QTDDTOT - Newbies who'll only get to the gym for 3 days edition

No QTDDTOT, last one died.

Quick question here. I've got really tight calf/hamstrings/glutes. I struggle just to get into position to do a pendley row. And I can't get into position to do an L-sit. I've got enough strength to hold it a few seconds if I use some support like kettlebells but it's not really a greatly-shaped L.
Any short exercise or stretch I can do to work on that? I know most of the stretch pages recommended, and do them at least once a week, but I don't have time to spend 30 minutes stretching everyday, so I'm looking for only one or two stretches that would only work calf/hamstrings/glutes.
Thanks!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LT_dFRnmdGs
youtube.com/watch?v=IYqsWAjvEbI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I dont havw a quick stretch, but a passive one

L-sit against a wall, make the angle just past it being comfortable and find something to do.
10-15 mins a day

I have the shortest hammies ever and this really helped me during my rowing days

My q;
I was a ppl routine thats 7 days long so my workouts fall on the same day.
6 days, 1 rest fatigues me too much, 3 days feels too light.
Wat do

Instead of PPLrPPL try for example this:

PPrLrPP and continue the other week with rLrPPrL and so on. This way you'll have basically 4,5 days of exercise a week.

Or you can do PPLrPP - LrPPLrP and so on.. ending up with 5 days of exercise a week.

I've been doing the 6 day version for 2 months now and found out I need more rest days, so I'm going to transfer to one of these routines.

How do I improve my posture but most importantly keep my shoulders down and backwards in place?

I'm tall, skinny, and haven't done exercise for 24 years until I joined the gym 3 months ago. I still struggle with this a lot. I focus on it when I do all my exercises but on the last reps they always fall back forward and up, and sometimes I'll still wake up with tense aching shoulders.

I had a similiar question in mind. I created a PPL workout plan with scoobys website and it told me to do PrPrLrr (only cardio on the rest days), I want to hit the same muscles at least twice a week though. Thought about PPLPPLr.

Anyone has experience what method is the best?

youtube.com/watch?v=LT_dFRnmdGs
Small exercises like this helped me

most effective are YTWL and shoulder dislocates, stretch your front muscles and strengthen your mid back

lots of people i know get mid back pain from standing all day because their back is so weak

If want to do everything twice the obviously you will need to go pplpplx,

I found I got super fatigued, even if I wasn't lifting heavy and that hampered my progress.
If you are extremely conditioned or on gear 6x can work for you.

If you are deadset on working everything twice maybe switch from ppl to upper/lower or fullbody

>173cm (5'8")
>72kg (160lbs)
>130kg (286lbs) squat.
Where do I buy underwear?
My arse is way to big for a L and my waist way too slim for an XL.
I'm not even huge.

When doing ppl routine should I be increasing the weights by 2.5kg each session?

last couple of months my libido took a real turn for the worse
im super stressed eating badly sleeping badly but still lifting

what is the best quickest way to increase it?

You must always strive to improve your previous performance.

That said, simply adding weight to the bar - what's called linear progression - is the toughest way to make continued progress. It works when you're only just starting out, but it quickly becomes too difficult.

What most people do is what's called "double progression". They stick with a certain weight and try to add reps over time. For example they'll build from 3x8 with a given weight towards 3x12 with the same weight. When they reach the rep target, they'll increase the weight and start over at e.g. 8 reps.

It's OK if sometimes only manage to add a single rep to just one of the sets, or even if you see no progress. As long as you can look back and know that your current performance is better than it was a month ago.

You must always strive to beat your previous performance. This is what's called progressive overload, and the moment you're not achieving progressive overload, is the moment you're not seeing any gains anymore.
You could argue that the entire point of a training program is to manipulate variables (e.g. volume, intensity, frequency) in order to make it possible to keep achieving progressive overload.

You know you answered your own question, right?

Arch back on bench or nah?

You said it yourself
>less stress
>better sleep
>better diet

Welcome to the world of men's fitness, where you can't buy freaking underwires! Jokes aside, try different types of undies. Basic briefs, boxers briefs, trunks... I pretty much think that one of these kinds of stuff should be good (most likely trunks).

I guess that if you're asking, you're still new and shouldn't be doing PPL. But no you should not. You shouldn't either on any LP though, 2.5Kg is to much except for deadlifts.
Try to increase the reps each session. When you can comfortably do 2 reps above the prescribe number for each set, then increment the weight by the smallest amount possible and repeat.

Thanks, I'll try that. For your question, everyone summed it up. Either add one or more rest days, or do a 4 days upper/lower routine.

whats the best app for the gym, i need one that gives me timetables, exercises etc.

but specfisically howjust eat a lot, what is good eating.

bad sleep? does it mean always take a strong sleepy pill every day before bed?

stress? how to deasl with that im sure overeating is not an solujtion

Calvins fit me very well and I also have that sweet squat booty at 5’9

It depends.

There are two things that must be done properly in my opinion.
First, you must always arc your UPPER back ie your thoracic spine. Basically try to point the bottom of your chest towards the ceiling. This puts your shoulders in a much better position. Safer and stronger.
Second, you must never lose tension in your abs. If your lower ribs flare out, then you fucked up. Don't try to arch so much you can't maintain tension.

As long as you check those two things, trying to arch more or less is mostly a question of trying to shorten the range-of-motion, which will allow you to handle more weight in a competition.

>bad sleep? does it mean always take a strong sleepy pill every day before bed?
No you dumb fuck. Your thinking is all backwards. You don't take pills to hide your problems, you handle your problems.

>>bad sleep? does it mean always take a strong sleepy pill every day before bed?
>No you dumb fuck. Your thinking is all backwards. You don't take pills to hide your problems, you handle your probl
but how?

How do you become a PT? I've tried a bunch of things over the last year and not much has worked out. I'm not good at many things but training and teaching are two things I do well. I think it might be a good career for me. Don't really care about money just want a job that will use my strength

>2.5Kg is too much except for dead lifts
How small are your smallest weights? I've never seen anything below 1kg plates which means a 2kg increase on a barbell.

Stretch stretch stretch stretch stretch

Buy book '8 Steps to a Pain Free Back' by Esther Gohkle it outlike proper posture, and passive stretches you can do while sitting, laying down, and even asleep. It's a lifesaver.

Shit, okay I'm going to try to hold your hand a bit here...

First, are you stressed because you can't sleep, or can't you sleep because you're stressed?

If it's just your sleep that's fucked and you're feeling stressed because of it:
Exercise regularly (but not right before bedtime)
Eat your vegetables
No artificial lights before bedtime
Go to bed and get out of bed at roughly the same time every day including weekends

If your sleep is fucked because you're stressed out:
Figure out what's stressing you out
Girlfriend problem?
Your boss being a dick?
Parent just died?
Existential crisis?
Training too much?
Figure out what it is, and handle it.

>You must always strive to improve your previous performance.
>That said, simply adding weight to the bar - what's called linear progression - is the toughest way to make continued progress. It works when you're only just starting out, but it quickly becomes too difficult.
>What most people do is what's called "double progression". They stick with a certain weight and try to add reps over time. For example they'll build from 3x8 with a given weight towards 3x12 with the same weight. When they reach the rep target, they'll increase the weight and start over at e.g. 8 reps.
>It's OK if sometimes only manage to add a single rep to just one of the sets, or even if you see no progress. As long as you can look back and know that your current performance is better than it was a month ago.
>You must always strive to beat your previous performance. This is what's called progressive overload, and the moment you're not achieving progressive overload, is the moment you're not seeing any gains anymore.
>You could argue that the entire point of a training program is to manipulate variables (e.g. volume, intensity, frequency) in order to make it possible to keep achieving progressive overload

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Its dead father
girlfriend left me
money in very short supply
starting to gradually live like a hobo
hate myself for not being a good musician but have no time or money to play

basically that also i miss the past and all i miss my cats as much as i miss my girlfriends

So handle it

When doing Skullcrushers I have a very localized pain in my forearms, akin to shin splints, for months now.

Did I fuck up? Pain is greater in my dominant hand. I also play the guitar a lot, could that extra stress prevent the muscle from recovering?

how?, specially how all at same time

How big of a difference is incline vs flat db bench really (for upper chest/as an accessory)? I'm buying some equipment for my home gym (dumbbells) and wondering if I should upgrade my flat bench to an incline just so that I can do incline db bench or if I'll see similar results doing it flat.

Will stretching / doing yoga destroy gains?

Incline is better for chest and shoulder gains. Do both, flat bench with heavy weight and Incline for 8-12 reps.

Don't do anything but compound lifts and machines if you want to keep your gains

Yoga will help recovery

Eat and sleep well. Also, do them behind your head, not hitting your skulle with the bar.
If it keeps being uncomfortable, take a week where you only do half the weight.

I meant doing yoga after a workout

Sound bretty gud desu, gonna try a beginner sequence i found in a booket today.

Don't forget your yoga pants and butt plug if you want to do yoga

For any LP program, I use my own 0.5Kg plates. This way I can jump 1 then 1.5Kg. If you don't want to do this, then even on an LP program, you'll have to adjust the rep range (like 3x3 to 3x5 for instance). You can't really progress much with 2.5Kg/5.5lbs jumps

Incline vs. flat is only half the story. How much you flare or tuck your elbows, as well as to where you lower the barbell matters just as much, if not more.
If your shoulders can handle neck presses aka guilloutine presses, you can build a decent set of upper pecs on a simple flat bench.

Took a week long break from gym as was visiting GF in Normiestan. Today I started again and I can't even lift my warmup weight. On my 3rd bench set the bar guillotined me on my first rep. I tried rows/OHP/bench. I can't lift half the weight I used to a week ago. How/why. I ate under maintenance but it was 7 fucking days. I'm on gear FFS. Should I deload?

i underate for a week, and it killed my libido how to make sure i recover it, should i just eat a lot of calories oor some particular kind of nutrient?

Can i just use a regular squat plug?

just did day 2 of the nsuns supposed 5/3/1 linear progression routine. i'm at 1/2/3/4 for my 1rep maxes and the volume was absolutely brutal. i hit all my lifts and i'll toughen up if it is supposed to be this intense but i was not mentally prepared for this lol

i hate squats anyway and 9 sets of them followed by 9 sets of sumo deadlifts seems like a lot to ask of me.

Have a re-feed day

yeah, a little bit unless youve decided to compete as a powerlifter. if that's your plan touch your traps to your ass

Took a week long break from gym as was visiting GF in Normiestan. Today I started again and I can't even lift my warmup weight. On my 3rd bench set the bar guillotined me on my first rep. I tried rows/OHP/bench. I can't lift half the weight I used to a week ago. How/why. I ate under maintenance but it was 7 fucking days. I'm on gear FFS. Should I deload?

LP is for beginners not intermediate/advanced lifters ffs

being in a deficit really affects everything, gear doesnt make you automatically strong or muscly

It's odd. Many people find that they perform great after taking the occasional week off. For me, my performance has always gone right to shit. Usually takes a couple of days for me to get back. Don't know if my nervous system gets lazy or something.

yeah but i feel like i still have some LP left in the tank. i've only been lifting 5 months and making consistent gains, but haven't been doing any kind of linear progression routine so i'm not sure where i oughta be.

i'm not gonna be able to walk tomorrow am i?

Wtf is wrong with you?
Are you an infant?
How do you function on your own?

If it got too out of hand, tackle one problem at a time.
Prolly start with sorting out sleep

Is substituting breakfast with a protein shakes bad habit? I feel like I stay full longer than if I cook eggs and meat.

Think I know why his girlfriend left him and his dad killed himself.

so you havent done linear progression so you dont actually know where you're at, just that you're 5 months in and possible construed a 1/2/3/4 from a calculator?

what did you lift for 5/3/1? did you do 3x5 before?

ofcourse you stay full longer when your stomach actually has to do some work

you should eat a lot of fibre for breakfast imo so shake is probably the worst thing to have

This is a fitness board.

Are you sure you don't need some therapy instead of this?

Any reason a woman shouldn't do the same lifts we push on men? Anything particular that should be added to their routine?

Wife asked me to get a plan together for her, but all you fucking see on for are tranny routines.

AFAIK, so long they have the same goals (strength, aesthetics and whatnot) they should do the same but with less weight.

I wager women usually don't do the same exercises because they want to have better butts and legs, while men tend to focus more on upper body strength/mass.

Are my shoulders too small? Ive been lifting for years but no diet, 2 months into cut feelin good. Are they too small or am I being paranoid?

Working at manual labor. Hard word. Everyday is killing my lower traps. Been favoring right side and worried about imbalances now that I'm getting serious into lifting. Trying to start alternating which side lifts, but my right always seems to activate more than my left. Plus feels awkward. Advice?

Pls post your butt
>no homo, just for science

Don't look like you lift brah, keep cutting and come back

>lifting for years
yeah, nah
go on a proper diet with proper protein intake, cut and stop fucking around in the gym
Im not shittalking you when I say this but you look like you never touched a weight in your life i.e average

>lifting for years
>not builtfat
>just really fat

hahaha this is the kind of nigga that says SS is shit

started with a 4 day split doing 3x3-5 heavy compounds followed by 3x8 dumbell complementary lifts (so bench 3x3 followed by dumbell incline 3x8, etc). did that for 3 months then did two cycles of 5/3/1 BBB skipping the deload week. So 6 weeks on BBB, felt like i could do more volume.

maxes as of last weekend were OHP 135x1, bench 215x1, squat 295x2 but i feel like i can hit 315 on that, then deadlifts 365x5 and i'm also pretty sure i can hit 405 on that. so yeah, part calculator part actual lifts but i feel like i'm in the ballpark on that. taking my 90%TM from the rounded down calculator worked when i was doing the 5/3/1 BBB program, was able to hit my lifts as i went along.

was also able to hit all my lifts on the nsuns lp program so far just the volume seemed way up there from what i've been doing.

Im thinking its the picture, i dont know how to pose really. Used to be 300+ Ive been cutting hard with adequate protein.

I wasn't claiming I wasn't fat

Whad do you think of a push pull routine that goes like PPxPPxPPx and so on. Quads on push days hams on pull days. Calves whenever

I do PPL

Yeah, the only modification that jumped to mind was to add more for the butt and legs. Lunges or something. Thought it would be good to ask regardless.

When doing rows, do I have to make the bar touch my chest for it to count? If I cant make it touch my chest should I lower the weight?

I’m new to bulking/cutting. I’ve been bulking since December. How much longer should I keep at it, and when should I start cutting if I’m trying to look “ripped” by the time the warm weather returns?

I'm probably above 20% bf, am 168 lbs (manlet). How much protein would I need if I am cutting?

How the fuck do you lift with a chronic illness?

desu i still count it if it comes close but doesnt hit me, that's the main problem with rows they're too easy to cheat, but honestly unless you cant get the bar anywhere near yourself then lower the weight but dont brag about how much you row cause you know you're kinda cheating but imo it's better to keep going if it's coming very close but not hitting you're losing like 2% ROM

say you row 80kg then go back to 60 i'm sure you could get it to touch your sternum even though you couldnt before, better just work up

also needs to touch bottom of ribs/lower chest not actual chest

goal weight around 150 so eat 150

>chronic ilness
>allowed outside the hospital
depends on what you have and whether it affects your ability to recover or have high heart rate/bp

Just do your best. I'm permanently disabled and I just try to work as hard as possible as much as possible. Sure, I'm not making progress as fast a regular guy, and I often have to skip work outs because of my health but at least I try. So what it takes me years to reach my goal

Lupus, which absolutely blasts my ass with fatigue and joint pain. No real limits on heart rate or anything so I figure this is the best answer. Thanks, bud.

Yeah, same. I'm prepared to have the progress slow down to a halt but I'm definitely not ready to fully stop at all either. Slower is better than none at all.

My goal weight is around 135 - 140, should I still aim for 150g protein or 135?

it's better to overeat protein than to under eat

even more so for cutting and

Anyone have suggestions for good endurance/strength routines? About to finish firefighter school and just getting bored of doing 5x5 for everything. Already do high intensity cardio. Looking for a lifting routine to help me stay strong and useful for long periods of time.

I'm at 23% body fat 225 lbs. Is getting to 12-10% bf by April a possible goal for me? Currently at a 600 cal deficit. Should I stay the course or should I lower my intake?
135/205/365/405 are my lifts when I wasn't cutting.

copying this from the other thread

My chin-ups aren't progressing. What do. I've been stuck at

1x5
1x4
Negatives

for like 2 months.

Is it bad to do farmer walks, but stationary? Just holding the weight without walking. Place got renovated and fucked up my path.

Not bad, just retarded.
You're getting mostly a static grip workout with a bit of core, so not really worth the time.

Ok I got a ton of questions bear with me..

Is it better to put more weight and do less reps or less weight with more reps
Better to have cold shower or hot shower after workout
The space between my index finger and my thumb hurts when i do some exercises am i holding wrong or should i just buy gloves

why not just use the barbell?

this exercise already exists so you should probably just do that instead

Depends on what you want and how much you're lifting.
Does not matter
You're positioning your hands wrong

Completely impossible goal. At your weight you aren't fat enough to burn weight crazy fast (2+ lbs/week), but aren't skinny enough to have a short turnaround. You'll burn a bit over a pound per week, which means by this time come April you'll have burned just over 12 lbs.

You didn't get to 225 lbs in 3 months, don't think you'll undo it in that time.

You only need 0.82g/lb of protein. Ever. Period. There's no "you need more protein for cutting" or whatever.

Just do the math. How much are you planning to cut? When do you want to be skinny? How much are you planning on dropping a week?

please stop posting

For a few weeks now i go to do squats and as i go down my knee on one leg hurts, like some sharp pain but not too much, what can i do and what the fuck is going on? Its there only on some days as well and not others

After one cycle of 5/3/1 do I add weight to my training maxes and recalc or just add weight to all my individual sets?

Sounds like a standard injury. Stop putting pressure on it and stay away from any exercise that bothers it for a week or so.

Also may want to check your form if you're new to lifting.

I drank a bunch of alcohol last night and got drunk. I don't usually drink but my friend was in town so we got hammered.

My question is, can I kiss my gains from yesterday goodbye?

yes you will deflate into a pile of fat, all your muscle will disappear

no...noo...NOOOOOOOO MY GAINS AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

youtube.com/watch?v=IYqsWAjvEbI

Can anyone recommend a decent routine? I've just been going to the gym without any real plan for the last month..don't really know what to pick,there is so much stuff (and probably also bad stuff) to choose from

Do SS. Read the sticky.

Coolcicada PPL or ICF

a whole month of SS could've got you 30-40kg on all your wimpy lifts

Thanks man, god fuckin damn it sucks

Is ICF actually legit? Coolcicada sounds pretty basic (not in a negative way)

SL/SS

look up greasing the groove

Sometimes after a hard set I will start coughing a bunch should I be worried?