Why are machines bad

Why are machines bad

Other urls found in this thread:

startingstrength.com/article/lifts/why-barbells-are-better-than-machines-txt
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You can't incrementally load them the same way you can with a barbell, and they operate in a perfectly fixed path which can cause potential injuries. Also, they don't account for individual leverages, and you can't really do huge fatiguing compounds on machines

pretty much this

that being said there are some machines that make up for all the problems he said but not a lot of gyms have them.

>You can't incrementally load them the same way you can with a barbell,

That's not a machine

What is it then?

startingstrength.com/article/lifts/why-barbells-are-better-than-machines-txt

a contraption

A mechanism

a device

an instrument.

Machines aren't bad but they are a supplement to compound, free weights at best. They shouldn't be the focus of your lifting.

They can also be great injury preventors when you are easing back into lifting after an injury

"Bad" is too strong of a word. They just aren't as good as free weights.

Free weights > machines >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> being an obese nigger that doesn't exercise at all

TTheres nothing wrong with them for isolation. I don't think anyone even tries to use machines for something else. They are an essential part of basically any serious strength athletes workout. Even for powerlifters if their bench is lagging and they know a particular muscle group is the cause they are going to use machines to isolate that. As someone else already said barbell compound movements should be the focus just by virtue of efficiency

Machines are bad because they force a very limited range of motion for weight-bearing exercises that force the user to engage in awkward and potentially dangerous movements. Smith machines are perfect examples for this. If you are squatting with a smith machine, as many gym newbs are aught to do, then you are performing a squat you lean forward a fair bit or you will stress your back and knees. Because the machine is in a fixed vertical plane, it cannot deviate from its path, so you are trapped going exactly straight up and down. Ultimately it's personal choice though.

mark ripmytit said some shit about how you need a free range of motion for maximum gains

Way to prone to injury. When you're using a machine you eliminate a lot of the stress associated with lifting but not directly correlated to moving the weight through space. A lot of times you can push weight that's way too heavy for your bones, joints, tendons etc. to properly handle. This is why there are so many videos of egotistical dudebros loading up a small elephant on the incline leg press, only to get a couple of reps before permanently crippling themselves.

A doohickey

an apparatus

you don't develop your strength through them. I'm mostly talking about seated machines. You push down and back into the seat rather than using your muscles to stabilize the weight.

A finklewinkle

you actually can. It only becomes an issue once you get to the maximum allowed weight on the machine, Why only advanced lifters have issue with.

Terrible rippetoe argument

This. I bring a stack of magnets to the gym for my machine routine. I can currently do 123.275lbs on the Hammer Strength incline bench machine.

A means to an end

a seat with weighted handles

a thingamadjig

all the machines at my gym you can incrementally load though, they go up by five pound increments.

because they accomodate pussies

Machines were originally created with the intent of allowing injured individuals to work out around their injury. This means, limited range of motion, and isolation of muscles.

This is not inherently a negative thing, but it has very specific consequences involved.

First and foremost; the most regarded here on Veeky Forums. Large compound lifts are best for strength training, because they work supporting muscles and the CNS as hard as the targeted muscle groups. Large compound lifts, within a machine, do not train your supporting muscles as near as much due to the limitation of range of motion (the machine's structure supports the main muscle groups as much as supporting muscles).

Second to regard, is the value of the isolation they provide for accessory lifts and bodybuilding. I've never gotten a better tricep or bicep pump than from the isolation machines for those two individual muscles. Even preacher curls or tricep pulldowns don't do it like these machines. They are designed to hold all your leverages, support weight for you, and hit that single muscle hard. They allow you to fully work the eccentric, as well as the concentric, without worrying about how well your core can support them. This has both negative and positive aspects, and I believe this is why bodybuilders love cable machines so much, because it provides the easy control of negatives like a machine, but the stabilization is still required through the potential movement of the cable itself.

Third of all, some machines allow you to engage in movements that would otherwise be a large hassle to with free weights. One example that comes to mind is the leg curl machine.

>Because the machine is in a fixed vertical plane, it cannot deviate from its path

wat? yes it can, have you never seen a proper smith machine? Only thing smith machine does is stabilize the barbell, which does take away some pressure from the lift but not all the BS you said.

A piece of shit

Best one so far

>Only thing smith machine does is stabilize the barbell

Good, I don't want to develop all those muscles that stabilize things for me when I lift them. Fuck those muscles.

1.Less stabalization then free weight movements
2.Less exercise variations
3.Being forced to do certain movements in a certain way irregardless of the needs of the user
4.The ego of some people is tied in being able to lift heavy dumbbells

That's about it.

It's actually safer for new lifters and injured lifters and in terms of stabalization is inferior to dumbbell workouts.

these are not very common though

your mom's sex toy

What about being an obese nigger who's ruined their body from compound lifting and have shortened their lives from heavy exercise and steroid abuse?
Like basically every powerlifter and bodybuilder people here worship?

>have you never seen a proper smith machine?

Pic not related, right? Because that isn't a smith machine, you dumb shit.

Free weights are better than machines, smith machines, and whatever the fuck you posted for literally everything. The only thing machines are good for is that a choice FEW of them allow people too weak to do proper exercises to do substitutes that allow them to work up into the real versions.

For example, if someone is so cripplingly weak that they need a walker to move around, they will not be able to squat. A leg press machine will allow them to train, hopefully to the point they can ditch the walker. Likewise, someone either too fat or too weak to do a couple chin ups can use an assisted chin up machine or a lat pulldown machine as a substitute.

machines aren't bad I use them at the end of workouts because you don't have to maintain form or core stability. Only powerlifters that look like shit hate on machines

just don't neglect free weights

I guess it must be regional or something, I've been part of 3 gyms in my life so far, including 1 really small beat up gym at a rec center. The smith machine barbell could always move in 2 dimensions.

>lifting for functional strength
>2018
>shiggydiggydoo

/shrug

I started squatting on a smith machine until I reached 180 lbs, I could not do proper form squats with a free barbell. Dropped 15 pounds and used a regular barbell, took me about 3 weeks before I was back at 180 with proper form.

imo machines are good for people starting out who have almost no developed muscles, then hop on free weights after a month once they are strong enough. They are very good stepping stone, don't need to worry about shit form too much, easy to use, pictures etc.

> >$10000 for what a barbell, some bumper plates and a competent coach could get somebody to do

a space station

Idk but never seen anyone get swole using them except for the odd set of leg press or rows.

Hey dumb shit yes it is, google smith machine before you try to look smart.

>vs 50,000 that they'll have to spend on hospital bills and pills when all of that inevitably leads them to snap city

>muh snap city

because machines will protect you from your own stupidity.

pls respond i typed this for you Veeky Forums

use machine after you have fatigues those muscles from free weights you dumbdumbs

a miserable little pile of secrets

Machines with cables are good. Hammer strength machines are good too. Everything else, not so good. Maybe even bad.

Thank you, Veeky Forums.

A whachamacallit

What defense do you have for people who were trained and experienced snapping their shit up?

Hmm?

They've essentially crippled themselves to ego lift a few extra pounds.

Best machines:

Lat pull down
T bar row with a chest pad
Hack Squat
Seated dip machine

They are not bad. They are not a replacement for barbell lifts, but work excellent as supplemental volume

Chest supported cable rows are love

They aren't

Id also add the chest fly/rear delt machine

a shamaladingdong

Thank you user that was very informative.

i've literally never seen a smith machine like that in my life.

no u wasted ur time riting poopy stuff

This is not a good example because these are so rare. I saw one of these in all the gyms i've ever been in. And I really REALLY want one of these in my house

I don't get it. What does this do different? Explain to me like a retard because I've never worked out in a real gym.

u r poopy

i just hope somebody retained any of it, or that it helped anybody's perspective

to clarify, this is what I'm talking about when I mentioned a smith machine.

this is a maxrack not a smith machine. The difference is that its not completely fixed, as you mentioned. A proper smith machine is like

An amalgam of levers and braces for stabilization

a contrivance

A chair with a floating device around it.

they're all smith machines faggot

it's defined by the fucking rods next to the bar to make it "weightless" (if the machine is new), if it has that it's a smith machine

a thing

An object.

an exemplification of a general idea

a weapon to surpass metal gear

An aircraft carrier

that's actually a really neat machine. i'd love to have one of those in my clinic, but i'm sure it's expensive as all fuck.

>le free weights are dangerous meme

Didn't know soccer moms came to fit.

I promise you its more likely in total that more injuries have been caused by fixed path machines than barbell exercises, mainly because of joint damage from sheer forces.

A physical realisation of all your hopes, dreams and deepest fears amalgamated into a metal combination of levers and hinges

ISSA DIGIORNO

Or if it has this kind of weight stack just put 1.25/2.5kg plates around the pin.

a workout equipment

a paraphernalia

That's baby weight, you'll barely feel the difference

a gas chamber

Straight to le front page of /r/Veeky Forums!

"The Smith machine is a weight machine used for weight training. It consists of a barbell that is fixed within steel rails allowing only vertical or near-vertical movement."

>allowing only vertical or near-vertical movement

It's not defined by the "fucking rods next to the bar to make it "weightless"", it is defined by the range of motion allowed.

But all this is pointless arguing. I'm saying that the smith machine is bad because by design it limits the users ROM and is more likely to cause injury.

ITSA MAMA MIA

Thanks for the info

a fuckin leaf

metal gear?

include me in screencap pls

; ^ )

A Stephen King novel about a killer clown

The funny thing is, you're a retard who thinks that stabilizer muscles are some special thing that only kick in when you have to balance the weight. A smith machine squat uses the exact same stabilizers that a free weight squat does in the exact same way, because it's just the opposing muscle on a joint counteracting the force to hold the joint stable. The only way to lessen this is to lessen the overall work involved by lowering resistance, which using machines doesn't innately do. What they will do is get you used to a specific range of motion, making it feel awkward when you use free weights simply because you're not used to it.

a safety resistance trainer

Imagine how much energy can be converted from the physical movement of these tards, now that i htink about probably none since the fat cunts arent lifting shit and they barely generated enough force to break a sweat let alone power a cellphone battery

A t800

a white hole

Basically they cause imbalances. With free weights, if you overtly rely on one side vs the other, the bar will tip/wobble/destabilize. With a machine, you can totally favor one side (and your body totally will).

Basically machines are to barbells as barbells are to dumbbells.

Your mom