/fast/ #88 - Please create a new thread earlier edition

>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>WATCH THIS BEFORE ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS
youtu.be/APZCfmgzoS0
>WHY SHOULD I FAST?
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/

>Weight loss
>Better skin
>Autophagy

>WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY?
It's when your body takes apart useless, shitty cells. (Cancer cells, cells with broken protein, acne, loose skin, etc)
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-mtor-autophagy-1/

>FASTING FUCKS TUMOR GROWTH
youtube.com/watch?v=LGafhm1cuSI

>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
>take around 4700 mg of potassium per day max
>2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day max
>MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated.

>HERES WHY YOU ARENT ACTUALLY HUNGRY IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 8% BODYFAT
youtube.com/watch?v=dFT2IKmwyfg

>WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!-- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.

>WONT I GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND DIE?!
You don't have the willpower to fast to death. Now look down. See that large bulbous gut? That's food. Thousands and thousands of calories stored and ready to be consumed by your body.

>WONT I LOSE MUSCLE?
This is the coolest part about fasting. Your body remains very anabolic when you fast.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
"Our results suggest that a fasting program in conjunction with resistance training can decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

>Sugar is more addictive than coke
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144

that's probably what happened, took ~500ml as lunch. Not worth the outcome, really helped with satiety though

someone mentioned cole looked like he was on the spectrum a few threads ago and i realized he definitely has a limited form of downs, easily recognizable in the face and voice

Can I drink diet soda? Why our why not

42 hrs into an indeterminate water fast. Expecting 3 weeks. Have Snake Juice at the ready for the foreseeable future. Time to deal these last 25 lbs an expedient coup de grace.

So I guess I gotta find some supplements for the potassium to get my hydrating drink. Will give it a try I've never fasted more than 16 hours unless sick

wtf is this shit

I'm currently 48 hours into my water fast that is planned to last 7 days.
185cm, 79kg (6'1" 174lbs).

I know I'm not overweight but have a really bad body composition so I know there is fat to burn. My plan is to put back on the weight but to do so while doing some body weight training.

Questions:

1) I only have a 50/45/5% NaCl/KCl/Mg,Ca,... source for salts other than NaCl. Is the 2000-3000mg/4700mg NaCl/KCl limit in OPs post the pure Na and K content or the the total weight of the salt?(e.g. eat 2-3g cooking salt or 5-7.5g?)
2) I have not been shitting since I started but heard that I should expect diarrhea. Since I haven't experienced that yet: does it mean I have too little salt intake?
3) Breaking fast. My plan: vegetable broth=>cooked vegetables=>rice=>raw veget=>...I heard that when breaking fast you should have some food intake ~every 2hours. But how fast should you proceed in the food order (broth,veg,rice,..)? When can I eat my first Big Mac/Donut,...?

3 days into keto diet
How do I know when it's working/when i'm in keto?

also on a water fast can you drink broth like miso soup et al?

Star Wars: The Future We Chose

urin test
wanna know why it's called water fast and not soup fast?

Buy Keto test strips.

Nothing but water, no broth.

are the strips worth it?
also whats the difference between broth and water really, amount of calories in miso soup is near negligible

Atm I feel like absolute shit and i'm starving, is this keto flu?

They aren't super accurate, but they are decently cheap. They can help guide you into Ketosis.

Water has zero calories. any calories will restart your metabolism and raise your insulin levels.

Might be the Keto flu. It sucks but it will pass and you will feel much better.

make sure you are getting enough salt/potassium
also shorter eating windows makes it easier to stay in ketosis

1.) Na and K content respectively, if I'm reading your post correctly. 2-3g of sodium daily is general advised, with up to 4g K on top.
2.) From personal experience, the raw shits that usually accompany an extended fast don't occur until sometime past the 36 hr mark. Regardless, if you haven't eaten in the last 24 hrs, the role of thumb is NEVER TRUST A FART.
3.) AFAIK, breaking a week-long fast doesn't need to be more than a one-day endeavor. You should be all clear after ramping up; your plan looks good to me user-kun.

In my experience you should be mindful of how many carbs you are taking in. I try to slowly and steadily ramp it up.

Why would you put that shit in your mouth. You might as well lick dirty ass.

Artificial sweeteners destroy gut biome and cause IBD/IBS. They also leave you feeling hungry.

Don't be a faggot and keep it to water, coffee or tea. No milk no sweetener.

how sparkling ice if I'm fasting mostly for weightloss?

Day 4 of my fast. Wasn't hungry on the first or third day but hungry today. Anyone else experience that?

I understand the allure but it will end up making it harder.

Can somebody with experience in omad give some insight please? I feel like I just don't have energy throughout the day. Is it good for cutting then?

Thanks for your helpy.

What I meant concerning the minerals was: He tutorial suggest a sodium intake of 2-3Sodium g max ( so I would aim for 1.5g). Na(Sodium) has a molar mass of 11. Chlorine 17. So if you eat 28g of cooking salt (NaCl) you receive 11g Na and 17g Cl. So is the maximum allowed amount 3g cooking salt or is it (11+17)/11 * 3g.

Also another consecutive question:

What do you think about my plan to start 5:2OMAD afterwards? One issue that I see about that is that since I want to train/regain weight (even add some on my initial weighti in muscles) I'd need to eat quite a lot of calories each big meal to gain an calorie excess. I'm unsure if my stomach would be able to hold that much at once. Or is it better for me to continue with a normal healthy 3 meals a day plan since I don't ahve weight issues anyways?

I see. guess I'll just keep it in the fridge till I finish my fast

During my fasts, between hours 30-70 I feel godmode. Hours 100+ are really hard. What's happening?

>someone mentioned cole looked like he was on the spectrum a few threads ago and i realized he definitely has a limited form of downs, easily recognizable in the face and voice

I know you're just memeing (I hope) but downs syndrome is not a spectrum. He's just Canadian give him a break

I quit diet coke just to fast and I find it much easier without it, just one anecdote
I hear conflicting things whether or not the artificial sweetener raises insulin levels regardless of calories and I thought it better to not take the chance.
I'm not using anything for caffeine either and I fee way more relaxed. If you're tired or foggy without it try some light exercise

36 hours into dry fast with teeth brushing and short showers.
How do people do complete dry fasts? Don't any of them have jobs they have to smell decent for?

you stay home those days. Like a 3 to 5 day weekend. Dear god don't drive on a dry fast

I'm not driving, but I'm catching the bus. But someone people say they do 3-5 day dry fasts twice a month. With a full time job I don't see how that's possible

What are you eating for your meal?
&
Is it a new diet?

I watched the videos and done some reading, now I'm trying to apply it.

I'm trying to gain weight with muscle. All the caloric estimates I've consulted put me needing between 3500 and 4000 calories. Is it possible to receive the autophagy and ketosis benefits of IF with that caloric load? My plan would be to limit my calorie intake to a consistent 8 hour window with no cheat days. Let me know if I'm missing something or being retarded in search of lean gains.

>drink water all day
>pee is constantly yellow
>can also smell everything
got a whiff of some girl when I was shopping and I turned my head to exactly where she was. fucking weird.

24 hours into current fast. Goal is 72 before breaking for one large meal and starting again, this time for 48 hours.

I thought it would be a lot harder than this, not going to lie

What is the consensus on nicotine during a fast? Smoking/gum/patches whatever

Can I get the 4700mg of potasium in the daily meal instead of the water?
If so, what foods can I get the potasium from?

don't you get holidays? sick days? thats how

the 4700mg of potassium is not for when you're eating, read the sticky, watch videos, do your research

Are small 24 hour fasts like once a week effective?

for what? Autophagy? No. Weight loss? Yes as long as you aren't over consuming on the other days.

On my third day. Felt alright.
Went to go take some Snake Juice, could only drink a few sips before vomiting fucking everywhere.
I think I've got too much Sodium and Potassium in my system. I won't drink anymore for the next couple days.
And to be honest, I seem to feel better now?

How long till the autophagy benifets start kicking in?

does lemon juice (1tsp) break a fast (for autophagy)
what about apple cider vinegar?
Snake guy said to do it, then he said don't do it, and didn't say one way or another if it interrupts full ketosis, just that it fucks your teeth

and when people say water only do they mean no minerals?

just to be clear, it's some 0Kcal organic lemon juice
apple cider vinegar also says 0Kcal (Bragg organic apple cider with the mother)

The serving size listed has calories that can be rounded to zero by the FDA's rules. That is all it is.

Stop trying to cheat. Either do it or don't.

I wasn't trying to cheat I thought I was supposed to for kidneys because of the salt or something fuck

Don't overthink this, man. Snake guy is trying to sell a YouTube channel and it's making you retarded.

Drink water. With salt if you feel lightheaded. That's all. Stop when you feel like it. You'll be fine.

It's been a while since I read up on the chemicals that are released in the brain when the nicotine hits, but I don't remember it affecting glucose, insulin, or leptin levels so you should be fine. it might actually help considering it lowers appetite.

Water fasting, 126 hours in. No previous fasting experience. Not taking snake juice. Doing 20 mins moderate cardio and "maintenance" lifting (push/pullups to failure)

So far, no adverse effects besides low energy the first few days. Probably going to go a full month. Is this going to get harder or what?

There was a video where he gets on to a tangent about how fat is "dirty" and you need to be "clean"
I don't think he's mental but I do think he has weird childhood hangups that lead to his very insane personality [/armchair psychology]

So he doesn't encourage drinking snake juice anymore? This faggot flip flops on his own shit all the time

no he just took those two ingredients (the vinegar and lemon juice) out of the snake juice in a later video, still has the salt/potassium mix

It's ok consume creatine while fasting?

I don't want lose my gains

Nope, no creatine.

ok I just started again after a 3 day fast followed by just 3 days 23/1 OMAD and I want to go 2 weeks this time and do it right. need to smell that acetone breath! I'm at 208lbs and need to get down to 122lbs. skin's already feeling smooth, work is getting a little better. I sometimes worry about focus but if I can get past the initial hurdle I can keep going

Do aromasin and Test E break the fast?

>208lbs and need to get down to 122lbs

Are you a 5' female? Where's that number come from

Is it ok to start a fast by taking an adderall to curb my appetite?

Currently doing 23/1 OMAD five days a week, and total dry fast on the two where I don't lift the next day. I'd like to push this further without losing strength gains (haven't yet, still progressing on all lifts), but I have been getting noticeably leaner & maybe it won't be sustainable once I hit sub-10%BF. Also if I were to cut another day of feeding out it would mean either cutting down to four workouts per week, or getting used to training 36+ hours fasted

>finish fast
>reach goal weight
>go to dining hall
>order a hamburger for lunch
>they give me a double hamburger
did they know?

is it ok to eat bananas instead for the potassium?

Day 7 of OMAD 2kg lost

I have now realised hunger is a social construct, humans can go days without eating with little to no effect on mental or physical performance.

I am going to continue omad but switch from keto diet to caloric deficiant balanced diet with low GI carbs steamed greens and lean protien with healthy mono fats

It's not the calories that matter in the soup so much as the protein. Even a very small amount of protein consumption will drop your autophagy levels a lot.

>is it okay to eat sugar and cause an insulin spike ending the fast
idunna

No and no
Protein is what interrupts autophagy.
Also, it doesn't fuck your teeth if you just swish some water around your mouth after you drink the lemon juice and or vinegar.

I would try at least doing the salt/potassium part of snake juice. Your body needs electrolytes and you're using/pissing them away doing as you are now. You will start to feel worse and your heart will feel fluttery soon. Once you feel that, stop the fast immediately. Your heart and all of your muscles need potassium to function.

Just broke my weekly 2-day fast with some chicken Marengo. I'd brought home a steak to cook but my landlord had made a big pot of this and offered me some. Macros seemed good so I went for it.

8 lbs down since Jan. 7th, though I did a 4-day fast in there too. I lost 60 lbs with CICO but I've been stuck at 170 for almost 2 years now. Goal is somewhere between 130-140, I'll reassess when I get to 140.
>tfw you can finally eat a full meal without feeling guilty

Just look at all that url on my scrimp
Wat I'm fittin to do wit all this url on my scrimp

So I'm 4 days into my fast. I'm going for 14 days. Feeling great so far. I was just a little overweight so I expect to be more or less at goal weight when I'm done, and with enough leftover muscle to look good too.

>One thing though.
So I had noticed as long as 2 or so years ago that when I'm at a lower bodyweight, I feel gayer. More homosexual. I am definitely still attracted towards women but I also want to be dominated. I want a man inside me. I think I understand the science behind this though. I think when fasting, or being lightweight in general, I have less testosterone. Testosterone is made from the fat that you eat, and since I'm not eating any fat, I think the more feminine hormones in my body are having a greater effect than usual. However, whereas before when I was skinny (I was a twinky track runner) I didn't have any libido at all. But now... I simultaneously want to fuck (women) and get fucked (by a man).

>inb4 faggot
Straighter than any of you t b h

1) Don't be too autistic about exact values, the numbers in OP are just guidelines. Generally go for 1 tsp each of salt and KCl per liter of water and just sip. If you feel lightheaded or get muscle cramps, you need more electrolytes and if you start shitting yourself you need less. It depends on your own body and activity level.
2) Sometimes happens, sometimes doesn't. Just don't trust a fart. You will definitely shit within an hour or two after your first refeed meal.
3) Looks fine to me. Honestly, you could probably eat a big mac as your first meal but you'll feel pretty gross (and will shit your guts out). You might not even really crave that once you get to 7 days. If you want to be careful start with leafy greens and bone broth, maybe a probiotic like kimchi or kefir (not if you have any lactose issues though).

Good luck bro, you can do it.

Fasting confirmed for turning you gay. Bros we can't let the rest of Veeky Forums find out about this or they'll make fun of us again!

Unsweetened flavored sparkling water is ok though - it doesn't raise your insulin. It also breaks the monotony a bit. You'll stop wanting the sweet stuff altogether if you fast long enough.

I'm currently 5'7" 154lbs and trying to cut down to 130lbs. I've been getting along just fine with regular CICO but I'm considering doing OMAD 6 days a week and doing a 24 hour fast on Sundays. I've been working out 3 times a week as well. Will this fasting plan work for me? I've been doing OMAD these last two days and I actually really like it.

I will "fast" and eat lettuce
nothing wrong with this

Ah, sorry for the imperial measurements. 3g of table salt has about 1200 mg sodium, 3g of KCl powder has about 1500 mg potassium. A teaspoon of salt is about 6g, KCl is a little less dense. .

You're right, fasting reduces your appetite so it's hard to successfully do OMAD in conjunction. Not impossible, but hard. IF with a longer window is much easier to handle, but it's ultimately up to you.

oh for fucks sake.... don't overthink it. I'm having 1500mg of sea salt (500mg 3 times a day) and some multivitamins. I feel great. You don't need to mess with whatever the fuck else youre talking about.

Break your fast however you want to, but DO NOT revert towards
> When can I eat my first Big Mac/Donut,...?
You are never gonna make it in the long term like this...

IF/OMAD is the place to start with fasting. Builds up your tolerance to hunger pains. Your plan looks fine as long as you're not eating 4k calories in that one meal.

No I'm eating no more than 1464 calories in that one meal. Usually around 1200 calories in my one meal though.

Whats the benefit for intermittent fasting while on a bulk/lean bulk? Besides tricking yourself into being able to have bigger meals at one time.

Nice, you should have things under control then. 130 is a pretty light goal weight for 5'7", are you a girl?

How many mg of magnesium should I be taking?

Guy. I might stop sooner depending on how I look as I get lower, but I want to get to very low BF% before I start bulking.

BRO. I am in a very similar position. 153 at 5'6 right now. Trying to get down to around 130(Really just want to have a low body fat percentage). I was working out 3 times a week doing a sorta fullbody routine but now I've switched to 4 times a week alternating from upper and lower body.

Aspergers?

Has anyone ever gone from Obese to thin, but ended up with lose skin - pushed to going sub 10% bf to see what would happen? I always see people recommend surgery, but it seems as if they all get to 15%, still have body fat hanging off their skin.

How's the 4 times a week routine working out for you? My biggest worry with OMAD is not having enough energy to go hard in the gym and losing too much muscle mass.

Fair enough. What's you'r 3x/week exercise, mostly cardio? It'll definitely be tough to put on much muscle at that calorie deficit.

I'm back home for winter break so I've just been doing a lot of body weight exercises. Once I get back up to school and have access to my gym I'll be lifting 3 times a week with light body weight exercises for warm ups and light cardio for cool down.

any chance you're doing NOFAP?

You fucking fat asses realize the reason you need to turn to fasting is the fact that you among other things I am sure have food addiction.
If you can not go a day without your fucking diet Coke just fucking hang yourself.

Do multivitamins break the fast by causing insulin increase due to the sensation of the ingestion of something?

It works really well honestly. OMAD is perfectly fine for working out multiple times a week. I never feel like I don't have enough energy. Then again I've been doing OMAD/IF and keto for a full year now. So i'm very use to doing this.

I haven't progressed super far into my lifts but I don't have extreme drops in strength. I can always either do more or the same.

There is absolutely nothing addictive in unsweetened, flavored sparkling water. Relax.

>just relax man
>*weighs over 200 pounds*

low end of the bmi spectrum, actually I'm 5'7"

its just a target, I actually expect to be like 150, maybe I'll build some muscle while fasting? I am working out

you're just... bisexual? I find that fasting makes me horny, maybe you're just horny and it translates into you wanting to fuck a woman and being fucked by a man

my teeth are fine, I'm not even worried about that

122 is obese for a 5 foot female jackass
t. 61.5 inch 107 lb female

>expecting me to know or care

I been doing fast since November but for some reason I fell like shit on my second day of fast and broke it with eggs today.

Guess I gonna have to start taking zips now.