Hey Veeky Forums

hey Veeky Forums
i just recently started working out, mainly 4x4 HIIT on bike, but i was wondering if i can combine it with weight lifting? as in going straight to lifting after the 4x4. i'm a chubby 27 year old female btw, i've gained 20 pounds in a matter of months due to depression. I do know that the 4x4 is good work out, but i want to lift also. thanks for any reply.
pic sort of related.

what the fuck is 4x4?

four times four interval training. google it

HIIT will increase your TDEE which makes it easier to cut. Just don't fall into the trap of over-estimating how many calories you burn and over-eating. What feels like a hard workout might only be burning an extra 500 kcal which is easy to blow through if you're eating like shit.

Lifting is a good idea to retain/gain muscle mass while you're losing fast. Otherwise the weight you lose will be a combination of fat+muscle. If you're 27 you will do fine on SS or any other beginner LP program, aka read the fucking sticky

i did but i was unsure if i can go straight from HIIT to weights, i've never done HIIT before, just regular long distance jogging and boring shit. and i'm counting calories so i don't fuck up. thanks for replying.

Also if it's not obvious, even as a grill you want muscle mass, otherwise you'll look flabby even if you lose fat. See the pictures of Miley Cyrus from that other thread

Keep doing HIIT. If you're doing both lifting and HIIT in the same day, lift first.

ah, okay. how come i should lift first? thanks btw.

because if you're tired from lifting you then just run slightly less hard
if you're tired from running you then can't lift as hard and your novice progression goes down the shitter

but ideally do the two on different days

Maybe bro science, so take this with agrain of salt. But you have to choose one or the other to do first. You'll be tired during the second and won't be at peak performance. If your muscles are already tired when you're lifting, your form will suffer and you're more likely to get injured. If your muscles are tired during HIIT you might not be able to go as hard and move slower but you're not going to hurt yourself doing it

makes sense!

lifting > hiit > cardio as fat as losing weight while gaining / maintaining muscle is concerned. as a beginner i'd recommend doing a legs compound (squat), a push compound (bench or ohp) and a pull compound (deadlift or row) each time. you can start with 5x5, but if you cannot recover, then do 3x5, also with deadlift less volume, 1 or 2 sets of five is recommended. work out twice or thrice a week, if want more then use upper / lower or ppl splits.

An actual relevant thread with useful advice. Wow

shhh, don't tell anyone but we're tricking her by telling her to lift. She's going to accidentally get too muscular and look like an man

Are you doing this on a real bike or a stationary bike?

whoops didn’t even read it was for a girl. The responses are equally applicable to both genders

stationary :)

cardio uses up a lot of your glycogen. you should do 5 minutes of cardio to warm up at the beginning, then lift for a bit and lastly use up the rest of your energy with cardio

How are you going to do it? What settings? Exact values don't matter, but like 10 difficulty for 20 seconds then 5 or 6 to recover then repeat?

Better to do them on alternating days, or lift before HIIT if you want to do them on the same day.

>mainly 4x4 HIIT
what do you mean?

If a 4x4 is done properly, you wouldn't be able to lift with any intensity after that. Given that you push yourself to >85% max heart rate during the intervals.

Below that HR and it's not really that effective, not VO2-wise at least

Nevertheless, I did two 4x4 running per week, about 50 min a session, and figured out it was quite important to eat loads of carbs, especially the day before and same day of running

lift first. Then bike, don’t forget to eat better. After you lose 20 lbs pls post bobs.

I'll agree with lifting first nonetheless.

Max energy > best form > least chance of injury > then bike, spend the rest of the energy