Self-defence course for women

Hi Veeky Forums, what kind of martial art or training would you recommend for women self-defence?

I took a short Krav Maga class last month, which focused on defending yourself against assaults. I understand that /fit doesn't like Krav, but I feel so much better with that small amount of ability.

>inb4 tits or gtfo

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HGZ4E-qUd1A
m.policemag.com/article/2742/revisiting-the-21-foot-rule
usnews.com/news/articles/2013/06/25/study-using-guns-for-defense-leads-to-fewer-injuries
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

> >inb4 tits or gtfo
tits or gtfo

tits or gtfo

a gun

Any shooting ranges near your area? Also get the book "Kill or get killed".

krav maga is the best for self defense. Most people do martial arts for the social side as well. Being able to "beat someone up" is itself something to be trained, and is very distinct from killing or crippling someone, which generally takes a low amount of skill and is very based on luck, not to mention usually you end up fucked up yourself or in jail. MMA is for being badass, GUN is for self defense or krav or running fu

Put it like this if you put rules in a fight like no biting, no eye gouges, no nut shots then someone trained in MMA, wrestling, bjj etc is going to destroy the guy trained in krav at the YMCA every single time but if you allow those types of blows it becomes much more of a shitfest. For example if you go for the side control and arent used to putting your shoulder in the guys face then the guy might bite your fucking ear off or something. Thats why its called martial ARTS not death fighting or some other edgelord shit. people who are interested in pure practicality have no business in hand to hand combat

nothing physical you can learn in a single afternoon will help you in any meaningful way when it comes to an actual physical confrontation.
When seriously threatened, go for the eyes, throat and groin. If you manage to create an opening, RUN and find help asap.
If you wanna learn to fight to increase your chances, you are gonna have to invest a whole lot more than "a short Krav Maga class".

combat pistol

>what kind of martial art or training would you recommend for women self-defence?

teaching men not to rape

become property of a man who can protect you

>Also get the book "Kill or get killed".
Do not do this. Point shooting is stupid. Most of the rest of the advice is mediocre as well.

Be be totally honest:
Sprinting

ohh shit son....

This.

Also tits or gtfo

As G4 ranked instructor under KMG, my best piece of advice: get a CCW and carry a pistol.

Krav, at its basis is just Boxing and Wrestling, with a focus on training situational awareness, it's not going to magically help you against a significantly larger opponent - it's just going to teach you how to get the fuck out of a bad situation.

The only thing that will save you if a 250lb thug wants to rape you is a pistol.

Kek

I really don't care what kind of martial arts you take, if I want to actually physically overpower you and rape you, there is almost nothing you can do to stop me. Men are so much stronger than women it's not even funny.
If you want to really defend yourself, you need to close the strength gap by getting a gun or some other weapon.
Realistically though, actual violent rapes are 1 in a million, even less if you don't live in a major city. Just have common sense.

You need to train self defense on a weekly base at least.

Fuck fit, Krav Maga is good.

t.
Wing Tsun manlet

I forgot to metion:

If you're American..... SUPPORT THE 2ND AMENDMENT AND GET A GUN AND TRAIN WITH IT GOD DAMN!

t.
Eurocuck

Gun-fu. You will not win a fight against a 200lb man unless you have a decade of training.

This or running. If an average grown man tries to overpower you, even if you see it coming, you can't fight him off. Learn to shoot a lethal weapon or learn to run.

>t. have fought experienced female fighters in kyokushin karate and nearly accidentally beat them unconscious after 3-4 months

>I feel so much better with that small amount of ability.
ahahah
you don't have any amount of ability. There's no 'ability' unless you invest 2-3 years of regular training to boxing, wrestling or/and mma. Try running, that's more of a short term solution

love this ryan hall video about 'best self-defence martial art'. Watch it
youtube.com/watch?v=HGZ4E-qUd1A

All these people ITT recommending guns. If you wanted to intimidate someone, a gun would work well enough. But there's a limit to the distance where a side arm would be effective if you're already being attacked. Heard of the 21-foot rule?

m.policemag.com/article/2742/revisiting-the-21-foot-rule

Honestly, I think not preparing for a situation where you have no other choice but to defend yourself is dumb, regardless of the nature of the assault. What if you can't run? What if you already lost your gun? Anything to close that difference in physical strength helps, yo. It's a lot better than not doing anything at all.

Literally the best way to avoid a fight/rape is to get away from it at the first place. Don't start shit. Always be aware of your surroundings. Never put yourself in a bad situation. Have friends around. Applies to both men and women.

Don't @ everyone and say some stupid shit. What you said doesn't make any sense.
I recommend a knife and some training with it OP (if a gun is unavailable).

What part of what I just said is difficult to understand? And training with a knife is still training for combat, dingus.

The 21 foot rule is some patent hogshit police constantly bandy about as an excuse to get away with shooting anyone for any reason because they're a bunch of donut scarfing chickenshits.

The indisputable fact is that defending oneself with a gun lowers the chance of sustaining injury or death compared to NOT defending oneself with a gun.

usnews.com/news/articles/2013/06/25/study-using-guns-for-defense-leads-to-fewer-injuries

Now fuck off with your tryhard, know-it-all-know-nothing bullshit

If you train to destroy, you will win
If you train to win, you will survive
If you train to survive, you will die.

If you're training for self defense, you should know you need to be prepared to kill. what do you do when your magic nut buster trick doesn't work? and anyway, don't you know, no one wins a knife fight.

What works for women is the same as what works for men. BJJ, Judo, Boxing, and that type of shit. Also, tits or gtfo

Bullshit. you don't know shit about self defense

you're fucking retarded. Tell me why I'm wrong

Not being a bitch
Being in shape to run
Conflict de-escalation
Firearms handling
BJJ or Judo

In that order.

>idiots using the rule to absolve themselves of guilt invalidates said rule
>assuming keeping a gun is applicable in places without muh precious fifth amendment
The 21FR still makes sense as a general guideline though. And I was just using it to help illustrate the point that there are times where you won't be able to use a gun. And then what?
>inb4 another durr just run
For the love of motherfucking god, I repeat: what if you have no other options left?

Because when people have adrenaline in their body, a 100 pound girl, versus me who weighs almost 200, shes not gonna be able to do anything. she needs to use things that even the playing field, Eg pepper spray to blind and run, or guns to stop the threat. Fighting is useful, but just 20 pounds make the fight very uneven, let alone 100 between me and a girl. But fighting definitely is good for you and should be pursued, but not as a way of self defense, at least for women. Guns are superior. Knives are just gonna end up with you and him dead.

Im not saying fighting is bad self defense, just for women who are heavily outweighed. them knowing how to shrimp and keep away from the person might help in a rape situation, until they start throwing punches, in which case, she lost.

>/fit
reeeeeeeeeee go back to pleddit!!!!!!

Pepper spray

I would either commit to learning something very well (as in so well that you can easily neutralize a man despite a significant size/strength disadvantage), or carry pepper spray/a tazer/gun

you're probably posing more harm to yourself if you plan on putting up a half assed fight against someone and making the situation worse

I'm going to just say that I think you're wrong. Knowing how to grapple and strike is absolutely critical in self defense (outside of weapons, which raise their own issues). The point of self defense isn't to beat the other person in a fight, it's to defend yourself until you can run away. Even with a weight difference, it's obviously better to know basic striking and grappling. In fact, even with a gun, I think it's still obviously better to know basic striking and grappling. I don't think that knowing how to fight is optional when it comes to self defense.

I agree knowing how to fight is important, but the big thing that can save your life is the gun. I would prefer having the gun to not.

>she lost.

>everyone thinking women can't fight
i have done trained a few different styles and been training for nearly 15 years, i have met girls who look like an average frame with more power than average tier gymbros. you guys are fucking pathetic to tell someone that they can't compete in a certain way because you are scared that they might immaculate you by being more powerful than you.
>as always i recommenced GOJU-RYU probably one of the best all round styles i've seen and it teaches the dirt stuff like ear drum busting, gouging peoples eyes out literately caving peoples heads in.
>also teaches pressure points so you can kill someone with a well placed blow, or disable them with a few