Form Check Thread

Starting strength beginner here looking for help with my low bar squat form.

This was from my 3rd work set so the last 2 reps were a little rough for me.
One problem I am having is I feel like my upper body slumps over. I have heard Rippetoe say to think of sticking out your chest when doing low bar squat but that feels almost impossible for me, I'm not sure if it looks that way in video.

youtu.be/OeHJ6IISDEs

Feel free to post your own form related questions here as well I guess.

Other urls found in this thread:

startingstrength.com/training/identifying-and-correcting-thoracic-spinal-flexion-in-the-squat
youtube.com/watch?v=QhVC_AnZYYM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I just came twice to this video

Don't lock your knees at the end of the rep so quickly.

Glad you enjoyed it

looks good to me but Ive injured my knee multiple times while squatting so dont listen to just me

Your back is missing spinal extension, and you need to keep your chest up. That should get you into the right position, also get a belt. Watch Jordan fiegenbaum Slater’s video.

Thanks for the advice. That's something I've never heard in "how to squat" videos but it does look a bit faster than what I've seen. I guess it just feels good to lock out and take a breath at the top so I rush into it.

Thanks, yeah I want to get my form proper at the start to not develop any bad habits that will be hard to shake later and lead to injury on heavier lifts.

Not OP,but a question regarding squats

I watched Layne Norton's video. He said "move your hips forward". I watched Ripples video. He said "you just did the worst thing in the world. You moved your hips forward. HIP DRAHVE, your nipples must point to the floor".

What is the right way?

Two different styles. The main reason to do low bar rips style is to make use of hip drive. Idk about your explanation tho but it’s confusing.

Yes my upperbody feels weak when squatting. I'll read this article related to what you're saying. Thanks brother.

startingstrength.com/training/identifying-and-correcting-thoracic-spinal-flexion-in-the-squat

Also were you referring to Jordan's most recent video about belts? Don't want to be the DYEL wearing belts because I've heard in the past they aren't necessary unless you're lifting heavy but I'll give the video a watch.

>1.5 pl8
Lift some real weight first
Doesn't look bad desu though

You're trying to stand up straight, don't do that.
You want to stay bent over so that your lower chain is tight, keep your back straight, but slightly bent over how it is at the bottom of the rep. Then press up imagining that you're trying to press your lower back towards the ceiling, keeping your hips back.

He’s a beginner, user. Let him learn and get it first, then move up.

Sorry. If you have time he explains it in this video
youtube.com/watch?v=QhVC_AnZYYM
It's about the allignment of the spine,since people try to have a "vertical" back when they are squatting

Which style is "better" though,or does it come down to personal preference?

You look happy, keep smiling bro

doesn't look too bad for me. i feel like you have too much head movement for my taste. you seem to exaggerate putting your head down when really your head should be tilted down just slightly as if you're holding a tennis ball to your chest with your chin. keep your eyes on the ground, don't lift the head. it'll keep your balance in check. last 2 reps seemed a bit too high to be parallel. those shoes don't look like they're fun to squat with, but that's just me. not bad, user. master your ass and drive your hips up.

LOWER FAGGOT
ASS TO GRASS
GLUTES FOR THE SLOOTS

As ignorant as this guy is, he's actually right
Go lower, ideally you want your hamstrings to touch the top of your calfs, it's tough but it will save you from injury and over the long run increase your max lift. If you keep up good squatting for for 6-8 months you'll probably be at 225lbs for working sets of 8.
If I were you I'd also get a belt. It'll save your back

Your elbows are flaring out meaning your upper back isn't tight enough, contributing to the feelng of slumping over.

Refer to Candito's how to squat video on this issue

So, is a belt mandatory if you're exclusively doing high bar squats?

Other way around.
High Bar = less lower back involvement
Low Bar = more lower back

I’m a ss fag, so I’d say follow Rip

You don’t want to be completely horizontal, but nipple pointed at the floor is a good cue, just follow Rip.

:)

I think the head movement has something to do with my upper body feeling sort of flat. I try to look 6-8 ft in front but yeah watching this it's not there.
And yeah just using flat vans for now because I also do deadlifts on the same day and want flat shoes for that.

I could probably go one or two inches deeper but I know Rippetoe doesn't promote ATG squats.

Seems to be the consensus, thanks chief.

You need more thoracic stability.
Narrow your grip down, use thumbs over bar grip if necessary, retract scapula, tuck your chin, straighten your neck. Eyes aligned with nipples

So are belts necessary or unnecessary for high bar squats?

The belt helps keep the spine in a secure position by method of core compression. So....up to you

Necessity is such a personal term for this thing. But you see a lot of elite level high bar squatters not using belts and with low bar there's very few who don't use belts.
Try it out for yourself, it doesn't hurt to try.

Your back is limp as a noodle. It should be steel.

Related to this: you're not supposed to round your upper back in order to rest the bar there.

well look at his upper body. he doesn't have much meat on it, but if he eats enough he'll get there. probably why he feels "flat"

>lift some real weight first

Oh i suppse you were shit out of your mums womb squatting lmao 3pl8? The guys clearly starting the path now, so dont get your tiny cock off thinking youre more elite than him because you started before him. Have humility.

OP I think you came to the wrong place for advice. 90% of Veeky Forums hasn't read SS at all, and of those who have, the majority of them have a tenuous grasp of the Squat model. Go to the SS forum if you want someone to look at your form. Just glancing quickly, I notice:
>you lead with your chest out of the hole instead of staying in your hips
>the direction of your gaze wanders throughout the set
>the bar path strays out over your toes
>your depth is suspect, the last one was most definitely high

Your form isn't god awful, and some anons have correctly identified a few issues. But you're better off not listening to Veeky Forums on form advice when most people on here haven't lifted for any significant amount of time. Get some proper lifting shoes and look elsewhere for advice. Try the SS board, where an actual SS Coach can give you some pointers.

Go heavy then squat properly, good thinking dumbcunt

OP here, thanks for the general advice I really appreciate it. You're probably right about joining the SS forum but I enjoy parts of the anonymity of Veeky Forums. I'll check it out.
I feel like everything you've critiqued about my form is solid advice as well, thanks again mate.

yea fuck off faggot

>another twig man doing SS

ugh, just pls do some curls

you don't need massive striatred quads and dainty little twig arms, looks retarded

>low bar

This. Put more focus on upper body lifts instead of squats.

If only you can put th same amount of effort you just did to perfect your upper body movements

Get right down to the floor, faggot.

Move the safety bars up. No point in crushing your spine if you fail on a rep