Veeky Forums

Veeky Forums

I'm bored af on my rest days and after gym and I need a new hobby.

I'm 23, would I be mad to go and buy a piano this weekend and start learning? How hard is it to learn, what can I expect?

Thanks guys I love you all

Hi. Just saw a very good post on how to start on /r/piano.

You're never too old to start learning music. Go for it. I play guitar and it is very relaxing

Why do you want to learn the piano?

I need a new hobby that's all. always been interested in taking it up

I bought a 3d printer, i do have a few years of experience with 3d modeling in 3ds max/zbrush. Rrqlly fun on my rest days to continue with a project.

I am so sorry OP. You've probably seen a ton of advice on the Internet saying you have to find a piano teacher if you ever want to get decent and they might be right. If it helps, a random user talked about learning arpeggios from a book and doing alright anyway.

What kind of shit do you make? How much is a good 3d printer for home? What resources/software would you recommend for an absolute beginner?

You'd be a bit mad but stranger things have happened. Picking up an instrument is NOT an easy task, and it will take you a long time before you start feeling confident. It's not impossible, many people start at your age and later and love it to bits. Piano really is fucking awesome, and I do encourage you to pick it up if you really want to. I just want to let you know that it will take time before you are any good.

My advice is get a cheap keyboard for like 50 quid and see how you like it. No point dropping a few hundred if you're not gonna use it. You will progress quicker with a teacher and they will be able to guide you, if you have the money for lessons. There are plenty of books to help you learn how to play, any music store will have some.

Don't let the possibility of a long learning process deter you. Should you decide to learn, you will have it for life, and will likely love every moment of it. Music can change a life and change the world, and all it is is vibrations. Sorry for ramblerino

Nothing wrong with it man, I got a mini-keyboard and I play it all the time.

But I am thinking about getting into photography, I need to get out more so I figure it's a good hobby to get into.

Don't buy a cheap keyboard, they're always shit with unweighted keys and feel like garbage to play. Rent a good one instead.

If you can go loud, I highly recommend a drum kit.
It's tremendous fun because you get your feet involved.
You can even get an electronic kit if noise is an issue but they do kinda suck if you don't get the good ones.

I'm 29, started last year with piano and enjoy it a lot. If you really want, just do it.

Professional keyboard player here. The first month going to be hard. Learning basic piano scales, excercise, chord, and arpeggio would feel boring at first but you'll be very grateful if you don't skip the basics.

OP here

What will make me look more alpha, piano or boxing?

I'm dead serious

boxing

I do both, not sure why you have to chose one or the other?

boxing = cte = harder to learn piano

Boxing is going to affect gains from all the cardio.

>he fell for the meme

kek

Women love piano. I just bought a keyboard a while ago. I already know guitar and I'm naturally talented when it comes to music. I learn quick. It's worth it.

>I'm naturally talented
Fuck you.
>t. talentlet

Boxing is brainlet wojak and piano is feels wojak. You decide
And btw who the fuck gets into fights these days?

I've been self taught since I was a kid, and if I could go back I would have started with lessons. I'm an okay pianist and I can improvise decently, but I'm nowhere near as good as I should be for the amount of time I've been playing. I'd suggest lessons and work on training your ear - being able to accurately play the tunes you hear in your head is pretty cool, and motivates you to play more

yeah that's what I'm thinking

boxing makes you dumb af

both

nah mate, if you're just starting unweighted keys don't matter. It'll be cheaper than renting a decent one for sure

I’m literally in the exact same situation. Thrift shops may have an electric keyboard for cheap. Also don’t get frustrated playing baby songs at 23, we all start somewhere

The Yamaha P-115 or something like that is a really good starting model with weighted keys. There are plenty of good videos on YouTube regarding chord structure and theory so you can start playing along with songs you like to a certain degree. Piano lessons would be very beneficial if you can afford it, but get used to it being frustrating when encountering a hard rhythm. I hope it winds up working out for ya.