Why do you guys continue to believe that low carb/keto is a meme? I legitimately have only been eating nuts, fish...

Why do you guys continue to believe that low carb/keto is a meme? I legitimately have only been eating nuts, fish, greek yogurt, eggs, chicken breast, turkey, fruit, vegies (lots of crock pot vegetable and meat stews), and Chipotle since December 17th (end of semester) and have gone from 230 to 200.

Pre workout I sometimes have like 4-5 frosted mini wheats or a slice of whole grain bread with peanut butter, but other than that I have the occasional carb with a very low glycemic index, mainly beans, brown rice, and whole grain bread.

To be fair, I have been doing daily cardio, which ends up being no more than a mile or two or playing full court basketball at my University Rec Center, but other than I'm not doing anything crazy.

This kind of nutrition is hilariously effective and those meming yourselves into "bulking" and "bear mode" are really missing out. This is the most effective cut I've ever had. Sure, my lifts have gone down quite a bit, hell I'm barely able to effectively push myself when lifting, but it's a small price to pay to lose 30 pounds in such a short amount of time.

What are your thoughts? Anyone else have luck with low carb dieting?

I don't think it's a meme it's the only diet so far that has taken care of my stomach aches and I've lost 20 lbs so far myself.
I've not noticed any hardships in the gym either.

You know what, here I am sitting with a fucking chocolate bar feeling sorry about my weight, but you actually convinced me. I'm going to switch to keto.

What resources do you use for keto recipes? I love making stews in my crock pot, so I'm mainly interested in that.

So you say you've lost 30 lbs in less than a month

OP here, just check my University calendar, my semester ended the 10th not the 17th, for what it's worth.

see correction, but yeah almost.

I'm this guy and I also lost 30 lbs in a month years ago when I went on a Very Low Calorie Diet. It's definitely possible.

Glad to see you're interested, I don't post here often and wouldn't do so if I didn't have a good reason too. I weighed myself this morning and was absolutely blown away and thought it was worth sharing. I had late february as a goal to get down to 200, but seeing myself this ahead of schedule is kind of surreal.

There are like a million websites with solid crock pot recipes, so whenever I decide to make a new one I just kind of draw randomly. However my most consistent ones have just been any assortment of either chicken or beef, with a FUCK LOAD of carrots, chopped celery, a few onions, and whatever seasonings I'm feeling. Powdered ranch is a miracle worker and turns the most bland stew into a very tasty dinner, garlic or chile powder also offers some variety. The stews are great because they last a few days, so after eating it for dinner one night it's nice to have it available as lunch/a snack for the next few days.

As for specific resources, I don't have anything in particular, I just avoid including starchy things in the stews like pasta or a bunch of potatoes. A few potatoes is fine, and interestingly enough boiled potatoes have significantly lower glycemic index than oven baked ones.

It's worth noting that before I started dieting, I was in a bad place nutritionally. I was very frequently hitting up fast food places for burgers, fries and ice cream right before bed on my way home from work, so some of the weight I've lost could be accounted for as "noob losses" for removing this entirely from my diet, but I still think there is some merit to what I've been doing.

>hitting up fast food places for burgers, fries and ice cream right before bed
Dude, I drove to McDonald's last night at like 3am just to get a couple of cheeseburgers and a chocolate milkshake. :) Thanks, I will probably get started on this shit tomorrow

Lol, I've been there man, they taste so good but after being off of it for a few weeks I no longer have the daily cravings like a used to. There was a solid week where like every night I was getting a 10 piece chicken nugget meal from wendy's with fries and a vanilla frosty, but every time I drive past that Wendy's I try to remind myself of the progress I've made and how awful I'd feel the next morning if I did give in.

Good luck tomorrow my man, I'll be looking for your thread in which you preach the power of low carb dieting in a few weeks ;)

You’re a fucking moron. You mentioned foods with Plenty of carbs. That’s not keto, that’s just eating healthy and cardio aka diet and exercise made you lose weight when you used to eat like shit and not exercise. Keto is retards that seriously don’t know anything about human health and just think
>hurr I’m going to be so shredded zyzzbrah finally I’ll get a gf

You Need carbohydrates to build muscle, not break down muscle, function, and carbs are the only macronutrient that can penetrate the blood brain barrier to fuel your brain regardless of whether or not you think you’ve tricked your body to use only fats for energy. It’s also moronic because a gram of fat is 9 calories and a gram of carbs is 4 calories, meaning you could literally eat twice as many carbs as the fats you’re consuming and STILL lose weight. It’s just stupid you can try to argue against basic human diet knowledge but you just come off as an actual retard

Dude, why the attitude? Why are you so angry? Why are people on here so shitty against each other all the time?

lol, no sir, most of what I was doing was keto. 5/7 days of the week I was only eating greek yogurt, veggies, meat, nuts, and a few pieces of fruit. I'm aware that beans, rice, and bread have carbs, but I only worked them occasionally for when I was getting bored.

Also, if you could read, you'd understand that my goal was not to build muscle. I was lifting very consistently while I was a fatass, but I really don't care about being big and ripped at this point, I just wanted to slim down. In fact, it's great, because I have muscle definition emerging from areas I didn't expect to have many gains.

You also tried to talk down to me and assert yourself as the dietary authority by using your 1st year exercise science major jargon, but you seem to not have a clear understanding of how your glycemic index works, so who's the moron?

He's gotta show that he's a fitness and nutrition genius by dropping buzz words on a fitness forum, I guess. I'd recommend that he checkout r/ImVerySmart.

I don’t need any authority or to prove where I am in my education I’m just mainly tired of seeing people talk nonsense about things they don’t know Anything about that can injure others and other people just accept it as fact and it starts some downhill trend of idiocy. Im also an asshole. I’m glad cutting calories and exercising helped you lose weight just go at it intelligently. I get that most of the people in this thread are beginners but just do some research or take a few classes at your local college if you can afford it

Edit: you’re just projecting, stay off reddit lmao buzzwords like carbs and calories? Go for a run bud

Look man, you have yet to qualify how exactly me eating sub 20ish carbs a day isn't following a keto diet, and even if I'm supposed to assume I'm horrendously wrong as to what exactly a keto diet is, what exactly are you trying to prove? I've had great success doing what I'm doing and felt that sharing that would maybe help others achieve ttheir own success. Are you saying that I'm improperly calling what I'm doing is keto? Or that what I'm doing is "bad" for my nutrition? Or that I have the definition of keto wrong? I really can't tell what you're point is other than to exercise your right to be a pseudo know-it-all on an internet forum.

I get that you're a wide eyed exercise science or nutrition major who thinks he has all the answers, but at least try to present an argument.

forgot to tag your post. So please, tell me how exactly I'm not following a keto diet, or how I'm talking nonsense about something I don't know anything about?

Already went for my run today, but yes, you dropping facts about the amount of calories per gram of fat or carb or whatever is really just entirely unrelated to how OP lost weight by limiting carbohydrate intake and optimizing his glycemic index helped burn fat, and you just mentioned them to seem like you knew what you were talking about ;)

>Im also an asshole
At least you got one thing right

Fruits, nuts, veggies, and Greek yogurt have carbs as well... my whole point is that keto is detrimental to your fitness goals and possibly your health due to how important carbs are to your body stop thinking I’m an exercise science major lol I’m in my 3rd year of grad school there isn’t an argument to Anything that I’ve said because there is nothing to argue about. Read my posts at face value as additional knowledge idk what else there is. I don’t care about persuading you I’m just givin some knowledge to the anons that happen to visit this thread we keep bumpin so others don’t jump in the same hole and maybe you’ll learn a little more too

Look, if you're really saying that a person on a ketogenic diet could not, under any circumstance, consume berries, spinach, broccoli, celery, almonds, or plain greek yogurt, I don't even know where to begin to tell you that you're mistaken.

also, how do you know what my fitness goals are? My one goal was to burn fat, which this diet that I'm calling keto that for whatever reason you fail to understand IS in line with a keto diet, has allowed me to do so. Hell, I bought a bunch of those keto testing strips that have verified an elevated amount of ketones in my urine.

Not a very good showing for a grad student, could have fooled me ;)

Nope I mentioned it to show that keto is a meme diet let me break it down so you can follow along slowly this time so you don’t embarrass yourself again. Say you consume 100g of protein and 100g of fat on a keto diet thats 400 calories from protein and 900 calories from fat for a total of a 1300 calorie diet (stick with me I know your energy deprived brain is ready to attack over these numbers, I just made them up as an example) now imagine how limited your diet is along with the negatives I mentioned previously. Compare that to a diet that is 100g protein 50g fat and 100g of carbs that’s 400 calories of protein, 450 calories from fat and 400 calories from carbs for a total of 1250 calories. So now you’re losing more weight, eating more food, and eating a healthy diet. The numbers are even more pronounced when you bump it up to calories that a male in their 20-30s eats for maintenance and now Hopefully you kind of understand why I mentioned the things earlier

brainlet detected

You mentioned that already and I didn’t ask what your goals are at all. I don’t care. Like I said earlier I’m glad you lost weight but it’s just from cutting your calories down from whatever the hell you were eating before. Good on you for cleaning up your diet from before you started I’m just telling you that keto is not a healthy diet and ketones in your urine isn’t something to brag about you smug fat fuck ;) ;) ;)

It's a weight loss diet for people too scared to take the /fast/ pill.

also worth mentioning, I've been eating around 1800-2000 calories per day. I've done calric restriction diets in the past to no success. I'm not saying that they don't work at all, I'm just stating that the diet mentioned in my original post is entirely inline with keto, and that it has given great results thus far.

I also can't help but notice that your position quickly changed from "that's not keto!" too "yeah that might be keto but it doesn't work!"

Way to move the goal post, "grad student"

Worth mentioning, I have been doing intermittent fasting while on this diet, although I find it hard to sustain doing regular cardio and fasting together. Any tips?

You’re really obsessed with schooling, have you been to college yet? You mention it in almost every reply. Once again there wasn’t a goal post I was just saying you had carbs in the shit you’re eating lol I don’t think you’re coherent or just trying to troll at this point so I’ll just let you snack on some keto carbs and let you read over some of these comments and maybe you’ll get it sooner or later good luck with your goals big boi maybe I’ll catch you in another keto thread

like I said, I'm not confident you know what you're talking about based on how frequently you're moving the goal post.

"What you're doing isn't keto!"
okay let me demonstrate that what I'm doing is in fact keto, can you show me how it isn't?
"NO I CAN"T BUT keto doesn't actually work you're just cutting your calories!"
okay let me prove that I'm not eating at a steep calorie deficit..
"YEAH BUT YOU"RE A FAT FUCK HAHA BTFO I"M A GRAD STUDENT"

What a waste of an education.

see for exactly the goal posts you have been moving since your first post.

Should I cut down on carbs though in my diet? Not like pure keto, but just maybe 100-120 grams as a goal per day if I'm eating around 1650 a day? Heard somewhere that if your body is naturaly thicc-ish you should reduce your carbs a bit.

>eating all that meat
>keto
Idiot.
Google gluconeogenesis. Half of the protein you eat is likely being converted to glucose... just like carbs would be.

requesting a higher definition version of this meme

That's the only one I got senpai, I think we gotta wait till the Blu-ray comes out for a more hi-def picture

Other than the fact the body prioritizes fat over protein for energy and requires a very minimal amount of glucose so long as it is able to produce and use ketones.