Muay Thai

Redpill me on Muay Thai

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/WPOqwhwWnNA?t=10m50s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's a meme.
Back in the day, nobody cared about it, until Bas Rutten showed up. Thing is that Rutten never did proper MT but Dutch Thaiboxing, which is more a mix of boxing and kyokushin karate than actual Muay Thai from Thailand.

You can look around on Sherdog a bit, there are several posts about the history of those two styles.

It's fun, it keeps you in shape, it might give you bone cancer.
6/10 overall

Examples for the differences:
>Footwork: MT uses triangular footwork, Thaiboxing uses more straight karate/boxing footwork
>Punches: Punches don't give many points in MT, so they concentrate on clinching and kicking. In Thaiboxing, they have the whole Euro boxing method integrated (One could also write volumes about the differences between Euro and US boxing styles, but that doesn't belong here).
>Rules: Obviously, MT clinches more and the Thais really excel there. In Thaiboxing, clincing for a long time is not allowed by the rules.
>Fighting tactics: MT is a sport that evolved from ritualized feats of strength during religious festivals. Therefore, they just stand there and trade hits to show they're tough, and they counter to show they can control the opponent. The Thais love that. Thaiboxing OTOH evolved from Euro boxing and kickboxing competitions so it's more like a fight with mobility etc.

arabs in france seem to love it for some odd reason

Turks in Germany too. Kickboxing is a "wog sport" here.

>manly sports are for turks
>gay bitch sports for germans
no wonder they're replacing you faggot

>living in germany
>all cool sports crowded with sandniggers
>sandniggers hate jews
>train krav maga

It's the academization of society, everyone wants to be an IQ 160 academic, nobody wants to do sports.

Krav Maga is indeed pretty popular, especially among women who are afraid of rapenings.

Yet another choreographed dancing sport.

Here's a protip: if your 'fighting' technique includes hugging your opponent (clench!) And then pressing your face against your opponents (sticky!) then youre preparing your body to have its face bitten off.

Life aint a Hollywood movie dipshits.

BONUS PROTIP: If you enjoy standing on one leg in a fight, then your going to LOVE doing wheelies in your new, permanent wheelchair.

>if your 'fighting' technique includes hugging your opponent (clench!)
boxing has clinches, and it's the only real legitimate combat sport

Please share how you think there is any wiser way to block a push-kick to the nuts than by lifting your shin

How are your ears, matey?

good, why? cauliflower ear is more of a wrestling/rugby thing

boxing is very useful without doubt, because most fights are just won and lost with one good punch, but I wouldn't consider it a "real legitimate combat sport".
IMO combat and sport can't be trained together. Combat has no rules, sport has. Either you train combat or you train sport.

Step forward around the leg as it's raised (as you see done in any match where a robot is doing it over and over)

Or you know, simply take a step back.

Of course. A fist to the neck has only sport utility.

As said pal, it is very useful and can benefit combat. But there is no "real legitimate combat sport".

Hence "combat sports" is combat with rules.

MT is legit though. God tier cardio, toughens you up and traches you how to fight. Anyone talking shit has probably never trained a ring sport.

>Combat has no rules

Yay, we have a winner.

If you want to do cardio you might aswell learn the flamingo or jazz freestyle dancing, at least you'll meet some women.

The only people that are impressed by choreographed 'fight standing's is fucking weeb.

>Any strawman talking shit has probably never trained a ring sport.

Ohhhhhhh

>traches you how to fight.
Nope.

>Anyone talking shit has probably never trained a ring sport.
Lmao, ring sports guys are always beaten up here in Germany. Just get a pal and a knife or iron rod or something and you are now stronger than a world champion in boxing or wrestling.

The much-maligned (in America at least) older martial arts fare a lot (A LOT) better here.

TIGER
TIGER
TIGER
TIGER
TIGER
TIGER UPPERCUT

Most self-defense classes are lower class and prole-centric. Muay Thai taps into the sort of "Asian mystique" that sort of still holds sway in poor communities (places where eating sushi is still seem as something wildly exotic and special)

Hey look, it's the super tough street fighter crew. You spastics probably only step out of your parents' houses to go to school. If you'ce never trained a ring sport or competitive martial art your opinion is meaningless.

>I like watching sweaty men hug eachother
>If you haven't trained to hug other sweaty men then you're not cool to me.

Fuck dude, there's proper boards for that, /fit isn't one of them.

There's nothing particularly mystical about MT, you kick and punch the other guy til he doesn't get up. There's a traditional tribal aspect to it but most Western clubs ignore that.

>watching

I don't really keep ahead of MMA, boxing or similar. It's more exciting to do than to watch, kind of like weightlifting.

>martial arts threads on Veeky Forums
Some of the worst shit I see.

Say that to his face

>Muay Thai
It's a meme martial art
How many UFC champions come from Muay Thai background? Exactly 0

(you)

>wrestling/bjj = men hugging xD
kek I love to fuck up insecure dyel faggots like you

are you seriously implying that every guy has the guts to bite and draw blood then continue to fight without flinching?m8 most guys dont want to fight after they see themselves covered in blood after getting their nose broken.

get the knife and the bat then what are you gonna do with them?threaten the guy with them?are you seriously saying that you would bash someone's skull and then continue by stabbing him?if your answer is yes then it means you are either crazy or you've never seen someone getting stabbed and you should stop watching anime

Oof ow my bones

>then it means you are either crazy
Don't give him ideas he'll just keep larping and building his tough-guy persona

kinda depends on what you want to use it for and where you train.
If you want to be better at self defense then it'll make it so you know how to throw and take a punch but kicking in a street fight is high level autism and really there are much better options for learning self defense.
As a sport it's better than a lot of other martial arts in my opinion but thats pretty subjective. It'll get you fit and toughen you up a bit

gee I wonder what causes the difference in their physiques...

That pic is some hilarious bait and I love it

unmatched for clinch training and developing knees/elbows. you arent gonna become anderson though, stick to boxing/BJJ

nobody does regular muay thai in the west
when we're talking about thai boxing it's the kick boxing with clinch and elbows not tthe traditionnal muay thai
and I'm pretty sure that Op doesn't care about traditionnal thai sports

protip: jews are sandniggers too

I started doing full contact karate kickboxing about 7 years ago. A year after going into that, I started doing submission wrestling and regular K-1 style kickboxing. Two years ago, I started doing proper Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and about a month ago I started training with a professional Muay Thai team. I've had three kickboxing fights, one MMA fight and several BJJ bouts and tournaments, and I'll most likely get a couple of semi-pro Muay Thai fights this year, so that's where I stand from in my perspective.

Muay Thai is a ridiculously complex system with a lot of intricacies, and it is, above all, an art of specialization. The more traditional you get, the more this specialization becomes apparent, whereas when you turn to the more modern dutch and European style of Muay Thai, it becomes able to fit a broader range of techniques that are better suited to the ring and can accommodate all body types. Traditional Thai boxers put enormous emphasis on the art of eight limbs, meaning they hold elbows and knees to enormous importance and develop a level of nuance in these two strikes that no other martial art offers. When you consider how easy it is to break your hand in a real fight with no gloves, it makes a whole lot of sense that you would want to set things up with your punches and finish them with elbows and knees. The straight punches from the European style which is derived from boxing and karate, however, are incredible dominant in the ring when combined with proper footwork and head movement. Going by my experiences fighting with no gloves (really just a street fight where I did a double and got side control), I wouldn't gamble my hands away by trying to punch from a distance; ironic, since as a taller fighter I have a stick and move approach to the ring. Even an expert fighter is just relying on luck to not break his hands on someone's dome when punching with no gloves.

>unmatched for clinch training

Quick, name a more useless real life skill to have.

>Unmatched basketball spinning on finger training.

You really think clinch fighting doesn't happen in a real fight?

>Traditional Thai boxers put enormous emphasis on the art of eight limbs

Could have been 9 weapons... but Headbutting is banned...

Because it isn't combat training, it's a gentlemen's sport of 'rules and honour'.

hope your country has free health care for that eventual stab wound bro: you're working your ego up to the point where you dont even realise how vulnerable your frail meatsack of a body is.

The average Joe has no idea of what to do if they get into the clinch
>b-but they're close so I'll bite them
Good luck doing that while you're hunched over with a knee in your face

you think people really dont bite or headbut in real life?

WEW

you knee someone in the face, while they're hunched over, and in the clench?

You cant bite someone in a clench, because they're actually bent over, being kneed?

why the fuck do stoners use Veeky Forums anyway?

>Could have been 9 weapons... but Headbutting is banned...
That much is true. However, I did Combat Sambo for quite a while too and never caught any headbutts.
If you bite someone in a fight, sure it's gonna hurt. If you rely on biting, you're gonna get hurt. Bad. You really think biting someone is gonna make them let go of you and roll over in pain? Not to mention, half the clinch work is not letting your opponent's head close to your body, as that hides it and makes it hard to hit. You can bite to get out of a sticky situation in the clinch, sure. However all that's gonna happen is you're gonna be left in the same place where you started and if you're not the better clinch fighter you're still getting beat up.

try headbutting a nak muay while he has a thai plum secured on your lmfao
even better try biting a greco roman wrestler who has double underhooks on you
just please film yourself doing that

>random faggot who goes into a martial arts thread to tell everybody combat sports are useless since he can bite and has mastered the art of the iron pipe going on about inflated egos
The irony

he probably carries a knock off swiss army knife which makes him feel tough not realizing that the time it takes him to pull it out then flip out the blade is enough time for his fat tard ass to get stomped

>wow this doesn't work in a fight you'd get headbutted and bit I know this because I'm an expert in street fights
>i won a street fight by grappling no problem
>wow what an inflated ego you have fighting in the streets is stupid you're just gonna get stabbed
See yourself out, mongrel

>hope your country has free health care for that eventual stab wound bro: you're working your ego up to the point where you dont even realise how vulnerable your frail meatsack of a body is.

and what would be the alternative considering he said you can get your hand broken from punching? Damn you're a fucking idiot.

Cool comment, never thought that punching was so risky. When I was in a street fight I punched the shit out of a guy and nothing happened to my hand, and yes, he felt my punches cause I dropped him

You're an idiot.

If you'ce never been caught in a clinch before (which it doesn't sound like you have) you won't realise how much you get thrown around andbhow fast the knees come in to your stomach, ribs and face.

A punch that lands well isn't risky at all, but next time you're sparring, think about how many times your hand hits the top of a guy's head. I mean, if you know how to fight you'll most likely win 9/10 times or more, specially considering the other guy could also get a broken hand, but it's a tiny slip up that could just be bad luck and would land a trained fighter on the operating table over a fight with someone whose only training is drinking beer and watching TV

or you could just look at a finger, imagine there's 3 bones in it, how small they must be...

...and how fucking retarded you are for smashing some of the smallest bones in your body, against some of the largest and densest bones your opponent has.

The clinch isn't fucking stationary
>pro tip: you're not gonna be the one manhandling an experienced fighter in it

jeez old lead pipe boy kinda got btfo'd huh?

Ever had your foot stomped on before while you were trying to hug someone?

no?

Because you play in a safespace with a hundred+ rules (lol@UFC) designed to protect 'fighters' and ensure they have the longest matches, and longest careers possible... because martial arts is a business, masquerading as combat training.

Foot stomps are allowed in the UFC. Next

>Ever had your foot stomped on
holy fuck man just stop this is embarrassing

High quality bait

Do answer the OP, yes, dancing is great for cardio.

>posts jake gyllenhall
Topkek user

Top kek, foot stomping is legal in the UFC. I don't know if you're for real or just bating but I implore you to stop.

yes but shoes arent.

Ever been kicked in the shin?

>ever had your foot stomped on

Yes, I have actually.

Yesterday while I was actually training the shit you're hypothesising. Do you know what I did? Said "ow!" then carried on with my take down and submitted him with a choke.

inb4
>I was just pretending to be retarded I totally bamboozled you all

Ever been kicked with a shin, bitchboy?

And on top of that, the elbow is a fucking nasty joint, closes thing humans have to talons. You smash someone on the top of the head with your elbow, sure you're not damaging any soft tissue and your elbow is gonna hurt for a couple of days, but there's a good chance you'll leave a nasty gash on their scalp, and those can get messy and bleed a lot real quick.

i wasnt talking about real life, user. who hurt you? why are you sperging out in this thread?

I've been stomped on the foot by guys wearing rugby boots you don't even notice that shit until afterwards
>ever been kicked in the shin
You know that muay thai specifically trains to kick using the shin right? a part of it is conditioning your shins to take strikes, your shin kicks won't work
what's your next cheap trick?

Kicks to the shin are an ancient Muay Thai move that's becoming really popular in MMA these days. I'm 100% for kicking the shin coming back in style.

4 retards talking about foot stomps in a muay thai thread. slow clap for you all.

fight someone without gyno, you big bully.

(nah but seriously, is that a catchweight fight?)

>heh I'll call them retards without adding anything to the discussion that'll let them know how cool I am

Now I know you're just trying to get (you)'s. Go do something better with your time. The point was that if foot stomps were the epic move that makes the clinch useless it would be used all the time to counter it in mma. It isn't though because getting your foot stomped is only a mild annoyance and doesn't hurt until after the adrenaline has settled

>I'm gonna list off every possible bum fighting move to show you your "training" is pointless since they don't teach you about each specific one.

Fuck off, weightlifting is like one of my japanese animes
youtu.be/WPOqwhwWnNA?t=10m50s

Do women do this too?

>'sensei... I promise I'd never use the forbidden jerking technique but...'
>bows solemnly in the rack position
>'I have to do it'
>shot of that triple extension
>music cues up
>"HYPAAA DURIVUUUUUU"
>archnemesis stands from his seat
>'m-masaka!'
>gust of wind blows judges away
>music reaches a crescendo
>Ilya stands with the weight over his head
>everyone cheers
>manga panel still image of Ilya holding the weight as the screen fades to black and the outro plays

user I love weightlifting, but I inly ever watch the 85 and iver A groups. Even then I only watch the last four or five lifters. It's much more fun conpeting yourself.

>against a completely black background something falls and shatters
>it's a hypodermic needle
>the text "it was all for nothing... nothing!" comes onscreen
>slowly fades away to the sound of crowds cheering

Boxing is gay homo shit

Haha what an edgelord

>their entire value system is based about killing and hurting the infidels
odd indeed

I have a gun.

No, that would be obscene and weird