Intimidated by gym

I'm a 24 year old guy and I want to get into the habit of working out. I have access to a rec center but I have a hard time figuring out what to do. I'm overwhelmed by the amount of people and equipment. I don't know where to begin and am afraid of looking like a fool. How do I become comfortable going to work out? My goal is to be healthy as health issues run in the family. I'm 6'4" and about 160lbs

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_Schwarzenegger
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25198208
detroit.cbslocal.com/2017/10/17/white-men-who-exercise-too-much-at-higher-risk-of-death-according-to-study/
mayoclinicproceedings.org/article/S0025-6196(17)30577-3/fulltext
today.uic.edu/physically-active-white-men-at-high-risk-for-plaque-buildup-in-arteries
youtube.com/watch?v=gFQpxAKx_ds
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>6'4"
>160 lbs

You started exactly as I did.

EAT AND STRENGTH TRAINING

another one of these threads?

no one, no one, literally fucking NO ONE in the gym cares about you or even notices you. they are busy with their own shit. there is absolutely nothing to be concerned about, and if you make a foolish mistake people will be more than happy to help you out.

You think you had it bad? I was a 380 pounds fat as fatass when i waddled into the gym and sat my ass down on the bike, and I still go almost every day. PEOPLE DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU!!!! so please stop being a faggot, read the sticky and go to the gym. thanks.

buy some sticky notes and stare at them for an hour

>health issues run in the family
>I'm 6'4" and about 160lbs
is on of them malnutrition??

read the sticky, pick a routine and go do it. other than that, just stop being a pussy

get a home gym

people there ARE judging you

Good. If you're doing something that you're afraid of that means you're growing as a person.

Read the sticky if you don't know what to do. Stop caring about what other people think of you.

if they give you shit you can actually get them banned from the gym

if they don't then who gives a fuck? you have to be extremely insecure to be intimidated by other people's thoughts

>people there ARE judging you

This is true
>see fatties and skellies working out in the gym
>judge them positively for making an effort

Go to a gym to improve yourself - fear of judgement
Waddle into McDonalds to stuff your face - no fear of judgement whatsoever
Really makes you think.

If you are a white guy, don't bother going to the gym as it has recently been discovered that if you exercise and are white it will lead to a shortened life-expectancy due to poor genetics, heart disease and the weight-load will likely be too much for you. You would be better off working out your nutrition and make sure you are not eating in excess and are getting all your vital vitamins, especially if you have familial history of disease. Perhaps practice yoga or other light-intensity exercise if you simply must do some form of work.

If you care about what other people think about you then your self confiendce is weak. Fix your damn posture and work on yourself.

>Be newbie in gym just like you
>Only two people there
>One is an old man with white thinning hair
>He's busting out 60lb dumbell lifts
>Going to full failure and sweating like a mofo
>Arms would make hogan proud

Motivating AF

I'm just telling him the scientific facts before he rushes in to a gym thinking he's Ronnie Coleman. This should be good news for you too as now you have an excuse to not do exercise, there's no shame in it, you simply evolved a different way to African men: who required musculature and physicality in the harsh Congo, fighting the deadliest animals on the planet. Your ancestors did light-exercise, picking berries and the like so it follows that you should do something like pilates, yoga, any other kind of work-out; just not muscle-building ones.

Then why is little Iceland, a country of under 1 million people, in 2nd place for the amount of winners in World's Strongest Man? Why are the world record bench, squat, and deadlift held by white men? Why is the most famous bodybuilder white?

Absolute destruction

Do you see those men living to ripe, old ages?Rarely. It is a recent cultural phenomenon in Iceland. Iceland is also notable for it's extreme numbers in anti-depressant and drug-use, as well as transgenders and homosexuals; so it is not a country to boast too much about. Record numbers are a different story, of course there is genetic anomalies- especially in white people who have many mutations. Regardless, there is a number of other reasons that black people are not in these record-books, perhaps from racism? Perhaps black people do not want their record to be known? Perhaps we don't even care if we beat an arbitrary record for recognition. Arnold was pushed because of skin-color, if you remember the period; racism was rife and people stuck their noses up to black men and they would barely be hired by any industry. So don't be ridiculous.

>Racism racism racism !1111

you're pathetic

This is only if you eat stupid, if you're on a whole-food plant-based diet you become immune to hearth disease.

You could be paid good money with your high level mental gymnastics.

I wouldn't say immune, but the chances are very low.

>Perhaps black people do not want their record to be known?
Blacks... not wanting to boast about thing stuff better as the evil white man. kek

I don't wear my glasses in the gym so I literally will not remember anyone unless they are standing directly in front of me.

Fuck off vegan shit poster.
Cholesterol and fat does not cause heart disease.

And YOU are laughable. Are you honestly playing ignorant to the facts of the time? And even up to nowadays? Go back to spouting your disgusting diatribes elsewhere.

Well it is still extremely risky! That is like saying it is better to get in a car crash with an airbag versus getting in to a crash without one! Perhaps just avoid the whole crash entirely!

How am I the one playing mental gymnastics? I'm the one actually bringing facts to back up what I am saying, not just shooting off at the mouth hoping that something will stick.

Well it is true, we don't really care about getting a silly record in a silly book for old, white men.

Kek. Daily Mail is your source?

Nigger

This is hands down, the dumbest thing I've ever read.

>people actually believe this

Nice pseudoscience
>Well it is still extremely risky!
Link me the study, I'm interested how risky it actually is.

Anyone exercising 7.5 hours or more a week is going to be into same crazy shit. No one can fit that kind of time into their schedule while working (which means black men are excluded) full time unless they are doing some seriously fucked up shit or are professional athletes.

>Do you see those men living to ripe, old ages?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_Schwarzenegger
And we *know* Arnold roided.

Obviously no one wants to respond now that I rebuked them, I just hope you all put a little bit of research in to why exercise if you are a white man is actually damaging to your longevity, there is plenty of information out there. As I said before, don't be embarrassed to not perhaps be very physical, there is no shame; it is simply the way Caucasoid evolved.

They reported the study. There is plenty of other sources and scientific evidence out there if you want to look!

It doesn't hurt me when you call me that, you know? Am I expected to break down in to tears and cry? You just further my point that you have no evidence or factual information to back up your arguments, resorting to name-calling me. In the end I win, man.

You may not like what you hear, but that doesn't make it any less true. I'm sorry if this facts has hurt you in anyway, but I want you to know the truth before following everyone jumping off the bridge. It is completely fine to recognize this and realize how beneficial it will be to you in the long-term.

>I'm overwhelmed by the amount of people and equipment.
90% of the equipment is horse shit. Dumbbells and barbells cover 80% of your needs. Just jump on some beginner program like SS.

Because it's true
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25198208

this

Is this the "made for BBC" guy trying out his new meme format?

>insecure nigger posting
This is why I still come here after making it tbqhwu

I can't find the actual study link, so here is a reporting of it:
detroit.cbslocal.com/2017/10/17/white-men-who-exercise-too-much-at-higher-risk-of-death-according-to-study/

I mentioned before there is genetic anomalies, especially in whites due to all their mutations. Still look at him now and he has had heart surgery, he is in terrible shape, he is like Robert Paulson from Fight Club, man!

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about, dude.

>new friend gym thread derailed by some BBC worshiper
Great.

What intruiged you so much about this article that you thought it was worth posting here and defending to this extend?

Not tying to start a fight, just curious what you´re getting out of this

I was literally giving him advice, bro... I'm not lying when I say I have the best of intentions when I try to help guys out. I don't want to feel responsible for the cutting short of a life simply because I was too lazy to give him a reply, I'm a God-fearing man and I hope to help people, even if I get called names for it.

Read the above comment, please, thank you!

>I can't find the actual study link, so here is a reporting of it
I hate when they do this, it's an absolute disgrace that mainstream news sites don't mention their sources, how is it even allowed?
Anyway after some googling(I am a pro) I found the source:

>Read the above comment, please, thank you!
>some BBC worshiper
Makes sense, thanks.

if you have the best intentions you'd have no problem using a trip so I can filter you right?

Bruh I average like 12 hours a week before cardio and stretching and shit.

>beat me to it
>don't bother going to the gym
>"it does not suggest that anyone should stop exercising"
>it will lead to a shortened life-expectancy
>“High levels of exercise over time may cause stress on the arteries leading to higher CAC,” said Rana, “however this plaque buildup may well be of the more stable kind, and thus less likely to rupture and causes heart attack, which was not evaluated in this study.” Rana says they plan to evaluate for outcomes, such as heart attacks and death, next.
Better article: today.uic.edu/physically-active-white-men-at-high-risk-for-plaque-buildup-in-arteries
Study results: mayoclinicproceedings.org/article/S0025-6196(17)30577-3/fulltext
Fuck off nigger lover.

Do you have a job?

Thank you, friend! I really appreciate that you took the time to do this! I looked through quite a few sites and there was zero mention of a link, so I am extremely thankful that you managed to get it!

Haha! No thank you, friend! Does my posts really upset you to the point you want to filter me? Please don't worry yourself! I'm trying to help!

you're posts don't bother me, it's just an easy way to tell if you want to help people or if you're just race baiting, now I know not to give you any more yous

Ask. Veeky Forums is a bad example for anything, but the mindset isnt too different from actual gym-goers. People want to share their routine, their tips, what they learned and what you can try. Just find a person who looks like they know what they're doing and ask them for a place to start.

How much progress have made?

Yes. Typically I'm there by 1 AM, get out by 9 AM, go home and play vidya for a few hours then lift for a few hours. I just also rent out my mom's basement and have no social life or major responsibilities taking up my time.

just don't go in there doing meme exercises like curls and lateral raises. squat bench deadlift ohp and row and you're gonna make it

Looking through the study, the group that exercises more than the physical activity guidelines is just 8.4% of the participants. Too bad I don't have access to the whole study to look more at the details but from what I can see I wouldn't say this study is conclusive, but it's definitely interesting.
I think that a good nutrition and just a regular amount of exercise does more good than harm.

I suggested that they do light-intensity workout, in this you would not need to go to the gym, it would be a waste of money and travelling.
They have not done extensive research on the death aspect yet, so you suggest people workout regardless? I think that you all should wait for the future papers on the topic, to ensure what you are doing is not literally killing you.

Obviously, this faggot is just being obtuse.

Killing myself while pursuing greatness still sounds better than just wasting away in mediocrity

Some people want to actually live and not just survive you know

It´s still an interesting thread though, kinda brings up the question " how far are you willing to go" in ones head regardless off weather or not the study is bs. So thanks for posting it anyway

WHYTE BOIS BTFO!

Find some cookie-cutter PPL regimen and look up video tutorials for every exercise, then stick with it. Most important thing is to research and be busy with it, knowledge builds over time. Look for complementary exercises online (no memeshit) and try to actively get a feeling for how and what muscles are engaged when.

>trying to explain the human condition to a nigger

Just man up and go. A 24 year old male should not be intimidated by the gym. Try laying off the soy products

Shut it down!

Except the study only found problems associated with *time* spent exercising, not type, you colossal faggot.

Someone's just mad you can't use EBT to purchase a gym membership. You've got welfare to collect and children to neglect, quit wasting your time with us genetically inferior wite bois

Does it make you feel like a big man to pick on colored folks? You would get smashed the fuck out if you said half the shit you spout online in the ghetto, boy.

Why the fuck would I want to go to the ghetto when I'm capable of holding down an actual and supporting myself without leeching off others?

Go to any gym at 9pm - 4am if you're being such a little bitch.
At those times it is inhabited only by bigguys4u who won't talk to you but will give you sound advice if you need.

youtube.com/watch?v=gFQpxAKx_ds

go to planet fitnes, OP

At 6'4 and 160 lbs you're not fat obviously.

So go. Being super skinny is barely an issue. The fact that you're in there bettering yourself is good on its own. Just watch form videos, ask for some advice if you see someone who looks open to giving it and know what you're doing.

If you simply read the sticky and teach yourself the basics its fine. Hell, even if you do some dumb shit it doesn't matter. Nobody pays attention to other people working out unless they're A) a hot girl B) a legit powerlifter C) completely fucking retarded snap-city tier.

holy shit this thread was a wild ride

I judge a fatty at Maccas more hardly than a fatty at the gym. Seriously up, just get a basic full body routine and go for it.

>no one, no one, literally fucking NO ONE in the gym cares about you or even notices you

then why does Veeky Forums have daily "that guy at your gym" threads that hit the post limit? especially where they make fun of people wearing basketball shorts?

To troll other Veeky Forumsizens

>biggest man at gym always crop dusts people on the benches
someone stop this menace

Do sl5x5 until you plateau and then move onto a bro split

Get over yourself. Nobody cares about you. Harden the fuck up.

I'm 23 6'3 135 pounds is something wrong with me, will I ever gain weight?

this desu

Curls and lat raises are not memes you fag. Accessories sure, but the best accessories you can do.

insecurities

Just start with tris, bis and bench kid, tri just smash skulls crushers with an easy curl, bis curl dumbells and use the easy curl, and bench son.

Yeah but clueless normies will walk into the gym, spend the entire time doing curls and lat raises, and end up giving up (either because of forearm pain, shoulder pain, or lack of results).

>asking for a spot lifting

Do what you must to get stronger.

>intimidated by gym
24 y/o girl more like

you'd be more haunted if you had let this stop you from going to the gym, friend

>African men: who required musculature and physicality in the harsh Congo, fighting the deadliest animals on the planet
are you literally retarded
niggers evolved to catch falling bananas from the banana trees, they didn't even have to climb them

Why would he go to a ghetto if he isn't a nigger? Why would he talk to a nigger at all?

That's the funny thing with you niggers. If someone calls you a monkey you respond by acting like a damn monkey. Thus proving them right. Get your head in the game.

I can't even do a plate
And I goddamn well should be able to do a fucking plate at the size I am.
I'm trying to fix it, and taking it more seriously than I ever have. but fuck. feels bad.

thats not true

i laugh at skinny and fat people. it helps with my self esteem and improves my workout because lmao shit like that is funny af

yeah i notice and yeah im laughing

That's actually a racist meme by nu-Veeky Forums, stormfront clowns because "Hurr, le black people like basketball! Hurr!". It's basically just code for not liking the black guys at your gym because you are an insecure, country idiot, white trash.

Holy shit Niggerscience is even worse than bro science.

Ah, so that's why you made the thread. To post this bait again.

as long as they keep it to themselves there is no problem
also the gym doesn't want to lose any customer, so bullies get banned

Quoting a scientific study because you found it's conclusions unfavorable is apparently "Niggerscience"? You realize how stupid you are? Are you afraid of your own shadow because it is black too? Do you get a cold sweat whenever you see a black dude walking down the street? Pathetic. The epitome of a white, estrogenic, cuck.