QTDDTOT

Old one dyin'

QUESTIONS THAT DON'T DESERVE THEIR OWN THREAD

I hate iOS but I also hate Android. What phone should I get?

This has nothing to do with fitness. Try /g/ if they will even attempt to answer you seriously.

Do you even want a smartphone?

Google Pixel 2

What's the consensus on lunch meat? I buy organic honey smoked turkey breast lunch meat and use it as one of my main protein sources.

how to get wide back like this while relatively low bf%?

I don't really have a choice about getting one. /g/ is full of retarded autists. Even moreso than here.

Harsh overhead lighting.

Well, why don't you like Android? What phones have you used?

iOS I get because each phone is more-or-less the same.

Gonna need budget, size preference, what you want to do with you, what you need from it, do you like listening to music, etc.

Lunch meat is find just fucking pricey. You can get 4 lbs of raw chicken breast for like the same price as one pound of lunch meat.

Used a Nexus 7 and a Samsung Tab S3. And a few friends` phones I don't know the names of. Current phone is a Nokia 6010.

Android is always different every phone I try and although I can make it work in a mostly reasonable way, it takes time to set up and then three months later I have to reset the OS and start over because it gets laggy. With iOS there are just some things I can't do well, like local file management and working without a desktop (muh iTunes). But God do I hate Android`s predictive text.

Those are tablets, not phones...No wonder. Android tablets are garbage and have moreorless been totally abandoned by google.

>But God do I hate Android`s predictive text.
You can change that. Swiftkey is really popular and a far better keyboard than most default ones. Gboard is the google keyboard that is also a lot better than most brand's default ones.

What's your budget? Almost any android phone has the ability to do local file management.

Been out of the gym/haven’t lifted seriously in 4 or so months. Was in the advanced range on a split. Good routines for getting back into a groove?

Phones don't seem to be significantly different from small tablets to me. Some apps look better, but they don't really seem to work better. I'm sure there are some functions that work better if I use phones primarily as phones, but so far I mostly like the 6010 for use as an actual phone. But everyone wants to text rather than talk and texting is hell on dumb phones.

I've tried a few alternative keyboards and they seem worse than the stock stuff. Maybe I just haven't found the right one. Apple's is tolerable though. Is there one for Android that works like that?

Money is not an issue, really, I just don't like to waste it.

Just jump back in at a weight that feels a little too light and work back up.

>Phones don't seem to be significantly different from small tablets to me.
They absolutely are. Android and iOS run slightly different OS's on tablets and use very different hardware. Android tablets get no support, and they almost all universally suck dick.

Most android phones these days are pretty good, a few years ago you could easily get stuck with a dud that you have no control over.

Until recently every android phone had like a default manufacturer-branded keyboard instead of some universal one. Gboard or Swiftkey are better than everything else.

Once again, you gotta tell me what you want outta this thing and you're budget. File management is something any pos android phone can do.

Tell me what you want outta
>Speakers
>headphone jack
>screen/phone size
>CDMA (aka Verizon or SPrint) or GSM (everyone else)
>How long do you want to use it for
>How long should the battery last
>do you care about OLED
>Do you like to play games
>Do you care about updates and security patches
and so on. There's a lot of factors to consider.

Do you count the bar when talking about how much you lift?

The infinite variety of Android devices is part of why I'm considering iPhones.

What are some differences between phone and tablet on Android?

Mostly I want something to replace my dumb phone and tablet. Budget is effectively unlimited. A thousand dollars isn't a big deal if it saves me a bunch of hassle.

I don't care about games or photos or a headphone jack. Decent speakers would be nice. I want a good screen, but no OLED. It looks oversaturated, like everything is in shitty HDR. The taptic feedback on the iPhone 7 is nice. Long battery life, long service life, and good update/patch support is preferred.

GSM.

Yes.

Should I rest when my muscles are sore even it is on workout day?

No. Soreness is a nerve irritation issue, not a muscular recovery one. You should feel fine after your warmup.

If price is no issue and you want good battery, service, speakers, and update support, go for the Google Pixel 2. Works on all networks, guaranteed 2 years of updates, great camera, OLED screen actually tuned for RGB instead of the samsung oversaturated thing, and a battery that's p decent.

You're not gonna find anything in the android tablet area that will satisfy your replacement desires.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for an ab routine? Not looking for dieting tips btw; I just want to strengthen my core.

Okay. I'll take a look at it. I appreciate the help. Thanks.

Is going really low while back squatting and 'bouncing' at the bottom ok?

Ab roller. Closest you're going to get to an easily scalable ab exercise.

As long as you're not rounding your low back, bouncing out of the bottom is what you should be doing.

Are Brussel sprouts just as nutritious and good as brocoli? I love them and would prefer to eat them over brocoli

Plants seem nutritious, but mostly aren't. The nutrients aren't particularly bioavailiable (like 15% or so compared to meat's 90%+) and they're paired with antinutrients like natural pesticides that keep the plants from being eaten, so I doubt it matters that much which you eat. If you like the taste, go for it.

Oh yeah make sure to get the non-XL version. The XL version has a lot of issues with the screen.

I will definitely keep that in mind. Thanks again.

I got a slightly painful loose patch of skin on the back of my foot about the size of a dime last time I went for a walk. Should I wear a thicker sock on that boot or something?

>Take 2 capsules 1 to 3 times daily

what the fuck does this mean?

2 capsules total? 2x3 capsules total? halp

Two capsules at a time. Repeat one to three times a day. Two to six capsules total per day. Probably with food.

It's a blister. Moisture and rubbing caused it. Google how to deal with it.

whats better 3 sets with 12 reps and then a break of a couple of hours and then 3 sets again or doing 6 sets in a row

>Google how to deal with it.
Can't I just ignore it?

If it breaks open, it tends to be pretty unpleasant to walk on.

Better for what?

It's on the back of my heel, it should be fine.

Are noob gains real? Starting from a completely skinny, no fat no muscle loser, will I see quick results? Or should I expect them in more of the 3 - 6 month range

Strength

>will I see quick results?
The more you put in, the more you get out.

t. 6'1" 140lbs

Why don't they put protein in Powerade?

2 to 5 sets of 5 at around 75% of your 1RM with 5-15 min of rest between sets.

>begin feeling a weak pain in my arms that lasts longer than usual, go into my usual short noob workout with a little pain

I don't know if this is bad. Am I working out too hard, eating too little or being too much of a soyboy? Will my arm muscles adjust eventually?

I'm 6'1 180 lbs and I've been doing manual labor 50 hours a week and lifting 4 days for about 8 months now
I eat two big meals, mostly chicken and vegetables and then little "healthy" snacks during the day and it usually adds up to about 4-4500 calories
Up until about a month ago it was going great and I was seeing gains but lately I've been SO hungry and having brain fog like I haven't eaten in a while.. right after I eat a 2000 calorie meal
Did my metabolism somehow get used to it and now I need to add more or is it my body telling me I'm overtraining or none of the above or what?

531 variations that emphasize upper body (bench & ohp)? i don't give a fuck about squats and am happy to do them only 1x per week

ok thanks

New to the gym.

What I the proper gym etiquette? what are things any new gym member should know? And how do you deal with sweat on the machines?

I am not from fit and have an question.

PS: I am not a troll or trolling.

I have a problem with eating food that I dont like (that usually includes healthy food).

I came with some idea:
1-Buy a very powerfull blender like blendtec ones.
2-Cook the healthy food
3-Blend it for the amount of time needed at blend
4-Put this at a glass
5-Drink the entire thing really fast.

Would this unorthodox idea lead to some problem?

Again, I am not a troll, just trying to fix a problem in a unorthodox way.

What do you guys think of sumo deadlifts vs regular deadlifts for starting strength?

0 reason to do sumo on SS

This is what I thought. Should I continue to do sumo until I can improve my mobility? I'm 6'4" and am really unflexable.

This is something you should Google.

If you can do conventional without rounding your back, do them. If you can't, do squat-width (feet just outside your hands) deads. Sumo (feet as close as possible to the plates) is dumb.

Basically eating baby food. Not an original idea. Bodybuilders have been making shit like tuna shakes since forever.

No. Your mobility will come naturally, just focus on lighter weight until your form catches up.

Thank you, I will really focus on stretching and switch to conventional.

how to surpass a bench press plateau? ive been lifting for about 5 months and i'm stalling at 1 plate. very sad

Eat.

GOMAD

Thanks for the info.

All my problems are solved.

Now just need to buy the blender.

And also more mouthwasher, I will drink it at the bathroom and then quickly use mouthwasher (and then brush my teeth too) to avoid any bad taste

are you supposed to tuck in your elbows while pushups or arms akimbo?

Not sure why you think you can do push ups with your hands on your hips like Superman (arms akimbo)...

Either elbows tucked or flared is fine. If you're trying to learn planche push ups (lifting your feet and chest off the ground), tucked is the only way to get your hands close enough to your center of gravity.

How do assisted dip/chin-up machines work? Do I need to increase weight or decrease?

>running GSLP
>want to add some hypertrophy

Should I do Chest strength then chest hypertrophy on the same day or chest strength then shoulder hypertrophy on the same day? I thought the latter would be better, hitting everything more often, but Wendler's Big but Boring has me doubting. Thoughts?

You stand on a bar and the bar helps lift you up. As you get stronger, you decrease the weight, because the weight is the amount of assistance. Think of it as taking weight off your body.

I think you should just start using steroids. There's no other shortcut to gains.

when you say 1/2/3/4, what stats are these?

How can you eat more without getting fat
If you eat healthy but a lot wont you get fat ¿
Help a dumb user :/

GSLP is a decent amount of hyper for someone less then 1/2/3/4. Time under tension and rest is how you get bigger so you don't want to mix days like that. There's a reason brosplits do body part focused days.
Plates in the big four. OHP/Bench/Squat/Dead
Eat 500kcal above your TDEE and lift. If you're getting proper macro nutrients and lifting you will gain ~minimal~ fat. There's no such thing as gaining weight without gaining at least some fat.

Hey Veeky Forums. I'm weak. Like stupidly weak. Like, can't 5RM his own body weight on bench weak. But I'm intermediate on every other lift, with my bench way lagging behind. Are there any critical points on bench form I may be missing that could help me add some weight to my 5RM? Or am I just gonna be DYEL for a long time?

>Hurt my back a month ago
>Go to doctor
>Get told it's pretty much just muscle spasms/weak lower back muscles

So... should I just resume what I was doing (rows, squats, dead lifts) with low weight and high volume and hope to improve my form or should I work out with machines for the lower back?

What do you mean by you hurt your back? Just an injury or permanent damage?

If it was just an injury, then yeah, just get back to it at a lighter weight and focus on form.

Consider alternating bench press with incline bench press for a bit, otherwise, deload and increase volume.

Maybe add dips as well if you aren't currently doing them.

Ref GSLP

So my current workout of
Bench day GSLP
Incline dumbbell press 3x15
Facepulls 3x20
Lat raises 2x12

OHP day
incline bench press 3x15
Curls 3x12
Tricep pushdowns 3x25

is probably a bad idea and I should reduce it to core GSLP? If I'm recovering okay is the extra volume really that bad?

I hurt myself doing rows; felt uncomfortable, not really sharp pain. Stopped doing them for a few weeks because it felt really weird to lay down, sit, etc.

Neglected glutes all my life and found them to be inactive with no real luck in getting things fixed. Tried squats, bridges and weighted bridges but no dice

Here's my current lifting plan. Incline Chest 21s are 7 Incline Bench, 7 Incline Fly, 7 Incline Bench.

Glute bridges are the thing. But the distance your feet are from your body determines how much hamstring and quadriceps involvement there is. And there's a narrow window where it's just the glutes.

Hand on your hamstrings, move your feet out until you can feel your hamstrings fire when you bridge up. Then move your feet in just until you don't have hamstring involvement.

Also, you'll want to work stretching on your hip flexors since those resist hip extension and can inhibit glutes from firing.

These are done without weight, BTW.

I think I'm benching mostly with my triceps. How do I get better pec activation? I can't pec dance or anything like that, and they look small, so I think I'm doing shit wrong.

Calculator says I need 2950 calories to bulk. Can I eat 2950 on work days and something like 2700 on rest days?

And you bench, what, 170lbs?

>And how do you deal with sweat on the machines?
Brign a towel, put it on the bench.

>what are things any new gym member should know
rerack your shit after you're done

Act like a human being

What is your TDEE?

How much lifting does it take to find happiness?

You'll need like 3300 on work days to do 2700 on rest days. Assuming you lift 3x a week.

Weigh 175 and 5RM is 155. Just getting back into the gym after honestly about a 6month hiatus. Probably be back up to 185x5 by the end of feb

Zero.

you're fine, you just need to work on your form.

I can't either. The answer is just to keep working on it. Make sure you're able to comfortably finish 3x5, when you fail deload 10% and work your way back up.

Yeah, so your total calorie surplus is maybe 800 a week if you work out 4 days. Think of things more as a weekly deal than a daily deal.

Like, your gains will be shit. If your goal is to gain weight, you will gain maybe .8lbs a month.

My honest advice is that your routine is too complex for your strength level, but I don't know you.

For the bench problem, what you should do is add AMRAP to the last set. Or perhaps switch your incline or alternate bench to your first exercise. Maybe consider doing dumbell bench presses if a lack of stability or balance is a problem.

No.

I'm a former athlete, wrestled in high school and then for a bit at college. Had to get out of the gym for the majority of last year due to junior year as an ME + 2 jobs eating up just about all of my schedule. Used to weigh 145 and do 185x5x5 on bench, but it's easily always been my weak point. I'd normally agree with you, but I'm not a huge stranger to the gym, just had a lot of consistency issues lately.

Already do AMRAP for last set on flat bench. Try to go up 5lbs a weak - generally following starting strength stuff until I move back up to a level that's not fucking miserable. My bench has always been by far my weakest lift though so I'm not sure if I'm missing a form cue or not

Post video if you want a form check.

Or you could watch one of the thousands of bench press how to videos on YouTube.

I'm a ntty lifter who has lifted for the btter part of 1.5 years. I went from an 85lb skelly to a 145 athletic build. I'm thinking about juicing after 5-7 years of lifting. I know very little about steroids. I am curious, after a few cycles, are you able to keep your gains from those cycles or do they go away forever.

already gotten form checked a few times, but I've had people randomly recommend things that have always helped. Like people always say "Retract your scapula" but when people also mentioned that I should be flexing my lats when I do that, my 5rm immediately went up almost 10%. Same for wrists, or that I should feel like i'm trying to bend the bar over my chest. Things that aren't super visible from form checks, but are big mental cues that I was missing.

To my knowledge you keep roiding or say goodbye to a good portion of those gains.

What exercises should I do if I can't do many dips or chinups?

Right now I'm an 18 year old senior. Should I lift until my natty potential, then roid during my mid 20s during the peak of my life and go back to being natty for the rest of my life. I plan to lift for the rest of my life much like my grandfather who was a former Olympic lifter.

any protips on hygiene? things like odor prevention while out, sweat stains and the like?
I am deafly self-concious

dips and chin ups

it's not recommended to roid until you are 100% done with puberty. Roids can fuck up your hormones permanently. Wait until you're at-least 23 or 24.

wear breathable shirts and trim your armpit hair regularly. I noticed that longer armpit hair (like more than an inch) gave me horrendous odor and I sweat way more.