Skinny Guys Discussion

Why is it so fucking hard Veeky Forums?

I'm a 22 year old, 6ft. and 5in, and 187 lb male. I've been thin my whole life. My brothers are all twigs and my father is also pretty skinny. I'm the only one in my family who has ever tried to change my body, but with hardly any gym experience and proper training, I seem to fail every time I try and gain muscle.

I've never posted on this board before, but I occasionally read threads and I'm really just seeking for some advice. I don't really expect any of you to help, but if there is at least one user out there who has any tips or motivation for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks guys.

Other urls found in this thread:

hellmanns.com/us/en/recipes/parmesan-crusted-chicken-recipe.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Eat more.
Lift more.

stronglifts and seriously track caloric intake

At 6'5" you're essentially a giant so you'd need GIANT proportions of food to gain size. You'd literally need to eat 5000+ calories a day to gain any real size.
I'm tallish too (6'2") and I gained my best size doing full body workouts with a day or two of rest between.
You're naturally big so you need to eat big and that means huge meal preps. I hope you have money.
Cheap foods to consider are dry lentils (don't need to be soaked), white rice, frozen broccoli, and potatoes (sweet is healthiest, red most flavorful)
Eat a little meat if you want but it's expensive as fuck compared to lentils. Lentils protein per dollar is insane....1/4 cup has like 10g protein. That's like 10 cents lol

Testosterone enanthate into glute 500mg per week

there’s a thread like this every day.
PLEASE just read the sticky

My dad is slim even now in his mid 50s. If I don't eat 3 meals a day I will wake up a couple pounds lighter the next day. It's a chore but you have to make eating your hobby, you need to change your relationship with food. Everyone thinks the other side has it easy, eating all day is tedious af.

cont.
Anyway, as far as reps go......the more the better. You are big so therefore have more potential muscle fibers. Anything that isn't a compound lift needs to be high reps.

1.) Read the sticky
2.) Read SS The Book
3.) Do SS
4.) Eat more, it is never enough.

It's true. It seems so simple but you really have to fucking force that protein down your gullet. Buy whey protein (quality doesn't matter since you shouldn't care about calories ATM) and drink that shit at the end of every day. Make sure you plan your meals and don't skip. Eat your veggies and high quality carbs like brown rice and beans too, obviously. Work out harder - if you're failing at the gym you need to research a decent plan or get someone knowledgeable to help you out. You'll feel sick some days from forcing food down your mouth but your stomach will expand and if you are working out hard enough you will want to eat more eventually. I'm 5'11 160 lbs but I was like 145 for awhile and I'm slowly getting there. You can too.

OP here.

1.) Sorry about the sticky thing. I'm just now reading it and its helping a lot.

2.) Thank you for the advice guys. I really do appreciate it. I guess I just wanted to hear some other peoples' opinion.

thanks man. this helps a lot. i don't have a lot money, but what i do have i'm gonna be spending on food

It's seriously mostly about the calories.
I've always been skinny and still am kinda skinny, but I managed to gain ~5kg clean mass in the last half of 2017. It's not much, but it's visible as I've been told and I intend to keep going.
I bet you're one of the "Oh, I eat so much and I don't gain weight, what do I do" guys too, and guess what: Most of us don't actually eat that much, if you keep track of it.
I though my ability to devour 1kg of lasagna in the evening would mean I eat a lot, but it's not that much if you only have one slice of bread, two cups of coffee and water the rest of the day.

Watch your macros, especially protein and continuously increase your caloric intake until you notice you're gaining weight over a longer time. I don't know much about real, proper lifting since I only do weighted calisthenics at home and 3 or 4 times/week cardio heavy krav maga training, but I'm sure there are other guys on here who can help you with that.

I'm 6'2 163lbs. I can't eat much breakfast or lunch because my job requires a lot of walking (about 5 or 6mi a day) and a lot of bending and squating and I'll throw up if I eat too much. I'm around 2200 to 2500 cals a day and 200 protein. Any advice?

Can I compensate cals with D milk when I get home?

why is the homeless guy on the sidewalk bigger body than me? fuck

I'm here to help. I'm 29, same height as you, and spent a lot of time at about 190 lbs.

The most important thing for me was to not get discouraged when my manlet dyel friends could compound way more than me. Remember, your appendages are levers, and the longer the lever, the more work you have to do to lift a weight.

You're 22; you have time. Don't stress. I'll post later if this thread is still up with some routine advice for a tall lanklet.

What this guy said. Get a routine going at the gym. Buy whole wheat bread, big jars of peanut butter, whole milk, and have a couple slices with a lot of spread, and a large glass several times a day as a snack. Also find some good whey that you can stomach, and drink a lot of that with whole milk. I drink 4 scoops of the costco stuff in two shakes almost every day; even on rest days. And remember, those are only your snacks. Eat lots of good, healthy stuff the rest of the day. I usually can only get 2 good meals in a day, but 3 if you can. Cut out ALL soda. It will fill you up, and keep you from getting protein. If you ever stop progressing at the gym, simply EAT MORE, you you can progress.

I'll try and give some advice now on routine, I guess.

Don't reinvent the wheel; there are lots of good programs on /fit. As a tall guy, I really focused pull ups, pull downs (too weak for hypertrophy on pull ups), curls, hammer curls, preacher curls, dips, and tricep pulldowns to get my arm strength to the point where I could progress on bench and OHP. Bench and OHP are the tall mans friend, and also his hardest lifts. For compounds, I bench every workout, and alternate OHP and BO row, and squats and deads. You don't have to do it that way, but it's an example at least. I also go on a 10-20 minute run before the gym. I don't know why, but that really helps me lift harder.

aaaAAAAH
I can't figure out a diet for myself. I'm supposed to hit 3000cal a day, but the main suggested meals like chicken + rice are apparently only 600cal.
What are some easy and quick 900+cal meals? Then I can throw a PB&J sandwich at the end of it.

put mayo and cheese on the chicken. down it with milk.

or just eat more chicken

hellmanns.com/us/en/recipes/parmesan-crusted-chicken-recipe.html

t. fatty

how do I overcome the mental barriers preventing me from eating more? I feel like any time I eat enough to get gains I'm going to get fat and that terrifies me

>25, 5'9" and hover around 130-135 lbs
>always looked like a twig (blame my upbringing a lot for making "emaciated" be my base, i graduated HS at 5'7" 115 lbs and idnt to through puberty until before senior year)
>have a job where i walk a lot (usually like 4-5 miles a day) and also bike 10 miles a day in commute
>know that i dont eat a lot but when i try to force myself to, i either feel sick, get horrible gas or get horrible shits (like when i try to eat oatmeal/smoothies with oats, which are great for calories and protein and fiber)

i also think its funny to see girls who are thin, even petite ones, with the little chub belly while i sit here and cant even see my own abs but my stomach is flat

im 6'1ish and 150lbs
How many calories might I need? I do some basic lifts with dumbbells at home 3x/week and cardio 2x/week and 2 rest days
I usually eat 3 eggs and a bagel w/ creamcheese for breakfast
a granola bar and banana (sometimes 1 or the other) for a snack
a big sandwich with turkey and spinach for lunch, maybe another granola bar with it
protein shake after my workout after work
then dinner of a chicken breast, and some veggies and 2 "servings" or protein pasta stuff

am I severely over or under estimating?

I'm 23 6'3 135 pounds normie diet
Is something wrong with me? I swear I don't starve myself

holy fuck and I thought I was skinny

lift heavy things, and start eating like 2x as much

You dont get fat in 1 day fucking retard, if yoy notice a lil chub just cut it down

are you me?
t. 6'4", 180 lbs
What has worked for me so far has been this thinking: If I could eat right now, even if I wouldn't consider myself hungry, I should eat something. Not making yourself sick of course.

Its very likely that the things that you consider edible (because theyre edible to everyone else) arent properly digestible by your body. You could legitemately have a pseudo grain intolerance or some dumb shit like that. You should very strictly evaluate what you can and cant eat before trying to force feed yourself.

This is similar thinking to something like a whole30 which is incorrectly thought of as a way to lose weight but its really just a really structured way to find out what you can and cant digest. I did one with my girl and learned that i cant tolerate unfrermented milk or legumes. I lost some weight on it but after i got off and knew what fucked me up and what didnt, I've been able to gain like 10 lbs. (instead of gomad i just have a liter of kefir. because i can digest it. which means i can eat real food. which means i can meet my calorie goals)

Yeah I recently started but it's fucked when you have the natural build of an ethiopian. them feels when I'll probably gain only 10 pounds after year of consistent dieting/lifting then lose it in a month if I stop

the best thing to do i've found is have 1-3 meals that are the exact same every day and fill out the rest with random snacks or fast food, etc. this is a pretty typical day for me.

My three kind of core pillars are:
4 eggs, two packs of oatmeal, 50g peanuts

1 or 2 peanut butter and banana sandwiches

crockpot chicken and veg

pepperoni sticks

M8 just eat a fuckton of fat and protein, do 6day workout routines and do calisthenics/stretching on your day off.

Be commited.

Overkill on the protein, it's too much and it'll make it harder to eat more food because it'll fill your stomach more.

How fo you fellow lanklets deal with stomach shape?
>6'3, 170lbs for reference, gained 15 pounds since September
I'm always super worried about bloated/distended abs and zipper abs, but trying to eat more bloats me out, as expected. Anyone have good tips to get around this? Stomach exercises? I'm mostly doing hanging knee raises which has helped alot but past that I'm clueless, and eating alot of food stresses me out

Try mass gainer powder instead of normal whey, it has some protein as well but a lot more calories

dont be afraid to gain a little bit of weight and just track yourself, but chances are that won't even happen if you've stayed this skinny for this long, you'll have to push it to see results

seems like a good daily estimate, might be a little low but you have to cater to your own metabolism so if you aren't seeing a gain in weight, you simply have to eat more until your body changes

Eat, sleep, and don't overtrain. Literally the best advice possible and it's that simple.
Track your food. Eat clean food, not a ton of processed sugar. Eat high carb like rice and pastas. Have a few tbs of peanutbutter before bed everynight.
Sleep. Get at least 7-8 hours. Sleep is more important for recovery than food. No matter what you do, you won't gain weight unless you sleep. Stop playing games till 3am, shut off everything and go to bed early.
Don't overtrain. Most skellys I know try to overcompensate by pushing harder and going to the gym more often. They end up expending even more calories than they take in. This catches up with you quickly. 3-4 days a week 45min sessions is enough. Don't max out everyday or go to failure, you'll just be hurting your gains and you'll eventually stall out.

Literally every single person will tell you the same things, epecially "eat more". Yet lanklets say "I need advice other than eat more". No, just fucking do it. Eat, sleep, get on a good program. You're entire biology not different from people 3 inches shorter than you.

>t. exlanklet

Bloat can be sign of not meeting calorie needs. Your stomach just isn't used to food. Stick with it and it will go away. Drink lots of water, if you notice even after going to the gym you're still on your ass all day go for a walk or something, etc. all that same shit you've heard a 1000 times because it Really Werx. Increasing calories gradually also helps instead of going from the starve-mode you've been living in to trying to eat like Mikahl Felps within 24 hours

Always be in an exhaled-ab-clenched-state when you're working your core.

>t. ex-bulimic who was unsightly with bloat during recovery

6’ 145 here. Started at 5’11 120 about a year ago, these faggots telling you to eat right are fuckin right. Some days I literally stopped by Walmart bought 3 jugs of milk and chugged then over the course of the day just to get the excess calories.

Not all three lmao. I wrote that poorly. I chugged one each day for 3 days

this. you are now a lifting machine, food is diesel.

This is me holy shit

I never know what to eat mostly because I despise eating. But I really need to eat more I think. I'm 6'0 150lbs. I usually eat 1-2 meals a day and rarely ever above 1000-1500 calories.

This is a damn good tip. I think for a lot of skinny dudes that lift and are capable of eating fine, aka their apetite is functional, has a very "adaptive" hunger. If you eat a lot and often, you'll cravefood more, but if you cut the food you eat in half, your body will adapt in a few days like it was nothing.
Just gotta track and time it desu. "How long till I go to bed, how many calories left?"

My problem is that I have ZERO confidence in my ability to gain muscle or get stronger, whatever I try I never do. I can gain fat though.

Eat frequently. I never eat so much that I get full. I’ve put on 35 pounds since I started no problem.

how can a skinny guy eat enough calories to clean bulk in a 2 hour eating window for the entire day?

Why the fuck are you eating in a 2 hour window?

can i still grow in height at 18?

does that affect your answer?

It's easy peasy bro, seriously how can you be having a hard time?

Keking at the lanklets in this thread.
>5'11 master race

Most guys keep growing into late 20's early thirties

Same but i'm 19, try eating 5 meals a day if you can. They don't have to be huge but eat some pasta, chicken, rice and some dirty shit like pancakes, and try to get in 2L of milk in a day if you can. If it's too much try cutting down on meals and getting a smoothie in. Also lift.

Girls kek at you, user

Dude I can't believe you'd put that on your story.

Is that a lanklet cope? Enjoy dying at 60, without ever achieving muscle mass, lanklet

Yeah gotta rub it in on how I'm better then you all. 6months work

6'2"" 200 lbs
and I thought I was thin

Don't listen to these other fags.

If you are skinny as fuck you need to be consuming more sugar and simple carbs. Other than avoiding too much sodium and trans fats, you should dirty bulk to your leisure.

The goal is more calories, from any source. Sugars will keep you from feeling full.

You're not better than anybody if you need to fucking post your shit constantly for validation, like even your faggy snapchat friends thought your journey was cool before you started posting gay shit like above.

Also your tattoos are some of the worst, vapid, horribly drawn pieces of work I've ever seen. I'm almost convinced you're just a fucking creeper posting another douchebag's shit to bait me.

Firstly, being taller means longer limbs, which in turn makes it look like you're smaller than you actually are.

1kg of muscle mass over 50cm looks larger than 1kg over 80cm. Even if you are identical in strength/mass to your friend, if hes shorter he will look stronger than you.

But the big thing is eating. You need to do progressive eating like you would progressively increase weight. For a month make a plan you follow every day, and push yourself for more food each day you eat.

Mfw 6'2 225 and 2500 cal is a cheat day for me right now

weird seeing the polar opposite goal.

I'm hungry user

Lose weight is easy, just lose it if you gain it.

you need to eat so much fucking food at that height to put on weight

Ate till I was burping up food chunks and still didn't gain weight

I don’t know since I’m a starter. But damn it sound delicious...

I had similar stats when I started, I'm 180lbs now and starting to see abs.

We're all gonna make it, user.

For your height, age and weight you should be aiming for 4500 calories a day. It's simple math; energy in energy out... an excess of energy gets absorbed and stored in your body.

By the way nigger, you're not even skinny. Your BMI is 24.3 which is closer to being overweight than underweight. My BMI is fucking 19 which is borderline underweight and you don't see me crying

bmi is rigged for tall people
I'm at 22 BMI at 6'4" and still pretty skelly

Give up then, faggot.

How long did it take?

Yep. I'm 6'4 and for years I couldn't figure out why I wasn't gaining weight despite eating quite a lot. You have to eat loads.

this

Firstly - READ. THE. FUCKING. STICKY.

Secondly, I'm curious to know if you actually CAN "eat more".

I was/am well aware of the simple science, I knew I was skinny because I didn't eat enough. That's it, nothing more, nothing less. I just needed to eat more.

Problem is, I couldn't. Panic attacks/anxiety, and I'd just throw up if I forced myself to eat more.

Then I discovered I was low test. Did my first steroid cycle in spring/summer last year and put on two stone. I still don't look like a roider, by no means, but I now look normal, rather than like someone who is dying of cancer.

Still hitting the gym hard, food intake still great. I now look like someone who goes to the gym, but certainly nothing special at all. Next cycle coming up in Feb though so I'm guessing I'll be on my way to the next stage.

This tells you all you need to know about skinny fuckers, I'll bet you only flush once lol

Holy delusion

5000+ is way too high an estimate. I'm 6'3" and only need a little over 3000 calories to gain weight. OP likely needs closer to 3500 to bulk.

you're probably not eating enough
probably not training hard enough (and or right)
and you're probably low test

>it's another BAWWWW EATING'S HARD :( thread
As a recovering skeleton that escaped Auschwitz-mode, I have no sympathy for you people. "Eat more lift more" isn't just a meme response, I guarantee none of the people in this thread that "just can't get stronger/put on weight no matter what I try :(" aren't doing nearly as much as they think they are.

I was 6'6" and 154lbs. You don't know what skinny is.

22yo 6'4'' here. I went from 75kg to 80kg in a couple of months just by actually eating real food 3 times a day + "healthy" snacks. Cut all the candy and soda too. Just now started lifting so hopefully I'll reach 90kg sometime soon.

skellys and fatties are delusional if u wanna gain look at a obese mofo what portion sizes they eat, if you wanna lose weight watch the size of portions skeletors eat usually is a handfull of fruit or nuts or dick and they say they are full

>6'1"
>141lbs

Currently I have a calorie goal for each day of around 2950 calories, should I set it higher? I usually consume more anyway.

I’m at your height and I used to be on that caloric deficit and found my weight gain very slow so I bumped it up to 3500 kcal and eventually to 4000 kcal.

Is it normal to always gain weight in the love handles first?
Despite lifting up to 6 days a week, everytime I increase my calorie intake it seem to go straight there.

Shit, what do you normally eat?
I'm having a hard time filling out what I'm doing now, and that's with protein shakes and peanut butter

That's honestly repulsive

>135 pounds normie diet

No, you're on some auschwitz diet. Eat as much as you can whenever you can, don't worry about macros. Use the fact that you are disgustingly skinny as a motivation to better your condition.

Not him but I had the same problem in college. Was bulking on $35/week.
Whole milk(borderline GOMAD amounts)
Cheapest pasta you can find, pasta sauce if you need it, otherwise butter+salt
Bulk chicken breast (I got it for $2/lb). Usually season it with some Cajun spice
Eggs, friend or scrambled with cheese and peppers
Personally I like sandwiches; mayo, ham, romaine lettuce, optional cheese.

ALWAYS buy from the produce section, don't buy pre-bagged shit. It's more expensive.