Breaking Plateaus

Any ideas on how to break my BP plateau? I don't think it's too do with sleep or eating because my heavier lifts are progressing fine.

Also, for doing shoulders, I want to do incline dumbbell press, facepulls and plate raises. What order should I do them in? Don't want to wear out the rotator cuff.

Do a 36 hour fast.

onions

Two things that helped me when i plateaued were:
1) Eating more
2) Doing 3x12 Dips at the end of each workout (if dips are too difficult try getting to 20-25 pushups first)

I'm hesitant to dip because of shoulder implications. It always hurts my shoulder. I'm just hitting 20 pushups atm. I'm thinking about adding dumbbell bench press in on my OHP day? As a hypertrophy finisher.

dumbbell work will definitely help as well.
But watch out for overtraining, your progress looks like you may actually need to reduce your chest-work - whats your current routine?

GSLP with some accessory workout thrown in - prioritisation on the main lifts as well.

A:
OHP 3x5, 1x5+
Chinups 2x5, 1x5+ (weighted)
Squat 2x5, 1x5+
Curl 3x12
Tricep Pushdown 3x20

B:
Bench Press 3x5, 1x5+
Pendlay Row 2x5, 1x5+
Deadlift 1x5+
Incline DB Press 3x15
Facepulls 3x20
Plate raises 2x12

Have seen massive shoulder gains since throwing in the hypertrophy shoulder work - my side delt now actually 'pops' out past my arm even without a pump. Thinking about adding in the dumbbell press on A before the curls?

>He can't even do 20 pushups

i would replace the pushdowns with dumbbell-presses - the more muscles recruited the better

Instead of just adding them in?

dunno, did not do so many accessories during linear progression.

your not thinking big enough here
do a 40 day fast in the desert, for the *spirit of christmas*
*jesus*

Then fix your shoulders. Work on your REAL weaknesses! Find "rehab" exercises to make sure all your joints are as a strong as they can be in full ROM. I do periodization and have found it extremely effective but that might not be optimal for everyone.

Basically, it appears I don't have a front deltoid muscle. It's not something that can be easily fixed. I'll dig up a pic here.

how's your technique? back on LP i remembered getting stuck and angry because bench didn't seem to work my pecs at all. triceps were overworked and elbow pain was a norm. it took a long time before i learned to recruit them, using greg nuckols site guide though i still prefer medium grip

t. 5'9" 325 1rm within 1.5 years

It's hard to tell since I workout at home. I definitely do just feel it in the pecs though really. Last workout when I just about got it up I felt it in the biceps as well which was weird but my body went into shit I'm going to trap myself mode.

>I felt it in the biceps as well which was weird
it happens, not weird at all. since you work out at home i assume you have the fractional plates?
personally, if technique is not a limiter im inclined to agree that shoulder is the issue. hypertrophy range ohp/arnold press? or maybe deload but instead of amrap do pause reps? what's your sticking point exactly?

eat more

Fractional plates? I just have a barbell and 20/10/5/2.5/1.25 kg plates so I go up in 2.5kg increments. Sticking point in general, the bench. Making progression on incline db press okay. In terms of during the movement, I have never gone to failure - workout out alone I don't want to trap myself or anything. If I get the bar up and think fuck I can't move this then I just stop. Although it would have to be on the press upwards about 3" from the bottom that the oh shit fuck sets in, and the weight sort of freezes then I panic and rep it up.

no i mean in which part of the lift are you struggling? descent? liftoff? mid point or at the very end

do invest in fractional weights. if you want to save money, buy a bundle of copper wire and coil them to your desirable weight. 1.25 kg implies 5lb addition per session, that's unsustainable at some point.

oh shit im sorry i didnt even read your post through. midpoint it is then, consider doing spoto press as adjunct.

Thinking about just using 1" washers and piling them up to make 0.625kg plates on the cheap. Yeah I was adding 5lb per session. Just wondering how my noobie gains are running out after 3 months of lifting fs haha. But cheers, when I deload I will throw in spoto press.

Work on your mindset.

Hm?

>I don't think it's too do with sleep or eating because my heavier lifts are progressing fine

Bench is especially dependent on leverages and bodyweight. Your technique may also be less than optimal, I know bench doesn't come naturally to me where squats and deads have always felt like a natural motion.

I'd say bench more often, maybe lower the volume per session but add in another day or two of barbell bench per week.

MINDSEEEEEEEEEEEEET