/fast/ #83

>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>WATCH THIS BEFORE ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS
youtu.be/APZCfmgzoS0
>WHY SHOULD I FAST?
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/

>Weight loss
>Better skin
>Autophagy

>WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY?
It's when your body takes apart useless, shitty cells. (Cancer cells, cells with broken protein, acne, loose skin, etc)
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-mtor-autophagy-1/

>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
>take around 4700 mg of potassium per day (THESE ARE MAXIMUM RECOMMENDED VALUES. YOU MAY CONSUME WAY LESS THAN THAT)
>2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day (THESE ARE MAXIMUM RECOMMENDED VALUES. YOU MAY CONSUME WAY LESS THAN THAT)
>MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated.

>HERES WHY YOU ARENT ACTUALLY HUNGRY IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 8% BODYFAT
youtube.com/watch?v=dFT2IKmwyfg

>WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!-- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.

>WONT I GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND DIE?!
You don't have the willpower to fast to death. Now look down. See that large bulbous gut? That's food. Thousands and thousands of calories stored and ready to be consumed by your body.

>WONT I LOSE MUSCLE?
This is the coolest part about fasting. Your body remains very anabolic when you fast.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
"Our results suggest that a fasting program in conjunction with resistance training can decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

>Sugar is more addictive than coke

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dFT2IKmwyfg&t=1s
youtube.com/watch?v=Dan8qtgQRi8
youtube.com/watch?v=zcMBm-UVdII
youtube.com/watch?v=-ygExIZm7Wo
youtube.com/watch?v=0bNdhM4vt4I
youtube.com/watch?v=amJ-ev8Ial8
theguardian.com/society/2016/apr/07/the-sugar-conspiracy-robert-lustig-john-yudkin
chickenkitchen.com/pdf/our_menu.pdf
yelp.com/menu/powerfuel-fit-nutrition-hialeah/full-menu
salsafiestagrill.com/menu/mb
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If you look at anything from all this it should be the first video. Might as well link some more of his stuff since it's so fucking good:

more about ketosis and fasting:
youtube.com/watch?v=dFT2IKmwyfg&t=1s
youtube.com/watch?v=Dan8qtgQRi8
youtube.com/watch?v=zcMBm-UVdII

Eat fucking salt:
youtube.com/watch?v=-ygExIZm7Wo
youtube.com/watch?v=0bNdhM4vt4I
youtube.com/watch?v=amJ-ev8Ial8

He also has a nofap video, might as well abstain from that while you're at it.

Thanks for reposting this, it's a general good thread.

Yeah, there's been a lot of good stuff in these threads.

If you're looking to lose fat, and especially if you're in bad condition in the first place, there is literally nothing else to do besides fast in some form. The one compartment CICO model just doesn't work.

If people want to learn more there's a lot out there. I really recommend going through Fung's blog posts on fasting, or just his book. There's also some nice JRE episodes with various PhDs that talk about this, Rhonda Patrick's videos, etc.

There's a lot of info about this out there, and the benefits are numerous.

For some rage check out this article:
theguardian.com/society/2016/apr/07/the-sugar-conspiracy-robert-lustig-john-yudkin

240h in. Ketosis difinitely kicked in. I smell acetone in my breath all the time. Thirst levels have gone up. I'm going until day 12, but if that magical promised state of no hunger arrives, I ight continue past that.

Wait, can this be a temporary thing to just lose weight?

I do not think this would be healthy at all long term, but if I quickly want to lose some weight could I fast until I feel like I've lost enough and then start a healthy diet and exercise from there?

No, you absolutely must stop eating food forever. Don't even think about doing IF or OMAD or any of that pseud shit.

pic related is endgame

How much water should I drink on OMAD to have as little water retention as possible?

Is that person a man or a woman?

>Ketosis
>20% protein diet
That's bullshit, you can have as much protein as you want. Carbs are the only determining factor in achieving ketosis.

Eat a lot of protein and it will start getting converted into glucose, taking you out of keto. Not a bad thing if you want to get bigger.

They're not. Keto is not synonymous with low carb. The reason you need high fat on a keto diet is that high protein/low fat will spur gluconeogenesis and kick you out of ketosis.

would coming off a fast after 3 days and start eating a VLCD "Very Low calorie Diet" such as them quick satchels add water and eat be a way to go ? I have serious stomach issues and solids arent helping, ive even eaten UP'N"GOES for a week it helped but i thought this will be the next step.

What does 5:2! mean?

Also how much (and what) am I supposed to be eating in that 1 to 2 hour window?

5:2 is splitting your week into 2 days of eating and 5 days of fasting, or the other way around (more popularly).

Eat the macros you need? If you're fasting for a lower bf% then you should also be eating ketogenic macros, i.e. low carb.

If i need 2.1k calories a day, how am i supposed to eat that in omad mode?

go eat at mcdonalds

>240h in. Ketosis difinitely kicked in
no shit otherwise you would be dead

can confirm I did 190hrs with no ketosis and i died

ty based user

completed a 7.5 day /snake/ fast,

going to attempt a 48 - 72 hour /dry/ fast, after doing a little bit of SLOWmad

working my way there boys. Eating only 600cal a day and that's all near bedtime so I don't wake up ravenous.

I'm going to make it.

Is IF a good way to start?
I've been doing 16:8 for about 2 weeks and it's pretty breezy so far. The only difference I have found is that a black coffee in the morning REALLY energizes me while fasting.

How are you guys holding up?
I'm finally back after a few weeks of vacation, feels good to feel that "fasting high" again.
2kg to go here, that should be quite easy now.

don't be a pussy, just jump straight into a 48 or 72

does coffee break fast?

is taking a multi during fast days acceptable or not? looking to pick up some lite and pink salt for after the weekend

alright ill try that ive got nothing to do over the weekend anyway. What can i expect to happen?

you will probably get bored because you won't be used to having so much extra time

is that it? no mental effects or anything?

Can I use just salt instead of potassium?

yes

Well shit I'm convinced, I've already started a low calorie diet a few days ago but after that video I'll just try a 3 day fast instead.

Is this why I've not lost as much fat as I would have liked?

> 6'1" Male
> 32
> 308lbs
> Just got fired from my job

I'm a fat fuck and I need to save money, looks like this is a perfect time to give IF a shot.

even black coffee?

it doesnt break anything, google it faggots.
only a couple of fags say it does stop autophagy but no sources indicates that so...

it speeds up autophagy, but the caffeine breaks the fast because it triggers a metabolic response from your body

But what could be the cause of unsatisfactory fat loss?

eating food ever

Just try it for a couple without if you want to know for sure. Experiment and see how your body responds.

Either way, what did you expect to lose / in what period of time?

Well, I lost a lot of weight, but a lot of it was muscle. So it wasn't these tremendous results many have gotten (now I'm basically skinnyfat)

Maybe because I stopped lifting? (injury)

Don't worry about muscle loss too much. You have muscle memory and it will come back quickly when you pick up exercise again.

As far as fat loss goes, are you actually hitting ketosis by fasting long enough (test with ketostix)? What are your refeeds like?

No I never tested whether I was in ketosis or not, longest I did was a 5 day but most of the time I do intermittent or alternate day fasting.

For refeeds I just eat whatever, but I kept it low carb.

daily fast post

for what?
there are no pictures,no graphs nothing
you add nothing to this thread

>take around 4700 mg of potassium per day (THESE ARE MAXIMUM RECOMMENDED VALUES. YOU MAY CONSUME WAY LESS THAN THAT)
>2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day (THESE ARE MAXIMUM RECOMMENDED VALUES. YOU MAY CONSUME WAY LESS THAN THAT)
>MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated.

Is that all? Just have around that much of each, just seems like I'd need more of something else at least. Like a certain multi-vitamin or at least this much of another mineral.

>breaks the fast because it triggers a metabolic response from your body
Good luck finding a source for that, rhonda patrick faggot.

Heh..cute thread...kid

>308

fuck IF go straight for 14 days

Kek

Get it?
Cause he goes FAST!?
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Just fucking kill yourself

finished my first ever fast (7 days) a few days ago and im going to begin another on monday. in the interim im just eating only when i feel hungry (crazy concept i know) and it fucking sucks. eat like once a day and not even that much. this is barely better than fasting. can't wait for monday

Woah, guess fasting is a good time.

If you're willing to stop eating for days but you can't give up coffee you should consider treating your caffeine addiction

Nah, pal! I have too much to live for!

Yes, definitely. It's really just a way to alleviate boredom at work and kind of a social crutch.

what do you mean user? Maybe you should lower your expectations a bit, you wont have six pack after fasting a few days.

No what I mean is that I lost way more muscle than most of the people in the success stories do.

I did stop lifting though.

Just remember that if you're fasting for more than a day you WILL look smaller and flat because your muscles are "empty" without any glycogen.
Also, I don't want to be that guy but... maybe you didnt have that much muscle in the first place?

I had a 250kg squat

Okay and how much did the weights weigh?

lmao1pl8

Do you guys talk about IF here or just multi day fasts?

Talk about whatever you want boyo.
or lurk.

drinking coffee = smoking

Of course! Tis the fast thread after all.

boosts test.

>boosts test.
cope harder, you're an addict

ok estronaught.

What the fuck you liars I'm on day 9 of my water fast and my weight hasnt changed since day 4. Fuck you.

Cheers. I've been doing IF 16:8 for a while and my problem is after I eat lunch, even if low carb, I get extremely hungry.

I've fasted for 3 days and seemingly gained 4 lbs

how much salt/fiber/protein do you get in your lunch?
I've noticed that I feel more satiated when I get plenty of those.

Also you might just still be in the hormonal pattern of being hungry everyday at X o'clock
which people here tend to combat with longer fasts

reminder to never fast considering all posted results are pure dogshit

what it means when i feel like a fat devil is sitting in my chest?

it is just farts, right?

it mean what you is a nigger
desuseunpatachi

>these videos
So what,next time i'm cutting i should just go ahead and eat nothing for weeks on end ?
I really don't get how lowering calories is worse than suppressing them altogether

Depends on the day. I order in from a chicken place usually because at work. It ends up being chicken, brown rice, beans, and they salt it to fuck. I was thinking the rice was doing it but I eat more of the chicken than the rice. Then I normally finish it off with some almonds for the fat. Maybe too little fat? Should I add cheese? It adds calories so I always hesitate.

I think I do have a bit of a hormonal pattern. My gf is nearly anorexic and while I worry for her a lot, I'm so impressed how she just stays hungry and doesn't eat. I buckle so easy.

keeps your stomach on instead of living from your fat
that keeps you hungry

rice AND beans sounds like heka carbs to me boyo

Same here, starting to think fasting is nothing but natural selection

I'm so limited as to what I can eat at lunch because my mickey mouse office doesn't have a proper kitchen.

I can order Chicken Kitchen, which you can get no carb but it comes cold and soggy, the rice seems to help hold the eat in travel. I get an original chop chop: chickenkitchen.com/pdf/our_menu.pdf

PowerFit Nutrition:
yelp.com/menu/powerfuel-fit-nutrition-hialeah/full-menu
There a normally get the PowerWrap.

Then I have this Mexican place:
salsafiestagrill.com/menu/mb

I donno what to do. That's about it.

fast longer
skip lunch too.

personally, i've lost like 4 kg in 2 weeks
maybe you guys should try doing keto+omad to get your body more adapted to fasting
it's what i did

I can't. I work in a family business and pretty sure I'm already on the radar for being too thin. I do OMAD when no one is there but me.

11 days in here. Just weighed myself and I lost around 7 to 8 kg.

Water weight, if you're drinking a ton of water on a water fast it's going to weigh a few pounds.

>I can't. I work in a family business and pretty sure I'm already on the radar for being too thin

Well I'm 5' 6" and 117lbs.

My dad got that same surgery the YouTube guy got like five years ago. He lost a ton of weight but he's been putting it back on slowly. I think eventually they stretch the stomach out.

>Well I'm 5' 6" and 117lbs.
boy or girl

I do omad, eating dinner.
But I work out first thing in the morn ~6 am

is this hurting my progress in muscle gain? I don't mind not gaining muscle while I cut all the fat out, but if it's possible I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

I used to have some sympathy for the fat fucks of the world but this is just too much. I’m naturally skinny and I’ve researched everything I could possibly do to gain weight and muscle and in the end my only options are to damage my body with sterioids or eat so much I almost puke and work my ass in the gym and never stop. You guys literally can fast for a month and drop all your weight like a fucking wizard just came by a fixed the problem and not only that but it’s healthy as fuck to the point where it’s probably one of the healthiest things you can do and I can reduce your chance of cancer by 50%! Fast for a month and get on a low calorie diet which won’t feel bad at all considering you just fasted for a month so at that point it shouldn’t even effect you and just live your life and be happy while I’ll be working my ass in the gym and spending money on tons of food that I don’t even want to eat because I’m so full all the damn time. I hope all you fat fucks that complain about your situation get heart failure because anybody willing to spend more than three minutes researching how to lose weight should find out about fasting and just hasn’t done it yet.

>reee i'm a gunhrt skeletyon erwreeeeee
make a hungry skeleton thread then faggot.

>getting extreme surgery that cuts out your stomach so that you can't eat
>dealing with all that pain
>eating habits and relationship with food remain unchanged
>gaining it all back because you didn't fix the underlying issue
If you're at the point at which you're considering cutting out most of your stomach, why not try not fucking eating for a few days, fucking hell.

You shouldn’t even exist you fat fuck. Your problem is easy to solve. If you actually cared you wouldn’t be fat anymore.

your problem is even easier to solve
>REEEEEEE EATING HARD
no you're just a pussy bitch.

It's just as easy for both of you. For one it's just eat less and for the other it's just eat more. Youre no special snowflake.