days of being a fat fuk on thanks giving
>starting:130
Today is my 2nd day of OMAD
>weight 124 this morning

Is lifting important if I'm just trying to cut down to 100? Currently doing strong curves.

Also can I drink black coffee and tea through the the day? Or my medication?

THanks in advance! :)

this is correct once again. good on you user

good on you for being a motivator here. too many pussy haters in this thread

eating every 3 hours is a surefire way to gain weight. if you are eating chicken and broccoli, 6 meals a day, and lifting a ton of weight, you will get yoked as fuc

if you eat all that food, but smashed into one meal, you will lose weight and build 0 muscle

insulin is literally the be all end all. CICO is fiction

They get away with the insulin because they are on grams of extra hormones a week, the body cannot produce naturally the amount of insulin necessary to aid in the protein synthesis from all the extra juice they are taking. If you're not taking a shitload of steroids the insulin won't do shit by itself. So for a natty would it still be advisable? What about insulin sensitivity?

you don't need to exercise. if you feel you must, do cardio or light lifting

coffee and tea and acceptable if you must. medication is acceptable until you decide with your doc you would like to come off of it.

wtf are you even saying dude? The point im trying to make is that insulin is anabolic. Turn your fucking brain on.

don't inject insulin, period. it's pretty fucking retarded and dangerous.

to raise insulin, just eat food constantly. seriously, that's all you need to do. jay cutler would literally wake up in the middle of the night to eat food lol

Even if I want to maintain muscle? Or will the fasting maintain it on its own?

I'll probably keep lifting so I don't become a lazy fuk honestly. Even if it's half assed.

stop saying lol you redditor

fasting breaks down a theoretical amount of muscle. my opinion is 30-60g per day. So let's say 2 oz for every day that you're eating literally 0 protein.

If you do an 8 day fast, which, good on you, you will lose maybe 6lbs of fat and a maximum of 1lb of lean body mass, which includes muscle, skin, visceral organs etc.

Considering that you have a minimum of 130lbs of lean body mass, you would need to fast for 80 days before this even became close to noticeable

Lifting in theory produces HGH which somehow through magic preserves muscle.

point is, you don't have much to worry about unless you are chaining yourself to a bed for 7 months and waiting to die of starvation :)

so when i no longer care about losing weight/bodyfat and start focusing on muscle, i no longer fast? Snakeman said he did omad with 48h fasts to build muscle

youtube.com/watch?v=jgr3L8nW4dQ

military fag again

regardless if i do 20/4 or OMAD, when is everyone's preferred window/meal time? By the time I get off work and go to the gym its about 8-9pm, try to get to bed by 11pm. I'm worried that even if I ate immediately upon getting home it'd be to close to my sleep time.

Or am I fucking retarded and this is a non-issue?

It depends how hard it is for you to gain weight. If you gain weight easily than OMAD will still probably work. If youre a skelly than what are you even fasting for?

i eat 6-7PM, sleep 3AM, wake up 1PM, cardio 3-5PM

I am guessing that any muscle gain was from eating a very high amount of protein within that window

he claims to obliterate his muscles and then not train them for 4-5 days. seems fine to me

Source?

Not sure why you'd lie and make this up, but some basic google searching reveals that she is clearly still alive and she's a fairly famous cosplayer.

i'm not a skelly, i was actually starting to get fat with my bulk and was probably at 25-30 bf¨%, i almost hit 200lb at 5'10. This is when i decided to start fasting.

should i lift while i fast?

>starting to get fat with my bulk and was probably at 25-30 bf¨%
Youre fucking fat as fuck
Also bulking is 99% a meme

hmmm, i'm a little bit worried if i can lean bulk while also fasting and building muscle by doing high intensity high frequency low volume training (bulgarian). I don't spend more than 40 minutes at the gym and i only do heavy triples, doubles, singles for compounds. The thing is i workout every day.

I ate a big salad with 3 tins of sardines and some french bread after drinking. I'll survive

not anymore bro, i'm down to 175, with abs showing and all that jazz, thanks to fasting. But i still want to milk some gains.

To burn more fat over a shorter period of time.