How the fuck are you supposed to do The Press™??

how the fuck are you supposed to do The Press™??
Every fucking time I do it I feel like shit because
A. I'm 151lb and can only do 85lbs for sets of 5
B. It inflames minimum 1 shoulder literally every time.

I do it once a week, if that, because it's so fucked. I just want big shoulders man...

Shrug at the top you fag.

It's a really hard lift to progress. I just started back lifting after 2 years off the wagon and I'm struggling with 70lb. I guess you just gotta eat more, rest more, and keep at it. You can also buy microplates (1.25lb) so you can add 2.5lbs to your press instead of 5lb.

you need to do more squats, they increase your testorones

It's a breezes mate. You gott make sure, like in the pic, not too wide with the grip! That's the first one. DON'T grip any wider than slightly wider than shoulder width. Second this, DO NOT FLARE YOUR FUCKING SHOULDERS! Keep them pointing forward, no outwars. Try it right now, imitate the Press, but flare your shoulders outward. Doesn't feel very good for the shoulders.

my elbows are deadlocked infront of me and I grip it at exactly shoulder width and it still feels like shit how the fuck people do 2pl8+ with this fucking lift without blowing out their shoulders is beyond me

>tighten your abs, quads and glutes
>push your chest out
>rest as long as you need between sets

I never even remember training this shit and I can rep out 155lbs. I think it had something to do with the fact I trained incline press a shit ton back when I didn’t really know how to lift and it just kinda carried over

Im scared to do this lift. I want to do strong lifts but is there a replacement for this press?

If your scared of this how do you Bench-i assume by yourself as your just starting out without being scared you'll drop the weight

You could do it seated but there is less lower body and ab activation.
Or you could just man the fuck up

Fuck off, scooby

Bench isnt scary, what am I gonna drop it on my chest? also I bench with a spotter so I cant drop it on myself easily. If I drop it on myself here I die

It's a really simple lift. Just start with the bar or get some dumbbells. Jeff has a video explaining how to do it with dumbbells.
After progressing, just grab the bar and try it.

If you're gripping at exactly shoulder width (like center of your fist directly in front of shoulder joint), that's probably too narrow. I press 160x5 and if I go that narrow I struggle to press 1pl8.

Are you getting your head "through the window" as soon as the bar passes your face? That's a critical part of the movement, it's a lot easier to pass the sticking point if you get the bar back over your shoulders, instead of in front of them, ASAP.

Drop the weight and fix form.

Tbh. the best fix I ever did was just trying to keep everything upper body tight(imagine an imaginary ball in your pits you're trying to squeeze) and elbows slightly in front of the bar. Like figure 1.

And don't worry about flaring your elbows on your way up like figure 2.

Rotator cuff exercises on rest days and dead hangs every day will help your shoulder.

I genuinely cannot stress more the benefits of dead hangs the benefits have been unbelievable

Oh, and you might wanna add light facepulls, rows and lateral raises. And try to do some warm-ups with bands before your sets. And

RIght so technique is pretty simple. Just make sure you're forcing your head through when the bar is over it.

If you're having other kinds of trouble then working on my mobility helped me a lot. Make sure you've stretched before hand and warmed up adequately. I don't have great shoulders myself after neglecting stretching for so long and barbell bench is a bitch for my shoulders, but stretching helped a lot with OHP.

I don't lift mega. 3x6 at 62.5kg at 82kg so not terrible, not amazing. But I'm making good progress and stretching/mobility work really helped.

If you need help with what lifts to do to help with OHP then holla

Oh and if you want big shoulders make sure you're hitting the side and rear lats plenty. Don't miss your side lateral raises and face pulls.

How much do you lean back when you do this?

Drop the weight and do higher reps. Shoulders respond better to higher reps anyway, unless your goal is to just impress randos you'll never meet on a chinese cartoon board

how long have you been lifting op? Lower the weight down to 75/80 lbs until you can do more sets.

oh mb, your already doing sets of 5. Thought you wrote only 5 reps. Are you dumbell pressing as well?

I stand upright like you’re supposed to. The most I’ve ever snapped myself up was straining my shoulders and never once my spine

thoughts on form?

Too much lower back movement and loosenes in your abs and glutes. You shouldn't be trying to bench while standing up and rock back to get more power.

Tighten your abs and glutes. Also, I've found that taking your shoes off helps a lot.

It's hard to tell from this angle, but it looks like the path isn't very vertical. You'll have an easier time if you keep your face closer to the bar and correct your posture as soon as you get the bar above your forehead.

dont arch your back, squeeze your ass muscles together it helps you; but arching your back while doing this exercise is bad mmk

Many thanks.