Advice Thread:

Veeky Forums: Yesterday I turned 18. What life advice can you give me?

You should have left when you had the chance

Find whatever you're passionate about and make it your profession.

There's never going to come a time when you magically become an adult. You have to work and suffer towards it, willingly taking responsibility and action. The sooner you accept that the better.
Read 'On Pain' by ww1 German soldier Ernst Junger. It tells you about rejecting the liberal values of liberty, security, ease, and comfort, and seeks instead the measure of man in the capacity to withstand pain and sacrifice.

No matter what happens in life, always keep lifting. It's the one thing that you can count on that will keep you going and keep you mentally sane through all the bullshit life has to offer.

Do not use drugs.

Do not use drugs.

Do not use drugs.

They're all addictive. If it feels good, it's addictive. Not even caffeine, especially not caffeine. No dudeweed. No dudecoffee. No L0Lz 1'm L13k 7o7a11y 4dd1ct3d! because you actually will be. No ciggies no pills nothing user, nothing. Mark my words.

t. 28 and breddy strong but these demons of mine are gains goblins

If the job doesn't require the degree, don't go to college.

Don't forget to train neck, forearms, and calves.

Traps are gay.

You gotta lift lil nigga!

Anyone wanna give a list of books to read to make sure I don't mess up the rest of my life any more than necessary?

Agree with this.

I wasted 5 years of my life smoking weed, doing psychadelic drugs, and drinking; when I could have been lifting and starting a career.

Psychedelic drugs can be very enlightening for a one time use on a good trip I've heard.

Don't fucking take out any loan. Paying more for something than it's worth is retarded, I learned the hard way. If you must get a house, get a 15 year loan.

social life is a gym gains goblin, but the more important thing is that gym is a social gains goblin
t. 22 years old

Don't drink. Don't smoke weed. Mushrooms seem pretty harmless.

oh shit I just realized everyone forgot to say happy birthday OP. Happy birthday man!

Don't drink/drug and drive. I did, killed my girlfriend and ruined a lot of lives. It eats at me every day.

DON'T FUCKING DRIVE FUCKED UP.

Thanks man...this is the year I hit 1/2/3/4.

At the moment I can OHP 60kg, Bench 80kg, Squat 110kg and DL 155kg so I think I can definitely hit it this year.

THIIIIS IISSS MY BOOODY.QHIIIXH WIIIILL BE GIIIVEN UP FOR YOOUU

Wheymen

Life is suffering. Don't think you can avoid it.

Instead learn to take that suffering and evolve on an individual level.

Every moment you suffer that somebody shys away from is another advantage you have over them.

Never forget that. Despite us all living in civilised society, it's still the best of us who climb to the top. Sure, some get lucky, and you can't get anywhere without luck. But you can't control luck, therefore all that's left is to endure the suffering that makes you a better person, physically and mentally.

Also, ignore the plebs who tell you to do whatever you want with your life.
You need to be realistic, but still find a compromise with your interests. At the end of the day, when you get there, you'll find yourself interested regardless.

Stop browsing Veeky Forums immediately and go outside and experience the world

This!
From now on you will have to be the motor of change. During your teenage years your persona changes automatically as you grow older but once you reach your late teens that stops

As far as lifting goes: be consistent. Better to lift 3 years with a shitty routine and diet than on and off but with perfect routines and diets.

Disagree about caffeine. While I know I have been dependent on it at times, it can be extremely beneficial in a lot of situations to advance your career.

This

Like what

sure but this applies to all drugs. I smoke weed everyday (epic) but by no means am i dependent. helps with back pain plus i just like smoking it. I feel like better advice is to not let drugs take over your life. be better then the drugs you take

What do you enjoy doing? What are your hobbies?

Go MGTOW and do what makes you happy.

this is for real and will help you a lot whether you choose to go to college or just work.

straight up be a pleasant dude to everyone you meet. that's it.

going through school i formed a circle of friends and one of them, we'll call him metachad, was one of the most genuinely nice people i've ever met. he didn't go out of his way to be nice but would always finish conversations with you, would be consistent with the way he treated people, and saw everyone in the same light unless they were an actual fuckass.

dude wasn't big or great looking by any means but the fact that everyone liked to be around him got him lots of pussy.

he'll probably be the best man at like 30 weddings.

you first long tern relationship is not the one, don't ever think that

Something between "delet" and "this"

OP my nigga, listen to me. You gonna experience some sad shit in your lifetime, that will make you wish you were dead, you can't dodge that. But never ever commit a suicide. After a long time, you will come from ashes anew. You won't be the same. You never do after these experiences. There will be up and downs. Find something stable, that will always be in your life, which you can reach for happiness after. That's right, not a woman.

And have some values for fucks sake. These will keep you alive with some honor left.

Do not get involved with politics

Stop fapping. Stop drinking. Stop doing drugs. Lift. You will be a godly by 20. Unless you are short.

For the first time in years I registered for a gym membership.

Right off the bat, I worked on my weak arms and legs and now I am literally shaking as I attempt to move. I don't feel much pain yet oddly.

What should I do? How long can it take for a doughboy like myself to recover and do it again?

I finally found something more entertaining than my phone to do on weekends.

Facts - weed has ruined every good thing Ive had going for me so far.

Oh to be young and hungry for life once more. Anonlet, if I could go back in time to when I was your age I would kick Little Me right in the sac and say "Stop wasting so much time you faggot it will never get done unless you make it get done." I wasted years of my life drifting because it was "comfortable" and because it was "fun." Yeah, fun to do nothing but drink and play video games and stay up until 6AM every night. Sitting on the back porch smoking cigarettes and listening to the long, lilting call of the neighborhood train; knowing I had failed yet another day and lying to myself that tomorrow was the day I would be serious. I never got SHIT done back then. It wasn't until many years later that I came to Veeky Forums motivation threads and realized that my life was in my own hands and no one but me was ever going to make something of it.

Seriously bro you've got to realize this now and save yourself a potential lifetime of failure. Live your life one year, one season, one month, one week, one day at a time. You have the same amount of hours in a day as everyone who has ever accomplished anything. Life is moving all the time and it's up to you to keep up.

>discard tv, smartphone, internet
>keep a laptop and go somewhere with public wifi when you need to do something for work, school, bank accounts
>acquire knowledge through books
>set goals and make plans
>have fun with productive hobbies that are engaging, rewarding, and improve your life
>make time every day to be alone with your thoughts
>MOST IMPORTANTLY: eat right and work out and stabilize the waters of your soul
everything else in life will flow thereafter

Shiiiieet I was proud of this but forgot to tell you to discard your vidya gayms. Sell any systems and games you have and/or sell your Steam account. Use the money from that to either buy workout gear or start a savings account.

heres a screencap i saved if anyone wants it. some clever computer user pls put OP's digits in because idk how to include. have a nice day fags and ty for the OC

>bank accounts
what?

I'm 19. Sold my ps4 more than a year ago, deleted my steam account about 2 months ago.
Honestly not sure if I will abstain from Iron Harvest when I comes out though, I really fucking love The Great War, especially the central powers, the German empire aesthetic and authors from that time and area like Ernst Junger.

mormon

Here's some stuff OP.
First of all, you choose way more about yourself than you often think. I believe this is true of everyone. One example is love. We are saturated in language of non-agency when it comes to love. People "fall" in and out of love as if it's something that just happens by chance. That's bullshit, don't believe it. You choose who you love. You have free will. Maybe your best friend betrays you. Maybe forgiving him is the hardest thing you've ever done. You can still do it. Maybe you meet the perfect woman. Maybe you feel like loving her is automatic, not even a choice. You still choose it. I think people give up on their own agency way too much. Don't do that.
Here's another one. Don't let preconceptions hold you back. One especially pernicious preconception is that young people need to build up some amount of responsibility before they are "ready" for things like family or marriage. But entering into that kind of arrangement of responsibility is itself a stabilizing and maturing force in your life as long as you understand what you're actually doing. If you take on a commitment and actually choose to go for it instead of half-assing it, you will essentially "learn by doing". So sometimes you have to be careful to not be too careful about that stuff. This does not mean you should make shitty decisions, obviously.
Try cigars and tobacco pipes at some point. Try nice alcohol in moderation. Read great books. I'm talking The Iliad and Moby Dick and stuff like that, although there's nothing wrong with reading schlock for fun as long as you don't take it seriously.
Have a sense of humor about yourself first of all. If you can't laugh at yourself you don't actually have a real sense of humor.

Invest your money. I started with 100 dollars in some stocks. Over the next two months it grew to 2,100.

That's how I bought my first car.
I'm middle class but no fancy college fund, no dad to show me the way. My dad is actually a terrible alcoholic.

I go out every year and hunt. I get my own food. 1 deer will usually last me a month of food. A few pheasant will last me the week. Learn to cut back all spending and save.

Want to know the most important thing right now? It's not fitness, it's not girls, it's cold hard cash. Because in 3 years that's when people find out, that's the shit that makes the world go round.

Be able to pay off your car in full. Around 8 grand by the time your 20. That's not hard to do.

Avoid debt. Don't get credit until your making 35,000+ a year. Otherwise no point in trying to build credit and paying a car in full will drive you up enough anyways.

Gotta play the fucking game. Sit down, think long and hard what you want to do. Have a game plan. Have a plan B. Then a plan C. Then go all the way down to Z. Examine your options while you can. I did and I'm so happy I did.

Learn discipline. Through finances, mentally and physically. People in this generation lack discipline.

Read up on R/personalfinance and guides to saving money. Having direction with your paychecks will put you in the 90th percentile. I have 5,000 in savings and I'm 19.

If you don't have Atleast 1,000 dollars in savings by the time your 20 then you're a fucking idiot. Straight up facts. Learn to think like Buffet.

Do not accumulate any debt. That's like staying on your financial diet. You might be broke as shit, but all your bills paid? Good, now work on getting momentum behind you and put on financial GAINZ son.

underrated. neck and forearms are what separates the Chads from the Brads

may God rest her soul

fugggggggg. i learned this the hard way. Don't force your first real relationship. really get to know the person and be honest about their faults and find out if you can really live with those faults

This. I used to hate studying. I used to be addicted to serotonin. Eventually I started envisioning my goals, my life purpose.

I realized what is important to me and that in order to achieve it I have to go to war with myself every day. There is a form of joy, appreciation even, in forming yourself to be what you want. It's a process of both sacrifice and equal fulfillment.

Don't waste time. Get to it. Also this user has it right. Also if you're going to fight then fight for something. If you're going to love don't love for nothing.

Emotional development is key for all people. A good book to get you started is Emotional Intelligence 2.0 or Codependent No More. With a strong emotional maturity you can accomplish more. Never stop reading books. Book reading should be your biggest entertainment method. If you've ever had a problem, guess what? Someone has had that same problem and written a book about. Learn how to overcome by asking questions. Books are answers to those questions.

I love you anons, I really do and wish the best for you. We're all gonna make it.

Definitely not going to change anything on its own, but by reading and hopefully understanding applicable psychology, general biology, basic economics, philosophies, etc. you open your eyes to see a lot of opportunities that go unnoticed.
I'd make a recommendation not popular here (at least I haven't seen it yet). Check out r/theredpill. Trust me, it's not "reddit" reddit.

Would you be able to share what stocks you're holding?

>not smoking weed, doing psychadelics AND lifting/career

>t. Joe Rogan
The dude repeated the same shit over and over. Tried "sober october," halfway through admitted that maybe he doesn't only smoke for recreational and creative reasons... have no idea what's been up with him since. But I was satisfied to see him actually admit he might have an addiction.

STOP LYING TO YOURSELF FAGGIT

Bump

So are you browsing Veeky Forums in prison or what?

48h if you were doing sets until failure. Welcome to the club enjoy the DOMS while you can

Make as much money as you can as early as you can. It really makes your life a lot easier

dont follow your dreams

its too late to become succesful

You gonna teach him how to suck his own dick and make his own kids. If he's white be needs to reproduce

You forgot the golden rule. Always keep your mind wandering on the present situation. It saved my friends lives when I was tripping my ass off. Its a mindset

Any bipolar bros here?
My depression is eating me. For the times I am not depressed, it is when I pursue my goals and become the person I want to be.
Then I become manic, crash, and end up in another depressive episode ..
How do you manage, I want to be normal and be able to function like a human being.

Wellbutrin helps me get my life on track but then sends me into mania.. I've been on a mood stabilizer for 6 months already and I want this medication again but my psych keeps dodging it..

I just want to overcome this
>inb4 "think positive bro its just a mindset!"

Dont waste any time in your life trying to figure out ways to rationalize, get rid of, or supress negative feelings and thoughts. This will lead you down a road of drug or substance use, self-placating, or ultimately more misery.

Whenever you have a negative thought acknowledge it and let it go. Dont fight with it, just let it exist in your mind.

Now repeat this mindset with positive thoughts too. Dont try to hold onto them, let them be.

A good analogy is imagine your internal phenomenon(thoughts, feelings, memories) are but leaves floating down a gentle stream. Over time a leaf will traverse the stream until it passes over the horizon. Such are your thoughts and feelings.

This is the essence of mindfulness.

Lurk more

Damn. I’m 19 too and your situation sounds like the one I’m aspiring to get to. Thank you for the wake up call. The world runs on cash and if you don’t have it you’re fucked.

It sounds stupid and like im trying to be profound but the quote "Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a hard one" is truly words to live by op, nothing in life worth it will come easy, an amount of suffering and hardship is good for you, it makes you feel uncomfortable and will make you grow. Every failure will make you a more formidable person including a failed job interview, a super awkward conversation attempt, a girl rejecting you, a failed deadlift pr. Its all helping you be better at life

Stop making fun of religions, stop using religious memes, It'll save you a lot of trouble

Start today. Whatever it is. Years will slip through your hands like sand if you aren’t careful.

I learned these the hard way so that maybe someone won't have to.
Count your bills for rent, utilities, insurance etc. And multiply that by 6 months. Once you have that in savings then you can make purchases as you please, because if you get sick or to hurt to work you will end up on the streets.
This has been said already but it is completely true. Learn to let things go. If a person close to you is negative, cut them loose. Lost your expensive item live and learn from how it happened.
Good luck in the real world. She's a cruel bitch but, sometimes she gives you a bone.