Bodyweight for beginners

Hi Veeky Forums, I want to start increasing my strength with bodyweight exercises. Muscle gain isn't a priority for me, but I don't know enough to know if it's useless to me or not.

Enlighten me on what you think and what I should do to start.

Don’t do bodyweight, read SS

Is bodyweight bad or is it bad for beginners?

it's not "bad", just horrendously slow. strength training is a pretty slow process even under the best circumstances, and with bodyweight training it takes forever

it depends what you understands under strength gains, do you want to be able to do an iron cross or have a good deadlift

I don't think it's a bad place to start if you're dedicated, but you'll also plateau pretty fast

Are you currently watching, op? What season you on?

What time of period are we talking about? How much slower will it take to build strength? I don't have a gym subscription and I had planned not to have one since here they cost a lot and are already packed full of show offs. I will go to one if it's needed, however

Never thought about that, but I guess I'd like to be able to make both. If I have to go for one, I'd say deadlifts.

So it could work as a starting point? Or should I completely jump off the bodyweight train?

I'm in sud/central Europe, so here's still winter.

I wanted to try bodyweight as many people seemed to gain lots of strength in little to no time, but I guess I've looked at the wrong articles..

>I'm in sud/central Europe, so here's still winter
I more meant the fact you started the thread with a screen cap of Mr Robot, but that's a seriously odd choice of thread starting picture if you're not into the show.

if you're gonna start weight training might as well just do it. Bodyweight is fine and cheap but it's a pain to get a proper warm up and really it's just pullups and pushups at the end of the day.

Main lifts with barbells, assists with bodyweight master race.

Lurk around or trawl the archives for a bodyweight general for some concentrated info.
Almost any fitness discipline has its merits to someone who's motivated. Veeky Forums has a massive bias towards weights, so don't take it too seriously when people tell you to lift instead. Maybe it has more merit, maybe it doesn't.

I assumed you were talking about the fact I was being late to reply
I'm on season 2, I've just started it. I have set the image to a screen of the s02 since I don't have any fitness related pics here

Then I'll see if there's any available gym. Should I go for a trainer too or should I build my schedule and do that only? Also I'm clueless about programs. So I guess I don't have much of a choice

read the sticky mate

I'll do some lurking too, then. In the past I've mostly seen non-beginners exercises... Should I lurk more or try with those? I don't think the latter might be a good idea

there are a million online resources, they usually offer a free session, if not might be worth it to get a guy one time to teach you some lifts.

Did that now. I didn't realise there were exercises there too.

But are the free resources good? Could you point me some that you would recommend?
But yeah, that was my thought too. Just to learn how to lift and what I shouldn't do

check the reddit recommended routine for bodyweight

Trainers can be pretty pointless, they usually bank on people not knowing anything about how to get fit and not caring to know, which is why they're paying a trainer to just tell them what to do. A trainer will often be more focused on making workouts either fun or exhausting, so you'll want to come back and/or feel like it's working (and while being exhausted usually means you've burned calories, it doesn't automatically mean you're moving towards a specific goal like strength gains etc). But by doing this, their workouts are often structured in a way that takes you through a million different exercises, leaving you with no strong understanding of any one of them, and no knowledge to really take away from it to use in your own time.
For people who just want to get their heart rate up for an hour 3 times a week and don't want to think about it, a trainer can be useful to keep them motivated, but if you're training towards a specific goal, you'll want to build a foundation of knowledge for yourself beforehand, so you can either guide yourself or select an appropriate trainer/coach who you can trust knows what they're talking about. A good lifting coach, unlike a generic personal trainer, will be much more focused on educating you.

What books should I read beforehand? I'm really interested in fitness and exercises in general, but I'm beginning just know to consider doing it seriously

>I'm on season 2, I've just started it.
I hope you continue to enjoy the show. It's certainly my favourite show.

It's my favourite too. I love penetration testing related stuff and this show also combines it into it.

>I love penetration testing related stuff and this show also combines it into
>on Veeky Forums
M80 we are now officially friends

Google Starting Bodyweight, Al Kavado, and Gold Medal Bodies.

Do calisthenics and, when they get a bit too easy, add some weighted backpack type thing. You can get good results by augmenting that way and it's cheaper.

Of course, free weights and machines are easier to consistently progress on but not everybody has access to a gym. Sometimes it's even better to workout at home with cals because you may find you enjoy it and therefore be more consistent.

kek

To also recommend Reddit, /r/bodyweightfitness has a lot of resources, including their own bodyweight routine.

Ultimately, there's a fuckton of variance between bodyweight routines and general programs, so unless you're particularly tied to one program (i.e. you like and respect where/who it's come from), your best bet is just to do a program that fits best with your schedule -- which is ultimately a big reason behind doing bodyweight exercises in the first place.

>this is what fatasfatasses actually believe