Is starting strength a meme or is it legit? Asking as a total begineer

Is starting strength a meme or is it legit? Asking as a total begineer

Absolutely legit, do it, that guy must be a genelet

It's legit, and you'll grow. But you have to read the book and please don't drink a gallon of milk a day like an idiot.

Definitely a strength-oriented program, though.

Are you strong? Do you want to get stronger?

This
Don't do the milk even if you're skinny...
Just drink a glass with your meal like a normal person

I was 6'4" 150lb

SS + GOMAD took me to 175lb aesthetic.

If you are under 6' do half GOMAD if you aren't a skeleton don't do it at all.

Its pretty simple just stop if you start getting fat.

most people who have no athletic background will not have good enough hip and ankle mobility for back squats, yet ss has you do them 3x a week adding weight each time

SS + creatine + whey with milk is the way for the first 3 months at least

takes 1 weeks of stretching to have enough mobility. If your to lazy to do that your to lazy to do SS anyways.

It's a meme when people fuck around on it for years, aren't consistent, eat like shit, don't sleep, hit squats first (as you should) then don't bother doing the other exercises properly, etc.

It's called STARTING Strength for a reason - 3 or 4 months at MOST. Then move onto PPL or similar. Eat properly, sleep properly, be consistent, make progress, don't fuck around.

No one builds a good physique on SS, but plenty have begun on it then moved on to something more intermediate. Two of the examples in the "what I expected" part of your image are advanced lifters who use(d) steroids. One is a bit fat, the other is an Oly lifter.

As others have said don’t do gomad unless you’re mr skeltal. I’ve done it as a beginner after it got hard to recover from 5x5 sets then when squatting 3 times a week wasn’t going so well i went with an intermediate program. SS served its purpose but i feel like gslp would have been better to also gain some aesthetics along the way

Nice, just as side question, if I eat less then the recommended amount of protein per day for my body ( 6 ft 2 170 lbs ) and only eat like 110 grams of protein per day, what will be the side effects?

DRINK THE MILK

IGNORE SOYBOY POSTS

Nothing, you might stall out a little quicker. If you do up your protein and drink more milk.

Is milk a good source of protein? Can't seem to find any good protein source I'm not allergic to

You're not going to become a ripped behemot of muscles on Starting Strenght.
It's a starting program, that's why it's called STARTING STRENGHT. You would make less gains and you would look even shittier if you started on a body building program.

Tbh I didn't expect to get ripped. Just wanna build up some strength so I can feel good about myself finally

>hurr all training programs have to have the same goal in mind (being a bodybuilder>
>SS is a meme

SS is not a meme -- IF what it's supposed to accomplish is in line with your goals.

It's not a meme but YOU HAVE to read the book. It teaches you about good form and habits betten than what you can't get from any youtube video.

When you start strenght training most of your gains are neurological.

Starting strength is a peaking program for you to realise the strength that you already have the muscular capability to express. Noob gains appear to be mostly neurological i.e. your brain figures out how to best recruit your muscle motor units or whatever, how to use your muscles best basically. During this phase you should be learning and ingraining proper form.
When you plateau, you can either deload and keep pushing like rippetoe recommends, or not be a retard and change your training to something smarter. This is where you can start to grow some muscle. You will hit the main lifts a few times per week each and gather more volume from accessory variations. You want to figure out roughly your weekly MEV and MRV, and run cycles from low to high over and over, at a weight that gives you something like 2 or 3 RIR. If you don't know what these terms mean look them up. The weight suitable for each loft will naturally go up over time so don't worry about that, just work up to a weight at your target RIR number and if it's a little more or less than last session that's fine. Don't forget to deload every so often it's important.
I'm getting this from Greg nuckols' complete guide to strength training. But
basically when Veeky Forums said "only do SS for 3 months to establish a strength base" we were sorta right.

>good form and habits
This. If anything, you should read the book just for this.

is it likely to reach 1/2/3/4 through SS alone? either for reps or 1rm

Yes. I just do 1x5 and it's taken me to 210/355/405/415 for 1hrs (you can switch from 3x5 when it gets heavy)

*1RMs

If I'm still in highschool and moving from SS to PPL, is it okay to slow down to 3 times a week approaching exams? Or will this kill my gains?

I would do that anyway. PPL allows you to get sore as fuck. Sample push day for me:
>THE COUNTDOWN
5x5 bench
4x8 OHP
3x10 flyes, skullcrushers, front raises super set
2x15 dips
1xAMRAP pushups

I would not want to do that again in 3 or 4 days. Gimme PxPxLx and a 6-day "week"

>highschool
underage b&

Absolutely, IF YOU DO THE PROGRAM.

You need to read the book, understand each lift & it's purpose, know what the progression phases are & when to move to them, bust your fucking ass when you're in the gym, and EAT. You cannot eat 3000 calories a day as a fully grown male and make the weight jumps prescribed in the program.

Eat 4 eggs, 4 bacons, and a bowl of peanut butter oatmeal every morning. Drink 2 cups of milk with it. Eat a big lunch with milk. Eat a big dinner with milk. Eat peanut butter with crackers with a bunch of milk right before bed. Have a protein shake if you are under 200g after this. Track what you eat with myfitnesspal.

The SS program is SIMPLE, but it is not easy. You need to work hard in the gym, you need to eat a lot of calories, and you need to sleep a minimum of 7hr/night. You must do this all consistently. You will gain body fat, which is very easy to get rid of later (ideally once you have exhausted linear progression, before moving on to a new program).

Just be realistic. SS is a program designed to take a person through the entirety of the Novice phase into the Intermediate phase. You are not going to look like an elite athlete at the end of novice weightlifting progression, nor should you expect to.

Caloric requirements are different between individuals you imbecile.

Some grown men CAN make the weight jumps in the program on 3000 calories a day.

Just follow the program, don't follow idiots' suggestions and dogma on what you should or should not be doing in the program. Read the book.

Is 5/3/1 or 5x5 a good alternative?

Im currently running 5/3/1 but I'm worried that due to the slow speed I'm not maximising my gains. Best to finish off this cycle and switch to 5x5 or SS?

no. you might get 3/4 or 1/2 but to achieve all four is unlikely. proportions matter, genetics matter, previous conditioning matter. 1/2/3/4 is far from impossible but definitely the success rate is

>SS is a program designed to take a person through the entirety of the Novice phase into the Intermediate phase.
You didn't read the book, fuck you

why the fuck do people say to do ss and gomad

I started with SS back in the days and again after 5 years break. Both times I lost loads of fat, got good gains in muscle and lifted weight. It comes down to eat like a sane adult human being I suppose.

Does anyone remember when that chick on here drank a gallon of milk in one sitting and shit herself at work/got fired?
Easily my favorite thread of last year.

you should stop lifting and instead reconsider the choices you have made in your life

I did SS but without the squats and instead of milk I drank some soymilk (not a gallon though) to get some extra calories in. That was before the whole soyboy meme.

Unless you're severely under weight just do the program and skip the milk.

BTW you should only do SS for a couple of months. Don't grind that shit for 1-2 years like some idiots do. If your linear gains are done it's time to jump ship and switch to something different depending on your goals

>Non-whites
When will they learn?

4 whole bacons?

Meme. Without proper assesment and rehab/prehab You will fuck Yourself. If You for example can't squat bellow parallel, there is no way, that You will find this program useful.

StrongLifts is better. No need to do cleans unless you play football.

both are suboptimal for growth but it really doesnt matterr when you start. whats more important is learning the lifts, getting in the routine of working out, and becoming consistent.

I'd say read the SL website, follow it to the T until you hit 135 lb bench for 5x5. then switch to bb style training like PPL/Arnold split.

make sure your nutrition is right (protein 0.8-1.0 g per lb bodyweight, calories in/cal out) and dont fall for the dairy meme

>went from 2 main lifts a day to 1
>BFS: every lift once per week

SS is not a meme but you have to read the book and do what Rip says because there's a shitton of disinfo floating around.
Also you have to do power cleans but they're easy to learn.
Also you have to do chinups and shit on SS. And you can curl if you want to.

I am unironically doing GOMAD, but that's because my caloric needs on training days are 5-6k and I cannot fucking eat that much. A gallon of milk cuts that in half so I only have to eat significantly more than a normal human male.

As for the actual program SL is better imo, but you'll make plenty of progress on SS, sure.

>curl
not even once

This, except for dairy: dairy is fine if you can genetically tolerate it. Meat, eggs and dairy are the most bioavailable forms of protein by far and you'd be doing yourself a disservice by removing one from your arsenal without figuring out if it works for you.