Bench isn't giving me a big chest

Bench isn't giving me a big chest

That timeless question: HOW DO I GROW MY FUCKING CHEST

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4562558/
strongerbyscience.com/hypertrophy-range-fact-fiction/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Microwave and eat all your foods in plastic containers.

You probably expect results in five minutes and or you're doing a shitty routine.
It takes like a year or more.

Bench, and then do pushups until exhaustion after every set. Make sure your hands are placedmore away from your body so you target chest more then triceps

My chest exploded when I switched to high volume high frequency slow controlled incline DB press to failure. It actually comically surpassed the rest of me so now I don't train chest at all while I bring my physique into proportion with it.

Weighted Dips. I swapped out flat bench for dips after I hit 2pl8 and got juicy. I'm no Broscientist but I think Flat Bench focuses on a larger chain of muscles, with a minor on chest, while dips focus on a smaller chain of muscles, with a major on tri's and chest.

DB bench, wide grip pushups, and don't sleep on bber meme shit like flyes and pec deck

higher reps on all this stuff

This is the only guy who gets it

MORE REPS = VOLUME
Minimum 25 for compounds, 50 for isolations

Bench with the widest grip possible that can use with straight wrist, forearms and elbows, or that you comfortable with.

Hypertrophy is about engorging the muscle with blood. High reps. Do them slowly.

When I started doing cable flies is when my chest started growing a lot.

Weighted dips

too vague to answer but the best thing you could do is to start training heavier with bench in a more powerlifting split (8 reps, 6reps, 3 reps) increasing the weight each time.

you need to shock your pecs so they have to adapt to new stimulus in addition to eating AT LEAST 5 scoops of protein per day

5 SCOOPS

More volume, if you're doing SS/SL/Texas method for your presses then switch asap. More benching, more pushups, more OHP as a supplement

Weighted dips are boss.

I thought doing 8-12 reps slowly was optimal for hypertrophy. 30-50 sounds like Piana when he was talking about steroids specifically

That's a bit of an outdated idea, what we know now is that volume is important for hypertrophy, but that volume can be achieved by doing many sets but the rep range within the set doesn't really matter

The higher rep range seems to mostly be important for building muscular endurance, but as long as you're getting lots of sets you're getting volume towards hypertrophy

The reason that higher rep ranges work well for bodybuilders is because they have a much easier time avoiding form breakdown, so it's easier to get the proper time under tension for the intensity they're working at

Do you think gyllenhaal was natty in that movie?

30-50 through multiple sets not one set

First of all. F=MA. This is so important, yet so many people ignore this part. Do not focus on weight. Learn how to use the momentum with a reasonable amount weight. Consciously try to break the muscle down. Don't bounce on your muscle elasticity, force yourself to stretch deep, and to squeeze at the top.
When benching, use a slightly wider grip and focus on pulling your arms together using chest. DB press! Slightly inclined, flat and (my favorite) declined. Your hands should be between the benchpress and chest flye angle. Like an upside down V. Also do dips if you can. Dips are nice

This isn't broscience right? Got source to support those claims?

You don't know jack shit about physics and are outright retarded. Stop giving people advice.

fpbp

F=MA is one of the most basic physics formula out there. Please, this one is already too hard for you. Just let it go.

This. My chest exploded after embracing weighted dips. Bonus: no more shoulder pain.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4562558/

Here's a fairly up to date study. Since it was such an isolated study, only on arm LBM, this particular study saw a slightly higher level of hypertrophy from lower rep ranges, but it's likely negligable. Most controlled studies find them to be roughly the same

strongerbyscience.com/hypertrophy-range-fact-fiction/

This article provides a really awesome meta analysis of a bunch of studies done on rep ranges, the conclusion is that they're roughly the same, and that if hypertrophy's your goal you should just go for whatever rep range you can personally do the highest quality work in

Among high level coaches the thought is that higher intensity is much better for strength gain, higher rep ranges are much better for technical work and muscular endurance, but both can be used to achieve hypertrophy. The big determining factor is just that you're doing enough sets of either.

It's impossible to tell if higher or lower reps are better in particular because of all the variables that are affected by different rep ranges, but we're certain the difference is small enough to be negligable

t.. thanks eighth graders.

Learn to Bench properly. Pause at the bottom of each rep for a second to a second and a half; bouncing the weight doesn't do shit for your chest. My friends can't keep their hands off my lean man-titties (no-homo).

Your chest is only active when your elbows break parallel to the floor which is when most people bounce that shit. By bouncing, your completely skipping the entire portion of the lift where your pecs actually do something, hence why they suck. If you hate Bench, DB Bench - it's safer, harder to cheat, and better for training stabilizers.

So, since you can do more volume with higher rep work overall and "hypertrophy" training leads to fuller muscle and you can obtain similar strength gains..then
Bodybuilding type training is in fact objectively superior to low rep training.

this + soy milk = big trap boipucci ripe for the picking

>Similar strength gains.
No. You get what you train for. You gain strength by lifting heavy. Heavy doesn't allow for long sets.

Kill yourself

possible, but very difficult to quantify any significant difference between the two

Set count is much more important than rep range, but most coaches will have athletes doing a high rep period anyways since it's good for enforcing technique at the beginning of a training block

The real answer is of course to do both, but you can totally get away with only doing 8-12 rep sets if you only care about hypertrophy

>No. You get what you train for.
You attain strength from overcoming resistance.
The set x rep scheme matters little when it comes to that.
There's no such thing as short window sport specificity when it comes to what a true natural can do. Drugs changed all of that.

Real strength and real mass gains take long fucking years of practice and consistent effort from a true natural.

And a true natural doing consistent 5x5 powerlifting type training for short periods will end up injured. It's not a question of if, but when and how bad it is.

>You gain strength by lifting heavy.
Overcoming resistance....oh and isometrics can increase strength as well.

>Heavy doesn't allow for long sets.
Exactly, which is why higher rep slightly lower weight is superior for natural lifters.
Gainz
Strength Endurance
Strength
Lower incidence of injury

5x5 powerlifting type training

powerlifters don't do SS or SL, those programs are garbage. They do periodized programs with windows of hypertrophy and intensity. with constant variations in intensity and volume, to ensure that they're building a proper base for long term success and a decreased risk of injury, while also making what they currently have as efficient as possible

forgot my meme arrow

Great thread lads, nice info

Boldenone and heavy reps to failure twice a week, plain old bench press (incline and flat).

I have impressed myself with development of mass in my legs, forearms, shoulders, biceps, but my chest was always weak - literally and as far as looks go. Nothing much ever changed until Boldenone + choosing a weight that I could only get about 5 reps out of, and repeating after brief rest to 4, then 3, then 2, then 1, Give it ten minutes and try again. Walking out of the gym literally painful. Most workouts I just went for a good burn and a little soreness, with chest I tried to go until it actually hurt from exhaustion while keeping good form to avoid injury other than desirable microtears.

Three months and i was where I wanted to be, with regular pec work the gains have stayed and even grown some over the following year since without anabolics.

Flat BB Bench is shit for chest development.
It actually goes like: Decline BB Bench >>> Dips >>> Incline DB Bench >>> Flat DB Bench >>> DB Flies

dumbbell bench
my chest literally doubled in size in 3 weeks of doing dumbbells only

Oh and also Cable Cross. Basically any chest isolation exercise is better than the Barbell Bench Press as far as bodybuilding goes.

I struggled with my chest until I sorted my form out. I was lowering the bar too high up on my chest and holding my hands too narrow on the bar

That literally makes no sense, dips are bad for the AC joint.

So low rep vs high rep, 1 rep max is the same, but low rep leads to higher muscle mass? That goes against everything I've ever read
>Lean arm mass was significantly (F = 4.816, P = 0.037, η2 = 0.156) greater in INT (5.2 ± 2.9%, P < 0.001) compared to VOL (2.2 ± 5.6%, P = 0.314) posttraining. Furthermore, 93.3% of participants in INT experienced a change in lean arm mass that was greater than the minimal difference (MD = 0.23 kg) for this measure. In contrast, only 64.3% of participants in VOL experienced such a change.
wtf

>strongerbyscience.com/hypertrophy-range-fact-fiction/
What is that "burning out the CNS shit he was talking about?

Thats what I do... am I gonna die?

You want hypertrophy so you want to hit both heads with heavy weight high reps and then low weight until failure. End with only eccentric. For lower chest I use weighted dips and pushup variations until failure. For upper chest I do landmine press on my knees with the last set doing eccentric after I can't concentricaly lift it anymore. Then I run to do some incline flies with light weight. Your welcome. Enjoy the gains. I mean if you actually take my advice

No its not you idiot. Hypertrophy like atrophy is about the break down of muscle. The difference is hyper is tearing leading to muscular repair making the muscle larger.

Hyper meaning more
Trophy growth

You fucking idiot

So much shitty advice and bro science

The chest is broken up into two major parts, the upper and lower.

If you want to hit the upper part; any incline exercise will work whether its BB, DB or flyes. The lower can be hit by any decline exercise, again BB, DB or flyes as well as dips.

Flat benching is more like a decline than a incline. Which is why it alone cant give you the big flat chest muscles you expect. Ditching bench and doing an incline + decline is all you need.

Learn how to read the post I was replying to moron.

Are you stupid? He was pointing out that pump is not relevant to the hypertrophy process. You can do a thousad push ups for a pump but that wont make your muscles bigger.

pls forego making faggoty normie posts like this in the future. thanks.

t. Triggered Autist

Gains = weight * reps

Fugg it was so simple. Thank you Isaac Newton!

HOW MANY SCOOPS?!?!?!

>First of all. F=MA.

So bench 5x5 is 25 reps and ideal?

F=MA
'do not focus on weight'
what the fuck u think the M stands for bitch

I thought Dips only did anterior delts and biceps?

yeah, but enjoy your 20 hour workout

(You)

Dips and incline bench. Dips also works triceps so much more to begin with.

Than* for fucks sake, user. You ruin your advice with your dead shit American public school education.

I can vouch for the dips. I saw my chest grow the most since ever when I started doing dips pretty much every workout. I don't even do weighted I just do it to failure every set, usually from about 20 down to about 12. I love dips, especially doing them in a really controlled but powerful way. Dips are good for chest for sure, my chest feels tight and pumped

fpbp

your chest can't be small if you can bench 3 plates
just get stronger bitch

It's fuckin simple bro. Do pullups with your arms far apart and front facing, and with pushups lower your hands to your stomach area, move them closer together, and form a triangle shape with them. I'm don't have any gains yet but my chest has always built up fastest when I try

bench 4x8 with 10 second negatives

I hope you were taking test with that EQ. Otherwise your an idiot and pretty much gave yourself a low t condition.

Do a lot of pause bench and full ROM bench without accommodating resistance

Minus: elbows get fucked if I don't curl afterwards

Use a machine holy fuck

Some girls aren't well endowed with a big chest, you can try eating more estrogen-rich foods, or just get a padded bra.