/fit

/fit
What do you think of Ido Portal and his school of movement?

Im tired of lifting, i became very stiff and years of bad posture left me a unbalanced body

Im thinking in doing yoga for the flexibility but Im 33 years old, so I dont know if this is a lost cause

What can I do to be more flexible and agile?

Other urls found in this thread:

academic.oup.com/ptj/article/86/12/1641/2805079
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You see the sticky? Click on it and scroll down. You should see a section on Molding Mobility and Starting Stretching. There are also some YouTube videos that demonstrate the exercises. Yoga is mostly memey new-age bullshit, don't bother.

that´s not what im looking for, I want something more like a program, like what this guy does, but I cant find any ebook or video

I think a good place to start is, unironically, Reddit's bodyweightfitness sub-reddit recommended routine as well as daily yoga, stretching and meditation. Definitely start prioritizing ring work and bodyweight stuff instead of barbell training,. So rather than barbell training 4-5 times a week, do 1-3 times a week - you won't lose anything that signfiicant, especially if you run a program like 5/3/1, for example, where do you what lifts you want on 1-3 specific days.

As far as Ido goes, I really like his philosophy and movement based stuff - it's something I wanted to get into for a few years now and plan on doing daily stretching and yoga prior to bed. Barbell training is good but it can't be the be all end all of your training or fitness, because being fit is more than just lifting a heavy weight. People think powerlifting should be the entry point into fitness, squat, bench and deadlift, but one should really master their body, or at least perform some bodyweight maneuvers prior to doing heavy strength work.

If you want a legitimate program, I'm sure you can torrent it online. With bodyweight work, it's so hard to find a structure outline because people want to charge $100 for a full length course like gymnastic bodies, etc. I'd say do your homework from youtube videos and find movements you want to be particularly good at, then attempt them each day, a la grease the groove.

Amazing user!
>People think powerlifting should be the entry point into fitness, squat, bench and deadlift, but one should really master their body, or at least perform some bodyweight maneuvers prior to doing heavy strength work

This is exactly how I feel about now

Thinking in doing ashtanga yoga, which one are you going for?

I haven't decided, ironically. I know what my general routine, outline, and goals will be both with barbell training, conditioning and bodyweight stuff but I haven't looked into styles and stuff.

I am going to use the recommended routine on Reddit but will do it every day, or at minimum, 5 days a week and primarily do skill work such as the L sit and handstand progression because those are important to me, followed up by intensive stretching especially in my hips and back area.

Eventually I'd like to get into ring work as my main movements with barbell having a secondary form of training, because gymnastics and things of that nature fascinate me more personally.

>I think a good place to start is, unironically, Reddi-
dropped

Go play touch butt somewhere else.

I was looking for a thread about this shit, so maybe someone here will be able to answer.

Just did my fourth BJJ workout, and I had to quit halfway through because of back pain. My coach is a physio, and after looking at it he said I have some sort of musculoskeletal imbalance there, on my upper left side. After thinking it through, I think it might be to do with laying on my back when using my computer, with my head turned left to look at the monitor. Imagine the monitor sitting to my left near the bed.

So the question is, how the fuck do I fix this?

its stuff for gay people and old women.
keep lifting and work on mobility by practicing some positions like one legged straight leg deadlift for hamstrings or slav squat for hips or snatch press for shoulders.
stretching is a meme like long distance cardio

>Yoga is mostly memey new-age bullshit
This is true for when it comes to the yoga of your average gym thot. I started doing some meditational yoga and pranayama exercises when I lived in India. It's made me more fit and healthy than anything else I've tried.

Don't think about yoga as a physical exercise routine, think of it as a mental exercise.

Like most movement practices (yoga, Pilates, the Kelly Starrett loose tiger bullshit, Nutritious Movement, MovNat, various DIY gymnastics programs, etc.), the guy spends too much time beating against end of his range of motion.

I much prefer Feldenkrais. It's not a complete movement system as it doesn't involve any assessment or actual mobilization or significant strength work. Alexander Technique and Soma and a few others are similar in that they focus on movement awareness rather than just stability/mobility. Nonetheless the techniques seem reasonably effective:

academic.oup.com/ptj/article/86/12/1641/2805079

Its overpriced new aged marketed nonsense. All this guy teaches is stretches, bodyweight fitness, and some things like cartwheels and handstands and sells that as the esoteric concept of "mastering your body." It appeals to people who dont really know what their goals are and want other people to decide it for them. You can find all of his info on reddit

>muh mysticism

What do you do for back work? I would think dumbbell rows would help with unilateral work in your case. What do you do for stretches? I would say perhaps double your back work and change your posture when you use your computer.

>but Im 33 years old, so I dont know if this is a lost cause

I can tell that youre a retarded faggot loser with an attitude like that.

Depends what's wrong. Physical therapy is mostly somewhere between a crap shoot and wishful thinking. Doing light movements, gently challenging your range of motion, and lots of repetition seem to be the key.

>complaining about mysticism on a hmong rice trading forum that part takes in the ritualization of posts ending in numerical repetitions.

So replace bent over barbell rows with dumbbell rows, and change the computer set up. Sounds like a plan. I'm also looking up physio exercises on youtube. I have my next BJJ session tuesday, I hope if I rest up til then I should be able to roll.

Did you do your 7 minutes of hanging yet?

Stretching is not a meme. If it was, then lifting would be a meme in itself since its a weighted stretch. Stretching is as important as cardio, which should be held above lifting because it aids the movement, health and functionality of the body.

I agree with this. Yoga is important.

With how much his courses are, yeah, I agree. He's charging $1000 for some bullshit you can find online, it's especially over priced since he doesn't even work with you personally.

It's not about mysticism. It's about learning to focus your attention inwards. Learning to understand and control your body. It takes a bit of discipline, but it's worth it in the end.

Check out Wim Hof if you want to get started with pranayama breathing exercises. Ain't a thread of mysticism with that guy.

How's your posture? What's your routine like? And it's funny, I dropped db rows for bb rows and didn't see much carryover to deadlifting until candito brought up he saw increase in his deadlift from db rows. So maybe you can benefit in other areas too.

i have the first 6 weeks of his program but im not going to post the whole thing, way too long and its only a sliver of his whole method

Just upload it online and post a link

for strength work, you want to do 5 sets twice a week for a: quad-dominant squat, hamstring movement, handstand pushup progression, rope climb or one-arm chin progression, front lever progression, planche progression, and l-sit progression. when you can hit 5 sets of 5 or 5 sets of 30 sec, move up to a harder position or weight. in addition, do 2 30-minute handstand practices twice a week, spending most of your beginner time on the wall to perfect your bodyline. include hollow holds as well. do 2 dedicated mobility sessions a week working toward bridge, pancake, pike, overhead mobility, and squat mobility.

strength work is usually done in a upper/lower or straight arm/bent arm/legs format. ultimately you'll be working out like 6 days a week with 2 sessions per day (1 strength, 1 handstand or mobility)

>It's made me more fit and healthy than anything else I've tried
>Don't think about yoga as a physical exercise routine, think of it as a mental exercise
what did he mean by this?

He means get off your high horse

You don't think a focused brain and healthy mental state counts towards health or fitness?

Yoga can be as physically demanding as you want it to be, but that's not the point. The point is forcing your mind to be 100% fixed on perfecting a specific pose or breathing pattern and finding balance within that state.