/CSG/ - Cold Shower general

Brown adipose tissue expends fat as heat instead of storing it for future use by the body. Brown fat activity is most apparent during exposure to cold.

Well fatties, why aren't you taking cold showers on the regular?

Other urls found in this thread:

jci.org/articles/view/60433?key=5e3684aee3d55b74adc8
roguehealthandfitness.com/could-cold-showers-cut-muscle-growth/).
ergo-log.com/coldshowers.html
health.harvard.edu/blog/placebo-can-work-even-know-placebo-201607079926
thebroscientist.com/bullshit-cold-showers-youve-told-far/
thebroscientist.com/5-real-scientific-benefits-cold-showers/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

because I'd rather have a comfortable shower than a placebo

it's not a placebo

Can we get some sources explaining that cold showers do this?
That aside, I love cold showers before I start a busy day, but no point on doing them on my lazy days

And then failed to read the rest of the paragraph. American education at its very best.

>im too much of a pussy to not be comfy all of the time therefore its placeboo
Grow a pair you degenerate.

Point out how the "rest of the paragraph" is contradictory to the original post, faggot.

what book is this?

do fat people have less in terms of straight amount or less in terms of % of all body fat?

the rest of the paragraph is saying nothing against the start

better picture with the preceding text

I'm not sure I'm entirely convinced on cold showers for weight loss if it took three hours of cold for 250 calories to burn

>overweight and obese people have less brown fat activity than others

so increased brown fat activity due to exposure to cold should be beneficial, no?

Source?

There are other benefits to taking cold showers. The metabolism boost, even if brief, helps get the fat burning, regardless.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe brown fat is the kind you want to *retain* and white fat is the kind you want to to go away.

Well, obviously

adults have minimal brown fat

>needing any other reason to cold shower other than because it feels good.

Right, but it gets the brown fat active.

always helps to have more reasons to do it

Taking cold showers is more about mind set and increasing discipline, not really going to burn that much extra calories.

jci.org/articles/view/60433?key=5e3684aee3d55b74adc8

>Jewish Clinical Investigation
discarded

Started getting back into cold showers. Something about them is so damn refreshing.

whenever winter comes around, the back of my head starts saying "take a hot shower, you'll get so warm and it'll be great".

but hot showers just make me feel cold the second i step out. with cold showers, i feel warm when i step out, plus awake as fuck.

quads confirm, take cold showers everyday. The comfiness you lose you get instantly back when you're finished. So many happy hormones it's unbelievable.

It lowers T levels and increases cortisol

stop with this meme

this

proof or you're full of shit

>brown fat makes up less that 1% of all fat cells

that is such a negligible amount i dont know why this thread is still continuing.

Cold showers dont do jack shit for fat, it's not cold enough, and if you were to get it cold enough, you probably couldnt last the recommended time to activate the fat

>hot showers
>doesn't cause bathroom to get steamy and hot as fuck

you know how i know you don't actually take hot showers?

Because brown adipose tissue is less active in fatties.

why even mention brown fat? Is losing 1% of all fat going to make fatties lose more than 1lb?

Why mention brown fat? This thread is clearly not for you. Go read up on it. Start with the textbook screen shots.

>brown fat makes up less than 1% of all fat in humans

so why even mention it?

Three hours all at once? Yeah not super helpful, but three hours over a week for 52 weeks a year? That's potentially 13000 calories burned a year for doing literally nothing but showering differently.

Because it has the effect of turning fat directly into heat and not storing it in the body. Just because it's 1% doesn't mean it's not effective.

>the role of brown fat in weight regulation is not yet understood

Unless what I am reading is from 1980s in that screenshot, you don't know what the fuck you are talking about

>not yet understood
Because maybe it's not absolutely solid, indisputably proven yet. But here's the thing: it's more credible than anecdotal bro science. So believe what you will. Take it seriously or don't.

>not fully proven yet
Then post another citation of the actual theory. Otherwise, ironically enough, you are spewing out bro science.

Right, I'm sure a credible textbook that has been around (and continually updated) for about 20 years prints bro science. This thread is not for you, friend.

The text states clearly that its not understood yet. But it doesn't go into detail of whats known and what parts are still left for future studies. Do you not understand what I am trying to get at here? It sounds like you are reading just 1 sentence and leaving out the rest or some shit.

>three hours over a week
That would mean 25 minute-long showers everyday, lad

>you can trust me, no need to look anything up

>because maybe

at this point, you are stating opinions

Not the poster but, so? 1 15-minute shower in the morning and one at night. Doesn't seems to be a big challenge.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it also said that brown fat makes up 1% of fat in humans so the effect would be marginal at best

>role of brown fat in weight regulation is not yet understood

no one here really knows. What everyone is saying is absolute bro science

Marginal just because it makes up 1%? For all you know, that 1% of fat could have a powerful effect on converting fat to heat.

For perspective, do you know how little radioactive material it takes to make a lot of energy?

a hot shower is the best part of my day
I take like an hour in them too

or you could just eat a little less instead of torturing yourself every time you take a shower
I have yet to see any science anywhere that says cold showers are better
that little textbook excerpt doesn't count

and for all you know, it might not do anything at all. user said to correct him, not to repeat what he is trying to get at in a condescending manner

You're a fucking idiot.
>brown fat is good
>white fat is bad
Learn anatomy you degenerate
>nursefag

Only Niggers and Beaners can't handle the cold

I thought its the opposite?

Its not a challenge issue for me, just large waste of water, money, and time for miniscule results

Is a cold shower useless if I've already eaten for the day?

newfag to cold showers here

I take cold showers cuz turning on my electric water heater consumes a shit ton of fucking electricity just so I can be a comfortable princess.

But cold showers do nothing besides maybe, maybe getting you a little accustomed to the cold. and making you a little less of a bitch every time you have to step under the water..

I'd rather take hot showers honestly, they open up your pores and you leave generally cleaner and feeling better, and I feel no other difference any way, I also shower every day.

Cold showers are mostly a meme. They're good for waking up, maybe there's a discipline aspect in making sure you go through with it, and its better for your skin than hot water, but a lukewarm/room temperature shower would be just as beneficial and not carry the negatives that the stress of cold showers give you

what the fuck

Because it's -10C outside, and I get sick from cold showers.

Because warm showers have a proven restorative effect after a hard workout. You're trading one advantage for another.

Tl:dr - shower at whatever fucking temperature you want

I work out in the evening and after take a hot shower before I go to sleep. In the morning I take a cold shower (gradually make it colder) to feel more awake. Am I getting both benefits or is what I am doing bullshit?

I actually enjoy cold showers, but cold immersion has been shown to be a gains goblin, because it helps with muscle inflammation, which is actually needed for muscle growth (roguehealthandfitness.com/could-cold-showers-cut-muscle-growth/). But I still end my showers with a quick cold shower, mainly targeting my head, chest/back, and balls, to close my pores. When I start cutting and maintaining, I will fully go for prolonged cold showers. Feels especially good after cardio.

I simply never knew. Gonna take one right the fuck now.

>not going full universal soldier mode and taking ice baths
you're never gonna make it

Been doing it a while start got end shower with 3-4 mon blast of full cold water. If you build up to it’s fine. Wakes me up and gives me focus I like it.

But then again, I’m not a fucking pussy

Personally I feel a lot less sluggish getting out a cold shower versus a warm shower. The feeling of warming up feels a lot better vs. the feeling of cooling off after a warm shower. Also keeps me from getting too comfy and staying in there for 10 or 15 minutes.

I took cold showers for a period.

The Adrenalin dump after the shower made me feel more tired and lethargic 30minutes after.

My eyes started getting really dry over time and it was because you need heat to open up oil glands in you eyelids and clean out the dirt. cold shower=no oil glands opened=dirt debree buildup=no lube for my balls=dry balls.

It was not enjoyable or comfortable.

cold showers are kind of like a shitty version of an ice bath, which are an even shittier version of cryotherapy.

overall the benefits were tiny, and the commitment too large. True benefits come from extreme cold or extreme heat. Saunas at 100c over 3x20 minutes improve GH threefold and 10 sessions of cryotherapy reduces inflammation by alot and increase glutothion levels which is like steroids for health and fighting free radicals.

thinking cold showers will benefit you is like eating onions thinking youll get the same Test as someone on a cycle.

t. brainlets

t. manlet

>feel like the king of the world stepping out of a cold shower

cortisol my ass, I'd attempt to strangle a lion with my bare hands with the energy I feel after one

>Studying for more obesity treatments
WHY
FUCKING WHY
STOP EATING SO MUCH YOU GLUTTONOUS FAT FUCKS
WASTING NOT JUST YOUR LIFE BUT OTHERS

and sand niggers

hmmmm

ergo-log.com/coldshowers.html

Its not a placebo.... you can burn up to 17 calories in a cold shower vs 14 in a warm shower. That's more than 20%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jokes on you I'm 6'2

>cold showers are stressful

It causes physical stress on your body, yes. Constricts blood vessels, increases heart rate and breathing, maybe induce shivering and cold hives. This isn't an ideal thing for your body over time

Been taking cold showers for 4 months now, started taking them at 5am more recently as it's summer here now.

Changes I've noticed are that I have no more depression, my skin looks very healthy now, and I just all around feel much happier.

I've also taken a couple ice baths but at $10 for 3 bags, it'd get expensive to do often but it's awesome.

I doubt I'll ever use the hot water again DESU.

Makes me more talkative, I dig it

Read "What doesn't kill us" by Scott Carney, if you are not a brainlet and know how to read.

>believing crock

>Not a placebo

>Placebos work even if you know they are a placebo

health.harvard.edu/blog/placebo-can-work-even-know-placebo-201607079926

>Comfortable

aww that's ok sweetheart

>t. never taken cold shower
after a few minutes you get used to the cold and it doesn't even feel cold anymore, keep making excuses for your fear of being uncomfortable tho

I take cold showers sometimes, not an issue, what I'm saying is they aren't the godsend people pretend they are and there are some negative physical effects regardless of whether you find it comfy or not because of how your body reacts to cold water.

Cold showers release more dopamine and norepinephrine than a coffee plus it's all endogenous too so doesn't fuck up your receptors. And more importantly build up your distress tolerance.

Literal brainlets here today

If it does it's insignificant. The only research that has been done is in chronic cold exposure to mice. While mice have a similar organism to us, it's worth noting they're 100 times lighter than us. Just like the onion thing that boosts mice test by 314%, chronic cold exposure only lowers test by 20% in mice.
It's safe to assume we can't cruise on onions, it possibly an effect but nowhere as impactful. Same goes for cold exposure.

thebroscientist.com/bullshit-cold-showers-youve-told-far/
thebroscientist.com/5-real-scientific-benefits-cold-showers/

>He doesn´t even hit his balls with a hammer 5 times a day
Never gonna make it faggot.

'Cold' as defined to be how many degrees?

It will prevent protective oils being washed off your body and your external microbiome will remain stable, less sudden surges of regrowth cycle for the external microbiome, it also means oil secretions will not go into overdrive every night leading to less acne and less clogged pores and such.

Furthermore hot water results in dry skin, especially going from a hot and moist area into a much colder and drier enviorment will leech moisture from your skin, your lymph node will have to compensate and to do this certain pathways will need to be activated which may induce a restful/recuperation state as opposed to an activated high adrenal state.

Cold showers will improve circulation as does exposure to cold weather because the body needs to maintain its heat better.

even Putin is taking contrast baths

Makes sense to me, thanks user

What the fuck, thought brown fat only exists during the neonatal stage to keep you warm.
I'm not even sure adults can pack enough brown fat to the point of it being noticeable.