QTDDTOT Thread

QTDDTOT Thread.
Ask all your stupid questions here, don't kill an innocent thread just because you needed a simple one post answer.

Is there an actual exercise name for doing a calf raise and then a shrug, or would I just call that a superset of calf raises and shrugs?

Other urls found in this thread:

cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

is there a big difference between doing OHP standing vs. seated?
I'm lucky enough that my apartment has a gym with a power rack, but I can't fully lift the bar above my head without hitting the lights

posted this in the last thread right before it died

how do I start? currently a 135 lb skeleton, 5'11.
I needed to start eating more, better food and I think i've accomplished that, but I really don't know what exercises to start with/how many or how long.
I do pushups in my room but thats obviously not going to change anything, but I have access to a gym and I'm in a position where I can start improving myself.

did you read the wiki in full?

Honest to god buy Starting Strength and do the routine. Even if you decide to do something different, the book will teach you how to perform the 4 main exercises every lifter performs: squats, bench press, overhead press, and deadlift.

Read the sticky.
If you're too much of a bitch to go to the gym, start doing calisthetics in your house. Buy a pullup bar. Do pullups. Do bulgarian split squats. Do one armed pushups.

You'll lift different amounts of weight, but for the actual development of the shoulders, it won't matter. If you get really strong at the seated, you'll get really strong standing.
Just make sure you know how to activate your glutes and core when you go to standing.

Compounds are starting to decline. Should i up my protein on a caloric deficit? How much?

If I only do weighted paused chin ups for biceps, will I need to do curls to build my peak? Because my arm is starting to look a lot thicker but my bicep knot is starting to dwindle away it seems.

cut means you're going to lift less
this is the price you pay for not being stongfat

I have an off brand rower. If I did 95 strokes at the highest level in 2 minutes 20 seconds, around how far did I go?

Tried to get into the gym life last year but ended up mostly ducking around with both diet and excesses with minimal result. Plan on doing it properly this time but not sure where I should restart from since I've kinda fucked up my body comp and joints.

Not as far as if you did 100 strokes at the highest level in 2 minutes.

Front

I can deadlift 100kg's pretty cleanly and I know thats well below my limit, I'm sure I can dead 135 but my grip keeps slipping.

Training and shit isn't giving me the results I need to keep my progress table and I can't even up the reps cause my grip slips on 3rd rep despite knowing I can go more.

Chalk was recently banned in my gym cause of the mess it made, what should I do guys?

Cut hard, tone up and remember to eat your tuna nibba. Look and feel good, do some conditioning to improve functions on the cut and up your mobility via stretching exercises. Strech for 10-20 mins before workout, do the whole body.

As for the rest, I'm sure you know to bulk and lift right, good luck dude.

is it worth supplementing with creatine? do you even notice a difference in it helping you progress both strength and physique wise?

What is Veeky Forums's opinion on clif bars?

True. But I was more wondering how many meters I could approximate it at?

Without chalk you'll always be at a disadvantage. Anyway, these are your options:

Hook grip
Mixed grip
Straps
Actually train your grip (good exercises include hang from bar, farmer's walk, heavy rows/shrugs)

If you actually notice a big difference, you can be damn sure it's illegal. But looking at the reserach, the difference is there. Yes, it's worth it.

Y bitcoin keep going down

i know the creatine meme but in all seriousness to what extent can you expect it to enhance progress?

What is the best way to combine at least two gym days, two martial arts lessons and some cardio in one week?

They're candy bars. I think it's 24 grams of sugar per bar. Got dang if they aren't delicious though.

It added about 10 lbs to me in a couple months (i had been at a plateau) and I looked more jacked/sexy. I wasn't really much stronger and my hair thinned slightly.

i think they're obnoxiously dry and chewy and cut your mouth and take 10 minutes to eat and leave your mouth with little bits of asphalt or rubber or whatever they put in it for the next hour.

tbqh if you want a snack on the go, i suggest filling a sealable thermos with your favorite soup. it's a snack that's actually not cancer to consume.

>I wasn't really much stronger and my hair thinned slightly.
>my hair thinned slightly.
HOL UP WTF CREATINE THINS YOUR HAIR?

some people think so, google it and you'll get some results. I felt like it was for me and no longer take it regularly. I do still take it if I am sore as hell because it helps with muscle recovery. That being said I now only take about 1/3 the recommended dose.

I might actually do this. I work nights as a law enforcement officer so a good home cooked meal isn't always an option.

glad i could help. stay safe out there, cop bro.

I work as farm laborer so I walk and move about constantly around 10 hours a day. According to my Apple Watch I walk around 25,000 steps a day and burn about 6,000 kcal/day. Should I even bother with cardio if I’m burning this many kcal if I’m cutting?

You definitely don't need to bother, cardio won't give you any additional benefits that you're not already getting from your work.

Goddamnit, wish I knew this years ago. Sucks, cause half the protein shakes out there have creatine.

So what the fuck happened to reddit fitness? Went to get some ideas for a new routine and apparently 6x20rep isolation exerices, fighting bears, and pullups every day is the new way to go. Oh and drop sets are terrible for some unexplained reason.

What happens if you eat too much fiber?

The protein bars I have often push me over my fiber goal according to MFP. Should I give a shit about that?

I realize I could get whey powder or eat more meat, that's not what I'm concerned about.

oh ye and most of the progress pics on there now somehow managed to look worse than the rippertoe gomad retards

what about 5g of creatine a day? would that cause hair loss?

Do you guys eat cottage cheese with crackers or by itself?

Drink more water - everything is fine and you shit more. Drink not enough... impacted bowel.

is the stretch reflex in the squat just a meme? How do I find my stretch reflex without fucking my shit by bombing the descent? Where should I 'feel' it?

>no longer take it regularly. I do still take it if I am sore as hell because it helps with muscle recovery. That being said I now only take about 1/3 the recommended dose.
That's not how it works at all, fool.

about to get ll I can get out of SS, I've been looking into doing PHAT or PPL next, should I be?

also with the PHAT system it doesn't mention anything about INCREASING weight, there's a section regarding de-loading but that's about it, what does increasing look like on PHAT?

What happen if I jerk off before working out?

How does cumming before exercising affect my gains?

I've been eating a lot of rice and pasta lately. I know this including massive carbs, but if I'm under my caloric TDEE, am I ok eating this? I eat this almost every night

Most routines, if nothing is specified, use a double progression method.

Double progression means that you stay with the same weight over several workouts, aiming to add reps to the sets. Once you've succesfully built up to doing 3-4 extra reps on all sets, you increase the weight and drop down in reps again, and basically start over at this new weight.

Usually when hypertrophy is the goal you start at 8 reps and build to 12 reps. Then add 2.5 og 5 kg to the bar and start over at 8. Rinse repeat.

I will say though that many, if not most, programs are pretty retarded and progression hasn't been given a single thought. This is kind of dumb, because at the end of the day, the entire point of having a program in the first place is to make it easier to achieve progression, as opposed to doing random shit.

HOW DOES IT WORK TELL ME I DONT WANT TO GO BALD BUT I WANT GAINZ

How to fart less after yuge meal before work? Just ate 210g oats, banana, 4tbsp peanutbutter, etc and I feel it brewing already.

Do any of you lift fasted ? I like doing LISS fasted no problem.Im on a cut right now down 300 to 258

if you swallow it, then it's extra protein for your recovery

not a meme
go down at a controlled pace
you won't conciously feel it
if you want to feel it, do this
>take your best squat
>set it up on the safeties at the bottom position
>get below it and try to move it from a standstill
then you'll know that it's real.

Well first of all, if you want the ergogenic effects from creatine, it has to be taken regularly and in appropriate doses. You can't simply choose some custom approach you dreamed up yourself.

Regarding going bald, if you're going to go bald, you're going to go bald.
There is SOME limited unconfirmed evidence that creatine use MAY increase the rate this happens at. But again, this only applies to people who'd lose their damn hair anyway. If that's you, I suggest coming to terms with it rather than try to buy an extra 6 months of pretending to still have your hair.

are doing push presses a good way to get over a military press plateau?

Can I lose weight if I eat 1500 calories a day, but most of those calories come from a box of Twinkies? I used to eat 2 boxes a day but I've cut it down to 1 box a day. Currently 5`11 285lbs

i appreciate the input user. this is what i suspected (only accelerated natural hair loss but didnt cause) but i wanted to confirm.

i have another retarded question, how often should i consume a whey+creatine+whole milk proton shake? how many scoops of whey? how many grams of creatine? if i skip a day or two do i still need to take whey+creatine?

>Can I lose weight if I eat 1500 calories a day, but most of those calories come from a box of Twinkies?
yes

cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Nice now I don't feel so bad. It's just too good to quit bros.

Take 5g of creatine in a shake after training. If you do a loading phase first, effects will kick in sooner. Otherwise it's going to take some time to build up.

How much whey and milk you need or don't need depends on the rest of your diet. You should be aiming for a certain amount of calories and protein per day.

so creatine only on days that i work out, and drink it post-work out.

and consume whey on days i work out and rest days too?

not the poster to the original question but I wanted to add, so I should be drinking a shake after training? or Before? why after? why not before?

can I get kicked out of a gym for singing nazi wermacht in the locker room?

Creatine erryday. Whey after workouts and on off days if you don't get enough protein from food.

>consume whey on days i work out and rest days too?
Yes. Although once again, whey is a supplement. If you get enough protein from regular food, whey serves no purpose.

>why not before?
Before works too. There's no immediate ergogenic effect, so it's not like you'll get a boost or anything like you would from e.g. caffeine.
There's evidence that creatine is absorbed VERY SLIGHTLY better after training. So you may as well take it after training. But the effect is likely extremely minor, so if it's inconvenient, just take it whenever.

Doing GSLP. If I missed a day and want to do two days in a row should I do:

Tues: Bench, squat
Wed: OH, dead

or

Tues: Bench, OH
Wed: Squat, dead

If you are under your tdee and eat enough proteins and fats, you should be fine

Just do the regular workouts back to back.
If you find that performance is fucked on the 2nd day, well then you know not to go two days in a row. But I don't think you'll have any trouble.

What does it do for you to do sumo deads that start from a raised platform? Like 1/3 to 1/2 of the range of motion is gone because the weight rests on boxes/pads/whatever? At my gym I always see at least 1 person per day who does those and I don't understand it. Is it just an ego thing to pretend your numbers are higher than they are? I'm legitimately wondering because these guys never do it from the floor.

I"m 28, is it too late to make it, brahs?

Never too late brah, start today

started yesterday

No. That's only a question young people ask because they think "too late" is a thing.

This is called block pulls (or rackpulls if done from pins in a power rack).

As you point out you can handle more weight this way. Some people use it as an assistance lift to get used to handling heavier loads and hope it carries over to their regular deadlift.
But for regular deadlifts, most people seem to think that blockpulls don't do much to increase your deadlifts (because the top part of the motion is rarely where you miss the lift anyway). Not sure about sumo.

Anyway, it's still a legit bodybuilding exercise because the reduced range of motion really only affects the lower body. The back still does the same thing as in a full range of motion pull, but with very heavy loads. So it's a good upper back exercise, but if this is the goal, obviously you'll want to keep the reps relatively high. In my opinion at least.

If the goal is to increase the deadlift, most people will benefit more from doing the opposite thing ie. stand on top of a box to increase the ROM rather than reduce it.

Note that it's also possible that these people you see pulling this way are simply prevented from or uncomfortable pulling all the way from the ground. Maybe due to restricted mobility or past injuries. Realize that standard pulling height is completely arbitrary.

When doing any exercise involving my arms I get forearm pain. Both arms, same spot. A few inches below the elbow on the outside. It seems to get worse the more I progress, and it's worse as I'm putting down the weights.

What the fuck is that about?

ive been using it for 3-4 years, ive not experienced any thinning of my hair whatsoever. Make of that what you will.

Which exercises specifically?

Mosly during pull ups, push ups, and curls.

btw my foremarms are hilarious long and narrow compared to rest of me.

Try to only do exercises where your wrists aren't locked into position for a while. So ring pull-ups and DB curls only for example.

Check your shoulder mobility

Beta-Alanine while losing weight, yay or nay?

Bleughhhhh pull ups are my favourite exercise. Maybe I don't stretch enough.

Forearm is too weak. Isolate it and drop weight until it's stronger.

Also S T R E T C H

Thanks lads.

how do you do the good morning exercise with dumbbells properly? anyone have a video or tips? all the tutorials use barbell but they are always occupied at my gym.

You don't. You go ask the dudes at the barbells how long they're going to be and go after them.

1 month, lost about 4kg so far.

Cant really see any muscle growth can you guys?

maby my shoulders look abit bigger idk?

Is margarine bad for you? The single moms on my Facebook are saying it shares a load of ingredients with paint

you're not going to see muscle growth in 1 month on a deficit. it's possible to make significant changes to your appearance by losing fat, but gaining any appreciable amount of muscle mass is 10 times harder and takes 10 times as long

What do BCAA's do for my body physiologically?

Thoughts on tuna?

I am cute little femboi and I am scared of deadlifts and power cleans, what are the most effective alternatives for both?

My upper chest is lacking. Should I make slight incline DB press my first workout on chest day? Or should I continue to start with flat bench? What other exercises can I use to get my upper chest back up to speed?

Are you asking whether supplementing with BCAAs is worthwhile? Because then the answer is no. Eat regular food and if you do need extra protein, just use whey protein powder. It contains BCAAs, it's more effective and it's cheaper.

If you're asking how protein synthesis etc. works, then that's going to be a long ass answer...

You scared of getting injured?

Understand that these exercises are really just basic movements - jumping and bending over to pick something up respectively. Are you scared of that? Of course you're not.
Then we turn these movements into exercises when we add a barbell. That doesn't make it any more dangerous. What CAN make these exercises dangerous is how you choose to approach them. If you use way too much weight way too soon or simply go from doing nothing to training all the time over a short period of time, then you increase your risk of getting hurt. However, this is true for ANY exercise.

Basically, the more you push yourself, the more you're in risky territory. If you only increase your workload when you're comfortable with what you're currently handling, then it's very unlikely you'll ever run into trouble.

TL;DR will I snap my shit up or lose gains if I squat with a narrow stance?

I've had an almost constant tight-feeling pain in my hip flexors since October - it started in my right hip and seemed to get worse when squatting. I cut squats out of my workout for a few weeks because I thought it would heal up if I rested it, but it came back and is now in both hips. It's not excruciating and I can't feel it *all the time* but I'm aware of it whenever I bend at the hip, and squatting seems to exacerbate the pain.

Every now and again I've been 'testing' it by doing a few bodyweight squats to see if I still feel it - and I do - but today I tried squatting with a very narrow stance, less than shoulder width, and I couldn't feel it so much. I haven't tried this with weight on my back yet, and I'm wondering about form and balance. It might end up not helping with the pain at all but maybe it's worth a try, so will squatting like this fuck me up or not be of any help? I haven't figured out the cause of the pain yet, I haven't knowingly injured myself. I've googled the symptoms and predictably I've found a ton of conflicting advice and blog posts about unrelated injuries. I've got Elliot Hulse telling me to stretch my hip flexors and everyone else on the internet telling me that absolutely under no circumstances should I stretch them to avoid further injury. What the fuck have I done?

Sounds like classic hip impingement. It can be a bitch to get rid of. I'd seriously recommend seeing a professional.
Whatever you do, DON'T fucking ignore the pain and push through it. It can get really really bad.

531 has gotten too taxing for me. Any routine with a bigger focus on aesthetics?

Anons is easiyo yogurt healthy?

You guys think it's possible to get nauseous from your own smell? I suffer from severe excessive sweating which is only amplified by physical activity and I feel like my own smell makes me want to throw up.

Ok apparently I have a meniscus tear and this is horrible news to me. Looks like I am out of squatting for a while, RDL and rack pulls are the only lower body exercises I am allowed by the looks of it

Can anyone suggest a good upper body + RDL only routine and some motivation so that I don't just spiral into chaos and stop going to the gym altogether

how to restore mp

Has any brother here given up flat bench press altogether? I've thought about just doing decline bench from now on because i've got shit shoulders I'll have to look out for and it feels just so much better.

Any kind of bench press is tough on the shoulders if you overdo it or jump into something you're not ready for.

If decline bench doesn't bother you as much, it's probably a much smarter choice. However, since flat bench fucks you up, there's a good chance that your technique is shit, and if this is the case I wouldn't be surprised if decline starts bothering you as well sooner or later.
Check out Alan Thrall's video on how to bench press if you want to learn a very safe way to do it.

Having said that, I've often gone for long periods without flat benching at all. No exercise is mandatory. Choose whatever suits you at any given time.

Does running at 12.5 km/h with rising incline at 2 for 10 minutes and then rising it at 1 every 5 minutes for 30 mins ,5 days a week reduce test and hurt gains?