Hex Bar General

Just got one of these bad boys for $75 dollars. I wanted to add it to my home gym so that I could effectively work my legs and avoid having to pay the monthly fee of a gym.

1. How do you guys like the hex bar?

2. Post Hex Bar stories/experiences

love trap bar deadlifts

much safer for your back compared with normal deads

>be poor
>be living on farm
>want to do squat but no equipment or gym
>utilize a heavy iron frame as trap bar
>best workout ever

With trap bar you can lift 120% of your max deadlift approximately.

if you just spent $75 on a hex bar you clearly are not looking for anyone to tell you that they are a worthless waste of space that nobody has any business using

I took a gym class when I was a senior in HS that was centered around weight lifting and I guess because hex bars are safer or something they only taught us how to deadlift using them. Now I'm 21 and I still only use hex bars to deadlift because it was what I started with any I don't see any point in changing. Currently at 3plate + a 10 (360 pounds) on each side for 3x5. Also, the one that's at my gym weight 70 pounds instead of the usual 45 so I gotta factor that in.

I have a love/hate relationship with it. I love it because it is the same weight as a traditional deadlift but less risky for injury (personal experience on the injury). My wrists also like it better than standard bars. I hate it because it reminds me of how much I could be dead lifting regularly if I didn't have awful form.

I love them but when I was doing hex bar exclusively (I didn't use the raised handles, I flipped it over) I couldn't ever tell anybody about my new PR. Because literally nobody did the movement besides me.

If you're not planning to compete in powerlifting, I would argue that trap bar lift is a fantastic replacement for DL.
> Hip hinge
> No shin scrape
> Easier to grip
> Higher squat carryover
> Much harder to tweak your back

Even if you are training for PL, you should consider trap bar lift as an accessory.

I kind of want one.
Does it work as a squat replacement too?

I strained an intercostal muscle doing traditional deads. It only hurt when I was breaking the bar off the floor. For whatever reason trap bar and RDL's didn't bother it so for 3 months I did those movements exclusively. When I was healed up sufficiently I worked up to my max with conventional deads again. 1RM when from 455 pre-injury to 510 post injury. Honestly I think that combo of RDL's and trap bar deads transferred better to my overall performance better than conventional deads.

Especially for athletes who need to focus on skilled practice as well. Movement selection needs to be as safe as possible while transferring strength and explosiveness to those skills.

If you do deficit trap bar dead lifts you can for sure achieve some good depth. I don't think it could fully replace any big squat variation though.

>became addicted to trap bar
>moved
>new gym doesn't have one

WTF IT'S THE SAME CHAIN DAMN IT

Kind of, depending on the angle of your hips it can be anywhere from very deadlifty to half deadlift half squat. Honestly I think anyone who's not competing should ditch the squat and DL and just do trap bar DLs.

Where did you buy it from f a m?

The trap bar is a part of my holy trinity of lifts

>one arm chin up
>planche push ups
>trap bar deadlift

>>one arm chin up
>>planche push ups
>>trap bar deadlift
That's a damn metal trinity

Y-you too

I still do conventional but prefer the trap bar.

Less strain on the back.

Gym doesn't have blocks and the rack starts pretty high, so I can use the high handles to make it similar to using blocks.

Way better for high rep work. You can do 20-30 rep rest pause sets without destroying your back.

Also great for farmers carries because it keeps the weight away from your legs.

I can only do about 15lbs more on the trap bar, 445 vs 430 for triples. I think most people seeing a huge increase are either new and benefiting from the easier movement pattern or using the high handles which is like lifting off blocks.

I bought one from a guy that was selling off his gym equipment. Craigslist (especially in a big city) would be a good place to look.

If you have to order/buy one conventionally be careful. They can range in price from $100 to $400, which is funny considering it's just a shaped wad of iron.

I'd like to hear people thoughts on Trap Bar OHP.

I use to have one in my home gym, didn't use it often, did not like how it felt either.

Gave it away to a friend, didn't like it.

My $500 power bars just feel so much better to pull with.

what is your height weight and bodyfat percentage?