/cig/ Cast Iron General - Are you using cast iron?

>cheap
>reusable, never breaks
>doesn't require soap to clean him, in fact it actually prefers you didn't use soap. is also easy to clean
>cooks food evenly
>keeps food warm after you cook it
>provides the body iron to combat (((anemia)))
>non-stick by nature, no (((non-stick spray))) needed
>popular (one-pan) recipes
>hearty

inb4
>heavy
what are you a fucking weakling?
Cast-ironlets BTFO. Tell me, why you haven't take the cast-iron pill?

>cooks food evenly

except it doesn't. Plus it takes like a month of messing with it to get it right. I'd rather use a normal pan and not ruin food.

I cook all my meals in the microwave or a saucepan.

t. soyboy who can't cook

this but also a crockpot

>can't handle cooking on iron
>actually believes it's harder to use than a thinner pan
>loves "normal pans" coated with toxic unregulated non-stick chemicals

>unironically using a (((microwave))) in 2017+1
>yes there are definitely no health detriments to using microwaves, nor are they a detriments to the nutrition in food

started recently. second best way to make steaks after barbecues. it's 5x as much work as a cheap teflon pan though.

If you knew what (((teflon))) is doing to you, you'd put in 10x the work

Embarrassing. You get the pan hot then lower the heat

we get it, you're proud of yourself you've figured out how to use it, but we're really ok with normal cookware that's easy to use and does the job perfectly

fuck off faggot I bet you rinse your cast iron pan with (((tap water)))

t. teflon Jew

Mongoloid /pol/mutt go away. Also sage and report for not fitness

t. buttblasted turbo soyboy

It also looks aesthetic, ill shill for this shit just cause of that. Also you can't expect your housewife to stay thin cooking with light weight, baby!

This is your brain as a teenage on 2 months of /pol/. Embarrassing

Are steel scrubbers okay on cast iron? I just got my first and don't want to hurt it.

>At uni
>Friend wants to use my skillet
>He can actually cook so I assume he isn't a retard
>Yeah sure thing bud
>Go to get it out of the cupboard to use a few days later and discover it is rusty as fuck
>He washed it in water...
>He didn't even at least dry it properly

Needless to say I got new friends.

>implying I'm not some country bumpkin with dank purified well water
Fuck off pack rat, stay in your cities and suburbs with your fellow rats

No, I rinse it in a stream that comes from the local spring nearby. City-dwelling estrogen-water-drinking soyboys BTFO

the pan is vital to health and therefore fitness.

You can't hurt them, in fact by scrubbing them with steel you get more iron particles for maximum anemia combatage.

>reusable, never breaks
let it fall and see what happens, hint: you can't even welt this shit

I prefer using the patrician choice: the forged iron pan

I was posting on Veeky Forums when you were in diapers kid LOL

>>doesn't require soap to clean him, in fact it actually prefers you didn't use soap. is also easy to clean
how do you clean them?

Dont use soap, and I'd avoid steel scrubbers. I just use a sink brush and a rag to clean mine.

you just scrub it, till there's nothing left but iron
soap strips away the natural non-stick seasoning that you got by cooking food in it.

Ruined cast iron is a legitimate reason to end a friendship

That's what I'm going to use to bash your face in with OP. You're dead you soy-filled faggot.

You guys are funny.

W O K
O
K

You mean rancid grease from years of never properly washing it?

>Being this much of a retard

>cheap
A good cast iron pan costs upwards of 100 euros.

>cast iron
>non-stick

I tried to investigate the Teflon manufacturers once in the aim of bringing them to court, but I just couldn't make anything stick.

kek

You have to go back.

>t. Chinese-tier cook

Do tell us where this mystical "seasoning" of the pan comes from then.

What the fuck does this have to do with fitness
I hate this board

>has to be cleaned and reseasoned literally every time you use it
Why would I waste my life with something that time consuming?

Best option is rock salt + paper towel.
Doesn't hurt the finish.
Also, to the brainlets claiming that cast iron is non-stick, you're using rotten grease to make your "non-stick" coating.
Clean cast iron is EXTREMELY non-non-stick.
I fucking hate the way Veeky Forums let's baseless bullshit seem intelligent.

You anti/pol/ turds are worse that the actual turbo tards from /pol/. For fuck it’s like all you do is spam about /pol/ and be the no fun guy.

>can’t weld cast

Haha look at this fag. It’s hard and doesn’t hold up on a engine block but on a pan it’s just fine MIG nig

You have to go back.

Seasoned cast iron and carbon steel is very non-stick. It isn't rancid oil/fat, the fat polymerizes and attaches to the iron atoms. It isn't "fat" anymore.
It's exceedingly simple to clean, just wipe with a paper towel and be done. Use water if you somehow made a mess. Your grandparents used it, it works, it lasts forever or buy a new teflon pan every 3 years forever.

+ veggie oil after each use.

Don't forget to oil your cast iron pan, folks. Don't wanna get it rusty.

I use Crisco, but any lipid should work.

I use olive oil. Flax seed is allegedly particularly good for seasoning.

Crisco is hydrogenated oil, no thanks.

Also, oil on a teflon pan balls up and never evenly covers the pan, on cast iron it spreads out in a thin layer. This makes it much easier to cook on.

I prefer copper pans

>tfw too poor
the patrician choice

If only I wasn't a poorfag and had gas instead of electric. FML.

Check YouTube people have tested it heats to different temperatures throughout the pan. It cooks unevenly.

However this can be combated by getting it up to heat with oil in the pan first

there are definitely no health detriments to using microwaves

Hey user, I don't actually own a cast iron pan but I used to work in several kitchens before getting my act together and going to uni.

The "seasoning" in the pan is actually partly polymerized oil. It's been heated through and has started to be less like oil and more like a plastic. The "don't wash it with soap" myth is just that - a myth. You should be able to wash the non-polymerized cooking oil out of the pan without fucking up the seasoning. People, particularly my amerifat countrymen, mistake the word "seasoning" to have something to do with food flavor, when in reality, it's more like seasoned wood - treated and aged.

>Plus it takes like a month of messing with it to get it right

The only problem I had my first time using my cast iron skillet was I accidentally smoked out my house from using too much oil. Food tasted great though. Easiest way to cook a steak imo, way less effort than using a grill, and tastes better.

How do you handle modern shitty glass stove tops? Do they scratch?

Yes they absolutely scratch. Mine looks like shit, but honestly it works great at least.

Go back /pol/mutt

Fucking glass stove tops invented by fucktards to cuck us all out of iron skillets.

u have that stovetop at home?

Ceramic master race

You must be seriously retarded to think that there are health detriments when you use the microwave.

>cooks food evenly
does this apply to electric too? I just moved from a place with gas to a new apartment that has an electric stove. Electric doesn't cook as evenly, would cast iron help with that?
also

>It cooks unevenly
>unless you do it properly
>then it's fine
>but it cooks unevenly so it's bad
nigga u dumb

Just sand it down and re-season it.... Cast iron cookware can be generations old.

Your not gonna hurt the pan but you may take off seasoning.
Cleaning cast iron EZ mode:
Get pan hot, just hot enough you can touch it just for a split second
Blast it with steaming hot water.
Wipe with sponge, scrub with wooden spatula if needed. Everything should come right off.
Recoat with thin layer of oil.

I've got a pan with a coating, sort of like pic related.
Do I need to season it? Can I clean it like a normal pan?

All my pans usually go to shit, so I've been thinking about getting a cast iron one.
But I need someone to instruct me about seasoning and washing, because I don't fucking get it.

Enamel pans don't season, so just treat them like a piece of glassware.

Y'all better not be cooking on that garbage-tier cast iron trash that's made by Lodge.

>1918 Golden Age of Cast Iron Plus One Century
>Not trawling eBay for immaculate early 1900's vintage Griswold or Wagner cast iron with the patrician machined cook surface and key descriptor "sits flat with no wobble" for even cooking and that all-round alpha-tier cast iron cooking experience.

Pic related, Wagner Ware #10 manufactured ca. 1925-1959 per manufacturer's stamp on the base.

(Ex)girlfriend made eggs for breakfast one morning and after the meal I found this in the sink, full of water. No doubt I lost some of my carefully accumulated seasoning in the recovery, but I dried my skillet and tears and stayed with her for another three or four months, thinking I could fix the trust and relationship that she broke.

There are people on fit RIGHT NOW that don't have a seasoned cast iron skillet.

Iron is literally the best for retaining heat thanks to being made of iron. Copper a shit, teflon has multiple health risks and can flake off. Go to a garage sale and buy a seasoned set right now if you don't have any unless you want to be a cooklet.

>I paid $150 for a $30 pan because it's SLIGHTLY more nonstick than a Lodge
Holy shit you people are gullible

cast iron is a big meme unless you're planning on putting in the oven

a cast iron skillet would break a tile on your floor before it would break. It's not brittle like fucking glass