Ab Wheels

Are ab wheels a meme or are they of real value for core training?

Redpill me on ab rollers.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=atkbT_JEZLA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

you can use it as a good ab exercise or as a good lat exercise
anyways, they are fancy

Is there any real difference between them? Or is it just build quality?

the roller type in op's pic will likely roll smoother due to having bearings instead of being just a stick and wheel. the movement being jerky can torque your spine and without bearings on some surfaces like thick carpet rolling can be jerky. you could use gym rings instead as those provide a smooth rollout. a barbell could work too. or you could simply put slippery socks on your feet and do reverse rollouts. lookup bodysaws for a demo.

nothing is better than ab rollouts

What lat exercise?

my gym has this type of ab roller. is it the same thing?

Of course

I use an ez-bar with 2.5lbs weights, works the same way

Would you say this is better or worse than a centrally controlled wheel? I feel like you're using less stabilizing muscles grabbing a bar like that.

after the first time i used an ab roller i understood that prior to that day, i had never truely worked my abs

this x1000

>those abs doms after the first time with one of those

my problem is that there is such a huge difference between knee rollouts and full rollouts.
I can do 5x10 slow knee rollouts keeping a hollow body the entire time and I cant even come close to the full body one.

Why am I feeling much more abs doing crunches than this

because you aren't doing it right.
It takes some time to know how flex them

ikr
i can do 1 whole ab rollout with straight body
thats it.. feels fucking pathetic, but its a start

As a gymnast, I can tell you that ab rollers are some of the best exercises for ab STRENGTH and STABILITY. It places you in a mechanically disadvantageous position, where only your abs and lats can hold you up. The key to doing them proprely is to have
1) basic hollow body strength(you wont be able to properly use your abs in ab rollers without it)
2) really focus on keeping your spine stable using your abs (neuromuscular connection and form)

The guy in the pic is a perfect example of arching back and placing all the pressure on hips/shoulders, or in short, poor form.

My recommendation is to do them with loose dumbbells rather than actual rollers, as they are smoother and dont have a rotation limit that ive heard normal ab rollers do. Start on your knees, focus on getting a bit isometric at the end. Filmyourself to check form. When you have good form and feel strong, do them on your feet. These are quite hard.

Additional tips:

Keep your arms locked out
Shrug your traps up

This will help create the correct tension to make the exercise work.

If you do it correctly, you will make massive strength and stability gains, especially in your lower abs

I agree with everything except for
>muh lower abs

Two wheels is propably more demanding on arms and one central wheel targets obliques and balance so you don't tip left or right.

>Lower abs
Yes but you're neglecting the goat
Hanging sit ups with free weights
Picking up two loose plates while upside down and swangin it strict will decimate any ab wheel ever

sit ups are a hip flexors exercise.

ab rollouts are actually among the best lower ab exercises available. hanging leg raises are better for lower abs, sure but im not gonna waste time when i can just do ab rollouts and call it a day.

I feel like leg raise hit much more my abs than the abs wheel.

What doe RKC stand for? It looks like a hollow body plank
and what are your strongest static holds on rings or other hard stuff you do.

mine is a meekly single leg advanced FL and an open (advanced) tuck straddle planche, trying to extend legs to straddle.

>Hurrrrrrrrrrr

Ay
Hol up
>Hurrrrr

what’s the correct form on this
i can do these on my knees all day and not feel much

not having a hollow body = not having a flat lower back is the biggest mistake everybody does.

they're incredible for ab training, but you have to use your abs to do the exercise. you can really shred up your ab muscles with this thing, it's the only thing i think has ever given me ab doms.

athleanx has a pretty good video on it

RKC = Russian Kettlebell Challenge.

Just a specific form of plank from Pavel.

Here's your daily pill, user.

Correct.

I found that having a real solid hollow hold on the floor gave me the right positioning do do rollouts correctly, specifically how to keep my pelvis in ATP and the abs as the main mover throughout the exercise.

It's not worth doing rollouts until you can keep your lower back glued to the floor during a hollow hold.

I did them a lot. They were part of my back herniation rehab. Now I can do them standing. Excellent workout for your abs.

squat and deadlift are meager ab exercises

"No"
t. Mike Israetel

"yes"
t. facts

Dude if you just squat and deadlift without training your abs you will wreck your shit up. Believe me.

One wheel going to work lats more,two you can roll out a bit and also work your pecs.

mmmmh should I believe some random shitposter or a well-respected PhD who knows his shit and actually lifts?

What a though decision!

user, you're probably still a beginner. If so, core is the weakest link and many at that stage find that rollerblading on their meme wheels is good for them. But seriously, you'll find no serious lifter wasting time in training abs directly. At best, hanging leg raises and the like are the average exercises kids do before summer to get "toned" (and the indispensable tool for calisthenic fags since well, they're doing calisthenics)

t. DYEL

Im thinking about trying it out with a dumbbell next workout, but why would you want to train your abs different than other muscles? why not choose an exercise where you can increase the weight?

Anyone have an actual progression routine?
I'd like to work my way up to a standing rollout, but everything I see online says using an incline is the next step from the kneeling rollout - and home gym master race here, I don't exactly have giant incline to roll on.

>But seriously, you'll find no serious lifter wasting time in training abs directly.
feel free to kys anytime
>t. DYEL
not an argument brainlet

Kneeling ab wheels aren't too bad, but full-body ab wheels are fucking black magic that only the divine can achieve.

>ab roller on knees
>weighted

bertstare.gif

Do you have rings? That's what I'm using currently.

I started with the rings at the floor, kneeling. Then I stood up and put the rings slightly lower than the knees, and I'll keep lowering them until I'm standing with the rings on the floor.

>inb4 bullshit
Rings are slightly easier in the same position because the arc is somewhat like an incline. It's still an amazing workout.

I should note that I did planks, hollow holds, and leg raises prior to starting the roll outs.

I can't imagine starting from nothing.

It'll be fine if you just progress to standing.

you may find weighted a better core workout than standing depending on levers

ahah that fucking faggot.
yeah you'll always see some retard doing seppuku exercises, just for the meems
>kys
ahah yeah, shut up and lift, DYEL. The fact that you're a DYEL _is_ the argument, re-read the post you're quoting and then proceed to educate yourself on appropriate, competent sources rather than watching memesters on Youtube (or, even worse, Veeky Forums).

that's a world record deadlift holder you ignorant twat

You're hanging rings from a bar or rack, and holding on to them to "roll out?" I think I'm visualizing what you're saying.

it depends a lot on your levers

People keep saying this exercise is best down with a hollow body without explaining what that is

Don't do this to me

That guy is on enough gear to kill an elephant faggot.

it's basically a posterior pelvic tilt held by a powerful ab contraction. rock your hips forward and flex your abs. that's kinda what it feels like. when you're doing an ab rollout your low back tries to go the opposite direction so holding this position is useful for preventing spinal flexion. it isn't necessary tho it can help

Standing jacks up my hip flexors a lot more than kneeling.

I couldn't do one about 2-3 months ago. That's about the time I started squatting again. The full rollout is harder than Dragon Flags by far but that might be because I've been doing ab workouts like every day for a couple weeks after I realized my core wasn't shit.
But yeah, just keep trying and you'll get it down. Make sure you're not doing it on a slippery as fuck floor like I did the first time I tried since November a couple days ago. Terrifying.
And if your abs are fried, that's not an indicator of you being unable to do it properly for reps. I failed a fucking wrestler plank immediately right after I did my first rollout a couple days ago. Last night I did a wrestler plank for 30 seconds on my first attempt.

Its great if you have low bf but in my opinion ab wheel is a boring exercise

>typing this while i have ab doms from ab rollouts
goat

Awful rectus abdominus activation which is what gives you a six pack. Very functional though. Do it you want but do some crunches too.

not the guy you're replying to btw
there are two explanations:
>1. he's just doing something stupid that is unnecessary
in this case, ab exercises are not necessary
>2. he is a world class athlete and so in order to squeeze the last bit of efficiency out of his lifts he overtrains even things like abs
in this case, ab exercises are not necessary for you, because you are clearly a dyel

Planks are a superior exercise imo that is similar but more effective to really work your core

A 2 minute plank gets me so exhausted I'm shaking by the end of it

Ab rollouts you just keep doing them and doing them and doing them and don't feel as tired. I have to do them for like 5 minutes to go to complete failure, rolling all the way out like superman. You also have to constantly be mindful to flex your abs in so you aren't working your lats instead

There's zero chance you do standing rollouts

Abs aren't made in the gym user, they are made in the kitchen.

You can have fantastic functional abs, but unless you are under 12% body fat (for some people single figures), then those abs won't be visible.

Getting to single figures of body fat and maintaining that is a hard ask.

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES

You're an idiot

Abdominal muscles respond to hypertrophy like any other muscle. Working them out makes the bigger.

And the saying is abs are made in the gym and revealed in the kitchen

Hernias aren't prevented in the kitchen though

This is a meme unless you're a fatass, I dropped under 10% in college binge drinking weekly.

it's literally just a straight arm lat pulldown/dumbell pullover with the added risc of snapping your back, no thanks

why are ab exercises not necessary user?

The kind where people are too much of a weak bitch to do pull-ups.

Here's a video of it being done from the knees.

youtube.com/watch?v=atkbT_JEZLA

>you'll find no serious lifter wasting time in training abs directly
Haha, are we just making shit up now?

yeah a guy with the heaviest raw beltless deadlift on planet earth is just doing a stupid unnecessary exercise. kys you stupid fucking retard.

false. see

I tried it the other day and I think I did it wrong
My lower back hurt for a month

>Keep your arms locked out
is this a bait? there should be a slight bend at the elbows

how many sets/reps do you guys usually do?

Think about how you use your lats in a pull up, now imagine that motion on the floor using an ab wheel and you have your answer.

>mfw can't for the life of me achieve good form and always end up using my hip flexors and fucking my back up
I have to keep cucking myself to only GH developer situps and planks

Supposedly great, but I can't perform a good rep for the life of me. I suspect APT makes it put too much strain on my lower back.

You should be arching your lower back a bit when doing it man, once you start feeling tired in your lower back you're obviously already fatiguing your abs, and your body is using your lower back to complete the movement instead.

>the fuck, how are you not aiming for bulging abs, piss off.

I don't know, the pain comes already after a few reps and my abs aren't burning in the slightest.