Rep range for hypertrophy

Why can't I find a straight answer on the optimal rep range for hypertrophy?

Also, why does everyone do sets of 5 reps? Thoughts on Gironda 8x8?

Other urls found in this thread:

renaissanceperiodization.com/hypertrophy-training-guide-central-hub/
youtu.be/jzOsDD8pqac
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It doesn't matter how many reps you do in a set, you're always training for strength. Whether you increase your 3RM from 100 kgs to 120 kgs or your 12RM from 75 kgs to 95 kgs, you've still gotten stronger. And this should always be your focus.
It also doesn't matter whether you do e.g. 4 reps in a set or 10 reps in a set. Both of these sets would elicit a hypertrophy response.

So what's the difference between high rep and low rep work?

The fewer reps you do per set, the heavier weights you'll be handling, which means that you become good at doing just that; handling heavier weights. That's the main advantage of performing low reps - you become skilled at displaying strength using near maximal or even maximal weights. If you're used to training with very low reps, your real 1RM is going to higher than it would be if you usually trained with only high reps and thus lighter weights.

Conversely, the higher reps you do, the better you become at performing a higher number of reps with any given lighter weight.

So if you compete in powerlifting, naturally you must include some amount of low rep work in your training in order to become good at your sport. If you compete in e.g. CrossFit it'd probably be a good idea to practice high rep work as well.

There's an additional benefit to using a lighter weight and doing more reps however. Because using a light weight doesn't put nearly as much strain on your central nervous system and your joints, using a light weight makes it possible to perform a much larger total amount of work (more sets). This is called volume. Training with a large amount of volume is the primary cause of hypertrophy i.e. making your muscles bigger. So if your main concern is growing bigger, then most of your training should be comprised of higher reps using a lighter weight. The weight can't be too light though, because if it is, it's simply not going to be sufficiently heavy to provide an effective stimulus. As a rule of thumb, don't go lighter than 60% of your 1RM. For most people that's a weight you can do around 12 reps with - hence the general recommendation of 8-12 reps for hypertrophy training.

>Why can't I find a straight answer on the optimal rep range for hypertrophy?
Because there's not single straight answer in biology.
>Also, why does everyone do sets of 5 reps?
Because it's better than doing sets of 4 and sets of 6.
>Thoughts on Gironda 8x8?
just another way of racking up volume for the autists who can't handle variable amounts of sets and reps.

Fucking good guy user to the rescue. Most people would've fucked with him. Good job. I might also add that personally I've seen great results by doing both heavy training and high volume. But you need a lot of gym time to do it in my experience

gironda 8x8 looks like horse shit
literally any other routine is better

renaissanceperiodization.com/hypertrophy-training-guide-central-hub/

1-5: strength
8-12: size
6-7: nothing

so you're saying if i do sets of 6-7 reps absolutely nothing will happen

Yes, retard

Why don’t you do that for a few weeks and report back with all your gains NOT

hahahahaha

reps are irrelevant because your muscles can't count
it's about time under stress. the reason the answer to this question is usually "8" is because it assumes you're taking between 6-7 seconds per rep
this is also the reason you're told to go slowly on the decline and not just drop weights
so to answer your question, you could do 1 slow ass 60 second rep for a set, or you could do 2 30 second reps, ... etc. or you could keep doing 8, but keep in mind that if it takes less than 8 seconds to do a single rep it's probably time to add weight

knowledge is power

>7 second per rep

>muscles can’t count
>but they can tell time

If your goal is size you actually want to cycle. Do 4 weeks at 6-20 (lower for compounds, higher for isolaton), then 4 weeks at 10-30, then 4 weeks at 3-12.

Renaissance Periodization (same people linked to) hypertrophy programs do a good job of this.

Spotted the dyel

>7 seconds per rep

what in the fuck am I reading, are you telling me you sit on the bench and take 7 seconds per rep going up and down

man you must piss everyone in the gym off

>7 seconds per rep

no hes saying he does a single rep on the bench slowly lifting the weight over 1 minute

3-4s down/3-4s up
are you retards telling me that you just pump out your entire set in

8-12 reps with as heavy as you can manage within that rep range.

The real key to growth is volume and exertion.

Basic strength training will get you some hypertrophy...but its shit and has been scientifically proven to be inferior to a pure "hypetropy" range in terms of mass strength endurance and time spent training.
Also more sets = more gains.
But, you have to learn how to manage stress and learn how to back off when it comes to exertion or you'll fry your body.

Don't get suckered into the strength base lie or the thousand different variations of curl with 10lb dumbbells.

god I hate you fucking people on the bench at my gym. All I want to do is my 5x5 on bench with a minute of rest between sets and be done in 10 minutes but I have to wait for you stupid onion bunions to struggle with your lift and then proceed to rest for 10 minutes between the sets, yet get pissed off when I ask you to hurry up or let me work in

>5x5
>minute of rest between sets
>1 set = 1 minute
>1 rest period = 1 minute
>total of 2 minutes
10/2 = 5

>god i hate you people who 1 minute per set when i'm trying to do my minute-long sets
ok

>have retards doing 1 rep sets of 135 for 10 sets and resting/talking for 5 minutes between every set while theres only one fucking bench on the gym floor
>compare that to me doing my exercise and leaving in under 5 minutes

really activates my cerebral palsy

>retards doing 1 rep sets of 135 for 10 sets and resting/talking for 5 minutes between every set
where is this coming from
are you ok

sorry I hold people doing stupid meme shit on the same level as you doing anything other than completing a set of 5 reps on bench of in under a 10 seconds

do you think you'd be less angry if you were achieving your size goals instead of doing 5kg hummingbird reps and wondering why you're not growing

stop projecting

Strength = size. Anything that is used in strength building programs aka 3+ reps

>Implying you won't get strong on a good bodybuiliding/mass building program

Ascending pyramids for strength, descending pyramids for size. All you need to know.

youtu.be/jzOsDD8pqac

Fucking new fag that’s why you’re here isn’t it

>that guy who does 7 reps

Your joints and CNS are both subject to training effects when you handle any weights so strain isn’t an issue unless you do something stupid. You’re actually more likely to injure yourself with low weights/high reps because the more work you do the more tired you get and the more your form deteriorates.

People use 5s because they’re a good halfway house for the core lifts. For most people who aren’t already lifting close to their potential, singles/doubles/triples don’t work for very long. For almost everybody, the weight you can lift for sets of 8 or more is not large enough to make your body adapt significantly. Both work for a short time, but eventually there’s nowhere for you to go. With 5s the stress is balanced enough to let you get stronger for a long time without doing anything else.

I do 5/3/1 + a light volume set after the main work for main barbell lifts and 10-15 rep sets for accessories.
Feels great desu.

lol no gains!!11one!

the studies prove so. The science manlet Jeff Nipard made a video I believe.