/owg/ Olympic Weightlifting General

classical weightlifting - chase down your goals edition

If you are new to weightlifting please read these first and check the other sources they link to before asking questions:
pastebin.com/1HgVcGam
pastebin.com/wCXeXfkk
chinfl.blogspotco.uk/2013/07/how-into-weightlifting.html
reddit.com/r/weightlifting/wiki/faq
iwf.net/doc/technical.pdf
yashathoughts.com/

>The information that you are looking for is probably in the above links.
That includes routines, shoes, information on the lifts, etc. Check out the pastebins for literature or the reddit faq for general information.

Included in this youtube playlist are videos related to weightlifting which you may find useful or insightful:
youtube.com/channel/UCl3WCm2GfvLxvH877oJ1xEA/playlists

Other urls found in this thread:

owlsheets.blogspot.com/2014/10/the-system-by-david-woodhouse.html
youtube.com/watch?v=mC5-g1Ugmgc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Could you autists keep this thread bumped so that I can get some sleep without it dying? Shit.

posting the Chinese weightlifting training doctrine which has been in the past few threads

>Xiaojun Lü and Tian Tao will never feel your balls as a teenager and deem you worthy to bring glory to China on the Olympic stage

nobody's gonna laugh at me for posting a form check on 40kg, right?

Depends on the lift

would but i don't live in a fucking outback steakhouse
whadya want from me
paging caladan

Maybe post a image that is actually related to owg

I'll upload to Bitchute, fuck this Instagram needs you to download the app to upload anything?

tf is instagram

Can someone please critique this?

Unless you are an experience weightlifter living in Soviet Bulgaria, you shouldn't max every training session, and we both know that's not the case. Focus on form, don't go heavy, seems alright otherwise I'd guess, since I don't know what you need to work on. Also, neck extensions and curls, really mate?

Shit desu. Add back squats on 2 days. Move sunday's session to saturday. No need to specify any bb excercises, looks like you just threw some in. Rather specify amount of reps and then work on muscle weaknesses and areas that didnt get worked on main lifts.
Not enough sessions. If you are a beginner, which I'm thinking you are, no point to go to max on classics. Also you dont say how are you gona progress on that.

Also drop the pendlays they are shit

Also, how the hell do you not have any back squats? I think the amount of sessions is alright, but you need to focus on technique first, lookup "The Simplest Olympic Weightlifting Program" on catalyst athletics and use that as a reference

need to shave my hair soon and I have a long thin neck
what are the advantages of back squats? and the reason I have maxes is that I don't know how else I could progress. desu I would rather use a good pre-existing program but I couldn't find any that are simillar to mine. If you know any let me know. Also the bb stuff are there to target inbalances and the neck stuff is because I need to shave my hair soon and I have a long thin neck
why tho?

I have seen that program. For reference I used the old pendaly program guidelines he had written on some website. Also I just hate back squats and would rather avoid them

If you're going to do weightlifting, do weightlifting, you can't progress if your technique is shit, if your technique is shit its only going to lead to injury and prevent you from progressing. You back squat to increase your front squat, depending on your training age you should back squat 1 day for every 2 days of front squats, or the other way

>I just hate back squats and would rather avoid them
Then you have no business in this sport

>but I couldn't find any that are simillar to mine
Because yours is shit ;)
>what are the advantages of back squats?
Heavier weight. Front squats fail because of back, not legs. You need highbar backaquats to train legs properly.
Look at the links in the op. There should be something about programming. Also what are your lifts and bodyweight rn?
>pendlays
They put more pressure on spine. Really they have to be done strict and form breaks easily on higher rep pendlays. Better do some else row.

My techinique is already pretty solid. I have been training with little to no weight for a long time (+online form checks, doing all sorts of progressions etc). Do you mean that my form might become worse with higher weight? I have heard that form starts to break with higher volume

Yeah, it will break down, even if you think your technique is solid, you shouldn't max out. Honestly, the answer to all your problems is a certified wl coach in a wl gym if that is possible

>but I couldn't find any that are simillar to mine
>Because yours is shit ;)
Isn't there a program that has a pull every session, mostly front squats and a strict press day that also leaves room for bb stuff? That's what I meant
>Also what are your lifts and bodyweight rn?
bodyweight: 75kg @6'0
lifts: I still use light weight for imporving form purposes (about 50kg on the CNJ and 30kg on the Snatch). I am looking for a program to start progressing

unfortunately it is not. If you have done any algebra you can probably tell that I am from Greece and the weightlifting population here is just Pyrros Dimas

it's okay for, like, an intensity week
you shouldn't do this on repeat ad nauseam
pair snatch pulls with snatches, clean pulls with cleans, to reinforce and strengthen the movement
you're already warmed up and grooved in a certain motion, why switch things up on yourself?
if you can do pulls for sixes they are probably too light for working weight
don't waste time on neck extensions, they're something you do on a sick day if ever

and he's really albanian

desu because the Pendaly said to include at least a cnj and a snatch movement every session
>don't waste time on neck extensions
kek need to shave my hair soon and I have a long thin neck, nothing to do with weightlifting

Bitchboy bulk up and get stronger -> thicker neck
No need for specific neck excercises when wl already trains the traps good

Need a thick neck as fast as possible tho

nah pendlay don't know what he talmbout
or he do a lot of the time but not on this

What purpose does each progression serve compared to the others? The first one seems most appealing to me since my time is limited and I would like to do some more assistance work but I want some more opinions on this

I usually bump before I go to bed Brisbane time, which is around 11pm here and would be roughly 8am EST I think

Need some euros to bump

>Bitchboy bulk up and get stronger -> thicker neck
>No need for specific neck excercises when wl already trains the traps good
That's not how it works boyo

t. former rugby player
No need to program it really, I did neck exercises every morning (bridges, banded work)

This is half for me to crystallise my own thoughts and half for the people who have been talking about routines recently and wanted something to do without the strict structure of e.g. Takano. Probably worth prefacing with the fact that routines are not actually that important, so long as you are doing plenty of quality reps and sufficient volume in the lifts and major accessories/muscle groups (this is all received wisdom but seems valid)

I'm starting pic related, which is Yatsek's (aka Papayats), together with Coach Zhang (some provincial coach I think?); it's a "winter volume" program designed to run for a quarter of the year, or 10-12 weeks. I'll begin in around 2 months after I finish my current prog (just a generic high volume squat program as my quads are puny)

There is very little percentage based work. The program centers on 'as heavy as possible with good form' with a sort of unspoken rule that you don't go above 85% unless it feels very good and very easy.

Breaks between sets are ~90 seconds, 45 minutes for the classics, 30 minutes for the accessory work, 30 minutes for bodybuilding + any supplemental accessory work.

If you're looking for percentages as a general rule, heavy triples are around 75% at the low end, with heavy singles around 85% of the low end.

In terms of prepping for comp he doesn't mention it, but my suggestion would be follow the routine (you'll notice there's no week 1 week 2, etc. changes), take a deload every 3rd week (70-80% of working weight) and just take a deload week before you peak for comp too.

Literally zero (0) point in doing this much work unless you're already at an internationally competitive level.

6x2 sn, 6x2 pull + backoff and two 3x8 bb exercises is too much work? Really?

Shut up you lazy nigger

ngmi

I've identified three or four major issues when I squat. Will take a video sometime soon but here's the rundown:

I'm about 190lb, lean. I am currently squatting ~260lb 3x5 and ever since ~235,

1) I've been doing some pretty severe squat-mornings. I fold up almost like a pocketknife--I can get myself back up just fine, I just need to almost re-adjust myself under the bar.

2) This was a problem before more than it is now, but my knees were caving in when I squatted heavier. I did some work on the abductor machine and now that seems to have mostly disappeared, though.

3) When I squat deep (I can go extremely deep, ass to grass doesn't even describe it, I'm almost too flexible), I feel this burning sensation on the way up, in my right quad. It feels like a *heat* sensation, or maybe an electric shock feeling. It's like somebody is shooting my right quad with a light stun gun. It's not truly painful, only bothersome and I'd prefer it stop. This only happens to me on highbar squats, but because of the barbells at my current gym they're the only option.

4) In my right hamstring, I feel a specific kind of "twitch" when I'm doing a slow movement at near parallel depth. I haven't noticed this one as much lately, and it didn't hurt at all, but it just annoyed me slightly. Was only really noticeable when I was squatting too, never when I was in the same depth deadlifting. This "twitch" manifested both in the concentric and eccentric parts of the lift.

Anybody got a clue?

lighten the weight and focus on keeping your knees forward as you come up. Also brace better

dunno what the third one is, could be you're going too low and the quad's stretched painfully, maybe quads are tight

otherwise, if it doesn't hurt then don't worry

I was taught not to let the knees pass the toes [spoiler]by Mark Rippetoe[/spoiler]
Is it time to forget that rule?

lol yes, knees should travel as far past toes as they need to to keep you upright, just make sure you press through midfoot and keep abductors engaged and you should be fine

This. Also, start spending more time stretching your quads and hipflexors during rest periods or after training, it will help you stay more upright in the bottom position of the squat.

how does that? pls explain

>how does that help*

>learning how to snatch
>practice with just the bar
>hit myself in the head on first attempt
Fugg

the first time I tried snatching I fell backwards on my ass and dropped the bar on my shins lmao

will OWL make me look like this?

no, just narcissism needed

Do you guys have cerebral palsy or what?

Yes. If you lift for a decade and don't fuck around.
Is Lotus a genetic freak, or did he just try harder than most people are capable of? Either way, Lotus put in the work to accomplish what he did. Anyone that tried as hard as he did is going to look good. Maybe you'll look worse, maybe you'll look better, but you will be better than your current self.

He has small calves and a pec gap, but he still looks better than 99 percent of the people here. Ie, stop lamenting on your downfalls and just work on getting bigger, and stronger.

You probably won't pull 700 hundred though.

short armed faggots
those with a wingspan under their height should be put in camps

Lel. My coach says you're wrong, my workouts resemble this:

>6-8 sets of snatch var
>6-8 sets of cnj var
>if did just cleans now block jerks
>squat front/back
>some kind of push acc (p-press, sn balance, sn press...)
>pull
>abs

Every. Fucking. Day.

Reps change with intensity.

what are your lifts?

my workout is currently:
>front squats 3x1
>the press 3x3
>clean&jerk or snatch alternating 3x3

i made it myself so want to know if its trash or okay

bumpalmumpaloo

sounds a lot like "the syyyyyystem" by david woodhouse except he put the olympic lifts first, and workout was done 2-3x a week, with drills done empty bar on days off

owlsheets.blogspot.com/2014/10/the-system-by-david-woodhouse.html

Add core and bb work. Alternate back and front squat. Start the workout with snatch/cj so that you are fresh when doing the most technical lift

i do some hanging leg raises and ghrs at the end. what would count as bb work?

Whatever works the muscles

>Not deadlifting

>bb work
What's BB work? Can't be bodybuilding can it?

Not gonna lie to you m8, back squats are the single best exercise for overall strength development and unless you’re already squatting 800 lubbz you probably need to be doing them to get anywhere in this dead sport.

Rip literally does not say this anywhere - watch his coaching videos and you’ll see him telling people to let their knees travel forward more if they’re trying to keep them back. The only reason your knees won’t track in front of your toes is if you have extremely long legs (relatively speaking) and a relatively wide squatting stance.

Letting your knees slide forward when you’re already in the hole to achieve depth is a very different thing though and should be avoided at all costs.

It is

I've been bamboozled.

youtube.com/watch?v=mC5-g1Ugmgc

there is no such thing as "overall" strength development, only development in the proper angles and neural pathways. You sound like yhou'd advocate lowbar for OWL

Haha! I'm gonna pretend I'm out of touch with social media to seem cool and different on an anonymous Bolivian wood working forum

haha! the exact response that post was meant to incite!
not a law-bound memebot at all!
haha!

lotus is stupid strong, gifted genetically as well as a touch of work ethic

you won't get as strong as him but decent source of inspiration I guess

Provided you don't listen to his advice.

Strong motherfucker and a hard worker but also a tremendous example of how knowledge is item number twenty or so on the list of things that'll help you get big and strong.

I've never really paid attention to his advice after he said you can remove chest gap by specifically targeting inner fibres. Not saying he's dumb but anecdotal evidence is probably the worst kind unless it's coming from a coach with a good track record

I still lol when I hear people talking about isolating upper and lower chest and decline bench giving you moobs

>I've never really paid attention to his advice after he said you can remove chest gap by specifically targeting inner fibres.
as a chest gap bearer, what CAN I do to chip away at my chest gap? It's horrendous.

Nothing. Well, nothing short of having your pec torn off and reattached.

*CPRs your thread*

How to avoid snapping my shit up?

ye that was fucking brutal
he took gold at u23ewc 2017
nbd

god damn, 3 failed lifts and a career-ending injury to top it all off

>career-ending injury

The absolute state of Rebecca

what a retarded whore

>3 red lights just to add insult to injury

Yeah it was only a dislocation. Pretty brutal though

up up, QT. up up!

i'm always amused by programs that have % on sets for lifts that don't test 1rms or lifts that aren't competitive
do you test 1rm of overhead press and front squat in your program? when? are you so experienced of a lifter with gains so slow that your 1rm in any lift is stable for long enough to need to cycle it through %?
i mean, you're capable of judging your pulls and oh squats and rdls and pendlay rows without needing a percentage of them
you're capable of working to a "daily max" on the competition lifts and singles of the front squat
but no, you can't just say "3x5" or "3x3" on the press or front squat, you need a percentage, but you're ok without one on the competition lifts

>neck extensions + curls

srsly rippetoe has better ideas than this

day 1: snatches 6-8 doubles, mostly at the same weight, add weight when they look good, vary how many sets you do each week
day 2: cleans 4-6 sets of 2-3 reps, mix it up, as above
day 3: rack jerks or clean+ some jerks, doubles or triples, 2-4 sets, as above
day 4: snatches emom, 15 or so, at as heavy a weight as you can complete all with good form, then cjs on 90 seconds, 8-10, same

put your rest days where you like
one one workout, front squats for heavy 1-3 reps a few sets, one another workout, back squats 4-6 reps and several sets
on day 1 or 2, do some overhead presses or push presses, on the other day, do a bench press, same as back squats
throw some pullups in there on a day or two
use some drills like drop snatches, tall snatches, etc, as warmups

No

Somtimes I wish I was not weird

nice blog

if youre into olympic weightlifting you will always be weird.

get a bigger chest, that's basically it. I used to have a huge chest gap, pecs looked miles apart, and it's still kinda there, but it filled in a lot. This is from 2 years ago but I don't have a more recent one

Bump

I've moved my jerk grip out to be pinky on snatch rings and when I do OHP I can barely do 60, much less 85 which is my actual max. Starting to debate whether pressing even matters much at all when you can just push press and do shoulder isolations (like you should be doing anyway)

>I do OHP I can barely do 60
You mean when you ohp wide grip it's harder?

yes, and more like a little painful and making me wonder if there's actually any point in strict pressing at all

Why dont you just strict press narrower then?

because by all accounts the point of strict press is to build strength in the jerk position

hence you need to press out of your jerk position

Ded thread

ded sport

a new year resolution of mine was to start getting into OWL, so I'm going to try my best to keep these threads bumped no mattah what senpai

maybe enough people will see them to grow curious, and start an active community on Veeky Forums, it's a comforting thought

ye good luck, I'm going to bed