/fast/ #105 - Put Down the Fork, Onee-chan Edition

>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>WATCH THIS BEFORE ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS
youtu.be/APZCfmgzoS0
While you're at it watch the rest of this guy's videos on nutrition.
>WHY SHOULD I FAST?
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/

>Weight loss
>Better skin
>Autophagy

>WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY?
It's when your body takes apart useless, shitty cells. (Cancer cells, cells with broken protein, acne, loose skin, etc)
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-mtor-autophagy-1/

>FASTING FUCKS TUMOR GROWTH
youtube.com/watch?v=LGafhm1cuSI

>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
>take around 4700 mg of potassium per day max
>2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day max
>MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated.

>HERE'S WHY YOU AREN'T ACTUALLY HUNGRY IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 8% BODYFAT
youtube.com/watch?v=dFT2IKmwyfg

>WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!-- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.

>WONT I GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND DIE?!
You don't have the willpower to fast to death. Now look down. See that large bulbous gut? That's food. Thousands and thousands of calories stored and ready to be consumed by your body.

>WONT I LOSE MUSCLE?
This is the coolest part about fasting. Your body remains very anabolic when you fast.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
"Our results suggest that a fasting program in conjunction with resistance training can decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

>Sugar is more addictive than coke
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144

Other urls found in this thread:

diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/understanding-carbohydrates/glycemic-index-and-diabetes.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12508079
watermark.silverchair.com/endo5359.pdf?token=AQECAHi208BE49Ooan9kkhW_Ercy7Dm3ZL_9Cf3qfKAc485ysgAAAbAwggGsBgkqhkiG9w0BBwagggGdMIIBmQIBADCCAZIGCSqGSIb3DQEHATAeBglghkgBZQMEAS4wEQQMSxlXAdyxWJs1GhEpAgEQgIIBY9A20NFfqZ5i4MB3qLeaVp6qyK10GensdKLKp6Y3DWlPmcczqq_3auLNbX49_OOVXkpghrdYPPAOvb-SI_megClIf7E6q4rivxFY8U38EhMC9cl1t0CL_9TL26yd442xdv3ffLPogw8QtywrTAJnjNoNbX_claGnEBpkaI8TUqKHintupc1vWfGxpq5-zMU5dPqxj2iVyA_A8SNyOzMZ6cp6g5LM-tCPsaFkXFypgqy_uiyyJt3HqArS3PmqHxPAM_0lQzYKOCwUaX1LnZgOS-DsSp_WH7gsyGlGsMNs6l4muCa5SSGdkhoMiaWMbbjHmpkBNXJ96syJ9Ek7tnMvGIz5xr5MEfEoxns5upR2z51bP9iX_WQZAry_yfSDws-isw4MJT3As28Rb8R_Y2ycLw2thFrPhOSZslNlP1WrWG4cdkYTGxYEq7ooq34T7KVE5J-5Em-JLjh2izV5trctkdzxZHs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Can somone check my calculations just too see i did this right
No salt= about 1g serving size
640mg potassium in one serving so
4700mg÷640mg= about 7grams of no salt
Himalyan pink salt =1g sering size
420mg sodium in 1 serving size
So 2000mg÷420mg= 4.7g of pink salt

so after I complete a 2-3 week water fast, what diet should I pick up to continue losing weight?

looks like someone is making huge gains

I also have a question regaurding working out i usually go to the gym daily and do cardio and a 3×5 starting strength should i cut out the weight lifting or is it still safe to do my full workouts

I've been doing OMAD on my lift days.

Should I be lifting in a fasted state? Doing OMAD for now lifting every other day, on my "off-days" I'll usually do some light cardio work.
So should I have my one meal after my exercise?

So I'm still a bit confused, where do you guys get this sodium potassium mix?

>If you're lean, 5:2!-- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
That and keto maybe?

Yeah we don't have no-salt in new Zealand and I can't really find any substitute

Ok guys i need to make a navy weigh-in by the end of this semester for a benefits program. TO keep it short I need to drop around 40 pounds. I have 3 months. Anybody have experience doing this kinda shit?

Lol just don't eat and follow the sodium/potassium guidelines in the OP. Don't over-hydrate.

It's really that simple.

sorry, no before/after pics.

started snake juice dec 30th.
I ate about 5 meals during January - all were keto.
I am down 30 lbs since dec 30th.
I hit a 30 lb plateau near end of jan. Weight was hovering right around 205.

I ate yesterday (keto)
today, weigh-in at 203
ate again today (keto)
I resume fasting tomorrow.

/fast/ is the easiest, fastest weight loss I've ever done
> clothes fit me so much better
> everyone at church this morning was noticing how much weight I've lost
> feels good

> mfw when eating makes me feel sick

when i do feeding days i am still learning to not eat so much at a time that i feel awful for hours afterwards.

Try a dry fast.

>to continue losing weight?
Just refeed using OMAD for a few days and start another fast if you still need to lose more.

>Start water fasting on 1st February
>326lbs lardass
>weigh today
>310lbs lardass
>wat

Isn't this a bit too fast? How much of that is water and will come back the moment I refeed?

Check your TDEE
That amount of loss sounds about right to me

At that weight you probably had 10 lbs of water weight

How long would it take to fast from 20% to 8% bodyfat? What exercise do you guys do while fasting?

After fasting then refeeding, my running ability has gone down the shitter. I was doing 10ks before but after I started fasting (2-3 days followed by OMAD),I struggle to do a 5k. Is there a correlation between my encroaching weakness and the fasting?

Shouldn't be, in fact ultra-marathon runners have to go into ketosis to complete their ultra-marathons to avoid hitting "the wall" (when the bodies glycogen reserves run out)

Should I still be working out if I'm fasting? Doesn't your body basically have nothing to work with? Then again I'm a fat fuck so it should be fine, right?

Does testosterone go down when you fast?
Planning on getting it checked and want a guaranteed prescription tbqh.

Working out while fasted is one of the best ways to ensure you're burning fat. Cardio that is. Lifting while fasted isn't technically awful but you'll feel like shit and be weak.

Not that user but how should one take running when in a fast? The first 10k I ran I was 24 hours into a fast, but at that time that was the most I've fasted. My run day will be on day 3 of a fast, so how should I pace myself?

should i try mixing sodium/potassium in soup broth or sugar free drinks? i hate drinking it in plain water and it makes me feel nauseous

not /fast/ but diet

is looking for gluten free stuff the easy way of finding low GI food?

How much water do you use? I premix mine in a 3 liter tea pitcher and drink it throughout the day. Hardly notice it's there. I tried a 1 liter solution and ended up vomiting.

I'm 42 and not on any drugs for T. Just finished a 5 day fast and I was getting morning wood every day...which isn't normal for me in the last 5 years. Your body only produces testosterone from your nuts as you sleep and this is why you get morning wood.

so theres my anecdotal advice.

20 min - 30 min slow jogging is more than enough imo, just keep doing it every day and you're guaranteed to crash in weight (and feel like shit)

Try here for guidance. I personally think there is too much bullshit going on with gluten-free (and all overpriced for the same shit as well)

Low GI Foods (55 or less)
====================
- 100% stone-ground whole wheat or pumpernickel bread
- Oatmeal (rolled or steel-cut), oat bran, muesli
- Pasta, converted rice, barley, bulgar
- Sweet potato, corn, yam, lima/butter beans, peas, legumes and lentils
- Most fruits, non-starchy vegetables and carrots

Medium GI (56-69)
===============
- Whole wheat, rye and pita bread
- Quick oats
- Brown, wild or basmati rice, couscous

High GI (70 or more)
================
- White bread or bagel
- Corn flakes, puffed rice, bran flakes, instant oatmeal
- Shortgrain white rice, rice pasta, macaroni and - cheese from mix
- Russet potato, pumpkin
- Pretzels, rice cakes, popcorn, saltine crackers
- melons and pineapple

diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/understanding-carbohydrates/glycemic-index-and-diabetes.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/

Will I really preserve muscle on an extended fast? I can not lift fasted. I can barely walk up a flight of stairs by day 4. Won't my muscles atrophy from lack of stimulation?

The majority of that would be

>1. Water weight
>2. Compacted shit backed up in your bowels finally being expelled

But... keep at it and you will start to burn off that fat, you're going to make it! Don't stop! Don't binge!

point of gluten free is that it isn't plain starch with high GI and gluten though

Don't look at me, I don't eat carbs in any form other than pure vegetables like peppers and such
at the moment.

What do i get potassium and sodium from? I think you can get sodium from salt. What about magnesium? do i need it?

Sodium and potassium are all you really need for a short fast. You can get both from salt. Sodium from regular table salt. You can get potassium salt by itself or in certain salt mixtures. I just got a giant bag of potassium salt online and premixed a bunch. Add enough to your water to get your daily requirement, without so much that you make yourself sick.

I really want to do a month long fast but I'm really scared that I'll literally kill myself by fucking up refeeding. Can someone give me a rundown on how to safely refeed, and please explain it to me as if I'm a retarded panda with a lobotomy. Be thorough

>sodium
literally any kind of salt. Preferrably pink salt.
>potassium
pic related

Runner here. I eat right before I run for maximum effectiveness. Consider decreasing your pace by a tiny bit and running a lot further. Then again that may kill you so maybe not. Don't be afraid to stop in a run and enjoy where you are!
Don't run near cars that spew poisons into the air!

>onee-chan
Do you mean onii-chan? Because I doubt there are onee-chans here.

I just refeed on less food than normal. When you go that long and cut that much weight, your stomach will shrink from fatass size to normal size or less. So literally just eat less than normal.
When I did a 3 day fast, at the end I got a pizza which I normally would have easily ate, but I couldn't finish it like normal.

Ok I am a runner as I just mentioned. I have stomach problems. I try to eat apples, pears, and Irish oatmeal mostly. I have poor eyesight.
I've heard fasting is going to make all these problems disappear.
I have cognitive dissonance over this, even though I have witnessed testimony and such that is very believable and appealing.
I have shelter and a fixed income from the government.
I want to be able to go through 4000+ kcals like it's nothing each day and to really be a better athlete.
I'm continuing eating as healthily as possible given that I have a lot of organic whole foods available. Ideally I see myself committing to a fast feeling energized and healthy already and coming out with a proper orientation on my bodily functions.

idiot

I don't know. The snake juice mix makes me gag, so I just eat the salt dry and then drink a liter of water.

Spare me the blog post faggot

Definitely worth a try. I've heard those stories too, and I notice my acne gets better when I fast.

Why pink?

Welcome to my website, please feel free to unsubscribe at any moment by biting a bullet, so to speak.
Oh cool, I have mild breakouts and a gross nose, maybe that'll get better.

I had a bowl of oats and 3 scoops of protein and a coffee already, and I've only been up for one hour. Went godmode, going to make it.

>sorry, no before/after pics.
Go find us a picture of you being fat from your Facebook and take a picture of you today, user.

>Face-what
Breh oatmeal is mostly protein iirc

pink salt has a bunch of other minerals in it and it isn't made in a factory. Also has some potassium in it.

>he doesn't have a kikebook to cultivate a normie persona

>Breh oatmeal is mostly protein iirc
lmao
The absolute state of diet threads on Veeky Forums

I just mix it in a normal glass because i wanna drink it as fast as possible and then drink plain water the rest of the day, even if i dilute it it still makes me feel kinda sick

On ADF, also alternating cardio and lifting. Usually eat my meal in the evening.

Is it better to lift or run the day after feasting ? Or does it not really matter?

I mean it's a seed right?

Basically you're eating plant jizz

Bread is made from wheat and water, and wheat is a seed.
By your logic, bread is basically a baked protein shake.

t. soyboy that doesn't even get morning wood at 20 years old

I don’t even understand what this post is trying to say.

Better even
I'll try to translate:
user had a bowlful of oats (presumably prepared), with 3 scoops of some kinda brotein powder (only form of isolated protein that gets measured in scoops afik), also a cup of coffee (or some other coffee beverage) was consumed. All this consumption took place within the first hour of user having awoken.
The last bit is an utterance that can only have come from a veteran Veeky Forums poster. They are aligning themselves with the heavens and have attained godlike physique...
Basically it's a progress report
Now that they have their desired physique they plan on "making it"
Typically indicates that there's a perceived breakthrough that ought to be coming at any time, just from maintaining the present rate of progress until the good days start rolling on in!
Reinforcing that camaraderie imbued into all inhabitants of the Veeky Forums.org domain is proven to inspire relentlessly until we all have Attained.

>I'll try to translate:
Now there are two posts I don't understand what they're trying to say. :-(

jk, but we need to fix the OP to include some more references.
How to find a salt with the correct ratios of salts/minerals in your country.
How to look for health stores and shit for that holistic mineral salt or however they chose to advertise it in various countries.

How to train during fast.
And this will be hard to agree on since I disagree with cardio or any physical activity that takes your energy expenditure (VO2/Heartrate) too high for more than short periods of time. Others think cardio is great.
I think lifting, should be done daily, but just 1 quick set for each muscle and stop before AMRAP (failure). Others doesn't think it serves no purpose as you can't make gains.

Speaking for a friend here
If he were to have a meth addiction and were to binge and not eat. would using this potassium sodium mix help?

I'm doing IF, and my eating window is from 12 to 9pm. This feels like it could be too big a window, but I don't want to have to force-feed myself in a tiny window.

Also, anyone notice that their resting heart rate decreases when fasted? My heart rate used to be 75-80, but in the morning it's around 60

The thought of drug addicts OD'ing and ending up dead, face down in a gutter brings me joy :)

i thought the point of running out of glycogen/entering ketosis was itself the wall?

go to bed, grandpa

How do I develop the willpower to do this anons? I fucking love how I'm able to work 9 hour days doing the stupidest most inane boring shit without going home but I can't stop myself from just not eating food for an extended period of time

>go to a pharmacy
>buy potassium chloride
>if they ask, tell them you got high blood pressure and want to cut out the sodium
It's not hard

When you feel hungry, just tell your body to stfu. If you can ignore it 20 mins or so, it'll pass.

I have one 800 calorie meal a day and have also lost 30 pounds since January 2nd. Omad is superior.

starting weight?

how many days can I go without eating food before I pass out and die?

depends on how fat you are

your body will literally eat every last shred of fat before it lets you kill yourself in such a retarded manner, it doesn't give up easily

Everything I've read about the about of sodium the body should have is a fair bit higher than what these threads suggest, and not only that, but short of taking in WAY, WAY too much sodium (several times what you're suggesting) the body can filter out what it doesn't need.

Are the numbers you suggest based on the assumption that when one DOES feed it will have a relatively high amount of sodium as well?

Also, everybody keeps saying NoSalt. They sell NuSalt around where I'm from, which is in the little blue shaker, I never see "NoSalt" anywhere.

so does fasting increase or decrease bone growth wtf

im like 18 and i think ill still get taller need answers pls

i do if btw

since you're browsing this general I'm assuming you're overweight, height is 99.95% genetics but if you really care that much then losing weight is probably going to be more beneficial in the long run than bone growth issues

so I'm looking into fasting from friday to sunday night, once a week and then being on a keto diet to increase brain performance, I'm looking into it but I'm overwhelmed by the amount of information, can anyone help me out?

what are your goals, what do you do?

>Now look down. See that large bulbous gut?

No you meanie, it's just a little belly, don't assume my bf%

im actually really fucking thin like prob WAY underweight, and you're right its def mostly genetics.... i already got over the height shit back then but then i read this ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12508079
and then gave myself false hopes like an idiot

more info

>Effects of Fasting on the Growth Plate: Systemic and
Local Mechanisms
watermark.silverchair.com/endo5359.pdf?token=AQECAHi208BE49Ooan9kkhW_Ercy7Dm3ZL_9Cf3qfKAc485ysgAAAbAwggGsBgkqhkiG9w0BBwagggGdMIIBmQIBADCCAZIGCSqGSIb3DQEHATAeBglghkgBZQMEAS4wEQQMSxlXAdyxWJs1GhEpAgEQgIIBY9A20NFfqZ5i4MB3qLeaVp6qyK10GensdKLKp6Y3DWlPmcczqq_3auLNbX49_OOVXkpghrdYPPAOvb-SI_megClIf7E6q4rivxFY8U38EhMC9cl1t0CL_9TL26yd442xdv3ffLPogw8QtywrTAJnjNoNbX_claGnEBpkaI8TUqKHintupc1vWfGxpq5-zMU5dPqxj2iVyA_A8SNyOzMZ6cp6g5LM-tCPsaFkXFypgqy_uiyyJt3HqArS3PmqHxPAM_0lQzYKOCwUaX1LnZgOS-DsSp_WH7gsyGlGsMNs6l4muCa5SSGdkhoMiaWMbbjHmpkBNXJ96syJ9Ek7tnMvGIz5xr5MEfEoxns5upR2z51bP9iX_WQZAry_yfSDws-isw4MJT3As28Rb8R_Y2ycLw2thFrPhOSZslNlP1WrWG4cdkYTGxYEq7ooq34T7KVE5J-5Em-JLjh2izV5trctkdzxZHs

>really fucking thin
>wants to fast

????

I'm a programmer, looking to improve cognitive function and memory as well as maybe get a little better overall health also before I invest more time in researching it would I have to stop taking medications and supplements (nootropics and vitamins) when fasting for 3 days?

eczema....
its reduced the inflammation so far
i feel better desusenpaitachi

No, I didn't stop at least. As long as there aren't calories (or at least a negligible amount) it won't break your fast. Plus certain noots (like modafinil and nicotine) are great for reducing appetite.

>improve cognitive function and memory
I did Intermittent fasting (OMAD variant with 2 meals 4 hours in between during the evening) for a very long time. I didn't do it to lose weight (so I didn't lose weight) but to keep myself more focused and alert.
Not sure what medications you're on, but I don't see a reason for you to stop taking them while fasting. (Unless they affect metabolism, like insulin.)

alright lads so my understanding now is (and correct me or help me improve wherever you can)
>stop eating friday
>drink ketones for energy
>don't eat saturday
>test urine for ketone levels
>test glucose levels to make sure they're low
>start eating again sunday
>don't eat any carbs throughout the week
also would 30 minutes on an exercise bike when fasting deplete glucose faster? and would a three day fast weekly and keto diet keep me in ketosis throughout the week?

I would say to you to look it up everywhere. I wouldn't risk potencial height growth to loose some weight with this method.
There's this YouTube channel "What I've learned" that talks a lot about sleep, sodium, intermittent fasting and ketosis in general. I saw a video about sodium where it said that the lack of it stunted growth, you could start there.
You should be always careful to experiment during your development years, meanwhile you can lift hard and go into ketosis.

yea im quitting fasting for now.... i think the lack of anything inhibits something in the human body its complicated and screwing w/ my head :/
im just gonna eat the healthiest i could and gain some weight back, exercise and also chill tf out

You are the reason that 20 year old women run into my arms and not soybois like you. Keep hatin, kiddo.

I'm a brainlet
So does fasting stunt growth?

Hello, i am doing my first fast.
I am om day 3, and i haven't really been hungry or thirsty yet. I have drunk maybe 200ml of water each day, but i cant seem to get more down, i get a weird feeling in the back of my throat l. Is everything ok?

I'm not really fat, you can see my ribs, but i do have a good bit of excess fat around my hips. I'm also kind of depressed, i think that might by why i havent been really hungry yet.

I am not really fat,

>A 3-d fast caused an immediate and profound decrease in rate of growth in the proximal tibial growth plate to only 30% of that of control animals, while stopping growth in the distal tibial growth plate.

short answer: yes

Lel