Bitch grip

For 3 months, my deadlift has stalled at 260 lbs for 5 reps. I do double overhand and my grip has prevented me from progressing. If I start doing anything heavier than 260, I start having to do sets of 2 reps as my grip fails after the 2nd rep. I've deloaded, doing higher volume sets, as well as having gone heavier to 275 lbs for 5 sets of 1 rep, and my grip is still not getting stronger. I'm able to do heavier weights ez with mixed grip, however, as a newbie, I know that means a ticket to snap city for me. What does Veeky Forums recommend?

Other urls found in this thread:

t-nation.com/training/tip-do-farmers-walks-like-this-to-get-ripped
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Straps.

Farmer walks. Start with 1x bodyweight
Static holds. deadlift and hold for a long time.
Plate hold. get two 45's and hold them vertical with an over hand grip
Wrist curl. (Google it), easy to make yourself.

no, grip strength, idiot

use a different grip style and in the mean time do specific grip training exercises. check grip training on reddit. dont overdo it or end up with forearm splints like me

Hook grip when you need it.

The answer is not to think of deadlifts as a grip exercise. Train grip separately, already perfectly good options in this post Mix your grip and stop missing out on gains for no good fucking reason.

Start mixing your grip. No need to have your deadlift stall.

>letting your DL stall while you waste time training grip
Yea, I'M the idiot, lol.

Double over will always limit you. Just do mixed grip.

Buy liquid chalk.
/thread

Mixed grip. Hook grip. Straps.

260 is a fucking weak ass deadlift i think you are just posting retarded shit for attention to be real with you...

buy them grip trainer thingies, they're pretty entertaining and you can take them anywhere to work to school etc

pic related

not only are you the idiot, you're a pussy as well.

>liquid chalk
just use regular chalk goddamnit

You use chalk, right? And you hold the bar properly, right? Low in the hand, in the crook. Right where palm ends and fingers begin.

Your grip really should be progressing with your diddly. No excuse to be failing at these weights.

Rude TBQH.
Have fun not making DL muscle group gains while you flex those fingers.
Went from 200 to 550 in 14 months ignoring grip.
Not to mention the fact that my grip vicariously improved anyway. I just switched to straps for the 90%+ 1RM max sets.
But hey, you got your memes, kek.

How do straps work?
Thanks, how long should I do farmer walks for per set?
What are the warning signs of forearm splints? I used to notice my forearms acting up during weighted dips
Thanks for the advice lads

I don't use chalk, but I hold the bar right
Op here, that guy isnt me

You put them on your wrist then wrap the rest around the bar and then you synch up the grip hand by hand. It's hard to explain verbally but if you get some, you'll figure out how to make them work pretty quick.

>how long should I do farmer walks for per set
t-nation.com/training/tip-do-farmers-walks-like-this-to-get-ripped

All these people telling you to put your DL on hold till your grip catches up are fucking morons.
Just double overhand till your grip gives and then use chalk or straps on subsequent sets.
You'll make DL gains and in doing so, the sets you are strap/chalk free will end up getting heavier and heaver and, viola, your grip got better without ever having to waste your fucking time training grip specifically along with improving your DL.
Sure, you'll never be able to do your best 1RM DL without chalk/straps but who gives a flying fuck?

Since no one has given you a complete answer....

Rows - just do them, moderate load, any variety, submaximal, let your lats do the work and not your legs. Helps you keep the bar closer when DLing and on optimal path

Paused squats & bottom up squats - generating power without an eccentric is key to the DL

Pullups - as with rows. As a bonus pulls will get you a baseline in static forearm work.

OHP - if you don't have the shoulder & core strength to press strictly, your DL is probably not at its potential either.

Curls - I am not kidding. Submaximal, just choose a rep range. Do about 60-80% of your max weight in your closers/accessories 2-4x/week. Strict, slow and controlled. Switch it up. The purpose here is not a pump but to condition the forearms, elbow joint, and biceps for added stability

Add in some sane quad/hamstring accessory work, and hit the DL 2-4x/week submaximally (are you noticing a theme?) Recover quick and let weekly/monthly volume do the work

No one has said reverse grip yet.

wtf

>t. guy who has been (metaphorically) spinning tires for months
Ignore all this shit and just stick to your routine, OP (assuming progressive overload is a part of it).
Go for the big numbers and your grip strength will follow. Yes, your grip won't be able to handle your 1RM but, again, that doesn't fucking matter so long as your grip improved proportionally to your DL 1RM.
There is literally no need to be able to do your DL 1RM without straps or chalk.
Don't fuck up a perfectly good program just because your grip is weak.

Buy some chalk, then! Bring it to the gym in a little tub. Apply it over the trash can and no one will care. Fucking /thread

There are other exercises for grip strength besides DL. If you're letting the biggest muscle group in your body atrophy because your baby hands can't hold the bar, you're retarded. Straps are not a permanent solution, but use them if you have to while you add grip strengthening exercises to your routine.

I should clarify.
If your program has Rows, squats, pullups, curls or OHP, you should do them. They're solid exercises.
But DO NOT alter a proven program in any way ever just to improve your DL grip strength.
Just use straps/chalk to allow your DL to progress and I guaran-fucking-tee you, your grip will improve.
Yes, at ~85% iRM weight you may have to resort to chalk/straps but there's literally nothing wrong with this so long as the wight you can do without chalk/straps got better along the way (which it will if you use a good program with progressive overload).

*~85% 1RM

sage