Has anyone here dealt with mental illness and/or attempted suicide? If yes, has lifting helped you at all...

Has anyone here dealt with mental illness and/or attempted suicide? If yes, has lifting helped you at all? Will the emptiness ever go away?

>t. incapable of enduring mental illness
Nothing you can do but endure, faggot. Now give yourself two more years and see if it's gotten better

Before lifting
>I want to kill myself
After
>There's no way you get rid of me that easily, I'll take a few with me

It's different for everyone, but feeling good about your body is never a bad thing. Even if you don't go all out at first, as long as you keep at it you'll feel it.

Working out regularly has helped me stay sane during uni especially when shit hits the fan both in and out of school.

I’ve been lifting on and off for years. Had a car accident and just started again in August and progress is fine as is my body. I just feel like I have nothing to offer people and got ghosted by several girls when trying to set up dates

>this

>has lifting helped you at all?
yes

>Will the emptiness ever go away?

~>for you who are

Lifting definitely helps because exercise is very good for your mental health and it'll relax you but it's not the cure you should supplement lifting with seeing a psychologist

Been lifting for 6 years. Diagnosed a year ago. Age 30.

Im glad finally decided to do something about it after wondering why I found everything so hard and always felt detached from other people and the world in general. Now I dont have to stress anymore. I get a pension, have 20 free sessions with a clinical psychologist every year. All the pressure is gone, weight off my shoulders, parents no longer nag me about being the way I am. No longer having to constantly worry about trying to be a normie has removed so much stress from my life.

My parents took me to doctors saying there was something wrong with me since I was a very young child, and all the doctors dismissed my parents. I guess doctors weren't too keen on mental health in the late 1980s/1990s. Maybe things would have turned out different if my parents concerns were taken seriously 25+ years ago.

I'm one of those who will never make it. I'd like to believe I'm on outlier though.

Yes. It has helped a lot. The mental stress is completely phased out by the physical stress of working out, plus endorphines that comes with getting past your previous plateau. Unfortunately, the emptiness never truly goes away.

I was abused as a child resulting in suicidal thoughts, severe panic attacks , and ended up getting diagnosed with PTSD. Plus the world decided to thrown lyme disease on top of that.

Once I was finally on meds for the lyme, I decided to start working out. Best decision I ever made. Boosts my mood, keeps me energized and even when I have low days, the routine makes me at least get out of the house once.

I've felt the best mentally and physically that I ever have right now.

>Has anyone here dealt with mental illness and/or attempted suicide?

Yes and yes.

> If yes, has lifting helped you at all?

I lifted for a while, didn't do shit. Quit lifting. Started going to therapy and take medications. This took a couple of years. Started to feel better. Started lifting again, starting to feel better than I have in years. Exercise and healthy eating habits are a part of wholesome life but if you have significant mental health issues, persistent depression etc. you need to actually address those problems too. Lifting won't teach you to deal with your emotions, it won't teach you to face things that cause you anxiety, it won't teach you social skills.

>Will the emptiness ever go away?

Yes, but you need to work on that specifically. No Veeky Forums-tier bullshit. You need to get help, commit to it and be open to hear things you don't want to hear, talk about things you don't want to talk about and most of all, ADMIT things you never want to admit.

I'll say this. Getting to a shrink, admitting my problems, doing things that at first felt extremely humiliating, was much much harder than any sort of exercise you could throw at me.

basically this. the pain doesn't leave just gets easier to bear

i know how you feel user. i deal with it by striving towards an ideal, both in fitness and university. Putting real effort into becoming the ultimate being takes your mind off your worries.

I'm less depressed than before I started lifting and now I actually enjoy life I guess.
I'm still a DYEL though

Still dealing with depression and social anxiety, nothing changed since I started lifting

Lifitng helps, the emptiness will never leave you though.

Your life lacks meaning. Go to mass, pray the rosary lift weights, and volunteer for community service.

Tried to kill me self 13 months ago. Didn’t work. Lost 50 pounds. Still want to die.

What helped me the most was having a schedule. Going to gym three times per week at the same hour, having a little bit of discipline.
And if I get a better body that can't be bad either.