BJJ general

Hey guys, started training BJJ one month ago.

Fuck me this is fun. Feels good using my strength for something and trying to wreste / submit other dudes.
Got my third ever submission today, choked a new guy (he did some judo before) in a guillotine on the ground. I never even trained a guillotine, I just saw it in a youtube video.

Also, how do you train for BJJ? I do PHUL, and I'm considering if the volume is too much.

Other urls found in this thread:

breakingmuscle.com/fitness/strength-training-for-judo-part-1-training-grip-and-cardio
youtube.com/watch?v=uKVErVDA0JA
youtu.be/PiTrlEdCIrE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Honestly just general strength in everything is pretty good but I'd say a strong squat and deadlift is good since you used your back and legs more than arms. I started last month in an intro course in college and all the skinnyfat soyboys fear me.

Yeah I'm going to focus a lot more on my deadlift for that overall strength. Might even start doing power cleans just to become more explosive in general.

An intro course is great, as you can all progress evenly and you can see where you are in accordance to the others. Just remember to work technique and not just smash them like a brute lmao.

What the hell?
I've been training for almost 3 months and i haven't even submitted one guy.
Do you have a background in martial arts or do I suck that much

Be sure to work on your grip too, it's always handy for a tight choke. Intro classes are great too since sparring is not really strict so you get to roll with qts

I have a background in taekwondo, muay thai and boxing. Never really done grappling though aside from muay thai clinch.
I honestly don't know man, sometimes I just try stuff I have seen from watching UFC or videos I found on youtube.
I have gotten 2 submissions on smaller guys by an arm triangle choke I think, because I can remember the submission from an UFC game I played when I was younger.

One reason might be that you roll with someone who is eather heavyer or bigger than you.
Try rolling with someone your own size much more fun

man be careful with forcing submissions you don't know using raw strength. Besides the increased risk of injuring your opponent it's also an open invite for upper belts to give you a karmic beatdown.

mainly calisthenics. Flexibility is the key is you want to train long. Strenght is good, but except dl and squats, only calisthenics are needed.
Lots of pull-up for grip, muscle-up, dips, hips and back extensions, squats, shrimps squat, bridge and front bridge, planks and ab-wheel. There you go.
Up hill sprints and burpees for conditionning and you're set.
Maybe your partner are better/stronger than his...

Yeah I started watching more youtube videos of Chewjitsu and Stefan Kesting and it it improved me bit defence wise.

I'm one of the smaller ones so I guess that has influence.

I just get demotivated that all the white belts own my ass

Who makes good rash guards that aren't covered in obnoxious designs?

Im not doing BJJ right now because im a shy fat fuck and would probably look ridiculous in a rash guard,hopefully i will be skinny enough to do it,i think it is a great hobby.
Any fat dudes know how it is?

Tatami are my go to.

Do you think being the smallest will be shitty or will I still make decent progress? Particularly asking about kick boxing

>newbies sparring with each other

oh lawd

Judofag hopping on this thread. What lifts to do, all I know is that compound is good.

Dude. Train your core like a motherfucker. Do rollouts. Standing ab wheel rollouts. Leg raises. Bicycles (like leg raises but you get the idea) and planks. Plus train flexibility a LOT. You will regret if you don't. Grappling can be taxing for your lower back. Also train your neck. You will thank me in the long run. Remember. BJJ is a COMBAT sport. You can get injured badly.

one of the brown belts at my club is pretty fat so i say go for it if you really want to try it

You're thinking about training for BJJ the wrong way. If your goal is BJJ, shit like deadlifts is just going to fry you out. Low rep high weight isn't the way to go.

You want lots of cardio. Lots of core. Lots of pulling (pull ups, rows, etc). Lots of hyperextensions. You want high reps, high sets, low rest. As much of a meme as it is, kettlebells are great for BJJ carryover.

I've been doing BJJ for seven years and I've tried all kinds of stuff to supplement my training, and I've seen others do different things that work for them.

The best advice i can give you is try different things out. You have to do what feels good for you. For some it's cross fit, others it's strict Olympic lifts, maybe for you it'll be a PPL routine or bro split. There's a couple guys i train with that only rock climb for exercise outside of training.

For me, I find that as long as I'm attending class four or more times a week, i don't need to do a lot of cardio on my own time. If i do, its ten to twenty minutes of intervals after my lifts, which i do only compounds and calisthenics to maintain muscle balance and strength and to prevent injury.

does BJJ teach you how to defend from crotch kicks/punches and similar?

it's a grappling art with no strikes so no but if you're a blackbelt you'll have no problem merking your average drunk/untrained shitlord in any altercation you'll find yourself in

doesn't sound much of a 'combat' sport to me

Not BlowJobJitsu, but Judo here
I just signed up to uni Judo section but Im total newfag in martial arts and have month before first training, what can I do to improve stamina fast?
Couch 2 5k or something?

Periodized(!) high weight low rep (talking 2-3) are GOAT for grappling in general. Unbreakable posture combined with basic defense and some sense of balance will stuff 90% of anything guard.

Just don't run a full blown linear progress PL routine alongside grappling past beginner/intermediate level lifts and you're good. You'll notice when you start frying yourself, and that's when you cut back.

t. Judo black belt/BJJ purple belt with 3xbw deadlift, used to compete in PL alongside too

can you help me? I want to improve my stamina because I feel like I would be out of steam after 30 seconds
What cardio would you recommend for judo?

>some 125lb 5'6" predyel boasting about his side control
>"once I get someone in my side control I can hold them down indefinitely"
>one day we were live drilling guard/side control/back escapes
>pair up with him for side control
>escape 3 times during his turn to hold me down
Not sure if I should feel this good about destroying peoples pride

pretty much. the best ways to improve your cardio for bjj is just to find a buddy and roll with them until your both tired. otherwise, just run until your tired; not some specific distance.

>Also, how do you train for BJJ?
You do BJJ a lot.

Lifting isn't really good for grappling, while it's downright shit for striking.

>Periodized(!) high weight low rep (talking 2-3) are GOAT for grappling in general. Unbreakable posture combined with basic defense and some sense of balance will stuff 90% of anything guard.
Lmao.

>t. Judo black belt/BJJ purple belt with 3xbw deadlift, used to compete in PL alongside too
LMAO2

You can train no gi for mma, then it will be with punches.

hey guys
really want to start training bjj/grappling - i wrestled for a couple years in high school and I loved it, been missing it ever since. Something I'm worried about is that I have a few piercings on my face. I have a hoop on one nostril and I have a few earrings that look like pic related. I know I'll need to take the nose ring out at least during practice, but could I tape up the earrings, or would they have to come off?

breakingmuscle.com/fitness/strength-training-for-judo-part-1-training-grip-and-cardio

absolutely smashing other noobs due to being bigger and stronger than them is so fun

getting smashed by a blue belt who is about the same size and strength as me, not so much lol

i do PPLPPLx alongside BJJ, maybe you guys are just pussies? bjj only takes from recovery when you roll really hard, and even then its nothing compared to a heavy leg/pull day

>will be with punches
any video you can provide that shows BJJ defense against eye gouging and similar?

You got out from someone who weighs 125 lbs and you’re bragging about it? That guy and you are fags

Yeah it’s the ancient technique series called “smash them into the floor with a double leg or osoto gari and begin bashing their face until they forget their mothers name”

I see a lot of people using tape to cover up piercings so I guess it works fine.youtube.com/watch?v=uKVErVDA0JA

I think offense is the best defense when it comes to eye gouges. The guy who eye gouges will invariably be in a shit position since he doesn't know how to grapple, like the bottom of mount, side control or having his back taken and when going for the eye gouge he will have to put his arms in a vulnerable position to do so. Doing so against someone with more than a years experience means instant armlocks, wristlocks or further loss of position.

Besides the movement of just reaching for someones face is not structurally strong and if you don't have controll the guy is free to move his head and can deflect weak attacks by shuting his eyes. The only was I see eye gouges being done effectively is if it's done by someone who can grapple.

im 6'3 and a 5'6 chick that been training for years rushes my ass the fuck down dont stress it

>2017
>not doing weighted eyelid blinks
shiggy

Never really did much cardio other than training myself, but I train 7-9 times a week and cycle 30km a day. Much of it is also just not wasting energy when not needed.

Other than that, a non-retarded CrossFit type approach works quite well. Kettlebell stuff, burpees, sprints, oly lifts, battle ropes, uchi komi etc. Just stay focused. HIIT with some lifting and bodyweight thrown in basically.

No lies though.

>I see a lot of people using tape to cover up piercings
can you elaborate on what kind? are they on the ears?

skipping and general boxing workouts are good.

>No lies though.
>recommending max strength for grappling combat sport
>Deadlift
Come on.

>Competes as powerlifter on the side
That's just the cherry on your cake of lies.

Haven't competed in PL in two years due to excessive travelling, but want a pic of the belts too?

Yeah that's completely wrong. If you want to get conditioned, then roll for more rounds.

After doing SS and getting my squat up to 350 lbs, I'm subbing people left and right at my club. Strength makes bjj ez mode

I also submit the only girl in my class regularly

Under Armour compression shirts

Do gi!

>t. dyel 50/50 leglock only master

How much of meme is combat Jiu Jitsu?

You don't need bjj for that just close your legs bruh baka

Randori evey class no excuses

>he hasn't jumped on the leglock train

It's a tradition in Brazil to put your dick in someone's ass after you've submitted them 100 in a row. Keep it up you're almost there!

Judo is a vastly superior sport. While these gues are in the hospital for their dislocated shoulder that’s also fractured in 3 spots, who’s gonna take care of Stacy :^)

Yes they are on the ears and no I don't it's anything more special than the same stuff you use to tape your fingers. Like generic brown/white sportstape.

Judo is utter shit now. I did BJJ for 6 month when to our club came judoka with 3 years experience, university champion. I washed floor with him just because he doesn't see single/double leg shots and ankle picks. Also in my BJJ club we always starting from stand up and first technique in workout is always about stand up.

>lifting isnt good for grappling

youre subbing people with squat muscles????
are you putting them in scissor holds or what??

"Purple belt of 5 years here.

Jarvan has the right idea.

lifting isn't that important. You need to do it for injury prevention obviously. You don't want to be pulling groins and hamstrings on the regular, or tweaking your back after all. All that said, I am a much better (and stronger) grappler now with a shitty 120kg squat, than I was with a 150kg squat. BJJ is about technique and endurance (both cardio, and strength endurance). Strength helps, but not as much as those, AND you can develop a decent amount of strength through simple methods like hard drilling/sparring, calisthenics, sled work etc.

FYI: Best guys I've rolled with? None of them lift for strength (I'm talking world class grapplers). Strongest guys I've rolled with? No heavy weight training.

So yes, he's correct, heavy lifting is essentially the antithesis of BJJ training. Powerlifting and grappling don't really complement that well, especially when pursued seriously.

Anyway, if you want to do both, Larry's link up there is money. Paul Carter also wrote a good entry on training for MMA on his blog.

Ross over at rosstraining has a few good articles on there as well. His stuff is great if you're looking to focus more on the grappling.

Personally I'd advise you to lower your training volume, on either the sparring or weights, if you need to. Rolling hard 3-6 times in a BJJ class is deceptively hard on the body, just as playing soccer or basketball is. If you start feeling beat down, you know something is up."

i can only speak from anecdotal experience but when people tried to eye gouge me to stop me from grappling them i just closed my eyes. being on the bottom makes you unable to put your weight into pressure so all the guy was doing was awkwardly trying to jam his thumb into one socket while my head was turned.

needles to say he got leg - kimura'd in 5 seconds after that

did you break it?

Thats been my one hangup (though not when drunk) with bjj. How far do you take it?

When drunk I've choked fuckers out fairly quickly. But go so far as to break his arm / wrench his shoulder, should the opportunity arise ?

Really interesting video that discusses this and other grappling concepts as well
youtu.be/PiTrlEdCIrE

on the street i would just grab your nuts and make them pop in my hand

all fighting styles that don't prioritize
>escape
>nuts
>throat

are coping hard

Mind linking any of the things youre talking about?
Also i do believe strength training helps. There is a reason why there are weight classes in BJJ, and its always better to have muscle than fat.
In wrestling you have to lift, and its for the same reason. Easier to manipulate the opponent when youre stronger.

Find someone proficient in BJJ or other grappling styles and just try to grab their nuts in a fight. Every time I read shit like this it makes me laugh

are you retarded, in OP's pic the dude's hand is right next to the nuts, he could be making the explode right now

If he doesnt fight the choking hand he has less than 5 seconds, before he passes out, to do something. Trust me dirty fighting will only get you so far.

You have never been in a fight. I had a dude grab my nuts nuts once, just bfor i choked him out and boot fuckd his head into oblivion. Testicles are not the anwser

>In wrestling you have to lift
I know WCMS in greco-roman that never touched a barbell

>i know one person who doesnt fit the mold, so it doesnt matter

Strength helps with grappling. End of story.

Thanks my dude.

Is gracie combatives worth doing if i dont want to compete in bjj? or should i just find another gym

Download Roadmap to BJJ by Stephen kesting or something. Helped me along greatly. His full video series is on a certain Bay for pirates website.

>Great success!!

t. never trained either
You're gonna injure yourself way more in judo

Anyone got a boner when under the mount?

Only time I was close is when a well endowed lady from the beginners group was trying to learn the crosscollar-choke and she almost smothered me with her tits.

Depends on training/training partners desu. All I've gotten so far is mat burn and achey joints from starting after being sedentary, but I actually try to rest and pace myself, so eh.

yep, its basic self defense that gives you a good place to launch from if you want to do more... witch you probably will if you stick with BJJ for more then lhalf a year

Who /kosenjudo/ here?

Met some very nice girls in my university judo class.

You train BJJ by doing more BJJ.

As far as weights look at a two day 5/3/1 split or power to the people 20-25 min workouts, and do more BJJ.

Welcome to the dark side, we have chokes.

I started BJJ at 320. With intermittent fasting, BJJ, and weight training I am now 250.

Get your fat ass in class, start with the gi, and work till you vomit. Keep going to class.