QTDDTOT

Questions that don't derserve their own thread thread

Old one died a death

Any decent videos or pages that give decent advice on doing stomach vacuums? I'm planning on doing them every morning and want to find out if there's anything I need to know.

Other urls found in this thread:

barbellmedicine.com/584-2/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I have lower back problems and I'm trying to strengthen my lower back with rows.

Is there any problem with doing dumbell rows until I get a stronger lower back? Likewise, is there any issue with dumbell exercises in general when working with lower weights?

What would you even expect to learn? Just suck your stomach in, hold it, and remember to breathe.

Is it gay to watch anal pov and imagine you're fucking a twink?

Also what is a sufficien amount of cardio excercise? I do like 1 mile a day of jogging, I feel like I should do more, but its hard, and takes a lot of time after my workout.

Is it safe to do bent over barbell rows one day and deadlifts the next? Or, should I rearrange my routine so they're on the same day?

I want to start doing some daily exercises. Because reasons, I have two exercises that I can do daily: running or cycling, for about 1 hour or so. What's the best for just staying healthy?

How much weight does water weight account for? How do I even get an accurate reading of weight?
>Weigh self after meal
>149 pounds
>Weigh self fasted
>141 pounds

Does fasting effect your performance?
I'm not talking physically I'm talking more mentally. Currently trying to ace my A-levels and I'm wondering if fasting will hinder my revision and memory functions.

Push-ups, planks, if you can pull-ups. Just doing some basic stretching and body-weight exercises should get you into good shape, perfect for otter-mode aesthetic. That was a surprising amount of dashes.

Depends on how far into a fast you are. If its within the first week, you'll likely be in a bit of pain, unless you're used to fasting, you'll also be a bit light-headed and won't really feel like "you".

Thanks, dude, I'll do it. I have a pull-up bar my brother gave me a while ago, but I just forgot about it.

Just asking though: Isn't just cardio good enough for basic well-being? I'm not knowledgeable in this field.

Try doing LISS. I biked today for 10 minutes on a stationary bike fairly low speed/intensity, then jogged on a treadmill incline for another 5 after my balls started chafing to fuck lmao.

Was ezpz cause I wasn't thrashing it. You don't need to be breathing heavy af after cardio, which is why LISS is so good, as long as you don't mind spending longer doing it.

Cycling > Running cause of the constant impact that can cause problems if you ain't careful. Also better for leg gainz.

I haven't started yet, but I'll finish my bulk at the end of January. I just need to lose my bulked weight whilst maintaining a A grade work ethic

Is my 500lbs diddly impressive?

Cardio will keep your heart healthy and stop your legs and posture from deteriorating in this hellscape of a digital lifestyle. If you're not in it for looks, I would still recommend doing so basic bodyweight exercises, you won't become a muscled up god, but it can make life easier. Don't forget to stretch though, stretching is godly for wellbeing.

Do IF. Essentially what you'll want to do is eat only two meals a day, I do lunch and dinner at 3 and 6 and then fast the rest of the time, just find two times a day that are relatively close and eat then. Also I don't think it will affect work ethic, but definitely concentration and ability to think clearly, especially if its a real fast.

can someone please convince me that squats and other compound exercises involving the spine don't cause injury if done with proper form? I read a few articles and the more I read, the more I feel I do not want to become a human vegetable if my spine gets fucked.

Usually 5-10lbs.

>How do you get an accurate reading of weight?
Take an average over several days.

Would it be a problem to have a small meal at 7am and then a big meal at 6pm? Would that ruin the point of a fast?

Would it be a problem to have a small meal at 7am and then a big meal at 6pm? Would that ruin the point of a fast?

I was doing some pull-ups today. I did five reps, rested, another five, then only three and then I could do no more. Naturally, muscles grew tired and got swollen, and I thought that was probably it for today. But, about 15 minutes later I noticed the swelling had gone down and so I tried and managed to do a couple more pull-ups.

How do I get the most out of an exercise? I don't know anything about this stuff, but I feel like I maybe doing either too many reps in relation to my current strength or that breaks between sets are too short.

Yeah that's not really a fast then. You should fast for at least 16 hours or more. You're body will adjust to your eating schedule, so whatever you do stick to it and you wont't get hunger pangs.

It depends on the exercise. With something like pullups, its to be expected. For heavy weigh lifting, doing 6-8 reps will usually tire you out for the day when you do more than 3 sets. For bodyweight stuff, you'll eventually reach an area where its mostly endurance training since you'll find it won't give you DOMS. I'd recommend doing more sets, and once you reach 8 reps easily, start adding weight.

There's generally a goldilocks zone for maximum input to output. You don't want to do too many sets amd reps as they'll kill your progress, equally you dont want to do too little reps and sets as then your wont se progress happen as quickly. Generally I aim to to 4-5 sets of 6-8 reps (mostly 4 sets of 8) and if I can't do that I either lower the weight or try to get as close as possible to that rep target.

The way I've been lifting is I do increasing weight until of 5 reps until I reach a weight I fail at (5 sets total). Is this a bad practice? Should I just find a weight and work at it?

I think I food poisoned myself by eating chicken that had been in the fridge too long. How long does this shit last? It's been about 24 hours. Should I be better tomorrow?

Thanks guys.

One more thing, since I'm basically starting out with any kind of exercises after a long time, doing just about anything that puts load on my muscles is bound to increase my strength, meaning I don't need to worry too much as long as I work out until I simply can't do no more?

How is this split?
Monday
>chest tri
Tuesday
>back no
Wednesday
>rest
Thursday
>legs/shoulders
Friday
>arms
Saturday
>cardio meme run

If you're lifting until you can't do anymore, you aren't doing enough weight. Aim for 5 reps if your looking for strength. 8 if your looking to look "big". Do like 4 sets, and if on your last rep you aren't struggling at least a little bit, do more weight next time.

Turn that back no into a back yes!

>arms day
Don't do this. You will be working your arms twice, since they are already being used on your chest and back days. Do a PPL (i.e. Chest/tris/shoulders, then back/biceps, then legs). If chest and shoulders is too much for 1 day, split it into another day where you do shoulders and accessory work. Do cardio every day you aren't doing legs, don't fall for the no cardio meme. Also cut it down to 4 days unless you have a high recovery rate, and if you think you might, you probably don't and aren't pushing yourself hard enough.

Why do people think one body group a day each week is good? Do you really think it takes 7 days for your arms to recover?

Thats a basic good concept. Have a look at some linear progression programs and learn more about it

I'm 17-18%ish bodyfat with an unsightly amount of fat in my cheeks.
Is there a chance said fat will persist, even down to 10-12% bodyfat?

Could I hit 1/2/3/4 in 2018 lads?
Current lifts in pounds
Squat 200
OHP 110
Deadlift 170
Bench 145

Goin on vacation for a month, will basic machines and body weight exercises (push ups, chin ups, squats, etc.) be enough to maintain muscle?

No. You will probably need another year or so. Don't be discouraged though, your OHP is your strongest lift, and that's where most people struggle. Also look into that shameful deadlift, you should be pulling way more than that.

The thing is I've been lifting for a few years now, and actually have respectable lift, I tried doing 531 a while back, and never really stuck to it. Now I'm doing a bastard program where I kind of just lift whatever feels right.

>can't reach 1/2/3/4 in a year
Maybe if you're a 80lbs girl

>implying he's not
Given where he is now, I'm assuming he's lifted for 6-12 months, and based on that and a host of other issues that are likely present, 1.5-2 years won't be off in most cases.

this

Lift heavy and eat big to get big, you fucking twink

Who should I go see about a muscle that feels like it's getting stabbed with a knife whenever I stretch it? What should I do about it?

The muscle on the inside of my left leg, the one that gets stretched whenever you do sideways splits has never felt right when I stretch it. It's not that pull/burning, it feels like someone is stabbing the entire length of it with needles. No matter what length of time I give it, it always feels that way when I stretch it. It feels like it seriously limits my ability to develop mobility in my hips because whenever I hold a stretch on it, it hurts for days afterwards.

I've seen people on Veeky Forums claim higher lifts than that in 3 months. Maybe they're lying, but you shouldn't take 2 year to get to 1/2/3/4 unless you have shit genetics, are tiny and/or are a girl.

The guy has unbalanced lifts (170 DL), so unless he's following an actual routine to the letter and eating properly, he' highly unlikely to add 230lbs to that lift. For me, that's the real standout, most people suck at DL, and hate doing them. Given an average non-larping lifter (unlike most Veeky Forums posters), I would not expect him to hi 1234 for reps (don't forget those are his maxes)

You'd expect him to hit 1/2/3/4 if he did follow a routine and eat properly?

What is the best, most effective, lifting regime to go from 1/2/3/4 to 2/3/4/5?

Possibly, though its hard to tell without current height/weight. If he were average height and around 150lbs to start, he could gain 20lbs in a year and make it. Though maybe not for reps. By for reps I mean 5+

>2
try 1.5 or 185. 225 OHP is unatainable for most people unless you roid or bloatmaxx

okay 1.5/3/4/5 then?

Don't want to make a thread for it bc it might get asked a lot, but what is the general Veeky Forums attitude towards keto diet?

bumping

I don't have anyone to reliably make sure i don't drop the weight on me like an idiot when doing bench presses. Any good alternatives?

I want to start doing carb cycling to get more lean but i dont know how im supposed to go about doin it. Ive been doing high carb day then low carb day repeat. Am i supposed to do more low car or high carb days? Myfitnesspal says i should eat 340 carbs a day so ive been trying to eat less than 200 carbs on my low days and over 350 on my high days. I weigh about 145 is that the right amount to be doing if im trying to get more lean?

Drag a bench into the power rack and use the safety pins

u don't need keto for weight loss and will feel better with some carbs during a cut. keto has no benefit except obviously having lower total weight loss due to shedding the water weight from carboHYDRATES

Im 5'9" 165 lbs. Those are my 5RM, Ive been doing SS for 4 months but only took it seriously and starting eating enough in december

Yesterday while cutting chicken, I sliced through a good part of my thumb. Think from the side of the thumb until you meet the fingernail. It took over 20 minutes to stop the bleeding, and I'm still considering if I should maybe get a couple of stitches.

How long is this going to fuck with my gains? I don't want to start liftan heavy weights and have the wound open back up again. I already got a small blood stain on my carpet when I tried to do pushups earlier

Wear a fucking wrap, you idiot.

Well, it works, but it might be more or less livable for you. Y'know, it's a sort of "Your mileage may vary" deal.

+You lose water weight stupid fast
+You can eat a ton of fat
+You typically get used to it
-You gain water weight stupid fast when you break it.
-You HAVE to eat a ton of fat
-You feel like shit if you're not consuming enough salts

What kind of lower back probs? Rows probably won't fix low back issues.
>t. Back surgery veteran

Im someone who has never lifted before (well I did 2 years ago but nothing heavy just fucking around in the gym at college) would it be possible to do SL5x5 while cutting and be able to progress as its asking (+5lb per workout)?

Thanks in advance.

Height/weight/age/gender? Useless question without context, but generally, you'll progress fine for the first few weeks, then when training actually becomes taxing, you'll stall. If you're already pretty fat, you can keep that going a little longer. If you're not grossly overweight, I wouldn't worry about cutting weight right away and just focus on building muscle mass until you have a reason to cut.
I'd also recommend doing SS since there's less volume, making recovery easier on a deficit and the source material for SS is 100x better.

Watch any world record attempt of squatting or deadlifting 1000+ lbs. They'll usually have sloppy form and walk away totally fine.
Anyone who tells you that lifting will cripple you have never lifted before and have no business having an opinion on the matter.

Im 21yo Male 5'7'' 155lbs down from 212 so my BF% is still pretty high as I made the mistake of not lifting during weight loss. About SS im conflicted as whenever I say I want to do SS I get told to do SL then when I ask about SL people say do SS. I just need a routine to get me into lifting regularly. I was orignally planning to do SS for 6 months to get through the 3 phases that are in the book.

I've been lifting for a little over a year and a half. I have never taken a week off or deloaded. Lately my knees have been feeling a little achy (I suspect it's squat form, I'm going to drop weight and be more careful). Would I suffer from any serious muscle/strength loss from taking a full week off? That is no gym whatsoever.
I feel like my knees just need a break. Anyone done this before?

Did you read the book? You should be getting close to the end of your LP by 4-6 months, yet your lifts are nowhere close. Do yourself a favor, read the book, do what it says, and you'll have 1/2/3/4 by the summer.
By the end of LP, for a healthy young male, you should have an OHP in the mid to high 100s, bench mid 200s, squat mid to high 300s, and deadlift mid to high 300s, all for 5s, and you should probably gain 20-30 lbs if you take training and recovery seriously. These results are typical and genetically gifted individuals can surpass these numbers. Anyone who thinks this is unreasonable has never done a properly executed linear progression(most of Veeky Forums).

>you should probably gain 20-30 lbs
In body weight?

SL is a less efficient copy of SS. Look at the author's achievements and experience and Rip wins by far. SL also recommends switching from 5x5 to 3x5 if progress stalls, when you should just use 3x5 in the first place.
At the end of the day, all the routines recommended on Veeky Forums are just programs based on compound movements for sets of 5, so you can't go wrong, but SS has the best model and best source material. You'll make great gains following the program as written.
Without seeing you and based off height/weight, I'd put a backseat to the weight loss. You'll stall early and spin your wheels. Either maintain or gain weight, then when you stall re-evaluate.

Thanks bro. I had some doubts but for real seems like the legends have really tested these methods with success so I'm thinking i'll be fine

Yeah. I know it seems like a lot, but you'll but on lean body weight more rapidly as a novice than you will later, and if you find yourself gaining more body fat than you'd like, just start tracking macros or just lose some fat when you hit intermediate levels. Fat's easier to lose than muscle to gain.
Here's a good guide on how to eat: barbellmedicine.com/584-2/

Read the examples he has towards the bottom of different trainees and do what you think is appropriate.

>SL is a less efficient copy of SS
So are power cleans better than rows?

Im worried about becoming fat again though. I just want to get my stomach and bitch tits down. Im super skinny fat rn. Will being on maintenance help with body recomp?

Depends what you mean by "better"
SS incorporates chin ups in addition to the power cleans and those both will stimulate upper back growth. Power cleans also help train power development, where as there's no power training in SL.
Rows are a useful assistance exercise, but should not replace cleans.

>it seems like a lot
As a life long skelly, I wouldn't mind gaining a lot more.
>over 250g for a 200lbs male
Isn't that a bit overkill?

Strengthen your back with well controlled deadlifts and hyperextensions. Ya know, low back exercises.

It's fine. Depends on your overall program, the volume, intensity, etc.

It's good, if you weigh 100 pull-ups in 20 minutes with this method.

Do an actual program.

Stupid as fuck. Do PPLPPLx, or PPLxULx. 1x per week frequency is garbage.

Any healthy adult male can hit 1/2/3/4 within a year of training if they actually try and are consistent.

Also you're squatting high if your squat is 17% higher than your deadlift as a beginner. Record yourself from the side to see how high it is.

His lifts aren't "unbalanced". He's just untrained.

Yes. Do a 500 kcal deficit, start light, and work your weight. Beginner lifters can increase their lean body mass, even while eating at a calorie deficit and losing weight.

Yes you fucking twink.

Take a week off if you want and fix your squat. I would still probably do some light lifts with like 50% 1RM.

obligatory shaming of myself. I'll take the flak if I get it. Can someone explain what 1/2/3/4 means or any variation of numbers separated by slashes? What does that represent

Yes, but ultimately you need to provide an environment for growth in your body. This early on in your training career, you won't be able to get strong weighing 155. You can get stronger, but not strong.
I had the same hesitations as you for a long time before I just accepted the fact that weight gain was necessary and have been much happier with my progress. Went from 165 to 215 at 6"1' with no regrets after I ran SS, adding several inches to my arms and chest, and not too much to my gut. Overall, much happier with my body comp.

1 plate per side (45 lbs) Overhead Press, 2 plates for Bench Press, 3 for Squat, 4 for Deadlift.

Have I been fucking up my weekly breakdown? I do 6 days a week, Bicep/chest, tri/shoulder/back, legs/core, in that order, with a break day after the second let/core day. Should I be doing triceps/chest or is this breakdown fine?

Do jaw exercises really work?

Not at all. The studies that produced the rules of 1g/kg or 1g/lb don't take into account serious barbell training. That, and protein isn't oxidized as easily and won't be stored as fat as easily either. When you get beyond 250 g is when you can start arguing there's no benefit, as there's not many people big enough to utilize that much protein.
As a personal anecdote, I found training and recovery a lot easier when I started eating 200+ g of protein per day.

I'm doing a wholebody 3 day a week program. Is there any point replacing the sets for a given exercise with a pyramid set on the last day of the week? Like instead of 3x8 do 1x8, 1x6, 1x4?

No.

How inaccurate is the Army bodyfat calculator? I'm 5'7", weigh 205lbs, and can see my abs. I got a 35% bf using the calculator

>5'7"
>205lbs
>Can see abs
You must be obscenely jacked, and probably not natty if this is true. Post pic as proof.

So we all know black coffee is a fantastic drink, but how can I drink it without causing my teeth to darken?

Alternate drinking it with white coffee

I’m on my 7th day of cutting, which is funny because I’ve basicaly been slightly obese my whole life and never respectably reached a good weight to start bulking. I’m currently 188 I think?? 5’11” just wondering if these daily calorie expenditure calc. Are right? I’m eating roughly 1100-900 cal a day but should I eat less/more?

Nobody except women that are 4' 10" and 90 lbs should be eating that many calories. Lift weights, eat a 500 kcal deficit. Stop doing meme dieting.

What is universally the cheapest meat and how do I cook it?

Usually chicken or pork, check your local market.
For easy mode, either grill or oven roast to cook them.

I don't get much pleasure from eating. Like junk food and sweets does nothing for me. So it's easy for me to eat bland healthy foods because it all feels the same.

Does anyone know this feel? Is something wrong with my dopamine receptors?

If I eat nothing but my healthy meals (chicken, kale, rice, brocc) then I don't think about junk food.
But if I have a candy bar I want chips, if I have chips I want soda, if I have soda I want whiskey and on and on.
I'm not sure if its proper willpower, but it is easier on my entire life if I just avoid junk altogether.

I’m desperate tho user. I did this back in 10th grade and dropped from 210 to around 175 in 3 months but then lost sight of it after lacrosse season ended and got comfortable, now I’ve been steady 180-190 the past 5 years and I’m sick of it, and I have great will power so low calories doesn’t bother me and I don’t crave or eat large calories meals out of hunger

for the past week or so, maybe two weeks, I've had pretty much zero appetite, despite even being hungry. wtf is going on? I've noticed that I even lost like 5 lbs thanks to only eating like a snack a day and tons of water

not jacked, but I am natty

Sometimes depending on my mood I don’t eat, which usually subsided after 2-3 days of being depressed or stuck on something that happened lol, just be happy you’re losing weight and don’t question it

Veeky Forums I need help

>flirted with this really hot girl out last night
>we seemed to hit it off
>went for the actually kiss she kissed back for a lil while
>she pulled away and said that she thinks I’m cute but she’s just gone through a bad break
>we texted for a little while, and she just stopped responding

I don’t know how to continue this further, and I figure someone on this board could help out

is it okay to replace chinups with curls?

Did Pharks, would recommend keeping chins and adding ISOs at the end of your workout. You don’t want to neglect compound exercises.

I don't understand why people on the internet love these """"variants"""" of good programs so much. Would you rather do the original program as written by an actual strong dude who's trained people with success OR some random nobody from reddit who thinks he's all that and modified a good program.

Anyway, rant over, you should do the original GSLP with the "arms plugin" that was in the book. Do chin ups everyday(including non-workout days) and then alternate weighted chin ups and curls on lifting days.

I'm at 166, 6'2"

losing weight is the last thing I want lol

She's an indecisive cunt, that's what.

No shit man, if you want any chance with her, just leave her alone. The fact that you might not be interested will drive her nuts.

Sounds like she's more trouble than she's worth regardless.