OHP every day?

What are your guys' thoughts on OHP every day? If I couple it with pull ups, lat pull downs and face pulls, would that work? Might even throw in some bicep curls a few times a week. I think I'm going to attempt squat/ohp everyday with antagonistic accessories for a good month or so.

Other urls found in this thread:

blackironbeast.com/power-to-the-people
youtube.com/watch?v=JSp9AxOUWlg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Say goodbye to your shoulder and knee joints.
Do a fucking program, you don't need to do the same exercises every single day. You will get burnt out and quit, or you will injure yourself before seeing any sort of results.

What program specializes in OHP? I'll be greasing the groove anyway and specializing in the movement. It's only for a month anyway.

Are you doing it for a competition or something? Why not do multiple shoulder exercises if you're trying to get massive delts?

Done it before, it's fine for 4 weeks, 6 max. Obviously don't increase the weight each day, and you'll probably want some light days.

In fact the hardest part is balancing the pulling, as that always tended to irritate my elbows.

why tho

Read Power to the People, the whole book. It's short, entertaining and put in very simple terms. The routine is extremely simple, but the bool will teach you how to do it without hurting yourself.

Makes sense right, it's the most complete barbell exercise for the upper body. But i would argue against it for reasons of shoulder health. Alternate it with bench pressing or something

I want a stronger OHP and squat. I'll add in lat raises but OHP does enough as it is for my shoulders along with weighted pull ups.

I planned on some days doing 3x10, or starting with a moderately heavy weight for 4-8 reps then doing back off sets. Just want to get the volume in and become more efficient at the movement.

I primarily do lots of pulling, but plan on doing plenty of pull ups, weighted and bodyweight, in-between my sets of OHP with lat pull down as a finisher, 5x10 maybe. Some days I'll throw in DB rows as well. Definitely face pulls and rear delt work every day.

Squat and OHP are the two main movements I do and I want to be the strongest presser in my uni and be stronger. Most people barely do above 135 and if they do, it's push press. I'm at 160x5, paused, and want a 205 OHP hopefully before summer.

Sounds good, thanks for the recommendation.

I only plan on doing it for 4 weeks. I have spring break at the end of February so with this month long training, I'll have a week of pure rest to decide what I want to tackle next and how to approach my volume going forward. I'll likely put these on the backseat if I hit my goals or something is feeling wonky then do lots of antagonistic work and begin a proper program. Plus this is much easier for me because I'd rather do something like this while prepping for a potential tooth extraction. Pretty much waiting for the doc to tell me when it's happening when I go in two weeks. I don't want to be in the middle of a program and I have to take off because I can't go heavy and this will allow me to still hit my goals of getting volume in and getting stronger.

every day will fuck you up, every two days is doable

here's what i did when LP ran out
(one per day, not all on the same day)
>8x8
>8x5
>3x2, 3x3
>all near maximal
>microload, try increasing weight every week
>eat and sleep a lot
>every few weeks, instead of the above, do push press singles and overloaded half-presses (bottom part)

t. 95x3 (kg) press

>Be OP
>Progress on OHP in the beginning
>Eventually starts failing reps
>Plateaus
>Progresses anyway doing fewer and fewer reps per set
>Cheats his rep on a heavy weight
>Fucks his rotator cuff and shoulders

i did squats 4 times a week 4 days in a row it was brutal but got results although i dont think i really got stronger just maxed out my current strength

go nuts, OP
>blackironbeast.com/power-to-the-people

try out Candytoe's 6 week and set OHP as an additional press. It added at least 20 lbs to my OHP. Max before was around 170, max press after was an easy 190, possibly even 195.

I'm about to wrap up Candito's 6 week program. I didn't think of setting OHP as a main lift, ironically. I'm kind of sick of doing his program actually since this is the third time I've done it. I love it but I don't want to run it again for another year or so.

Thanks

I get what you mean, not the most fun program but it did add 20-30lbs onto all my lifts. I'd say just doing the ramping sets + heavier sets in the later weeks is what did the trick. Might wanna try just taking the assistance lift template and add that into your routine if you're desperate enough and looking to try anything

Dont wanna hijack your thread OP but

Is Greyskull an adequate program for OHP and Chest? My OHP is my weakest lift and I want to get better at it.

Doing it for bodybuilding is imbecile 8-hour arms rich piana-tier dumbfuckery.

Doing it because you want a massive press and training like an olympic athlete is quite different. You would do it like they do, keep the reps low, take your time while training, and practice form. Make the movement as efficient as possible, get strong and explosive.

I think I can guess that you're going to go the Rich Piana route.

I know this is push press, but look at the difference between these guys.

youtube.com/watch?v=JSp9AxOUWlg

I'll give it a go. I want to try PTTP first and then I'll do candito after.

Don't worry, but I'm not sure. Hopefully someone gets back to you on that.

Yeah, funny enough I am trying to leave humanity behind when it comes to my OHP. If I can press 225 before I graduate college next year I'd be ecstatic.

Work up to a single, then do drop sets for volume(15%-40% jumps). When you stall change to an OHP variation.

Also I love how Veeky Forums collectively loses its mind over OHP specificity program, but holy shit it is ok to squat 3x a week.

I'm only doing this for 4 weeks but planned on doing more than a single, like heavy 2-5 rep set then back off sets of 6+ reps depending on how I feel. Same with squats too.

Yeah, this board is filled with DYELS anyway. I like using programs but a lot of the lifts I do don't have any programs for them so it's all based on the fly kind of stuff. I tend to just use squat specific programs or take a program I like and do what I want for upper body and use programming for legs.

>You would do it like they do
He's a natural you fucking retard. Naturals can not do what the olympians can do.

He just means general work ethic. I'm young anyway and want to push what I can do. Plus I have a bit of time and since I train early morning, I typically have equipment to myself.

What should my nutrition look like?

That particular approach predates the invention of steroids.

Oh really.
Where did that approach originate.

For lifting, it actually comes from some of the old circus strongmen (Arthur Saxon usually gets credit but fuck knows exactly who was doing what) who apparently nicked it off how some of the acrobatic/gymnastic guys were training their stunts.

Can't fry yourself out training when you're doing exhibitions on the regular and a lot of the old strongman displays were tricks as much as lifts, so people ended up doing a lot of what was basically skill training.

The drop sets is where the volume is at. What do think it is gone be easy? On your way down you will be blasting reps. Also you probably will be doing this frequently right?

This is specific to OHP, Squats actually respond differently, as a major big compound, squats are easier to get gains on. The way you are explaining your protocol works fine on Squats, while OHP will need much more volume both on the heavier and lighter sides of the spectrum.

Okay, I get it. I primarily wanted to work in the 2-5 rep range for heavy weights to get accustomed to prepping heavy weight and then do the back off sets afterwards. I could just do heavy single every day but would it be best to push a 1rm or do 175 for a week straight and then bump up 5lbs the next week?

t. brainlet

OP, barbell medicine is coming out with a Press-focused program on Monday. Wait for that

Will it cost? I'm not about to pay for a program unless it's from Brian asruhle or Cws

You can do your idea first, then what I advised ok, you could even cycle those. Do 1RMs, the volume from doing 175s can be replaced with the drop down sets, like I say do with a set %, on some days you do smaller(15%) and others bigger(40%) jumps, call it heavy and light volume days, respectively. Remember you won't be stuck to doing only OHP forever as it only(this only make it harder OHPing at any weight) but after you stall you will be rotating to a OHP variation, if it is press over your head you should be doing it: it includes but it not limited to pin presses(from different heights), One arm presses, Presses with leg drive(e.g Jerk/Push press), Isometric Press(?) ( where you only do the bottom portion, opposing the pin press) and obviously the Z Press, which is one of the hardest variations. Also check if you brace properly as pressing over head is reliant on it, sometimes even more than other lifts. And only do this if can OHP properly.

>look like a Neanderthal pill

Aesthetic.

That sounds good. I'll give it a shot. I'd eventually like to have snatch press as a main movement but not everyday, maybe 2-3x/week with front squats. I don't know why I can't get myself to do push press, I just feel like I'm cheating myself but I'll get over it. Have you done pin press? Seems interesting to me

IIRC Brian Alsruhe has a video on push pressing. No because the rack on my gym is pretty shitty, is doable but it get pretty weird, which is why I gave up on it, but I have done Z press and it is hard, I was simply not buying it but god I was wrong. Two recommendation: make the Z and conventional over head press you standard lifts; if you are squating and pressing on same day, squat first.

ops meant to

What's the difference between seated press and Z press? Core stability? And I typically do squats first.

Seated press is like an incline bench Tbh, a lot of guys can quite literally press a whole plate more
than they could standing or in a z-press (not that anyone actually does z-presses)

If you want to OHP every day as an intermediate, you will need small weight increases and 1x5 topset programming.

By small, I mean less than 1 pound a day increases. Alternatively, you could have more aggressive increases, but you will need to pair them with alternating light days. That said, if your goal is just to press more weight, you only need 3 days a week with once a week increases (Heavy, Light, Medium or Heavy Medium, Light).

It is much easier to press seated than with your legs in front of you on a straight position. As pointed, the set up matters this much, you are seated, yet you can use feet somehow, flex you butt and with your back resting on the bench while Z press lacks all these things, relying much more on your bracing and upper body alone. Your lower body helps a lot, through stabilization and structural integrity, you can quickly notice the difference by pressing with or without flexing your glutes, on the Z press this effect is further explored.
Z press is more frequently used by Strongman competitors, as pressing is one the core movements of the sport. Or people that just care about The Press™, which lets agree we don't know much about but they exist.