/run/- Running General

>tfw started running again
>too sore to run
>can't wait for the next run

God damn I am glad I started running again! How was your run today?

MOMMY

Ooof... Urge to breed... Rising...

Grade 2 tear in left calf and grade 1 tear in right calf. Pray for me boys

GP appointment in a week to talk about how to fix my perpetually fucked knee. Easy 5k tomorrow.

Shit I need to get checked out. I did rehad for my knee years ago from a sport injury and my calf and hamstring have been tight ever since.

muh dick
source pls

Going for a 15km run tomorrow or Sunday, aiming for a 5min/km tempo.

I rest it and it gets better then it recurs. Sometimes it's fine for 6 months but it always comes back. Feels like the back of my knee is swollen. Hurts the first 1k then feels fine until a few hours after the run. Bad in the mornings too.

I’m training for my first half marathon in the middle of March. I’ve been doing 2 short runs a week and a long run. Any other advice for a first timer?

Trying to get back into HIIT runs instead of regular jogging because I've finally become honest enough with myself to admit that I run to get skinny, not to be athletic, and my goodness the scientists all seem to think intervals burn more calories. Anyone else HIIT-ing? Favourite workouts? Let's cry that nice outdoor running weather is still months away?

Up that to two short runs, a medium run, and the weekend long run by the end of the month, and spend the last 2 weeks tapering down.

5 days a week running is better than 4, but 4 should still be enough to prepare you for a half. What's the longest distance you're planning to do?

>tfw cold weather running

I just do hill sprints with the 28 Days Later theme on repeat.
I'm not trying to lose weight, but HIIT is supposed to be better for muscle gain than regular muscle destroying cardio.

/new england/ user here, what do I do when it's cold and there's snow and ice and shit everywhere? Are treadmills being bad just a meme?

Damn injuries suck man. I had to lower my pace or risk fucking up my calf again. My hamstring feels like there is a huge knot or some shit.

It isn't so bad since I slow down and enjoy my runs more now.

made for KKK

I'm doing my first half marathon in May, read that you should get 20-25km per week in volume during your training.

I was planning to increase the long run distance a mile per week to peak at 10 miles a week before the race. I did my long run yesterday which was 5 miles. Can I keep it at 2x2 mile runs a 4 mile run and a long run per week? Have had left knee problems (mcl and reduced cartilage)in the past so I want to avoid injury.

>Are treadmills being bad just a meme?

Yeah, just boring as hell.

Hal Higdon's programs are gold. You can find his progressions online for the half or full. Don't over eat.

>hill sprints with the 28 Days Later theme
lol

is it possible to be able to run long distances and still be jacked?

Yeah they do! I've dropped off a bit of pace. Hopefully the Drs will help, doubt it tho.

running in the snow isn't that bad, ice is worse but you can usually see it and slow down

Look at her tiny peanut head on that giant hulking body

I can run 6 km without stopping at 12 kph on a treadmill, but if I try running around the block (even flat ground) I’m wheezing within minutes. I know that the nature of treadmills is less demanding because of the difference in direction of propulsion in each step etc. but surely something is amiss. I have asthma so I’m thinking maybe wind/air temperature outside?

I quite enjoy treadmills regardless but it’d be nice not to rely on a gym membership

Fantastic yesterday. Got dumped by old oneitis. Again. Split it into intervals. Fucking hammered it on the sprints to the point where I had to stop and it was beautiful

Today, shin splits. Why flat feet (before you mention I have custom orthotics)

One of my running buds is 6’2”, 210, top heavy build, low bf, and consistently runs 5-7 miles at/under 7min/mile pace

Currently at my parents house and the hills are killing me. Ran 10k yesterday and my pace was all fucked up. No injuries though.

Feelsbadman

Stop running on treadmills. There's nothing better than going out for a run on a nice long trail and being one with nature.
t. XC fag

>finally work up to 50 mpw
>too cold out to run
>decide to use dreadmill due to -20F weather
>start running
>get leg pain with a mile
>week later
>does not go away
>go to doctor
>get tests done
>stress fracture
>no running allowed for 6 weeks
>have marathon coming up in 8 weeks
>can only pool run, row, cycle, or use elliptical
Kill me.

Threadly reminder that your deadlift should be higher than your mile time.

>ran 13.1 miles for the first time today
>pace was solid for the first two thirds, but I fell apart in the last 4 miles
>got dumped on with rain in the beginning
>nipples bled from chafing
>never been this sore in my whole life -- not even after hiking a 22 mile day in the New Mexico mountains
>ridiculously hungry and thirsty afterward

I could get used to this. Only been running for two weeks, so 13.1 today was probably a mistake, but I enjoyed the experience. And I know for sure that I can cut at least 30 or 40 minutes off of my time for the race in April

Running shoes insoles ... good enough to run on concrete/asphalt?

do you go to a YMCA?

>rain hasn't stopped in a week
>only one dry day, ran once
>caught a cold, now indoors and coughing/feverish
Fucking sucks

What's your winter running gear?

I do treadmill stuff but I want to run outside now and it's cold. Where should I buy running tight and what's the best kind?

You can definitely do it that way, though you might find those last three miles are an unexpectedly tough last go. If you're feeling strong enough, try to do 11 miles instead of 10.

Also, the user who mentioned Hal Higdon is right I used his program for my first three marathons, and was happy with all of them

>this user has been running for TWO WEEKS and can do double the length I can

I hate being a cardiolet

You're doing 3 runs for half training? Shit, you need to get more than that. Obviously don't kill yourself and I don't know what you're at running-wise, but even 3-5 miles for weekdays plus a long run would be better. Gotta have some volume.

Nah. I just wear windproof clothes because I hate treadmills more than freezing. Still sucks though.

Do any of you also lift? How much are you eating a day then? I was lifting and cutting on 2300 cals a day. Started running 10km a day and I can't find the right amount of cals to eat now.

You can probably eat ~500 calories more a day and still be "breaking even".

just took a huge dab
gonna watch s6 of f-r-i-e-n-d-s

Probably gonna be a tl;dr post but whatever.

I tried basically everything.

Staying at 2300 = almost died
Eating 2800 = felt fine, but couldn't lift and run on the same day. Literally too weak to do both. Also was losing a lot of weight.
Eating 3500 = best option so far, could run and lift, but was not losing weight or very marginally at least.
Eating 4200 = could run even 15km a day and have good lifting sessions, but I gained basically three pounds that week.

I don't know what to do. I feel that must either commit to lifting with some accessory runs here and there, or commit to running with some bodyweight exercises at best on the side until I start bulking.

Currently 6'1 180lbs but at 14-16% bf. Wanna cut down to 8-9% before I start the cleanest bulk ever over the course of a year or so, to get back to 180 but this time lean as fuck.