Newbie Tips thread

Here we try to help out our fellow Veeky Forums anons in their first trips to the gym during their winter breaks.

>You can adjust the width of your grip to target certain parts of the muscle as you work out.

>Jumping rope is a great way to get aerobic fitness.

>DOMS is delayed onset muscle soreness. This is soreness a few days after your lift caused by the muscles being worked out. It is important to remember that DOMS ONLY AFFECTS THE UPPER BODY MUSCLES. So work legs extra hard the first few workouts to make up for time at the gym you will lose because of upper body soreness.

I can testify that the third one is true. Don't overwork your upper body in the first week just do twice to three times as many leg workouts.

Any soreness will go away in 2-3 hours that is in a lower body muscle.

follow a fucking program
ss, sl, gspl or reg parks 5x5, do beginner programs.

Don't forget to tip the gym staff

What about Greyskull?
Which version of Greyskull should I do?

any one but pharaks
the guy was a beginner redditor him self

Greyskull is a novice / starting program right?

Don't fall for meme programs - pretty much anything suggested on this board or reddit should be avoided. Go find a good program that is tailored to your particular starting point which includes a multitude of different exercises, follow it for several months (focusing mainly on form and technique) then build your own program based on what you learned and what your goals are. A bunch of retards are surely going to quote this post and say this is bad advice, but they are either trolling, DYELs, or fat-fuck "powerlifters" (that don't actually compete) that are going to end up kneecapping your right out of the gate with their shitty advice.

yeah
a beginner/novice program
if you are a true beginner i sugest you do starting strength in all its phases.
Once you completed that do the texas method or madcow.
then you should be around 1/2/3/4 depending on your weight.

Remember that you don't count the weight of the bar.

Reminder that you just count one side of the bar

Generally, I agree. Its less about certain very specific details or nuances of programs or diets, but rather about principles.
Progressive overload, supercompensation, enough food, lots of rest, build work capacity, dont obsess over names of exercises or programs, be consistent.

>then you should be around 1/2/3/4 depending on your weight.
Doesnt work like this. Stop spouting this shit you idiot, people are different. These platitudes have no grounding in reality. Some guy's ribcage might be enormous, naturally he'll always bench more than some frail guy with tiny bones. There's more to strength than just eating a ton and doing 5x5

What would be a good program for the complete stick novice? Im 16 years old and 6 feet but I only weigh 60 KG, yet I still look kind of skinnyfat. I do cardio 3 times a week.

this apart from people who haven't achived 1/2/3/4 should not program for them self.

well obviously 1/2/3/4 is a bull shit milestone.

kinda related
The specific program doesnt matter as much as being consistent with lifting, eating and sleeping is. Do your compound lifts, after that your isolation work. Dont focus solely on strength, or volume but both.

That third one is fucking bullshit.

When I first started squatting my quads were so god damn sore that I couldn't walk properly for a week.

After a week squats did not effect my quads like this anymore.

Don't watch Rich Piana's workout videos

You didn't stretch the day afterwards. Also if you have leg DOMS it goes away if you lift again right as soon as they hit.

Upper body has more muscles, thus more DOMS.

Newbs listen here
SS+GOMAD is all you will ever need
If you want the best natty program it's SS+GOMAD
NO EXCEPTIONS
Stay consistent and you'll be a natty god in a couple months