OHP

How the fuck do I perform this lift without going to snap city?
I'm doing only the bar and it still feels like it's snapping my shit up.
I've watched hours and videos about OHP form and read the meme graphics and it still feels really fucked up.
Maybe a lifetime of sitting slouched over in front of the computer has just wrecked me? What could it be?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=02HdChcpyBs
youtube.com/watch?v=OrGvOI2APow
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

it progresses slower than all the other lifts

Warm up your shoulders

I'm gonna assume you're a beginner and doing something like SL5x5
instead of overhead press try doing front raises, lateral raises, and cable face pulls for a few days. especially cable face pulls
also planks may help, your core has to stabilize you as you stand with the weight so that may be part of your problem

I'm not talking about the amount of weight, I'm saying there's something about the movement itself that feels wrong.
Like I said, I'm only doing the bar yet even so it feels like it's fucking with my back, and my shoulders make all kinds of horrible crunching noises.

sounds like you just need more flexibility, start stretching your limbs and shoulders more

When you set up make sure you're taking a big belly breath and trying to push the air out through your stomach, sides and low back. Squeeze your ass cheeks together as hard as you can and then press. Once the bar clears your head try to push your torso forward.

As for your crunchy shoulders try to warm up with something light first (wooden dowel, ez-curl bar, just grab a change plate, whatever)

>tfw pressing the same as squats and deadlifts

Relax, it's 30kg, I just started.

Press more frequently and correctly.

Do shoulder dislocations.

I also came from a lifetime of shitty posture and very little physical activity and I had no issues with the OHP so it's probably not that. most likely it's just form.

what feels like snapping exactly? I'm guessing your lower back? then you're not stabilizing your lower back with your core/glutes as you should.

don't forget; every SS/SL movement is a compound exercise and you're going to be using more muscles than you might think just by looking at people doing it on youtube.

Keep doing what you're doing with just the bar. Don't forget to do some sets pressing from and lowering down to your back.

Have you heard of shoulder dislocators? Great exercise for shoulder mobility and strength. They are simple and you can do them every day. Doing these fixed all my shoulder pain from OHPing in 4 days and the crunching is happening less and less often. youtube.com/watch?v=02HdChcpyBs This will help. I do 50 reps all at once every day before lifting.

Doing this I have increased my OHP from 75lbs to 135lbs in just six weeks and trust me, the more you do it the better it feels.

Good luck OP happy lifting.

They're a meme lift. Just do incline bench press.

It sounds like you're coming from a point of not really using your overhead ROM at all. Your shoulders making crunching noises is probably just your joints waking up because you never fucking use them.

Any movement you're not used to will feel weird. Using any muscles in an ROM/function you don't usually use will feel weird (bear in mind the press uses both the traps and the lats in ways you might not be familiar with.)

>pressing to build a pulling muscle
>2018

>to build a pulling muscle
>a
>muscle

get the fuck out of here

>pushing to build ANY pulling muscle.
better faggo?

>not knowing what a compound exercise is
>thinking there exists such a thing as a strictly "pulling" muscle
>not realizing pulling is a complex motion and not an actual muscle function

hope this is bait

Your knees should be locked and butt tight when you press the bar up. You don't lean back, you push your groin forwards and then press as your body rebounds back into position.

>thinking muscles can do anything except contract when engaged.
>using more meme arrows than me

JFC nigga stop now

stop

it's probably the least technical of the 4 main lifts
maybe it feels hard precisely because it can't really be half repped or done with total shit form unlike deadlift and squats
hard to say without seeing your form

How wide should my grip be? I see a lot of mixed answers on the internet and even at my gym it seems that people are just doing whatever.

just outside shoulder width. clench your buttcheeks

When I first started SL5x5, OHPs felt like my left shoulder was going to rip apart.
Until I read your post I hadn’t even noticed the pain had gone away so just going OP, and maintain proper form.

t. 4th week SL5x5

Don't stretch your limbs and shoulders, what you lack is thoracic mobility.

The best stretch IMO is to sit on your knees then have a buddy pull your arms back over your head while driving into midback like pic related. If you can't find a partner, you can also use wall bars or find a bench and do a kneeling t-spine extension.

Dling 30kg? What?

Post vid of your form or find someone irl who can coach you.

It's entirely possible that your movement is dysfunctional, you just can't tell. Having a person there to cue you is invaluable.

never ever do anything because a muscular guy or a PT at your gym also does it that way

Yeah just take advice from an anonymous poster on Veeky Forums instead

/thread

youtube.com/watch?v=OrGvOI2APow

Engage glutes. Push bellybutton back to spine. Pull shoulderblades down the back of your ribcage to your hips, they go out to your sides at the bottom and in to your spine at the top. Lift your chest up to the bar. When you're at the full extent of the press, use your traps to shrug your shoulders up to your ears.

You need to create a tight platform to press off, and it'll take a little while for your trunk to get strong enough that your pressing muscles are the limiting factor, rather than your stabilizing muscles.

I guess my main problems are with my spine

It somehow feels like my lower back is to curved in or something when I am holding the bar. My back is probably just weak but it feels wrong. I try to stand up straight and immediately it feels like my lower back is bent inward too much.
Then when I push the bar over my head, I know you are supposed to get under the bar, and there's something about that motion of pushing my head forward under the bar that feels crunch on my shoulders/neck/upper spine. The whole thing just feels snapped up and I don't even have weight on the bar yet. I'll keep doing it and hope that I get more accustomed to it but it's pretty worrying.

Hey guys just make sure to flex your core like a madman during the lift

t. didn't and ended up with terrible lowerback pain that i attributed to deadlifting

post yfw you finally hit that lmao1pl8 press

squeeze your glutes tight

Yeah, shove your bellybutton back to your spine as hard as you can

Maybe practice with a broomstick for a while

dont pull your shoulderblades down while pressing, you will snap your shit

stop being a pussy, holy shit

I should pull them back though?

i recently hit one plate, i just couldnt stop smiling the rest of the day, the dopamine was off the charts

no, you have to let them be free since its a moving part in the lift

just puff your chest up and keep elbows tucked to your lats. This will create the tightness you need

>that feel when you haven't hit 1, 2, 3, or 4

I fucking love OHP. I'm just a beginner and up until 2 months I was doing dumbbell shoulder exercises only. It just felt natural at first try, not like squats and deadlifts, where I struggled with maintaining good form for a long time. Still below 1pl, pressing around 45kg, and cutting atm, so progress is slow, but still love it better than bench.

>2 months in
>45kg
>that feel when 6 months in and lifting less

Such that with your elbows tucked hard into your sides, your forearms are vertical as you'd see yourself in the mirror (frontal plane). They may be a bit in front of the bar when viewed from the side (sagital plane).

For me this is index finger on the inner edge of the knurling, though this'll depend on your shoulder width

Sorry, I meant pre-lift. Like after you unpack but before you start pressing.

**unrack