Groin pain

Just started lifting (second week of SL) and I am squatting 37,5kg (including bar lel)

Having some real groin pain today while warming up.

Anyone got any experience with dealing with this?

I assume I should stretch more (I do some light stretching) but I don't think it is enough.

fix your form. you dont need to stretch unless you have a special condition.

Had a friend with the same issue, most likely form. He was squatting with his legs too wide. How far are your legs apart in relation to your shoulders?

What's the pain feel like? I had something similar, but it was after my squat was up near 450x5. Anytime I went below parallel, I'd get a sharp pinching pain at the front, inside of the hip joint initially, and afterwards it felt like a tearing across my belt line.

Got diagnosed with FAI (Femoroacetabular impingement). Had hip surgery at 29 years old to fix it. Was told it was largely due to the overuse with squatting so much.

I don't squat anymore, mainly relying on deadlifts, leg extensions, and leg curls. And desu, my legs look even better than when I was squatting 3 days a week.

>tl/dr; don't buy into the meme. Squatting is okay, but in moderation, otherwise you'll have old man surgery too fucking early.

if your form is okay, brace your core

specifically squeeze every muscle you can in your lower body and abdomen as you go down

and back up obviously

The heels of my feet are just outside shoulder width. I have tried going a bit more narrow but then I cannot reach depth.

The pain is fairly sharp but constant. Now it just feels sore. It isn't something that is only during squatting.

I think I might have squatted with bad form and without proper warmup =/

I am also doing a week of nightshifts so my sleep isn't as good this week.

Be careful, bro. That's how it sounded like mine started. It would be a dull ache in the hip for a few days after, and I'd take meds, ice it, etc... Then after I felt better, I'd be right back at it.

I'm going to asume you went from couch to lifting.

Obviously your tight and weak as fuck.

"ow no i suddonly started training and im having all sorts of pains what do"

Stretch and fix form before just jumping up in weight.

experiment and always go ATG
>HEEL LIFTS. oly shoes exist for a reason
>wider/closer stance
>knees always track toes
>wider/closer foot angle
get some heel lifts, and what I like to do is go ATG with light weight and bob up and down a bit in the hole and adjust my feet until it feels comfy and right. this is your squatting position

>atg
into the trash

I just started and Im having that there as well but its the only place Im having the pain in. People have said my form looks right with knees lined up with toes, feet shoulder width and not letting my knees go crazy past my toes or anything. Im not saying Im doing nothing wrong but Im hoping its just stiffness or something

OP here

I spent a week or two practicing form on squats, and for now this is the only time I have experienced pain from squatting.

I will take a look at those shoes

I probably do need to stretch more.

Got any tips for stretching?

>I will take a look at those shoes
get off your chair right now, have your feet flat on the floor and try and squat. notice how your back will arch forward and you can't maintain balance all the way down?
now go on your tip toes and try the same. notice the difference. this is the effect heel lifts have on your squat

Just got converse myself because people were saying flat foot is needed for squat over the running shoes I had. Cant really afford much more cost than that though

What size shoes do you wear? I've got a pair of Adidas lift shoes with a raised heel that I'm willing to part with.

I also get this and have been liftan 2 years. My form is pretty good so not sure what it could be.

Any advice?

I just started lifting again after a 2 year hiatus (lifting on deployment is hrs pls no bully) and I get this too now, I know my form is good so I’m pretty sure it’s just part of being a bab at lifting and it’ll probably go away
you may have gone too heavy too fast, which i’m pretty sure is my issue. try supplementing with just some bodyweight squats in your free time

I tried atg squatting for a full 3 months since not a single person on this site could ever give me concrete evidence as to whether one type of squat was better than another.

All I found was that after squatting atg I felt a little more glute/inner quad work was done but my inner knees/meniscus felt like I was slowly whithering them away whereas regular squatting just gives me a general PCL soreness that goes away by the next day. The inner knee stuff would persist over multiple days.

Overall I don't see the point of atg squatting unless your sport requires it, anyone with a big parallel squat will also have a big atg squat, the difference in weight moved was only like 5% for me.

US 12 to 12.5. Are flat shoes like the converse no good or are they just not optimal? I will say since Ive worn these its easier to put weight on my heel when lifting than with the running shoes

I had terrible hip mobility while squatting due to sitting and playing video games so I've spent the past 3 months training the side splits. I haven't gotten anywhere near actually being able to do them but its made my wide stance squats feel amazing and I don't get hip flexor/groin pain from squatting like I used to.

I gotcha. These are only a 10.5, so no dice there.

The Converse are okay, and I started in them, but the change when I switched to the ones with the elevated heels, the difference was VERY noticeable.

Brace your core better. Do more front squats. If you can't from squat with a barbell use a kettlebell and do goblet squats. More deep lunges or bulgarian split squats aswell. Before squating do deep lunge stretches to stretch the psoas muscle. Warmup your legs and body before squating. 5 minutes on an exercise bike suffices. Anyone who says you don't need to stretch or warmup is trolling and wants you to snap your shit up.

thanks mayne I'll try that

This. Probably impingement.

I have this too. Some people aren’t built to squat. It took me two years of injuring myself to finally stop doing squats. You can replace them with lunges or one legged variations.

The only remedy is squat to parallel and be careful about your depth, but I have yet to try that theory.

I used to have this as a beginner, but I ignored it and grew out of it. Looking back this was a stupid thing to do. Deload and make sure you have an excellent form

Sometimes form isn’t the issue and it’s the exercise that is the problem. Not everyone can do squats properly and safely, even with perfect form and mobility.

OP here

Will definately deload and focus more on form. Thanks lads.

I have the same problem. I found that keeping my knees forward and my feet at less than 5 degrees fixed the issue. I'm probably doing something wrong though, doesanyone know if this is inherently bad?