/OHP general/

/OHP general/
>King of lifts edition.
How much do you OHP, friend? How do you get over stalls and progress

Other urls found in this thread:

t-nation.com/training/5-tips-for-a-bigger-badder-overhead-press
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

how do you tilt your hips forward without bending the knees?

haven't done OHP in a year

maybe it's time

practice it lying on the ground

HIP DRAHVE
just flex your glutes basically aka thrust your dick forward

enjoy the fucked up cervical spine

>do ohp
>vision goes grey
>head gets dizzy
>try to lower the weight
>same

unless i do it with almost no weight at all, it always feels like im about to pass out

I'd see a doc lad. Do you drink enough water buddeh?

>Lifting for 4 months
>Do a starting strength + accessories
>OHP is abyssmal as I can barely lift the bar over my head 10 times.

6'2 215-210; PR is 190x1; can also do 135x10. Been chasing a bodyweight OHP since fucking ever. I will have it one day brahs. Takes fucking forever to increase the weight though but I'm shit at bulking. On a PPLPPLR split right now. Monday chest/shoulders, thursday shoulders/chest; hit bench and OHP on both days.

lose the pants bitch

i drink a shitload of water

also it started randomly, i was able to ohp lmao1plate, it was my first lift to reach 1/2/3/4, then i started feeling dizzy every time i did it and i had to drop it to half plate

and i know how to breathe, it helps a little, but doesnt fix it

I still have no clue how to OHP properly,
SL guide says to keep forearms vertical from all sides, to use a narrow grip, to keep your hand straight up, yet somehow you need to rest the bar on your shoulders? The anatomy doesn't add up.

That's not very polite friendo

Its all in the glutes. Just squeeze them and thrust yo dick forward

The Press was my first lift to hit 1/2/3/4
Aside from The Press'ing work on form, upper back flexibility and stabilizer muscles (DL, SGDL, pullups)

Ever had a concussion?

nope
nothing special happened between the day i could do it right and the day it started happening

i just dont have a clue

I suck at this lift. Can't seem to go over 10 kg on each side. What could I be doing wrong lads?

I touch my chest with the bar at the bottom of the rep; I'm not sure how one would rest the bar on their shoulders

Lose the faggotry, soyboy

you probably make jumps that are too big. typically you don't want to do jumps bigger than 0.5-1kg on the press

Are your other lifts going up? How's your bench? What accessories for shoulders do you do? Is your bodyweight increasing?
These are good places to start

That's weird. See a doctor.
Does anything similar happens in other lifts where your hands are over your head? Like a tricep extension, for example.

Closing in on 50kg 5x5

How long til 60 lads?

even adding a few reps seems hard

>SL guide
son just do yourself a favor and dont take advice from that retarded fag who literally copied a program and called it his own.

t. assblasted powerlifter
>projecting this hard

>breathe in
>do rep
>breathe out
>repeat
>???????
>profit

I've been increasing 1 kg on each side. I thought on increasing the weight slower but my gym doesn't have 0.5 kg weights.

Yeah, squat, deadlift, bent over row, bench press, all going up. My bench press is not great at the moment but it's going up.
Only accessory I do for shoulders are lateral raises. My bodyweight has stalled though, maybe I'm not eating or resting enough.
What was bothering me is that it was the only one I'm stalling. But I guess the OHP is a pretty hard lift.

What other excersises are best to help with OHP?

Right now all I'm doing are lat pull downs.

Why would you think a back exercise is going to help with a vertical press

Dips are supposed to help

t-nation.com/training/5-tips-for-a-bigger-badder-overhead-press

It is a hard lift but you definitely need to do more shoulder accesories. And probably to increase your OHP volume
Front raises, luu raises, rear delt flies, face pulls, arnold press, these are all good in addition to lat raises

Incline dumbbell press.

Me too brother. I think realistically 2 months till 1pl8.

My bench stalled for the first time this week :-(.
I was slightly hungover so I’m gimping tomorrow will be back on form. Should I bench the same weight I stalled on again or ignore and increase 2.5 cos of debauchery?

Was it a 4/5 failure or a 2/5?

get the fuck under the bar

Where the bar rests will depend on your limb lengths. Even when I drop my shoulders down and back, I don't quite touch.

Make sure you're Theodore your chest forward to put your shoulders on alignment. Imagine sticking your boobs out.

Have you tried breathing?

learn how to properly breathe retard

sounds like you're not salt-loading

Lifting for about a year and a half. Current 1RM is 97.5kg. So close to getting 100 but with the current diet and caloric deficit, I will prolly reach it close to summer.

Don't forget to CRUSH YOUR GLUTES.

You will instantly improve your form and add weight to the OHP if you squeeze your glutes HARD throughout the entire lift. I don't mean just flex them. I mean activate them like you're trying to crush a walnut between them.
The whole lift derives its power and stability from your bum.
If you don't flex it as hard as possible, you're going to bleed power, put strain on your lower back and through your shoulders out of alignment.

Don't make that mistake. Crush your glutes.

52.5kg, 10-12 x 3. Then 1 set to fail.

6' 150lbs stuck at 1pl8 because of shoulder pain.
How do I overcome bad shoulders?

facepulls, chin ups, rows.

you can't fool me again
i ended up with diarrhea streaming down my leg last time i went to the gym because of you

Thanks a lot, I'll try that.

happenend to me too recently, after 48hour fast. bad idea

You did the wrong thing
You're supposed to do the opposite

One of my favorite excercises, also makes me feel like a special snowflake because nobody does this amazing press.

I'm weak af though, doing 10x4 with 10kgs, is it better to increase the weight and just do 5x5s?

>triceps injury
>can't ohp or bench
>my pathetic numbers are probably even more down

Is there any true practical difference between a seated and non seated OHP?

I just cant no matter what get my lower back out of the OHP. My only solution is less weight, to the point where its 12+ reps and ineffective for everything

>max is 105kg/231lb
>pause ohp is the best when you stuck for months. resistance band ohp is also very good

Check your form dude, pretty weird that you can't press the bar even

Sometimes, when I do the OHP my back hurts, how to fix?

>I'm weak af though, doing 10x4 with 10kgs, is it better to increase the weight and just do 5x5s?
Well do you want mass or weight

Eat more onions.

Seated takes any chance of leg drive out, keeping it a strict press. But it also allows you to brace your back unless you're just doing it on a flat bench. This will give you a disproportionately weaker core and open you to injury in athletic activities.

Strenghten your core and back. Rows, deadlifts, planks. And check your form.

>Seated takes any chance of leg drive out
Still got squats
>disproportionately weaker core
Already do abs
>athletic activities.
Kek like i leave my house

So shoulder wise identical and back wise safer. Sounds good to me desu.

Its addition to the bar but the bar itself is also nothing, like 8kgs?
Mass

you look like shit

Then keep going with 4x10. Make sure you're trying to increase the weight though or you will stagnate. And do some rear delt exercise, OHP doesnt hit it.

you are not me, why are you answering?

Hit 55KG for 5x5 pretty cleanly next up 42.5KG for 10x10 then I'll try for 57.5. I did but 1pl8 for a rep two weeks ago.

If you have no lat development at all, it's easy for your elbows to go too far back.

>stalling at 42.5kg 3x5

What do

leg thrust cheat and controlled negative

i like ohp alot its my favorite lift when i do ohp i feel like superman

Here's what you're going to do, next time load up 47.5 and leg drive it up for first rep and then breathe out when pushing like a steam engine. MINDSET.

>tfw I've never gotten high from OHP
Lucky bastard.

1pl8 for 4 reps
Got over a plateau by FUCKTONS OF VOLUME and drop sets.
And push pressing supramaximal weights (use a belt)

After one year of ss my 1rep max was about 145 lbs

4/5on set 4. I did 5/5 on set 5

>be me
>at gym yesterday
>doing bench
>hear autistic train noises coming from squat rack
>look over and see guy OHP 1pl8
>everytime he pushes, audible CHOO CHOO screeches across Gym floor
>see him in lockeroom later, muttering something about the Fat Controller

time for the ol' doctoroo

And set 1-3 where 5/5? Then yeah just pretend you hit the reps as normal if it was an obvious issue that's been resolved, ie hungover.

Crushed 72,5 kg x 5 x 5 a couple weeks ago, OHP has been on hiatus since as I tweaked my lower back doing block pulls. I did the Z press with a belt in the meantime, I feel that it's one of the best assistance exercises for the OHP, forces you to brace properly and get out of the hole faster. Now that I'm doing rehab deadlifts and other light lower back work I feel like continuing with my program and going for 75 x 3 x 5. My PR from last spring is 77,5 kg, really satisfied with the amount of progress I've made. I think I'll go for 85 by the end of the year. A bit more way to go for a bodyweight OHP as I'm a short and fat fuck.

Do you guise have a shoe preference? I think that squeezing the glutes is a tad easier with weightlifting shoes, but I see no difference in performance to chuck taylors.

Yep, set 1-3 where 5/5.

Thanks brother

>i drink a shitload of water

What's your salt intake currently? Drinking lots of water while not eating more salt is an easy way to be weak and dizzy all the time.

>people not sharing push press stats and calling them OHP
never gonna make it

actual good advice someone gave me: if you are doing ohp while holding your breath throughout the whole set (which is doable for up to sets of 5 i'd say) breathe in just enough before you begin and dont take an extremely big breath. in my experience it helps a lot i dont know the science behind it but i assume it has to do with the large amounts of tension a big breath would result in.
the other way to do it is by breathing after every rep i guess but i find that i lose my stability much easier if i do that

Can dumbbells be used for OHP? My apartment's to small for a barbell.

Kek same happened to me with a 50kg ohp. I guess I should have taken a bigger breath.

Finally got over my 95 pounds plateau and I gotta say, fuck this lift .

Finally hit 135 for 1 rep

>he doesn't choo for ohp gains
not gonna make it

>Still got squats
My point wasn't about leg strength. It was that without leg drive, you focus on what you're trying to hit--the core, shoulders, and triceps. Unless you're olympic lifting, in which case you want to do push-press because of carry-over

>Already do abs
There's more to core than abs. And if you're having back issues with your OHP, your core and abs are still weak. Cutting out more exercises or trying to turn a compound into more of an isolation probably isn't the answer.

>So shoulder wise identical and back wise safer.
Not really. By taking out your glutes and a lot of your core from the equation, you're increasing the likelihood of having a slip in form and tweaking your back. Especially when you're relying on a bench to brace your back and your core/back are already weaker than they should be for your given lift.

Your choice, but seated press is more of an accessory lift than a primary one.

Good job

More upper back work
More delt work
More tricep

This is why you should get off this board and not listen to anyone, there are too many dyels giving advice or discrediting things

a strong upper back is absolutely essential for a strong press

I don’t normally post but you need to take everything with a grain of salt as most here are brainlets

80lbs for 5 reps. ORM is probably a bit higher but I haven't tried

Manlet edition: 5'8 180. Just hit a PR of 185x2 while I was going for a 1RM on Tuesday

>50kg OHP
>85kg squat

Get more salt.
I used to almost black out exactly like that, i would hold my breath unrack and get all dizzy.
It didnt happened when using lower weight.
Turns out Hyponatremia is pretty common in "athletes" cuz drinking lots of water will do that to you.
Electrolites and/or a salty snack will help.

>just did 115 4x4 today
god damn lads, I was pressing the bar not too long ago
gonna hit 1 pl8 before I get 2/3/4

Soon you’ll be able to combine the exercises for the ultimate compound exercise

Gonna start the OHP CHOO tomorrow

>4x80 kg
>stalled hard
fucking end me

I can do 40kg (not counting bar) for reps. that's mediocre, right? that's less than half my weight (88kg). I feel like I should be able to lift 55 or 60kg over my head.