Are pullovers dead?

Other urls found in this thread:

t-nation.com/training/pullovers-bodybuildings-most-controversial-exercise
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

only if your black

dumb exercise

justify it.

just bench press

well it doesn't really make you ribcage bigger but might be good for the stretch time to time

>controversial
Fug, this is how I work my triceps... am I doing something wrong ?

>just bench press
it's not the same.

>am I doing something wrong
nope
t-nation.com/training/pullovers-bodybuildings-most-controversial-exercise

yes, you're doing everything wrong, pullovers are used to target lats not triceps, there are more effective exercises for triceps

>it's not the same
exactly. bench press is better

Fpbp

>bench press is better
It literally isn't you autistic fag
Bench doesn't do everything that pullover does

Only exercise I do for chest desu, since everything else inflames my shoulders

Well idk whatever I am doing wrong must be right cause this hits my triceps harder than anything else

you are probably bending your arms from the elbow

And pullover doesn't do everything bench does. Question is, do you want to train your pressing with heavy weight or overhead raises while laying down?

Different exercises for different purposes, famalam. Pullover is a non-essential, bench isn't.

>hurr durr if it uses the same muscle groups then theyre interchangeable hurr durr
ask me how i know you dont know a damn thing about exercise

You need to keep your arms straight otherwise you're doing Skullcrushers.

A part of triceps actually help lats to close the arm to body and of course the elbows aren't resting entirely during the pullover.

But do you actually know how to activate your lats at will?

>Pullover is a non-essential, bench isn't.
It's not like I have to choose, I can do both
I never even said that you tard

There are few exercises that can hit your serratus anterior so I would say they should be a staple.

youre still wrong. theyre two completely different movements and one is clearly better. If you don't understand that then I'm only left left to assume this is bait. But these days it's hard to differentiate from bait and just flat out stupidity on here

you don't fucking say

>theyre two completely different movements and one is clearly better.
they're for different muscles and if you don't understand that (and I don't see you explaining it anywhere) you need to fuck off

bench is overrated as fuck and totally fucking useless for doing anything but pressing from a bench

get a clue gymrat

Different user. Why do you think bench is essential? Dips hit the same muscle groups and unless you want man tots a big chest looks stupid imo.

Mostly, but I think if you do standing straight arm pullovers that they're an excellent tool for warming up your lats for deadlifts.

No, I prefer them to hoodies.

Is that why NFL coaches use it as a strength and fitness test?

I do them.

the combine tests are meme shit that have nothing to do with actually playing the sport

I personally do 3 or 4 sets of Skullcrushers and after that 3-4 sets of pullovers.

Shoulder destroyer

just like everything else that involves not keeping your shoulders flat against your sides right?

>upper body pressing strength has nothing to do with the sport
>lower body explosiveness has nothing to do with the sport
>sprint speed has nothing to do with the sport
Lad. Why you have a chip on your shoulder about bench I do not know, but you cut this bollocks out because you're not convincing anyone.

>t. chestlet

superset that with preacher curls

you know what throws all those stupid numbers out the fucking window?

putting on the fucking pads and the uniform and actually being in a game situation, all the combine tests are for is so scouts can pretend like they have a fucking clue

you're just like them, jacking off to pointless numbers

I do them but on a different day. However, I'm pretty sure I don't have the perfect routine so I might look into that.

I'm sure all the other guys in the gym love your big tits my dude

heh

>not close grip bench and tricep pushdowns

Yes.
The barbell or dumbbell bent-arm pullover has a primary target of the latissimus dorsi, and it comes from an era when the lat-pulldown machine did not fucking exists, and when not every gym had pullup bars. There aren't a lot of ways of directly targeting the lats, even though lots of exercises use them, and most exercises that target them hit other places, for example, supinated grip barbell rows will hit your lower back too and that might need today off.

only if you already have a lat-pulldown machine or a place to do pullups. without those, in an old-school 1960s gym, you'd probably be doing pullovers

long head of the triceps is a synergist in the movement. like i said, not many exercises that target the lats, and all of them that do target the lats, usually hit other stuff too.
he is correct that there are more effective targets for the triceps, but that is beside the point, pullovers will work the triceps even though they aren't the primary target of the movement

skullcrushers lower the bar to the forehead, pullovers go over the head.
pullovers can be done either straightarm or bentarm, the bentarm variety will have a constant bend, the straightarm variety will have only a little bend in the elbows at the bottom of the movement. regardless, both will involve the triceps to some degree

"activation" is a meme. you literally cannot do the movement without the lats firing, just as you can't squat without your glutes firing, etc.

>Pullover is a non-essential, bench isn't
no exercise is essential unless you compete, if you compete, then either squat-bench-dead or bench-dead or snatch-clean&jerk are essential, if you don't compete then nothing is essential
>bench essential
ever hear of weighted chest dips? db flies?

some are memes, some aren't
bench where they're not benching so much as they're bouncing is a meme
40, vertical, time in the skills drills, not so much

>"activation" is a meme. you literally cannot do the movement without the lats firing, just as you can't squat without your glutes firing, etc.

It's more than 0% activation vs. 100% activation, but you're of course right if you're training point A to B like olympic lifts. Bodybuilders could find the feel useful even if you can do without.

>skullcrushers lower the bar to the forehead, pullovers go over the head.
wrong, you can do skullcrushers without the bar coming over your head it'll be the same.
>pullovers can be done either straightarm or bentarm, the bentarm variety will have a constant bend, the straightarm variety will have only a little bend in the elbows at the bottom of the movement. regardless, both will involve the triceps to some degree
Wrong, your arms should stay locked throughout the ROM.

thanks for the advice bro

wrong, skullcrushers are named SKULL crushers because the bar, if it fell out of your hands, would crush your skulls

Also, see any video of straightarm pullovers, there is always some slight bend allowed at the end of the range of movement, if the weight is light enough that you can keep your arms perfectly straigtht, it's probably not enough to help your lats

activation is a meme, if you're doing a movement at over 80% weight or doing a movement to maximum reps, you're fully engaging that muscle, it's literally impossible not to
yeah sure a guy who deads 5pl8 might lift 1pl8 without his glutes, but it wouldn't look like a deadlift, the form would be obviously off, and by the time he's got 4pl8 on the bar, he's using his glutes

>if it fell out of your hands, would crush your skulls
You misunderstood me. Keeping the bar above your head isn't required for a skullcrusher, you can move it back and still have the same results while having better safety.

>slight bend
sure, but SLIGHT. And that isn't the proper way to do it, that's half-repping it to an extent.

and yeah it's actually called the lying french press

A lot of movements, the isolation ones especially, can be done using the wrong muscles. The big compound movements not that much.

One example where activation is how they say to activate the traps during bench press even if you can press without traps, because they "only" stabilize the movement.

Oh boy. You're embarrassing yourself.

>strength and speed means nothing in a real game!!
u

>hurf durf footballing the football is the only football to football the football FOOTBALL in spite of all evidence to the contrary I am the only one who knows how to football correctly
t. rapidly decaying boomerdad who missed out on a scholarship and is now torturing his equally untalented son

your response to his wording makes no sense though. he didn't even properly set you up for that punchline...

but hoodies come as pullovers...

So a team of world class sprinters with 400 clean, 600lb squat and 225 bench 30 reps is going to perform at the same level as a team with slow players and half those numbers?

Have you ever played football with strong players? It's a different fucking game

It was a joke.
And I was under the impression that hoodies and pullovers are distinct types of garments; I was wrong.

It's practically worthless as a chest exercise. It's only good for hitting this thing here
>serratus anterior

It's cool bro, I actually read your joke and laughed when I saw it.

*you're

yea these fucking kill my shoulders. my form is most likely shit tho