Hey Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums.
I am a really beta pussy boi who wants to learn some martial arts in order to feel more confident (and to be able to defend myself effectively).
Which martial is the most effective? I've read some articles and most say that Krav Maga is but i wanted to ask you for your opinion.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uKVErVDA0JA
youtu.be/o0WL-8fz-Fg?t=5m26s
youtube.com/watch?v=rJhsd_eVbyM
youtube.com/watch?v=XxeFbzO2lvw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Since you will get fucked by a dude with a knife or a brick in his hand anyway you might just learn whatever you want.
Krav Maga has some nice tricks for self defense which you can learn quickly.
I did Kung Fu for 5-6 years and while it isn't particularly effective in MMA or real life or death situations I still enjoyed it. You get to learn cool shit with swords and staffs too which is neato.

Do martial Arts of your choice and once you are at a good intermediate level just spar with others as much as possible from all kinds of schools.
BJJ, Krav, Muhh Tai, Boxing, Karate etc. They all have their merits and the more experience you get from a wide range, the better.

I want to add that training Krav Maga is fucking boring in my opinion even if it has effective techniques.

Just look at MMA. BJJ changed the whole game. Go for it and/or Muay Thai. I'd recommend jiu-jitsu first. If you can, learn how to use a gun.

Halfbrick-in-a-sock Fu

But knowing some self defense might still give a chance right? There are some techniques for defending agaist knife, are you saying they arent effective?
Maybe I'll buy a knife and pepper spray since guns are illegal where I live. So you are saying BJJ and Muay Thai are better than Krav Maga?

>There are some techniques for defending agaist knife, are you saying they arent effective?
They aren't effective.

Learn to box. One punch is all you really need when you know how to throw it.

>So you are saying BJJ and Muay Thai are better than Krav Maga?
Yeah. If Krav can be boiled down to kicking nuts and punching throats, wouldn't it be easier to do that after you've dominated the enemy on the ground? Maybe their techniques against firearms are good, I don't know.

Why?
Just regular box will suffice?

>There are some techniques for defending agaist knife, are you saying they arent effective?
It is nearly impossible to defend against a knife attack where the attacker is going for you. Every Krav Maga or other MA instructor who knows whats up is going to teach you that.
But they teach how to react to situations where there is a knife threat.
>But knowing some self defense might still give a chance right?
Yes. They will help you to handle threatening situations. Because you can read situations better and the body language of someone who is going for a punch or whatever

Knowing how to throw a punch is good. Actual street fights are over pretty quick and you DON'T want to land on the floor. Because you will probably get kicked by the rest of the gang.
Getting experience on the floor is quite valuable though in my experience. Knowing basic JJ or something similar is very important in my opinion.

Put on a white shirt, get a lad, give him one of those red markers and tell him to go at you while you try your techniques to find out yourself. The BEST course of action against a knife attack is to create distance and either get the fuck out of there or shooting the guy dead, and that's assuming that you even see it coming.

>So you are saying BJJ and Muay Thai are better than Krav Maga?

YES DEFINETLY

did some Krav Maga, then went over to Muay Thai and recently added MMA training to it.
Krav Maga shows you how to handle an attack from an ''untrained'' attacker which I thought is complete bullshit, because half of the people who try to start shit don't just do it because they are delusional, they might've been in some fights and probably know some shit.

The thing that makes MMA hugely more effective in real fight situations than Krav Maga ''training'', is that you will be regulary Sparring, which basically simulates a street fight, with difference being that you only fight against one at a time and that groin strikes aren't allowed.

what martial art is best for beating someone to death

regular boxing is always at the top of self defence lists. the whole idea behind boxing is to knock out your opponent ASAP, so it has become a finely tuned skill, boxers will win your average fight against a normie every time. There are other excellent martial arts, but for a surefire way to win, it's got to be plain boxing, find a gym that does sparing

Use a tool like all of humanity did since it walked upright. You get to prison anyway so you want to make sure the other one doesn't turns the situation around.

most martial arts are cucked "civilized" disciplines

if someone is really threatening your life, bite them, attack their ballsack, try to gouge their eyes out

biting is especially effective and easy to do

>if someone is really threatening your life, bite them, attack their ballsack, try to gouge their eyes out
youtube.com/watch?v=uKVErVDA0JA

You're retarded, if youre in a chokehold youre already fucked and none of that discounts anything ive said.

>if youre in a chokehold youre already fucked
And who's going to be the one putting people in chokeholds: the ones that train it regularly or the idiots thinking that they can bite someone or gouge their eyes out before going blank?

I'd say kickboxing or mma, because you'll spar a lot.

A chokehold? Have you ever fought before? I have been in a lot of fights and I have never had a kick or elbow thrown at me, and never had anyone attempt a chokehold. I have also never lost a fight, so that might be why.

For the record, I have never started a fight either. Most of my potential fights ended up with me buying the guy a beer instead. I don’t like violence. Maybe I’m just lucky I don’t live around niggers...

Would it be possible to learn and practice a martial art at home without a teacher or another person? Like looking up guides on the internet and practicing like a monk?

Who says the other guy can't bite and gouge too? He's gonna be better at everything inbetween, and biting is retarded. It's just gonna make him mad.

No, complete waste of time and an easy way to get your shit kicked in when push comes to shove.

There's no such thing as a "most effective" martial art. Martial arts are only as good as you are.

The human body is actually really limited. There are only so many motions it can make. Your joints and ligaments limit these factors. There is a pretty hard cap on the human body, and you can only take it so high before it breaks.

That said, with those limits in mind, all martial arts boil down to how effectively you can do those movements. To give an abstract example, the best counter for technique A is technique B, and that hard counter applies to all martial arts styles as all martial arts are limited to that set of movements the human body can make. Because again, the total amount of different movements you can make is very limited. The best counter for any given move is already predetermined. As a martial artist your goal is to learn all those counters and be able to react as quickly as possible when you see someone else take action. You should reflexively know the exact motion you need to take to counter theirs, because there is always that one exact best counter for any other given technique.

At the high end up all martial arts they more or less all look and work the same.
There's an old martial arts saying that goes: There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn't matter which you take.

The concept of martial arts was invented with the idea of the weak beating the strong. As in, you have someone who is less physically gifted, and they train to beat someone who is stronger than them. Because technique and skill will always beat out raw power.

All in all it doesn't matter what style you pick, because you're going to end up at the same place any way once you get really good.

Odds are if you're fighting someone skilled in martial arts they're not going to let you get into a position where you can bite them.

And if by some odd chance you do mange to get your teeth near them you are leaving yourself totally exposed.

If you bit my left arm I'd use my right elbow and left knee to strike both sides of your skull, likely crushing it.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to feel more confident, but if you want to defend yourself more effectively your best bet is to get a pistol permit and gun, which would probably be cheaper than an MMA gym membership or X amount of months of a martial arts class. Mastery of a martial art, or even multiple disciplines, won't change the fact that you dying, instantly, can come about from something as simple as someone shoving you and you falling and hitting your head. Owning a gun doesn't change that either, but pulling out a pistol is a much faster and less risky deterrent than having to square up and actually fight.

To answer your actual question, I think Krav Maga is your best bet. It's not as fun to learn or as much of a workout as something like BJJ or Muay Thai IMO, and you might not feel like as much of a badass as you would utilizing it over other arts, but it does the job. All of the other disciplines, that I'm aware of anyways, are built around self-defense and have a component of mercy to them because of that, Krav Maga doesn't. You don't just knock the knife from someone's had, you knock the knife from his hand and also break his wrist, for example. It's about disarming and completely incapacitating. It's very... simple... primal... I don't have the right word for it, but it's how I think you should fight if there's no other option, which is "anything goes but I'm gonna keep a calm head" about this.

>BJJ and Muay Thai
God I hate how this shit is so main stream now. They are garbage martial arts style that teach people so many bad habits.

Muay Thai is a joke, and they teach people to keep their core forward way to much. Every time I fight people who do Muay Thai I just wait for them to try and throw a front kick, and I counter with a back kick to the inside swing, landing it right in their solar plexus.

I usually have to hold back and never fight those tards at full strength. Hit the solar plexus too hard and you're going to detach their floating ribs and kill them.

> floating ribs
sounds delicious

Wrestling is the most applicable self defense martial art imo. Kick boxing is the most reliable in a street fight and bjj is alright. If I had to choose one I'd do kickboxing but I do MMA which is the best. Kickboxing will also probably get you the most fit.

Oh, yeah.
youtu.be/o0WL-8fz-Fg?t=5m26s

The fuck did you bring this from? Boxing arguably isn't even a martial art. It's completely useless outside the sport of boxing
>How to beat a boxer
>Literally do anything that doesn't involve fists to the face

MMA or BJJ/Muay Thai combination.

Any other advice your receive is a meme pushed by people trying to shill their shitty martial arts.

What point are you trying to make here?

>rough gay sex and a laughably bad style
>not a "meme"

>All in all it doesn't matter what style you pick, because you're going to end up at the same place any way once you get really good

It's that bullshit idea that all martial arts are equal that pisses me off.
youtube.com/watch?v=rJhsd_eVbyM

>The style I do is superior and everything else is trash.
This is why I hat MA threads so much. Everything is a dickwaving contest about the best style.

Boxing + Muay Thai
Karate and Taekwon Do are shit

I mean, you're not even smart enough to link posts correctly or use green text correctly.
You're clearly not smart, so I don't know why you think anyone will listen to you.

It was explained how all martial arts are equal. Maybe if your reply was more than "durr its bull shit" then we could have a real discussion.

>Boxing arguably isn't even a martial art. It's completely useless outside the sport of boxing

I laughed too. Dude watches too much dragon ball z...

Rules and techniques in boxing are based around only using you fists to fight and almost always leaving your core exposed.

Anyone with a real martial art is using both their legs and fits, mean they have an over 50% more advantage in the fight. Go to kick a boxer, and while all they know how to do is try and punch you back, you have much longer reach because you're using your legs.

Wtf, what kind of Maga school did you go to, full-contact sparring with helmets and groin-protectors was a normal basic part of our training.

Even our teacher said that they are not "magic ninja moves that deflect knives", the first thing to do is of course run, but if you're cornered and absolutely nowhere to go, the moves that they taught us in KM was to "minimize damage and give a chance to strike back".

This.

So what you’re saying is you’ve never taken a punch.

nigger I literally do MMA.

Literally you don’t, you larping faggot...

Buy a gun and practice your 40 yard dash. If you really want to learn a martial art though, then try boxing and or wrestling.

How does that relate to what I said even remotely?

Are you trying to argue that boxing is fine because they can "take a punch" better than other people or something?

I've broken concrete slabs before with my side kick. And I'm not even that good of a martial artist. If you're arguing that you should just sit there and take it while you try to set up for a punch, you're an idiot.

>Rules and techniques in boxing are based around only using you fists to fight and almost always leaving your core exposed.
>almost always leaving your core exposed
What are elbows? What is snapping your punches?
>you have much longer reach because you're using your legs.
What is legwork?

Krav Maga is effective but fucking boring. Also Jewish = scam

I'd suggest MMA.

Everything you say is fucking halarious, but none of it Is true. If it was, you would know that boxing teaches you how to throw a punch, which is about the most valuable fighting skill you can learn. Everything else is moot if you can’t throw a punch. Stop being a faggot and go to the gym. This is Veeky Forums not /larp/

So people say
>Krav Maga is the best becuase it doesn't have any rules, you're aiming to kill and fight dirty!
This argument is very flawed. Learning to strike the groin/eyes is something anyone can do, only that someone who practices a martial art that actually teaches good techniques and spar and have matches(You know, PREPARING YOU for a fight) can do it better.

>What
Good question. What do you mean by all those vague terms. Try being less autistic. Learn to communicate in full complete thoughts.

>vague terms
>I totally do MMA guys
>let me tell you about boxing guys
lmao

Are you fucking retarded?
Who said boxing wasn't about throwing as punch?

It doesn't matter how good you are at throwing a punch someone using kicks is going to have a very far reach advantage.

You actually seem to be retarded, Boxing alone is fucking useless. Kickboxing is a completely different story.
I've witnessed a situation where a guy who claimed to be a semi-pro boxer took a tornado kick to the side of his face by a TKD blue-belt, and he wasn't able to do anything about it. His boxing-style defense was absolutely useless, when someone's right foot came in sideways in a blink of an eye with 600kgs of force.

>lmao
Oh, okay. You're subhuman. Makes sense now.

>literally unable to stop being autistic and explain himself
This is why trying to have real discussion is so pointless.

"Snaping your punches", "leg work" and "elbows" have no baring over what was said in the post you are replying to all.

Keep larping
No one i gonna throw spin kicks in a bar fight

MT for 10 months here.
After 6 months in a decent gym you ll be able to throw some nice punches and kicks. And, also, will lose your fear of getting hurt.
FIND A GYM THAT HAS A LIGHT/FULL SPARRING SESSION EVERY WEEK (or every 2 weeks). This is fundamental.

That been said, after some training you will discover that there is nothing you can do if the fight goes to the ground.
Even with you standing, a JUDO fighter, a BJJ or a wrestler, can fuck up your thai clinch.
Then you should start training on of these disciplines. That's were I am right now. Gonna start BJJ in july

>no one is going to use their strongest set of muscles to fight another person
It's actually kind of sad how stupid you are.

"defending yourself" is a meme
You're either the guy with the gun or not the guy with the gun. If nobody has a gun, just run away.

>meme
>meme
>meme
Seriously, anyone who uses this word should just put a bullet in their head.

>b-b-but muh boxing with it's gentleman rules!!!! u don't need anything else!!

>just let me try to punch you while the opponent is already taking me down to the ground into a choke or kicking me to the face!!

>muh boxing hand-defense and legwork will protect muh face from the force of a sidekick!!

>b-b-but muh punches and legwork are powerful!!!! only faggots kick!! larp more!!

>what are basically any other kicks that are 10x more effective in actual fights than spin kicks

actual autist spotted :DD

I'm and I'd appreciate it if you acted less retarded as well. That way my actual previous arguments on the subject weren't associated with posts like yours. is retarded, but you're not acting any better.

You're right, I was slipping into the levels of autism myself too.

wanna know how to defend a spinning kick? just take two steps forward and shove the guy. He will land on the ground in a fragile position, from then on your only job is to mount and punish him

Krav maga is just the Jewish martial art of kicking someone in the nuts. Basically just realize that fighting dirty is 100% ok in life or death and save yourself some money. I did tae kwon do for 10 years, it was a good fit because I'm 6'4 and all legs, but it's not a good standalone art by itself.
Traditional martial arts are shit for practical purposes 9 out 10 times so go to the local MMA gym and get a decent understanding of striking and ground work and get a gun. Hand to hand is just for weapons retention.

No he won't.
I'm not sure you've never actually fought someone else or not, but you don't magically lose your balance just because you throw a spin kick.

Like, you must just be a shit martial artist in general. Because of the very first things you learn is core muscle tension and antagonist muscle tension so that you can keep rooted and balanced in any position.

No one with a brain is going to throw kick and off balance themselves.

That said, you're a fucking retard for another reason as well. Spin kicks are all counters, they are not offensive techniques. If you're able to see a spin kick coming, the other person is not using it correctly.

>people recommending BJJ for self defense

Makes me frown. Purely for self defense wrestling/Judo/Sambo or any other form of grappling more focused on standing work is far more practical.

t. BJJ purple belt

Any martial art where there is sparring against a resisting opponent should be fine.

>techniques used under pressure in a dangerous situation work just as practiced in a controlled environment
Buddy, any time you are on one leg swinging the other leg at someone you are off balance.

ok. so stand in one foot and let me shove you. I will pay you 100 dollars if you can keep standing

Maybe if you're garbage and don't actually know how to throw a kick.
By your logic it's pointless to learn any martial art, because they're all "useless under pressure".

Okay, for one, you need to understand how muscle tension works.
A muscle in movement is different than a muscle at a stand still. Your balance while not moving is lower than while you are moving.

Think of it like a bike. Do try riding a bike and keep your feet on the peddles. Obvious you are a hard time balancing, as opposed to when you are moving.

That said, even if you did move me with a shove it wouldn't mean anything, because you lean back and tilt your body for all kicks any way, so I'd just use the momentum from your shove to start the motion for the kick.

One of the main training excises you do in martial arts that have kicks is them is that you work in pairs and one person will hold your leg in their air and you throw a kick from the foot you have on the ground. It's more or less about practicing your basic jump kicks.

BJJ is great training and will win you actual fights

>fighting someone using beaner jew sitsu
>they sprawl to try and take out your legs
>elbow them in the C7 vertebrae
>they die
Okay, I win.

I did tae kwon do for 10 years, tard, and anytime you have all your weight on one point while moving you are unbalanced. Not only do I know you've never been in a fight but apparently you don't watch it much either.

>sucking so badly at something for 10 years
I feel sorry for you wasting so much of your time. Maybe it's not your fault, you probably just signed up at some McDojo and never got real training.

Maybe you can learn a little bit.
Go read Bruce Lee's books. In most of them he talks about core muscle tension, and by how keeping your core tense you are able to maintain balance in almost any position.

I have the books myself, and I'll upload the exact pages for it when I get home later.

>larping this hard
You've got the books but you've never had another guy at the gym kick out your support leg while in mid kick.

fuckin retarded.

do you think I'm going to wait for you to finish the kick then shoving you or you think I will go full force when you are spinning, with your back facing me?

retarded.

do you think I'm gonna hold your leg, give you a chance to balance yourself and throw a kick at me or I will fuck your balance up and take you to the ground

you are srly retarded mate

Take boxing classes and buy a gun, bucko. Martial arts won't save your ass in a real situation. Just for fun or discipline.

Wow, you're super mad. It's like not possible to have real discussion with you.

>fuckin retarded.
>do you think I'm going to wait for you to finish the kick then shoving you or you think I will go full force when you are spinning, with your back facing me?
Better question, are you fucking retarded.
Do you think I'd ever just stand there with one leg in their air for no reason waiting for someone to shove me?
Of course, I'm going to be in constant motion.

>give you a chance to balance yourself
I'd already have my balance because I'm not a retard.

just look at 4:36

already did this once with my knee while sparring.

i would fuck you up mate

>youtube.com/watch?v=XxeFbzO2lvw

jujitsu -> american boxing and muay thai -> whatever you feel like

I've seen live leaks of dudes getting stabbed, and the idea that you cant defend against a knife in any capacity is a meme. obviously the person with a knife has a hug advantage, but its not an end all. a big strong athletic guy with some training can btfo a skinny fat fag with a knife

This. i think you need ground game for multiple reasons, but one punch from a strong competent boxer is usually enough to end nearly any fight

Top zoozle.
Make a vid of you trying please and tell a lad to upload it here. Because you probably won't be able to.

Krav maga is tacticool larping. its move are contigent on other moves being succesful. its only a good bit better than Akido

>fell for the board breaking meme
user, no

If i had to guess id say kicks are responsible for 10% of UFC wins. in reality, when wearing pants, on imperfect ground, and in close quarters, kicks become a whole lot less effectice

The Combination that has been proven time and time again, as most effective is. Grappling/Wrestling (both preferably wrestling is better than bjj and even Sambo for take-downs) and western boxing. then adding other skill helps but with diminishing returns in order of effectiveness Muay Thai, Karate, TKD, Judo, Street fighting experience. things like kung fu don't even deserve a mention sorry, not that there arent some bad ass kung fu guys, but taking a year of wing chun on top of other training is useless. also you can find actual videos of knife attacks and decide for yourself if its possible to overpower and or outskill someone with a knife

>I'd be in constant motion
No you wouldn't because you've never trained martial arts outside of your basement, you'd slip on gravel the first time you tried to throw a kick as well as realize how constricting street clothes are when throwing kicks. Someone who wrestled in middle school would drop you on your neck while you fail miserably with the techniques you tried to teach yourself with a Bruce Lee book.

>both preferably wrestling is better than bjj and even Sambo for take-downs
Wrestling is better than BJJ and even Sambo for no-gi.

Also, for sheer throwing ability Judo/Sambo > wrestling. Takedowns are not necessarily the same as throws.

The knife thing was the biggest martial art redpill for me. The tae kwon do dojang I trained at was extremely aggressive, definitely the .01% that wasn't a mcdojo. We trained boxing and jujitsu and then worked with the mma guys in town on the weekend until they made it nightly, when we did WTF techniques it was always understood we did that crap to pass our belts but focused on the real shit with our extra time. The knife defense we went full force and tried to be as realistic as possible. Then I saw some videos of real knife attacks and realised knife defense was a meme and now I carry a glock 20.

I agree on throws, but you cant beat wrestling for sheer ability to put on willing opponent on the ground.

obviously as a man you should carry a gun if allowed, but /fit demigod with martial arts training vs 5'6" meth manlet with box cutter, small knife or screw driver. what do you think, honestly

>meme
Get medical help.

Being fit with a martial arts basis is obviously a better situation than not, but the best unarmed knife defense is to use that fitness to get the fuck out of there. Only time I'd try to fight (presuming my gun didn't exist) is if my wife and kids were with me and honestly someone on meth with something sharp only needs to stick you once. The martial arts is worthless if not tempered with pragmatism.

>my arguments are all baseless assumptions.