Why do I see guys at my gym who workout like crazy for years but make no gains?

Why do I see guys at my gym who workout like crazy for years but make no gains?

Other urls found in this thread:

researchgate.net/publication/51113664_Effect_of_Two_Different_Weight-Loss_Rates_on_Body_Composition_and_Strength_and_Power-Related_Performance_in_Elite_Athletes?ev=pub_srch_pub
mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/diverticulitis-diet/faq-20058333
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Low Test, or they don't know how to eat

They dont eat big
>expecting to gain muscle working out while eating as much as you normally do to maintain the same weight

maybe they just fuck around, no actual routine

that or the diet is garbage, or both.
ANY OTHER PRESSING QUESTIONS YOU FUCK

they don't have a defined goal

probably dont have that sickening supp stack

Skinny- not enough food
Fat- too much food
Old- not enough test
Young- not enough time in the gym

Training alone with no program is the biggest obstacle for a casual gym goers progres.

this is me lol

coming up to 3 years of lifting and i'm yet to press 50 kg

bad programming, insufficient calories (usually this), mediocre genetics

any combination of those

In addition to everything else said, if they dont have a sub 15% bodyfat, unless theyre built, they wont appear like they lift. Its important to be cut for muscle to really stand out for most people.

>coming up to 3 years of lifting and i'm yet to press 50 kg

GOTTA EAT BIG TO GET BIG C'MON
changed my life

Are there any studies that show gaining muscle while eating a deficit? Im trying to get 3k calories but my job has me walking 15k steps a day and i go to the gym 3 to 5 days a week. I stuffed my face for breakfast and it still only ended with like700 calories. I know im getting enough protein but out eating all of the movement feels like the hardest part of all this.

any advice for stalling at 185 bench? im in a tough spot because if i bench too much ill aggravate my rolled shoulders

My progress constantly stalled when doing traditional programs and compounds due to injuries.
I've started having consistent progress now that I do front squat, single leg RDL, knee height rack pulls, high rep DB bench, and isolation exercises to prevent muscle imbalances.

you aren't going to gain size as a natty on a deficit. 3k isn't even that much man, how did you get fat enough to cut if you can't even eat 3k?

I hit 1/2/3/4 and i dont want to get any bigger but i really enjoy working out lol

How do you look? You can be weak as shit and still look good

Could try dropping weight and increasing reps, pyramid sets, IDing where your bench is weak (is it your pecs, shoulders, triceps?) and doing supplement work on them.

>get fat enough
What? No i weigh 188 as of today and ever since I dropped drinking Ive been just shedding the weight since actual food is easy enough to have self control on. I just cant get a good idea on how much to eat with how much I move and its already tough getting those calories above 2500.

Get on a wider bench or at least one with a better pad. Get a handoff. Retract your scapula. Closer hand placement. Touch lower on your torso.

aside from potential noob gains, probably not. Read Lyle McDonald's article on the topic

Calculate your TDEE, subtract your body weight in pounds x 3.12. You can eat this much of a calorie deficit and not lose muscle.

You'll still get noob gains even if you are eating at a more extreme deficit and eating plenty of protein, but you can't keep it up for long.

Really bad sleep and/or stress, can totally kill all gains.
Sleep disorder (apne) more common for older people and young people can stress out over future, work/school, gf/drama, close friends comitting suicice and shit like that.

Add 5 lbs to the bar every week. Most guys try to add 20-50 lbs and then when they can’t lift it, they stick with the amount of weight they always lift. If you add 5 lbs every week that’s 20 lbs added onto your major lifts every month. Also eat a little bit more as you progress, anything, eat a spoonful of peanut butter in between meals or something.

>Spooky gym skeletons don’t understand progression

So noob gains are safe while I figure out how much activity Im really burning off from all this working? Thats a relief if its the case.

It's because they work out like crazy. Everyone knows you only need 20 minutes twice a week

They don't know how to program. They don't know how to eat. They don't know shit. They just fuck around and do random shit.

Its one of the reason you should do SS imo. You'll be making crazy gains, learn how to follow a set program and how to progress.

I worked out for years without any gains until I did a few things at once:

1) Switched from machines/curlbro bullshit to a barbell program (variant of SS with a bit more upper body work)
2) Stopped going to gym every day like a retard - stuck to 3x/week to let my body recover
3) Started taking creatine

I think 2) was my main problem, I had always assumed no pain no gain, if there's no progress it's because I'm not working hard enough. So I'd increase frequency and volume, feel like absolute shit with pain all over, and remain butthurt due to no progress. I hear excessive volume is the #1 mistake nogainers make. I made that mistake because I'd been reading advice online from men who NOW I know use steroids and were on some 6-day a week program that is insane for natties.

Because they don't eat enough

You just need to eat really calorie dense stuff dude. Nuts are great for this, you can carry them around in a pocket and snack on them throughout the day. 100g peanuts = 550 kcal.

fuck
i workout 3 hours everyday
i do almost 2 hours of lifting
and then an hour of cardio
i just can't seem to get everything done quick enough
i always need to rest between sets, i've been trying to add some stuff like farmer's carry and ankle balancing work with 120lb dumbells too so that i never roll my ankles again
so i fill up the entire time with a bunch of random stuff like back roller, ab wheel, lat pull down for abs, calves, forearms, etc
am i not going to grow? the only days i take off are holidays when the gym is closed

jesus christ I would hate to see your workout dude, you sound like a walking memester

>Start out in the gym
>Create a """serious""" routine for me
>It's 3-5 hours long
>Do this same routine every day of the week
>Finally got my shit together and got a proper routine
>It's 1 to 1.5 hours long and four times a week
I have no idea how I spent that much time in the gym. Now I get destroyed every time I go.

Oh yeah I'll definitely take the advice on that one, im just saying since I know working as a salesman I know im burning a lot of calories a day on top of going to the gym a lot so it was reccomended i just watch my weight to be sure of my tdee. I was worried that while Im trying to get up to whatever my tdee actually is that Im not actually getting gains starting out. But is it actually a thing that Ill still be gettung the beginner gains or am I basically wasting days im not eating a gorillion calories?

I know a guy, who wakes up at 4am to go to the gym and his diet is entirely carbs, he literally eats pasta sandwiches, plain pasta in between white bread, has absolutely no gains

Jesus man, I was pressing 50kg after my first month and I wasn't even on a strength routine, just a meme isolation split

Basically wasting days.

Yes you can gain muscle on a deficit as long as its not extreme and youre getting enough protein

You may need to increase your back work. Dumbell rows, barbell rows, and face pulls to strengthen the back, which could help stabilize the shoulders (assuming your shoulders aren't permafucked due to severe injury or shitty geometry).

Then you can increase binch volume and get better at binch.

Them conflicting statements. Are there any worthwhile studies on this?

i start my day off with the barbell compound of the day (i cycle through dl, bench, squat, ohp repeat so i get plenty of recovery time before i use the same muscles again).
i don't do a warmup i just establish a top set and then do 3 to 5 amrap drop sets from that top set weight
then i do an accessory (high rack pull, pin press with double my bench max, pin squats, pin ohp) to really overload that muslce group
then i do an isolation (barbell hypers, lat pull down, chest assisted rows, pec press, lat pull down abs/obliques, inclined dumbbell crunches, reverse hypers, dumbell curls, inclined dumbell press)
then i do my hour of cardio to cool down
idk how you guys fit everything in less than hour

Read this sci-fit.net/2017/bulking-deficit-gaining/

Its the "I eat so much but I'm still skinny meme", every person who says this only eats one or two meals a day, and usually eats something big in front of someone, who reinforces the meme. Eat five times a day, every day, that's it.

Seriously thanks user, and of course Ill start working on getting my daily eating up.

Fucking checked

WAY too much volume, holy shit. I lift 3x/week, about 1.5 hours max. Pick a routine (SS, 5x5, etc) and stick with it, making adjustments here and there. Cardio could also be killing you.

>Cardio could also be killing you.
nice meme

Yeah.. great way to get colon diverticulitis.

Where did you get 3.12 from? Source? Currently loosing 100kcal of muscle according to this calculation

3.12 is the number pi from math

they dont eat right

No, its 3.14 that is pi DUMBASS HAHAHAHA

Pi is approx 3.14159265359

>be skeltal with desire 2 swole
>start with plain bar
>gradually increase up to 30kg total
>increase by further 2.5 per bench session (once every four days)
>plateau at 45 5x5, sometimes fail reps
>try 47.5 once in a while, still failing reps
I'm getting heavier, but my bench press has been like that for weeks.

>3 years of lifting
>yet to press 50 kg

Typo, it's actually 3.2 so that would make sense.

researchgate.net/publication/51113664_Effect_of_Two_Different_Weight-Loss_Rates_on_Body_Composition_and_Strength_and_Power-Related_Performance_in_Elite_Athletes?ev=pub_srch_pub

Thank mate! Will give it a read so my next cut will be as beneficial as possible.

its called intensity, everytime I talk to normies they tell me how they spent 2-3h in the gym and destroyed their body. lets be real here if you go all out and do reasonably short pauses you will be gassed after 90min anyway and the rest is rather pointless or just accessory work anyway.

bad diets, no knowledge of programming and inconsistency

in an average gym maybe 5 guys will make it beyond early intermediate. most will stick around the 1/2/3/4 mark ie just after the easy noob gains with no thought/effort required

>used to workout all the time
>eat more = lose weight,and other times ill fast and gain weight
>felt like i was getting bigger but in way i didnt expect ; growing more uperbuddy muscle while on weeks that im focusing on lower body
>its the same when i went to school and some classes that i studied in hard i flunked and some that i winged i got 80+% on the constant
>i pretty much dont know what to do with my life at this point

workout is a noun

are you actually enjoying the bench press ? are you sitting in your car smiling about the fact that you get to fucking press those 50kg today ? If not then I think that is your main problem user.

I had a psychological plateau on DL before, deep down i dreaded the DL and was somewhat afraid of putting more than 3pl8 on and abandoned lifts early or didnt believe in it.

You know what helped me ? Visualize your success, watch videos of people lifting heavy ass weight and realize those 50kg are a joke and you are gonna fucking throw them through the ceiling. Put the music louder in your car when you drive to the gym and sing along hyping yourself up. And you know what user put 50kg on the bar or even 55kg FUCK THIS SHIT dude you are strong enough. and even if you dont get to 5reps with 55kg who cares ? Even if you just do 3 it is a success. Dont think so much just enjoy it and go all out user.

I am 100% sure you can do it on a physical level it is all a mental block at this point. Also try to move the bar as fast as you can even on your warmups.

I take its a video
whats the source for this soyboy meme?

Im in the exact same spot as you, with the same weight

partly this

everyone has different obstacles. many guys struggle with form eg slowly lowering into a half squat with shit flexibility, these are the guys who will never get beyond 3 plates if that

This. i'm hitting early intermediate and want to fucking kill myself. Nobody said there would be this much fucking nerd shit involved.

>mfw I pressed more my first go in the gym

WOOOOAAAAAAH BRO

>become intermediate
>go all out but just cant get stronger
>have to take it slower because of work and lots of other shit I got going on in life
>my lifts are going up when they should be going down

sometimes I dont understand, I am not overtraining. yet when I go easier and maybe even have to skip a workout I seem to get stronger as a result. I "only" train 4 times a week and dont feel like I overtrain, why does more rest and less intensity seemingly improve my results ?

Are we talking bench or overhead?

even boris fucking sheiko could only speculate when you don't post routine or diet. for the record, nuckols has some convincing evidence as to why days or even multiple weeks off can be beneficial to training.

but i'm not talking about guys who know what's up but perhaps don't stick to it 100% of the time, i'm talking dudes who do 5x5 forever and similarly silly shit. but who can blame them, this knowledge is difficult to come by unless you are in the right circles or stumble upon the right websites or books.

its fine user, I am gonna change my routine soon anyway since i have more time now I think it was just not focused enough on my goals. recently I did shorter workouts and pretty much only focused on the big lifts and moving a lot of weight. so I guess it is just natural my lifts increase. still it seems weird that less time spent results in more success sometimes. but I guess it is simply because its more strength focused.

anyway I was just rambling I will go back on an actual program soon anyway. for now I just have a vague concept of what I want to do every workout and depending on how I feel I change it up a bit. which actually works surprisingly well for now.

Low intensity, high volume doesn’t work for natties

I can already tell you put way too much time and energy into accessories
Focus on compounds, put all your effort and energy into those, by the end of it you should be too tired to even do any accessories

Also an hour of cardio after 2 hours of lifting? Wtf is wrong with you? 30 mins tops

>are you actually enjoying the bench press ?
The feeling of getting into position is maximum comfy, I could fall asleep like that.
This is mixed with the fear of getting stuck and the anger from stalling so low.
I figure a spotter might help with the former.

>and even if you dont get to 5reps with 55kg who cares ? Even if you just do 3 it is a success
Huh. I've been working with the assumption that only five clean reps count as a good set.
Would it make sense to go 5x5, and then use leftover energy to push towards 1RM?

30 minutes is barely enough to get my heart rate up to 130

Okay? Aren't you doing it to cool off? Why do you even need to do it so hard? 15-30 mins then leave

1/2/3/4 or gfto

i'm doing it for my cardiovascular health
and to do some fat burning

prob you are one those guys who do half rep or go to the gym and sit on phone all fucking day then do 2 sit ups and call it a day.

GTFO OF MY GYMM

what cardio are you doing, walking? 15 minutes of HIIT (done properly) on the stepper will make you wish you were dead and your heart rate will skyrocket. you are obviously doing cardio at far too low an intensity

who says you cant test your 1RM or do more weight one day ? sometimes the best way to get past a plateau like yours is to just put more weight on the bar and bench it. Once you have benched 55kg even just for 1 rep 50kg will feel lighter for you I guarantee it.

generally yes 5 clean reps is the way to go if that is your program BUT if you are stuck why not do something different ? also one workout where you dont stick to your 5 rep scheme isnt gonna kill you. Hell you could even go in and just bench a shitton for a few hours with varying styles weight and whatever just do the movement and have fun with it again.

But I am just throwing around ideas, what I want to say is do something different. That can be a balls to the wall 1RM, deloading and approaching the weight slowly again or just a different change. I know as a beginner you have your program and dont think beyond it but if you deviate occasionally and listen to your body there is nothing wrong with that. If I feel great I add a set sometimes, if I dont feel like benching at all sometimes I go heavier on the OHP and lighter on the bench.

programs are good, having fun and sticking to it is more important. if you put in the work you will be rewarded user. just always try to push yourself that is the most important thing no matter what. also get a spotter

>dont know that u have to PR Volume every workout

>The feeling of getting into position is maximum comfy, I could fall asleep like that.
what the fuck are you doing then? bench press is the most physically uncomfortable you should ever be in the gym, youre supposed to feel like a compressed shit being squashed betweed the floor and your shoe. do you even try to get tight?

Eat ice cream. You can easily down a small bucket in one sitting.

They had low testosterone or low eating or low amounts of scoops.

>on accutane for 8 months
>can't risk heavy weight or joints could snap
It's easy to get into a routine, I only noticed it last month that I've been doing the same shit for almost a year. I don't have a choice, but a lot of them get comfortable and are afraid to move up to more weight or add more complexity to their routines.
Or they fucking lift 20lbs for three years and eat nothing but soy bacon, one of the two.

there's no fucking point in 1RMs unless you are going to compete. the systemic stress is shit for the the payoff you'll get. better to do a 10RM or even 20 rep sets or something

Sprint for 15 seconds, there’s your 130 heart rate fag

Kek spoken like a real dyel

adding to that the fact that you dont have a spotter makes me almost certain you are abandoning sets when you couldve gotten 1-2 more reps.

if someone is stuck at a 47.5kg bench press for weeks/months he needs to change something and chances are his problems are only psychological. so in my mind the best thing is to break that psychological barrier is to just put more weight on the bar and move it. sure he can do 10RM but that wont take his fear from the weight away from him. If he benches 55kg however 50kg wont look as scary/hard to him anymore.

50kilo for 5 reps is pretty damn low and very in the beginner stages of lifting. You are most likely doing something wrong. You are not sleeping and eating enough. You you have poor technique, you don't warm up properly. You are doing a lot of other shit before your bench, you are doing a lot of other pushing exercises after you bench which is doing nothing but stopping your progress. All you need to do is fucking 3x5 of a pressing motion 3 times a week. Switcthing between OHP and bench.

Literally wrong. It's time under tension that's important, soyboy, not your shitty 1 inch reps. You can literally make 1 rep if it's slow enough.

nah spoken like someone who actually understands programming

>"you're askin the wrong fuckin questions bro train HARD"
u

Both

total bollocks, from all point of view

>time under tension being in the same sentence as 1RM
o i am laffin

Onionsterone is too low

mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/diverticulitis-diet/faq-20058333

>In the past, doctors recommended that people with small pouches (diverticula) in the lining of the colon avoid nuts and foods with small seeds, such as tomatoes, cucumbers and strawberries.

>It was thought that these tiny food particles could lodge in diverticula and cause inflammation (diverticulitis). But there is no scientific evidence that seeds and nuts cause diverticulitis flares.