Gonna quit smoking for the millionth time tomorrow...

Gonna quit smoking for the millionth time tomorrow. Would appreciate some success stories from fellow Veeky Forumsizens for a morale boost.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleurisy
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i've known 5 smokers in the past 6 years that died from lung cancer

quit smoking last summer but relapsed and now I'm trying again by reducing each week (hard as fuck though).
Fucking hate the first 10 days, if you get through that you win, so just make up a plan and stock up on 1000000 gums.

Yelling into a pillow, punching my boxingbag and running made it easier but i understand the struggle mate. Good luck!

Damn, that's pretty much statistically impossible unless all your friends are 80+ years old

So glad I never started smoking or doing drugs or drinking alcohol.

I’ve been trying to cut fat for the last 5 years failing 50000 times. I can’t get lean because I keep falling off the shred wagon. I’d be fucked if I ever drank/smoked because id never be able to quit.

Just switch to snus and then slowly taper off the snus when you've gotten rid of the smokes

Started lifting and didnt want anything restricting me. Just so it for the gains.

That doesn't bother me at all. I'm aware of all the health risks (and to be honest the financial aspect bothers me more than that), but my main problem is that I am way too lenient with myself.

I know that smoking doesn't bring any benefits and that physically the withdrawal isn't /that/ bad, but I've grown so accustomed to this habit that for me to quit smoking would mean giving up one of those small, but dear aspects of my lifestyle which make a boring life bearable.

And what I hate the most about it is that I know that I am perfectly capable of quitting smoking, but I simply do not act upon my desire and keep baiting myself into postponing or restarting the habit although I could easily persevere in abstaining.

I know it’s not as addictive as cigs but I recently quit drinking pop cold turkey. I’ll still have the monster zero often, but it’s not as frequent as the amount of coke or Coke Zero I used to drink. I tried before and relapsed after a day or two but I’ve kept the cravings away. You’ll make it user.

Bodybuilding is quite literally worse for you than smoking a few a day.

This, so glad I was never cool enough to anything like coke or heroin

Bodybuilding as a culture maybe, lifting nah.

And 1-2 packs a day is a tad bit more than 'a few'.

Try vaping as a halfway step.

Or read Allen Carr's "The EasyWay to Stop Smoking"

Being in a constant anabolic state is literally one of the worst things you could do to yourself.

And shit buddy, dial it back a notch. Switch to rolling your own.

Did both already.

Vaping didn't work since it's the whole habit of smoking that I'm addicted to. As for Allen Carr's method - I've read the book, but it didn't affect me although I agree with everything he had to say.

Tried that too. Reverted back to normal cigs out of convenience.

well, I've quit about 5 months ago
the only trigger point for me is drinking, so I stopped drinking as well

and that's pretty much, first week was hellish then everything was cool after that

just remember to have lots of water and have chewing gums or something similar to help you if you have cravings

I feel better, I can breathe better, I don't need to spend money on that shit anymore

I was fairly lucky when i quit, i never really experienced any difficulty or hardships.

>start smoking at 18
>be 23 when i started transitioning into nosmokebro
>stopped smoking casually
>still smoke weed
>no more post gaming cigarettes
>only smoke cigarettes when drinking
>do this for 6 months
>desire for casual cigarette eliminated
>phase out weed
>phase out drinking

Now i don't feel the need to smoke at all anymore, no more cravings, no nothing.

I guess, from experience, the best way to quit is to just slowly phase it out by doing it less and less.

Was it hard to dissociate yourself from the 'smoker' identity?

To me that's the hardest thing. Whatever I'd do, I dread that I'd end up feeling like an alcoholic, always having that looming fear in the back of your mind that you could slip back at any moment.

>start smoking at 18
lmao

yes, hard but manageable
I just started hating that shit a lot... what they've forced me to become (a shitty smelling addict) and their vicious circle.

I've read somewhere that circle is dreadful:
you light up and feed your dopamine
an hour passes by
you feel nervous and/or stressed out
you light up and feed your dopamine

Once I realized that I've been stressing out BECAUSE of not having a cig -- not because I was stressed out of something else -- that's when I realized what kind of evil that shit is

Sorry for crap english

Don't worry about it, mate. Not a native speaker myself.)

I'm in the same position as OP, and am thinking of switching over to vaping. Has vaping been proven to cause any long term health effects? Other than the effects of nicotine of course

Back when they first appeared, the biggest concern was that it could cause pleurisy. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleurisy

I used hookah to stop smoking cigs and weened off entirely.

Here's an idea OP, go for a run.
You should make short work of 5 miles.

>Thank me l8r

Make some other major change in your life at the same time. Then understand that the new you is simply not a smoker.

I have one rule:

Don't buy cigarettes. You are allowed to smoke, but not to buy. Ich someone offers you a cig, you may accept.
Also forces you to socialize a lot

Quit six months ago, I traded the smoking for martial arts. Trust me man, the feeling of being able to run an 8 minute mile again is amazing.

>Took up vaping to quit smoking and it was easy as hell. Cardio is better, can smell and taste again, can breathe easier.
You'll hear a few arguments against vaping but they simply don't hold up, especially considering the physical improvements you feel when you make the switch.

I quit by using snus. Quitting cold turkey was just too difficult for me. Whenever I get the urge for nicotine in the morning, I pop a pouch in the upper lip and leave it there. I've come to find that just having something there with nicotine is enough to get me through the day. I used to go through 9-10 pouches a day but now I'm down to three. Quit smoking 3 years ago, smoked a pack every two days. while I do bum some whenever I'm drinkin at a party (maybe once every couple months) I've noticed that ciggies make me feel sick, so I no longer crave them.

I switched to vaping, can't remember exactly when, it was when it was new and nobody had heard of it. Had to import a shitty little one from Japan for 250 bucks. This was maybe 12 years ago.

It really made a massive difference being able to keep my wind climbing stairs, much less doing actual cardio. I am going to quit vaping too though, had ED the past couple years and I've eliminated pretty much everything except the nicotine. Just ordered some 3 MG down from 12. After I finish off the low nic stuff I'm off for good.

i smoked a pack of reds a day for 3 years and just stopped. just stop smoking bro and then dont start again.

Honestly, it all comes down to having grit. I quit smoking after being a smoker for 5 year from 16 to 21, and I just had to be stubborn and keep myself from having a smoke.

Gonna quit fapping for the millionth time tomorrow. Would appreciate some success stories from fellow Veeky Forumsizens for a morale boost.

Smoked a packs a day from 17 beginner year to 17 end of summer and quit for the fuck of it.

Gained 40 pounds grew 4 inches and am now seniõr chad

Hey man,

10 year smoker. Haven't had one in 6 months.

Used patches + gum for maybe 2-3 months, then just gum. Down to one piece of 2mg a day. Hoping to wrap this shit up soon.

Key things:
commit and literally don't fucking buy any, and it's that simple. Have your reasons. Mine were my health, wanting to get fit, embarrassed, newly single and didn't want to try to find a woman as a smoker.

It literally just takes the two things:
determination + nicotine replacement

Then you're good.

Best o' luck.

Oh yeah, some bonus things to make it easier:
drink a lot of water, try to work out, avoid caffeine / alcohol, don't try tapering or snus or dip or anything they're all just as bad. Just gum and patches, taper those.

I had this Mason jar i put my butts in. Had like 6 months worth in there. One day my friend poured a bit of vodka from a leftover drink in it. Three weeks after that I'm starting at this disgusting cigarette ash and butt soup in a sealed glass container on my back porch. I suddenly got this huge fucking urge to grab it and take a huge wiff of it. Spent an hour throwing up and never touched a cigarette since

>gonna quit tomorrow
Never gonna make it, should have done it today

>tfw started smoking a pack a day again after gf broke up with me

I went cold turkey on the 3th try
1st was a bet. A whole month without smoking. First thing i did after that month waa ligth one
2nd i was counting the money i had saved but figured i could smoke less
3rd was cold turkey. I still miss it every day but it gets easier. My last cig was nearly 5 years ago

Same thing happened to me senpai. +1 for vape

My last cig was December 20th last, so almost a month in. I feel OK

Smoked a pack for 5 yrs, quit 6 yrs ago used patches

Haven't had one since

I started smoking when I was 18. I just wanted to make some new friends, and those guys outside my dorm smoking always seemed like they were having a fun time. At first, it was just a cigarette or two every few days. Eventually, it became half a pack per day.

Fast forward 3 years, and I tried dipping for the first time. I thought it was disgusting, and only tried it because I live in the South and had seen many people doing it. For the next two weeks, all I could think about was trying dip again. I finally caved. I went from 1 pouch per day to about half a can per day.

Fast forward another year, and I tried vaping for the first time. This is where things began to turn around. My friend set me up with a fancy mech mod with a dripper and some high nic juice. When I first started vaping, I would still dip and smoke all the time too. However, the rich flavors and the tricks I can do with the amount of vapor coming out of that e-cig had me slowing down on dip and cigs until about a year later. By that point, I was 100% vaping and had lowered my concentration from 8mg to 3mg.

It's been about 2 years since then, and I no longer smoke. I hate having the smell of smoke on my clothes and on my hair and breath. It's embarrassing. I don't want to be judged for it, so I hit my e-cig instead. I literally leave my e-cig at home so I only vape when I'm home, this has really helped control my impulses. I won't deny that there are days that I rush home to vape cause I need that hit of nic and that delicious blueberry jam and buttered toast flavor, but it has never been as bad as it was when I was heavy on smoking and dipping.

I'm not saying that e-cigs are the answer. I've relapsed a time or two. However, the idea of smoking just doesn't get me going anymore. I can actually go out to a bar, get drunk, and NOT accept a cigarette. I still dip on occasion, but mostly if I'm going to be away from my e-cig for an extended period of time.

This actually worked for me after smoking for 6 years

Well I havnt quit but I cut back dramatically to the point where I don't really crave them anymore.

I hate that I enjoy smoking. But I do. I smoked a pack a day for about 8 years and this year I decided I was done cause in the city they cost 11 a pack and fuck that noise.

It took me 6 months, but I found after I was able to quit for 2 weeks all subsequent attempts were infinitely easier.

So I bought a pack cause I was watching the eagles game in a smoking bar, smoked the whole pack with a friend, and havnt bought another pack nor really craved any and that's been since Saturday.

It's possible, just indulge every once in awhile.

Is that you Gaz? My mate did this. Sure he's vaping fairly consistently, but he's not walking out the front of the uni inbetween every lecture for a cigarette. He hates the taste now, hasn't smoked in 3 months.

I'm proud of him lad, and I'm proud of you. Yeah he's relapsed. Mate crashed his car, right few ciggies. But fuck it. You're making me smile with pride for you user.

Smoking lowers estrogen
BENEFIT

This.
Don' try quitting all at once, thats how you fail unless you have super self control. Gradually do less and less

Glad you quit
But you really can't compare the two

I bought one of those cheap ecigs.

I vaped something real gay and tasty

then I tried to go back to cigarettes and they tasted horrible to me

cheap vape broke

and I haven't bought a pack in 3years

Ya but vaping is just substituting the addiction
It's like taking suboxone to get off heroin, it works but then you're addicted to subs
And if cost is a factor in your quitting I'd rather not have to buy a vape and vape juice
And they're really not that convenient to carry around depending on your job

ive done this on and off but the temptation to bum smokes off others is too much then i become an annoying sponger
also ended up using butts to roll my own
the satisfaction of never buying them is good though

Nah not Gaz, but thank you mate. Maybe there'll be a day when quitting e-cigs is also a possibility.

Sort of did the same. Started dipping, and I actually prefer it for the most part. Nothing really replaces a smoke with coffee first thing in the morning. But goddam do my lungs feel better.

Quitting must be pretty easy if you've done it a million times

Colleague made some gains in the smoking department. He went from cigs to e-cigs. Plans to quit after that

I know that feel. Such a good distraction from stress. Although I hear its from the routine of it. Still, I'm not going to tell myself or anyone I plan to stop. As soon as I get in the car I'm itching for one.

F I R S T S I P P

And a few turns into a pack, I speak from experience.