We need to talk about artificial sweeteners

We need to talk about artificial sweeteners

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-fructose_corn_syrup
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5515645/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What about them? Better than actual sugar, worse than not having them

I would argue that a naturally occurring chemical is always going to be far better for you

The alternative in most sodas is high fructose corn syrup. Far from natural

On what basis?

There are mechanisms and enzymes specifically designed to metabolize fructose. Not so with sweeteners. They could easily be fucking your body up. Biggest problem with fructose is ATP trapping and subsequent addiction

nothing wrong with them

I prefer the taste of sucralose to regular sugar in my coffee, but stopped using it because I don't trust that it has no subtle effects on health. I wouldn't piss on aspartame if it was on fire, tastes terrible. The only other 'low calorie' sweetener I've tried is something with 'erythritol' and 'steviol glycosides', and tastes uniquely bad enough that I wouldn't have it more than once.

I believe you're better off simply not eating/drinking products that contain excess sugar except on rare occasions, rather than attempting to replace some sort of comfort food with an artificially sweetened variant. Have your cake on people's birthdays, pancakes on your re-feeding days, pie when you visit your parents and/or a family dinner. Just know that when you're having your cake or can/bottle of cola with its 15 teaspoons of sugar that you're eating like a fat person, and fat people are disgusting. Don't be a fat person, and don't eat/drink that shit all the time.

This is true; IIFYM works because calories in calories out works. Artifical sweeteners do have a downside in that they taste bitter as fuck sometimes, but if you can stand it like a lot of people can then you get sweetness for almost zero calories.
It's like saying you can have chicken drumsticks or chicken breast; both have the same amount of protein, but one tastes better for more calories. If it fits your macros then go for it, man, but you could tetris a lot more into your day by having the chicken breast.

there is nothing wrong with soda. Most researched beverage on the planet and experts agree that it doesn't do any harm to the body.

we're not even talking about soda here, you illiterate mongo.

appeal to nature
not an argument

I watched a documentary on arti sugars that tested a group of people to see what effect it had on gut flora (bacteria in your gut you need to digest food)

1/3 was given sweeter, 1/3 sugar, 1/3 nothing. Of those given sweetener 50% of them lost nearly all their gut flora in the space of like two weeks. The other half had zero health effects.

I dont know about anyone else but im not willing to take a risk that fucking huge that can lead to serious health issues.

>fructose corn syrup
This is only in mutt country

I would argue in return that cyanide is naturally occurring.

>I would argue that a naturally occurring chemical is always going to be far better for you
absolutely disagree with this. there's plenty of natural shit that would destroy your body and plenty of synthetic stuff that is perfectly fine.

>There are mechanisms and enzymes specifically designed to metabolize fructose.
problem here is the quantity. the amount of sugar we take in has exploded and become harmful to our bodies. smartest thing to do would just be to reduce sugar intake but you go tell that to FattyMcGee and his 2L coke bottle for every meal.
the studies on this are kinda fucky too. they give 20 our of 40 guys no more sugar but aspartame instead. those guys show increased chance for depression now. no shit, if you make someone who's essentially addicted to sugar stop eating sugar he'll feel down.

>muh NATURE

inject snake venom

what do you want to talk about

they are great and lost me a lot of weight, I have a can of coke/pepsi max/zero/whatever bullshit they currently call it where I used to have a chocolate bar or something

>countries that use high fructose corn syrup
Literally all of them. Look at your cans of soda people. Look at your Gummi candy. I'm in Europe and this meme needs to end. I hear these fat pole smokers I call my friends make fun of americans all the time for this shit but they shovel the garbage in cause they (incorrectly) assume its not in our food.

IT'S EVERYWHERE YOU FUCKS. READ A LABEL FOR ONCE IN YOUR FAT LIVES.

That's not true at all. The body is extremely efficient at breaking down sweeteners.

There was an enormous stink a few years back about sweeteners forming formaldehyde after breaking them down, what was neglected to be mentioned in this anti-sweeterner mania was that the process is extremely quick, and that fruit being digested produce formaldehyde too, in larger quantities

It’s not natural to inject

I honestly just stick to water, there's no need for this soda shit, mind over body just drink healthy Veeky Forumsizens

This.

Artificial sweeteners taste like shit in comparison to the original.

I rather drink/eat the original thing or not eating that shit at all.

Water master race.

>soda doesn't do any harm to the body

one chemical
>aspartame
rip all fucking diet soda shills in this fucking thread
goddamn Veeky Forums sucks, everyone is paid to comment lol

Chicken breastfeeding is delicious, people just don't know how to make it. I used cheap, frozen chicken breast and made it taste delicious and juicy by brining it while it detected, added some rub, then I put it in the smoker and then put on the grill. It was pretty fucking good and still juicy even though I left it in a bit longer than I should.

Fuck, I meant chicken breast. Fuck phone posting.

Well all scientific evidence to date shows that artificial sweeteners don't cause any serious adverse effects in humans and that sugar causes diabetes and obesity while 33% of Americans are either diabetic or prediabetic and 33% are obese so.....Maybe you should have some cyanide. That's natural too.

Yeah they lost nearly all of their gut flora? That's a ridiculous claim. I think maybe ou don't know what you're talking about and unless that "study" is in writing with methods, proper controls, and IRB approval then it's shit.

>Natural chemicals are better for you
Try having some arsenic then.

>Chicken breastfeeding is delicious
phoneposters

Calm down pro artificial sweetener guy, it was just half of the people who lost their gut flora. Half of people are perfectly fine eating the stuff.

in what way is something man made not naturally occurring?

And you need to sip

>order a diet coke
>'why are you drinking diet coke, isn't it really bad for you? I thought you were into fitness blah blah'
>No, modern sweeteners are very well studied and are harmless
>'nah it HAS to be bad for you, I mean how could it not be? It makes stuff taste sweet with no calories? Nah c'mon it must give you cancer or something'
>It's 100% fine, there was actually a very big meta analysis done recently on aspartame than found no links whatsoever to cancer
>'hold on, let me get this article up on my phone that PROVES that it's bad for you'
>URL contains the words 'natural' or 'vegan'

EVERY. FUCKING. TIME.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-fructose_corn_syrup
> In the European Union (EU), HFCS, known as isoglucose in sugar regime, is subject to a production quota. In 2005, this quota was set at 303,000 tons; in comparison, the EU produced an average of 18.6 million tons of sugar annually between 1999 and 2001.

Yeah dude, whatever you say. American and Mexican sodas taste like shit just because of this.

Lol you didn't address anything.

He called the guy an idiot and said 'I don't believe you' to the study he was speaking of. There's nothing there to refute.

Cyanide is natural

What's the consensus on Mio or other water flavorings?

Tricks your brain into producing too much insulin, giving you cravings for more sugar/sweetener and possibly leading to diabetes.

I personally avoid them at any cost. Whey with flavor is a nogo.

this

so fucking tired of the natural sweetener vs sweetener in soda discussion.

i swear to god next time i hear someone say "but the artificial sweetener makes you hungrier which indirectly just gives the soda calories anyway"
i'm going to bash someone's scull in.

Or scream "I'm slim, you're fat, i drink diet soda, you don't, do we need more science?"

Yeah, that's the last thing a fat person needs, being more hungry. Avoid. Soda is garbage you don't need anyway.

thisi mean, if you're not full on clean eating and still drinking soda or anything with artificial sweeteners, sure we can have this discussion. but it's at times better to take the extra calories and sugar so you can have your craving satisfied and be done with it.

>"but the artificial sweetener makes you hungrier which indirectly just gives the soda calories anyway"
a girl i studied with owns this grocery store near my place so i buy my coke zero there, she is always telling me that its bad and i'll end up getting fat because fake sugar = insulin or some bullshit like that, today she told this "user, you know sweet stuff makes you more hungry and without the calories it makes you even more hungry, you'll end up getting fat"
i looked her in the eyes, looked at her fat belly, looked her in the eyes again and told her "you know what makes me hungry? working out, that doesn't mean i'm ending up fat you know?" later that day the coke zero was 1 dolar more expensive lol

the recently disproved this, the insulin spike meme for aspertame is no longer true

Reoccurring trends of bullshit studies released by the jews to either scare you into getting medical assistance, or coax you into buying more of a shitty product. Fuck, how can you brainlets not see this? It's an every day occurrence.

>consumption of nonnutritive sweeteners was associated with increases in weight and waist circumference, and higher incidence of obesity, hypertension, metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular events
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5515645/

Just say no, kids. Put down that soda, artificially sweetened or otherwise.

Basically drink water ya' dumb fats.

I feel like her BS argument relates to this ^

But somehow those dumb fat girls got it twisted and started tricking themselves into thinking sugar is a better alternative. Which is the funniest shit.

Here in australia Pepsi Max is cheaper than many brands of water. How funny is that.
it's not an argument, just made me realize.

>it is artifical therefore it's bad

lol.

actually that's not bad for you if you. although few studies have been done on it, injecting small amounts over the course of a few years can make you immune to snake venom. and might help you live longer.
look up Steve Ludwin

Obligatory.

AS nurture a bacterial strain in the gut that results in you being more hungry after consumption.