Started dead-lifting for the first time today

>started dead-lifting for the first time today
>start with 35 on each side to try and get form right
>try it first absolutely terrible. Everyone sees and half the guys there come over to help me
>show me how to keep my back straight like pic related
>do it properly but it feels very awkward. strain in upper thighs
>decide to add more weight
>try to lift it. Its hard. i dont think ill be able to do that, keep the form right
>worried im going to fuck up my back

what do fit. The form seems so awkward.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wYREQkVtvEc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>he fell for the deadlift meme

What a stupid exercise. You don't need deadlifts brah.

I honestly do them from 4" blocks because my back always rounds if I do them off the floor.

If you're having problems with your upper back losing tightness you should do front squats.

>awkward
>don't know how to do movement
>decide to add more weight
Fucking idiot.

Post your back and I'll post mine, you need deadlifts
video your form of you want advice, everyone does it slightly different maybe try sumo too and see which you like better

Want to know how I know you suck at deadlifting?

You keep practicing you fucking retard. Did you expect to lift 4 plates with perfect form your first time? Jfc

stop trolling

Are you impressed with my unflexed unpumped back that I achieved without deadlifts or squats?

op keep working on your form so you don't wind up looking like

He's saying you're a DYEL.

Ha! You don't see the unpumped traps? The well defined spinal column? The lumbar bulge?

interesting case of body dysmorphia. usually it's big guys thinking they're forever dyel, not the other way around

Keep working at it or switch to sumo. I just did and it feels better than conventional ever did

I just started and the advice I read was keeping the bar close to your leg as you bring it up so start the lift pushing your legs up with your glutes (?) And when you get around the knee raise your chest and keep the back straight.

Not sure if I got the description right but someone checked my form and said it looked right.

No matter how much I deadlift my grip strength keeps holding me back. It isn't an issue for every other lift, which I have been improving on, but my grip strength had kept me on a deaflift plateau for most of this year. For reference, I started lifting a year and a half ago, and started taking it seriously almost a year ago, and I still struggle to diddly more than 2 plate.

The bar must touch your shins.

you have literally zero lats

Based user inspiring people to go deadlift by posting his horrible physique

Mixed grip, or straps if you don't wanna compete or idk fuckwit maybe make your grip stronger

Mixed grip, chalk, straps, etc.

Videos,ripptoeknows and read info easy dont listen to people in the gym unless you see they are trust worthy,first time I deadlifted I asked a guy and his deadlifts were terrible

do grip strength exercises

Hey user, i had the same issue. My grip was weak, I couldn't hold 2plate for more than 2-3 reps when i started deadlifts in august (. Now i can pull 3plate with overhand grip for 6 reps and my max is actually 4plate which i can hold with mixed grip, no straps.
What i did is using straps when my grip failed, but also did more sets/reps on the lower end without them to strengthen the grip. Plus Farmer's walk and hanging from a bar for as long as you can.
This latter is really difficult for me as my skin is getting fukkked, callouses and all. Painful too. Anyone any advice on this?

chalk

Gee thanks buddy I never thought of that

could you guys be so kind and rate my back? Am I on track?
>almost 4pl8 diddly

eat less tubby

Yeah man 405 isn't super impressive when its x1 bodyweight

not saying it is impressive. its just where I am now. And more like 1.4x bodyweight

:(

somewhat related - can i make it to 1/2/3/4 with shit form and still avoid injury?

i ask b/c i know my form is shit and i'd like to improve it but i lift at home without any mirrors or bros so it's pretty much impossible to tell how i'm moving.

>can i make it to 1/2/3/4 with shit form and still avoid injury?
maybe
will it significantly increase your risk of injury?
yes

I-I can be your lifting bro if y-you want

I am qt but I am unironically autistic and only lift alone

record yourself with cellphone nigguh

only have a dumbphone never fell for the smartphone meme

you got those wide(r) lats, keep working gaylad

I've only been training for 1mo, been doing deadlifts, i know i have bacne but hows my back looking bros?

very hard to 'criticize' with only 1 month, but keep working at it mate, and EAT.

Start with the bar, or even a 10kg bar or broomtick. DL form is hard to get right.

The price of bad deadlift form is a destroyed back.

Work on your form with less weight dumbfuck.

Try different types of deadlifts and stick with the ones that suit you. I personally hate conventional because it feels very awkward and unnatural, so I don't do it. If you're not competing in the sport of powerlifting, there's nothing that mandates that you need to exclusively perform a particular lift. Try things like a sumo deadlift, trap-bar deadlift, jefferson deadlift, behind the back deadlift, etc.

Usually the movements that people hate and feel awkward doing are the lifts people hurt themselves on. People like to go back and forth all day on which deadlift is superior, but it really comes down to personal preference and what movements suit you the best.

Before you move on to all these weird variations though, I would recommend you try to fix your conventional and get a bit stronger at it. If you're unable to get tight in that position and perform it with proper form, there's probably some sort of imbalance there that should not be ignored.

Basically, just work on fixing your conventional deadlift as best you can, and if it still feels uncomfortable even with perfect form, experiment with different pulling styles.

damn son. don't know what to tell you then.
youtube.com/watch?v=wYREQkVtvEc

watch this, will probably help. I know it helped me. You can do a "checklist" on your form before every rep to see if you are OK, there are few things that indicates if your form is good.

>shoulders should be slightly covering the bar (as in pic)
>arms should be basically straight down
>bar should ALWAYS remain over midfoot, because this is where your balance is, if the bar is too far foward or too far back it will cause problems, maybe not now, but with more weight

its hard to explain typing, but try and follow thrall's advice, you should b good

kek. start doing some kind of deadlift dude

more like 0.4x amirite

1 month isnt shit, come back in 6-12 months and ask.

But it looks like you have decent trap genetics. Keep lifting and eating and in a few years you will look like Fronk Yong

nah. I dl 146kg (321lbs)

191cm (6'2), weigh 105kg (231lbs)

>Fell for the meme meme

Jesus Christ. You're not supposed to keep it close to your legs. You're supposed to literally drag the thing up your legs. As in: contact with your legs. Not close. Actual contact.

>never fell for the smartphone meme
I used to think smartphones were a meme too, but I was seriously underestimating how useful it is to walk around with an internet-connected computer in your pocket. Even without mobile internet (hello third world), there are a bunch of useful apps that don't need it.
Do yourself a favour and get one if you have any money to spare.

how much does it actually affect the mechanics of the lift if the weight is just off the legs? this is another thing I'm seeing a lot of contradicting stuff on so I want to figure it out before I do this for a while. also are you saying everything else about what I described is right?

4" blocks will help you as a crutch, but ultimately this is an issue of mobility. go through your shit as a checklist. check your hamstrings, glutes, and upper back for tightness. Make sure your shins are near vertical. etc.