/fast/ #75 - Eating disorders general

>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>WATCH THIS BEFORE ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS
youtu.be/APZCfmgzoS0

>WHY SHOULD I FAST?
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/
>Weight loss
>Better skin
>Autophagy

>WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY?
It's when your body takes apart useless, shitty cells. (Cancer cells, cells with broken protein, acne, loose skin, etc)
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-mtor-autophagy-1/

>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
Mix 2,000mg of lite salt & pink salt into a liter of water and drink that throughout the day. This is like Gatorade without the sugar, it'll keep you hydrated.
youtube.com/watch?v=8Ox9WXFcNIY

>WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!-- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.

>WONT I GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND DIE?!
You don't have the willpower to fast to death. Now look down. See that large bulbous gut? That's food. Thousands and thousands of calories stored and ready to be consumed by your body.

>WONT I LOSE MUSCLE?
This is the coolest part about fasting. Your body remains very anabolic when you fast.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
"Our results suggest that a fasting program in conjunction with resistance training can decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

>WHAT IS DRY FASTING? WONT I DEHYDRATE MYSELF?
No food or water consumption. Try this after your first water fast if you want. It's the fastest way to ketosis and autophagy.The longest record is 18 days. (Don't fucking dry fast for 18 days. 3-5 max)
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andreas_Mihavecz

>More dry fasting info
news.usc.edu/63669/fasting-triggers-stem-cell-regeneration-of-damaged-old-immune-system/
youtube.com/watch?v=81a10sZ4duU&t

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein-sparing_modified_fast
dairyreporter.com/Article/2015/02/04/Valio-develops-softer-and-milder-kefir-to-suit-Finnish-consumer-palate
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm 4 days in on my dry fast. Today was the easiest day, didnt feel light headed, no hunger, no thirst.

> refeeding with bacon grease to stay in ketosis

hold me, bros

Are you fat? If you're fat try to do a low carb vegetable refeed, literally for your shit's sake.

>(one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window)
How am I supposed to eat 2200 calories in two hours max?

IS PSMF LITERALLY USELESS?

PSMF = protein only diet, usually 1k kcal. NO fats/carbs

It just doesnt make any sense to me anymore after learning about prolonged fasting. The reason behind eating protein was to minimize muscle loss, right, but you're not fasting so you have absolutely no benefit of an actual fast.
So is this just a fucking bullshit that this jew sold to me all these years?

Why are you even fasting if you walk around that much? Though I would strongly advise not fasting while on the job. Especially your job. Save it for weekends and holidays.

Stop drinking water

It’s killing your fast’s effectiveness

Dry fasting is the only way

I tend to dry fast the first 36 hours, then go into a regular fast for the rest.

lmao u fucking casual, i make a proton shake that has 1200 kcals on it, just add fatty shit on your food (nuts, coconut oil, whole milk)

That's literally fucking retarded.

Theoretically it works the same as a fast because you're litterally starving your body of energy and forcing it to use a bare minimum of protein and body mass to fuel itself.
It seems more like the body doesn't actually use the protein to spare muscle, but to kickstart and maintain a bare minimum of energy ketosis diet.
It seems like it MIGHT be a good way to kick off a true water fast.

Yeah, lyle is an arrogant prick who is just trying to sell you stuff. No idea why hes a "fitness reference", Im pretty sure he starts his book about this psmf trying to sell some "new and amazing supp that will change everything" called Bromocriptine.

>It’s killing your fast’s effectiveness
Cole-tier pseudoscience

Nice. Are you the user going 7 days? I'm dry fasting too and was initially going for 72 hours (61 hours though right now), but things are going much better than expected that I decided going open-ended. Hope I'll make it far too.

People say the exactly same thing about fasting.
Yeah, so psmf is just a very low calorie keto? That means no autophagy, high GH and all the other good stuff.
There is no fucking way psmf can be better than prolonged fasting or even regular keto

Isnt water required to maintain basic bodily function.

>no autophagy

gross

You do psmf if you're a pussy too scared of not eating.
People used to talk about psmf here on Veeky Forums way before fasting and it was a very unpopular, dont expect anecdotes or even reasonable replies on this thread.

So what, you'll just not intaking anything at all?

Doin that cucumber and salt shit?

It is, there was a log on bb.com of a a 25% bf guy doing psmf for a few weeks and ending up with flabby skin all over his abs.

>Yeah, so psmf is just a very low calorie keto?
Basically yeah.
From what I've read about fasting and the results of that starvation diet experiment and keto dieting and reading the experiences of and seeing the results of both groups...
Yeah.

I do honestly believe that PSMF is a good way to START a long fast but not much better then an actual fast.

PSMF combined with intermittent fasting and true fasting might work really well for peak naturals and geared up people though.
But the normies can probably get away with a full on fast.

i'm
I'm not taking jack shit, all i do is take a shower and brush my teeth before going to sleep. Before starting it i ate like a pig drank a shitload of water and took a teaspoon of baking soda, took the biggest shit of my life and was pissing clear for the whole first day. Started getting light headed but miraculously it's gone now.

Only fasting has logic and science to back it up. Eating purely protein makes no fucking sense, seems impossible, and goes off some weird fucking reasoning that eating a ton of protein suddenly means "ur gonna get huge gains br0."

Too much of one thing is not good for you, in practically every circumstance.

I've done both and normal fasting was significantly easier. I also lost more fat, kept more strength and in a shorter time frame than PSMF.

PSMF just made me feel constant lethargy and hunger.

yea bud, i'm aiming for a whole week but if i feel like shit i'll stop right away. First 3 days were shit but now i'm feeling ok. Let's hope it keeps this way

No, it was never about gains.
It was about minimizing lean body mass loss.

Doing IF with a 4 hour eating window and then not eating for the rest of the 20 hours. I fasted so much last month I need to recover before my next long fast.

Luecin while fasting/doing keto takes care of that, along with the extra HGH. Eating that much protein is just thing to Hiroshima your colon.

Dude WHAT?
Have you ever heard of gluconeogenesis?
You are literally using a lot of that protein a glucose, most of it won't even help your muscles.
You might as well eat 1000 kcals of bread.

4 days is no joke,

What's the baking soda for

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein-sparing_modified_fast
You're KINDA right.
People have been doing psmf for a long time now and you can google results from shredded guys.
You get into ketosis by not eating carbs, psmf IS a keto diet. PSMF = low calorie stupid keto, you get faster results but get hormonal downsides from not eating fats for that long time.

But as it stands, psmf sounds just plain stupid right? Weird how Veeky Forums used to have threads about it all the time back then.

it's still retarded.you get more muscle on keto IF
and the good stuff..

I KNOW!
Look at this print from his book, he's clearly full of shit WHY IS HE A "FITNESS GURU"????

Because he's a relentless lunatic who reads every single fucking study there is on a subject before he ever opens his mouth and his entire sense of self is based around being both correct and respected for being correct.

Problem is that he's never once thought about NOT EATING and pure fasting. The concept is alien as fuck for someone that deep in the fitness and athletics cave.

psmf has been used medically for decades

Dont shill so fucking hard

doesn't your body not really start breaking down lean body mass until you're at some rediculous level of fat, like 4% BF?

alkalinizing the body to make it easier for the kidneys

>talking with normie friend
>"woah user I was on r*ddit and I saw on r/brogress a guy did IF for a year and look so good!"
>"how did he gain muscle and lose weight? He must have had the perfect balance of training and TYPES OF CALORIES"
>types of calories
And this guy just got into med school Oi vey

go to any doctor and tell you have to fast for a week for religious reasons, Doctors take literally one class for nutrition, unless they are going to be nutrologists, and if they do, they are just going to push pills and supplements on you.

doctors are fucking stupid. they are literally pharmacists with higher " education "

how does adderall effect a fast

and if they don't, then they'll shill big pharma at you instead

drugs are fine

Probably his way of saying macros

i would def recommend a vape over a bong though

Makes you less hungry, not that you'll be super hungry anyway if ur doin it rite.

is 8% BF healthy?

or should I stop at 9 or 10% BF instead?

Im currently getting ready to start a fast in a couple weeks, but I'm worried about staying hydrated because I am terrified of kidney stones. If I follow the snake juice diet, Im I going to have hydration concerns?

The protons being used are not lean muscle mass. If they are protoss from muscle they're probably in need of renovqation.

to quote dr fungus "the body isn't a dingus".

when you are starved the body eats the fat storage not muscle because of this non dingo factor

snake juice is pretty much a home made gatorade that will keep you hydrated

Taking a litter of water right now.

Going to do a 1-2 day dry fast while reading Berserk and Lolita.

We are all going to make it bros.

>Lolita
why does everyone want to read this?

It's the ultimate pedo fantasy

berserk is awesome,but they release a chapter like every fucking 6 months

It was every six months because he keeps taking breaks. Serialization started again so it'll be every month

Water fasted for 100 hours. 1 kiwi, 1 banana, 1 slice of bread, jello and coffe as first food, thats ok?

The prose is really beautiful.

Not "HUR HUR BEST BOOK EVER" like everyone says, but is really great.

Lewd af desu.

It stills surprise me how this book could been published in America.

I fucking hope.

I mean, that was supposed to happen last year.

Miura would be a hack if he wasn't literally the best comic book artist of all time (Fuck you Alex Ross)

Yes, it just forces your body into ketosis faster by forcing it to break down fat cells for metabolic water, whereby priming your system with ketone bodies (beta hydroxybeuterate) to minimize the catabolic window.

I want to try a fast but my job is too physically intensive for me to survive it without daily calorie intake

Then just OMAD you retard

>telling lean people to eat 5 meals a week
That’s stupid as fuck. I can guarantee that whoever added this was not lean

Need more fiber for those gut bacteria, maybe mix it in the jello next time.

>I fucking hope.
Did you even read the most recent chapter?

isn't this book about written by a jew about a jew who fucks kid prostitutes and then kills some lady so he can fuck her kid?
Honorable white men shouldn't be reading such filth.

Murder and pedophilia do not mix, sorry man. That ain't right.

Who /stomach distension here/?
I can get bloated real bad, I won't gain any weight, but my stomach will expand as if I ate two pizzas or some shit. Feels bad.

But I'm trying to lose weight and gain muscle at the same time

i wouldn't go as far as saying it's stomach distension, but yeah I get bloated REAL bad if I have something along the lines of a large milkshake

I know there is a new chapter, but last year everyone said Berserk was coming each month and then another hiatus happened.

I don't have high hopes desu.

It takes me about two days of not eating or eating light for it to go away too. How do you make it go away? Straight up fast or?

i literally started fasting right after it happened to me last, and it was gone faster than it ever has in the past

>last year everyone said
You misunderstand, Miura says it's resuming not "everyone"

My keto sticks got here today. I ate a shit ton of popcorn this morning and peed on one just now... shows trace ketones. Are my sticks broken?

Ok, user.

I will believe in that fat fuck.

I'm not going to hold my breath tho.

>I ate a shit ton of popcorn
Like 10 bags is like 50 calories without the butter lmao

Man... I was on a pretty heavy carb diet before I started this fast. Lots of spaghetti and made a couple rounds of UNSPEAKABLE THINGS.

Gained 5 pounds since summer after all the progress I've made and decided to do another fast because I let my diet somewhat go back to shit.

Its 48 hours into my fast. I'm lightheaded and irritated as fuck. All I can think about is food. I want to indulge but I won't let myself.

Hoping it gets a little easier tomorrow.

How to get over the fear of extended fasting?

>be me
>lose a fair amount of weight doing 2-3 day fasts, never had any problems
>no supplements/snake juice because muh potassium kills meme Finnish doctors push on us
>decide to go for 7 days
>day 5
>mom visits town unannounced (this happens like twice a year)
>she was anorexic in her teenage years
>against all sorts of calorie restriction / weight loss
>mfw this is the reason I’m fat in the first place
>she insists we have to go out to eat
>I worry about fucking up my refeed but say yes anyway to avoid having a scene with her
>order a chicken salad and eat it as slowly as possible
>she orders chocolate cake for me even though I say no
>eat half of it to avoid having a scene with her
>later that night
>getting ready to go to bed
>feel sudden pain in my legs
>gets worse
>MUCH worse
>end up in bed, holding my legs
>shaking, cramping, pain, cold sweats
>literally the worst pain I have ever felt in my life
>this goes on for 4 hours until I pass out from exhaustion
>wake up the next morning feeling like my legs got crushed by a hydraulic press

Ever since then I have been too afraid to fast for over 2 days at a time. NoSalt ect. is not available in my country so I searched high and low to find a potassium source. The best I found is a mineral salt mix with 21grams of potassium, 2grams of magnesium and 50grams of sodium per 100grams. Can I utilize this to make snake juice?
And how the hell do I get over my fear of dropping dead on a fast now?

Oh look no progress pics in yet ANOTHER /fast/ thread.

Oh it really works? Well prove it.

I'll wait.

I'd really like to here somebody's thoughts on this.

Which is better when intermittent fasting, eating after waking up or before going to sleep?

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

easy mode: calorie dense food (halva is god tier but a lot of carbs)
hard mode: eat more

My yeans are almost literally falling from my body (Not skinny, just less fat) started fasting in December.

I don't have pics of that time but just took a pick 2 days ago so I can post the progress in a week of fast.

Agreed, I fast at work but I work in IT and sit on my ass all day.

You sure it was the food that caused it? I didn't use any sodium or potassium for my six day fast and this (pic related) is what I broke my fast with. I didn't have anything come of it except a literal high from eating and a watery shit.

so do it on weekends or off days

why are you posting this in a fasting thread dickhole

if you also have eaten a lot of veggies your shit would be normal

>lightheaded
you're drinking that snake juice, right?

I can't imagine what else could have caused this. I was feeling completely fine until I had to break the fast so harshly. I read up on refeeding syndrome and my symptoms were mentioned on the list of symptoms. I do find it odd that one could experience refeeding syndrome after only 5 days though.

Fatass here(220+lbs, 102kgs/5'7" 170cm). Watched video in OP, have a few questions:
Should I do the salt water thing from the first fasting or try just water first? How hard can I safely workout while fasting? Any personal experinces from your first times fasting?
What happens after you're done fasting? ie, fast a few days, eat normally for a day, fast again?

Should I try intermitent first, or go full madman?

do you have kefir in your country?

Can I take vitamins if I'm doing a dry fast?

The only kefir product I have seen was some sort of sugary processed pudding/kefir mix. We do have products of fermented milk/cream but I'm not sure if it's the same thing as kefir.

If you get drunk morning to night for about a week straight, you will go into alcohol withdraw and not be able to eat for several days. Also helps dehydrate you.
I lost 70lbs this way

I only fasted 3 times (yesterday was my third time). I started with 24h for now, first time was hell, felt weak, then the cold kicked it (bpm dropped to 60 while sitting, my 'normal' is 80+ sitting) second time was easier, but was still weak-ish~ and still felt cold. Yesterday was my third and the most easy one yet, didn't even feel like I was not eating. First two times I was shitting water during fast and after refeeding, read in this thread, that if you shit water DURing fast, you are drinking too much snake juice, so on my 3rd time I only drank maybe 600ml (I have 1.5L bottle ready) while I drank whole bottle first two times.

I would advice to not work out during a fast or after it, unless you are in home gym, if you fuck up refeeding you will shit explosive liquid. I work out ABxABxx and I fast on second A (thursday) so I eat my first meal at 6pm, second 8pm then work out 10pm and then eat some more protein after workout.

sucks man, you have fermented milk? what country is it? kefir is sort of like fermented milk, sort of

Been fasting for a little over 50 hours, been knocking back snake juice when I feel tired. Just sat on the toilet and shit brown water for like a minute straight. Is this a good or bad thing?

I'm from Finland. We have fermented milk but my Eastern European friend said it doesn't taste/seem like real kefir. There's a possibility the bigger cities have stores that carry it but I live in the North and we don't have gigantic health food stores ect.

quick search, Valio makes Kefir
dairyreporter.com/Article/2015/02/04/Valio-develops-softer-and-milder-kefir-to-suit-Finnish-consumer-palate
if you can find it in your city.

it means you are drinking too much