twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Sounds cool but any other vids that aren't 7 hours

Der Judenbaum

7:22:16

Chase: "DAMNIT! FUCK!"

>mixed grip
in the garbage you go

>- Press instead of Bench Press

Press is actually harder to judge. True story, that's why it was eliminated from the Olympic sport of Weightlifting.

They could solve the Bench issue by simply being slightly stricter than the IPF. Instead of simply saying "flat feet" they could stipulate "vertical shins" as well.

>- No sumo allowed

Good on them.

>- No judge/ lifter interaction

????

>- Weigh-outs instead of weigh-ins

Weightlifting already has this solved; weigh-in within 2hrs of competition starting. You wanna cut yourself to death, enjoy your poor performance.

WHO DOES THEIR DOPING CONTROL? ANY PISSING IN CUPS OR BLOOD SAMPLES TAKEN FROM THESE YAHOOS?

>Weigh-outs instead of weigh-ins
What does it mean and why

Weighing in is considerably easier than weighing out if what I'm assuming is correct, I'm a former wrestler.
A lot of people cut weight to make a given weight class, so when they weigh in they are dehydrated and malnourished. After weighing in, slam a Pedialyte, eat some food and you feel good again.
Weighing out you'd have to either perform in that malnourished state or go to a weight class you more naturally float around

The 2-hour weigh-in (like in weightlifting) somewhat limits the games that people play around weight, as opposed to a morning weigh-in for lots of powerlifting meets, or worse, the day-before weigh-in that fighters go through.
Hard to recover TOO much in the case of less than 2 hours before you have to perform. It's done, but not abused as much as with longer weigh-ins.
The issue with weigh-OUTS is that you don't know for sure, 100%, which class you're really competing in. It's OK in a mixed class meet, but if you have enough lifters to really have a competition, like 2 flights apiece of 12-15 athletes apiece in 8 weight classes, it won't work; you need to have people segregated by class. Also, in the case of something like wrestling, or taekwondo, or boxing, you don't want to wind up fighting someone (and potentially being injured in said fight) who ends up in some other weight class.

Ummm I figured they weighed in as well, or at least checked their weight on the scale that was going to be used

I wouldn't bet on that, and it wouldn't matter if it weren't official, and there's no way that YOU know for sure whether that particular guy is in your weight class, or not, so the issue of direct competition (combat sports) or in-class competition (what do I have to submit as my final lift in order to beat YOU) is pretty large.
Weight-outs work OK I guess in a semi-exhibition format or with few enough lifters to have one big session. When you have competition, meaningful competition between individuals, they need to KNOW who they're competing against, OFFICIALLY. Also, how many hours did their thing last? The US nationals of Weightlifting were held over multiple days, 15 total weight classes, most had 2 or 3 flights of lifters, each flight had two events, each of which took about 1-1.5 hours. The Worlds were held over the course of a week.
I've thought about this a lot, and the way the Olympics handles it, which for most sports is the 2-hour weigh-in, is the closest to perfect you're likely to get, unless you go to stripping them down to their undies after they're warmed up and ready to go on the stage, or unless you include equipment in the weight limit and weigh them just before their first attempt, and throw them out if they fail to make weight, which might throw some people in the queue into a tither if they're suddenly supposed to lift and they're not done warming up because they thought they had some lifters ahead of them.

The press is fucking autistic and there is a reason it was eradicated from oly lifting

Because its fucking lame and shit

Ur mom is lame at sucking dick

>press is harder to judge

Wrong

The Press was literally removed from the Olympics because of controversy over the judging of the lift, whereas there's not a powerlifting federation in the world that doesn't still include the bench.
I should expect ignorance from young fucks who don't know anything about history, but I still have to fight the desire to tell them to take their ignorance and shove it up their ass.

>fight not to tell them

You just told me.

It was partially due to judging, but it was also due to politics and Russia having a monopoly on mastering the lift. All they literally had to do i we eliminate hip bend and back extension.

Something that's essentially impossible to judge in real time, since it's not actually possible to press without some degree of back arching unless you really like smashing yourself in the jaw.

Slow mo cameras

If I ever want to compete I want to do it under these rules. Fuck bench desu. OHP feels safer and I am better at it. Except for on max effort OHP I have almost fainted a few times, I blacked out for like a second at the top of the rep. Anyone ever been there?

So you're going to slow-mo review several fucking hundred lifts a day? As if meets don't take bloody long enough already.

Also slow-mo doesn't solve the initial problem - that it's never been possible to write an objective set of rules for the press that limits back bend and can be reliably called without slowing things down too much.

>Russia having a monopoly on mastering the lift
this is not true, the best american pressers of the day used just as much layback as the eastern bloc lifters did

it was really just becoming a travesty in terms of judging if a lift was clean or not which is why it was removed, no need to complicate it with national agendas and shit
i'm also a much better presser than i am bencher but you and i both know that's just benchlet cope

Yes there is, you can have people press against a wal

It was actually pretty impressive during those days - every country blamed someone else for introducing/popularising the layback and then the double bend. The US called it a Russian press, the Russians swore the Poles came up with it, England blamed the French, the French blamed the Germans and round and round we go.

Doesn't work. If you're going to have them bolt upright in that position, you're going to run into the problem that most people will not be able to press like that without hitting their jaw (also it's going to be a motherfucker to set up, since you're gonna have to walk it in to place). If you're going to allow some angle you're gonna get shenanigans with exactly how far out someones feet or arse are allowed to be.

Ok then push press should be the main press lift

Just get rid of hip bend, and let people destroy this spines if they want to cheat the lift

are there any actual strong people at this thing? Heaviest Deadlift looked to a be 310kg miss by some 105kg or heavier which is pretty bad for a national level comp, I'm not even competitive and I can almost do that.

They actually tried that rule. Proved a complete disaster from a judging standpoint - it's damned hard to pick hip swing from leaning back when its done at speed.

It took nearly a century for them to give up on the press in competition. Just about every rule idea you can think of was tried.

700lbs dl by fiegenbaum
304lb press by Chase

Those are elite number sonny. But yeah it’s a growing federation and I hope to compete in it some day.

instagram.com/p/Bd8e4cshnQj/

Sources ? I honestly don’t see a problem with slowing movements down

Only federation that matters is the IPF

Lolz sure for now I guess. But it will be a thing of the past once people wake up. Just like equipped lifting the ipf will be a thing of the past.

Not really, the IPF is probably coming to the Olympics in the not to distant future.

Lmaooooo

It can't.

The promotion to Olympic status has to be handled several cycles in advance (as does the selection for non-medal trial sports). If by some miracle the IPF manages to finagle a spot (spoiler: they won't) it'd be into the 2030s at the absolute earliest.

Time is the issue. If you've got fifty or a hundred lifters (not unusual for a large but not invitational meet, big ones can be in the hundreds) and you need to slowmo review any significant percentage of lifts, you just don't have enough hours in the day for it.

wtf is Rippetoad's obsession with the press anyway. Works the same muscles as the bench minus pecs. Heavily front delt dominant when alot of people already do way too much pressing, sucks for lateral delts and nil rear delt involvement.

The press is also roughly 1000x less popular than bench so I predict only hardcore Ripp fans will follow this fed.

it's not at all a bad lift but prioritizing it equally with bench makes no sense, it objectively works less muscle mass and every muscle trained in the OHP is trained with bench press and bench press variations (whereas the opposite is not true - no sternocostsal head involvement in OHP)

guys in rippetoe's camp who actually know how to program like feigenbaum usually prioritize bench and have pressing secondary in their general strength templates

The press is a full kinetic chain movement. The chain starts from the starts from the feet to the hands. In the bench the chain is only from the hands to the rear delts. Plus you can’t cheat the range of motion on the press. Also if you press correctly past 200lbs you will have your lateral delts.

Oh boy the shills have reached this far

the competition is badly organized in the sense that it's too long. athletes have to wait too much between each attempt and each lift because they literally run all weight classes (and masters) at once. thats why it lasts 7 fucking hours. how to possibly give a good performance with so much dead time?

Why does he hate sump as well? The fact that some people are worse at it means that it's clearly not "cheating"

Ohgod who's this swole danny devito manifestation, A canny breathe

This.

Developing a strong press allows you to express more of your actual pressing ability in the real world (i.e. standing on your feet). The bench is an entirely necessary lift for building the pressing muscles of course. Nothing at all inherently wrong with pressing at a meet, although your total will be less. Chase Lindley presses 330lbs at 230BW. He's also only 20 years old. A strong press is much more of a spectacle than a comparable bench.
There's comparatively hardly any upper body involved in the push press vs the press 2.0.
The rules are laid out for the press. It's not hard to judge.
- Bar must start below the chin
- Knees may not bend at any point during lift
- No downward motion once the bar begins to travel up after layback
- Unlimited layback
- Must shrug to lockout and show control before lower weight and receiving in rack position.

>unlimited layback

???

If pressouts in modern weightlifting can be easily judged there's no reason why the press can't be judged properly as well.

Legit question.
Why doesn't jordan compete in an actual drug tested legit federation?
He squats, benches and deadlifts.
Why doesn't he compete? Is there any specific reason?
Seems sorta shady desu, probably on gear.

I believe he's competed in other feds, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was in fact on gear. His nutrition articles are top notch and should be included in the sticky imo.

BUT CAN IT DO THIS!??????

savage

t. dyel

The press was eliminated because of controversies around judging but not for the reason you seem to think.

The rules for the press in weightlifting were never unambiguously defined, and never strictly applied (as opposed to the equally difficult to judge and equally arbitrary pressout rules in the snatch and jerk). This went right back to the start of the sport but it reached the point of comedy during the height of the Cold War where judges from both sides would use it to reward lifters from their own side and penalise those on the other. Since the IWF didn’t want to cause an international incident and didn’t want to call attention to the problem because the problem itself made re-examining the technical rules impossible, they took the cowards way out and dropped the lift altogether. Lifters on both sides of the divide are on record confirming that this was the case and it was a widespread bone of contention among the competitors.

The USSF has defined what a ‘good lift’ looks like pretty solidly and rip’s meets have been using the press instead of the bench for years without much controversy around the judging.

>The rules are laid out for the press.
then why do you post memerules that are NOTHING like the rules of the press that was under discussion?

this is not an argument

IIRC he seems to hate it because he thinks it's more of a squat than a deadlift/hip hinge, and that it's pointless since you're already squatting.