Calisthenics

what is Veeky Forums's opinion on calisthenics? is it a viable way of getting fit?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You won't look huge like piano. But you'll look good after a year or 4.

it's cool and some of them can do some impressive shit, but it's not a viable way to get fit. the problem is that it just takes way too much time to get anywhere. the people you see who're great at calisthenics are typically athletic people who've done sports all their life, often with a gymnastic background or similar.

if you take the average of of shape fitizen and put him on a calisthenics routine he'll spend forever getting absolutely nowhere. if you put him on a good lifting routine with proper instructions then he could actually make some decent progress in a year or two

It's viable with a good diet but it's not an effective way to get fit. Do it alongside a regular gym routine if you wanna do it.

Good for functional strength, conditioning and balance. Don't listen to the "get jacked" fags who only care about superficial visual appeal. Pair it with some irregular-shaped object lifting and a good diet and the world will be your gym.

Do Calis with some weight training (a kettlebell or whatever), and reap the best of both worlds.

Good if your goals are more functional and uselss muscle mass would hold you back. ie - mma, certain sports, etc.

If you just want to get big in general - weight lifting is easier and a more efficient use of your time. Calisthenics requires a shit ton of commitment.

>viable way to get fit
Sure if you absolutely can’t afford a gym
Membership or time to read
>best way
Yeah no it’s mostly for insecure twinks

>functional

More like fictional lolzzzz.

>superficial visuals

Nigga people who planche only do it to show off

In my experience it's better to start with weights then transition to calisthenics if that's what you want to do. You build strength and muscle faster initially with weights which gives you a leg up starting bodyweight exercise

It's a good foundation to build on; pull ups, dips and inverted rows gave me some carry over into the gym. Once you get past certain strength levels you should probably only do calisthenics as a last resort if a gym isn't available.

You can get just as big if you arent dumb. You just gotta progressively overload and eat at a surplus. Your muscles dont know the difference between resistances.

You just got to keep progressing to harder moves. Or you can just add weight to yourself to make them harder. Also add in accessories.

you can emulate pretty much anything you can do with weights with it and make it progressively harder to near impossible so i'd say so.

I'd probably more likely to get jacked doing calisthenics than you are doing 5x5. People who do calisthenics hit every part of their upper body with 100s of reps each workout and for hypertrophy volume is king. Your lower body won't develop so you'll look like a gorilla but you'll get bigger for sure.

Anyone knows a good routine?

You can do lunges with a sandbag or anything heavy to development of the lower body

>functional strength
Deadlift and OHP are way more functional than dragon flag whateverthefucks

>bodyweight
>progressive overload
Pick fucking one

If you cant even pick up a barbell, its a good start. You wont get big and you wont get strong. If you wanna lose weight, just stop eating.

>Just want to work on arms and shoulders
>Almost every park has this new retarded playground

>can't progressive overload bodyweight
you're clinically retarded. how is going from something like Pushups > Decline Pushups > Archer Pushup > One-Arm Pushup not progressive overload. This applies to any PROGRESSION, Pullups, Handstands, Planches, Levers. It's all PROGRESSIVE
jesus christ i hate this fucking board when it comes to calisthenics.

Deadlifts are the least functional lift there is you fucking retard

>changing to a different exercise is adding weight
That’s like saying decline and flat bench are the same

>picking things up isn’t functional
Do you do anything physical?

>progressive overload is limited to adding weight
i was right, you are actually clinically retarded.

Do a planche push up a hand stand push up a front lever row or one arm chin and post a gif of it on here.

I'll fucking weight. By changing the leverage your muscles work you create progressive overload. You are dumb as fuck.

wait* Had training on my mind.

thats not calisthenics, at that point why not just hold weights instead of a sandbag

>If you cant even pick up a barbell, its a good start. You wont get big and you wont get strong. If you wanna lose weight, just stop eating.
holy shit you're retarded

i guess you hate calisthenics because you can't fucking do pushups or handstand or pullups or anything. u fat cuck

unironically reddit's routine

reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine

Calisthenics is good for everyone to do. You can do weighted calisthenics afterwards to keep up the progression.
Like once you can do ten to fifteen quick pull ups you add a weight on your waist. Issue is most newfags to exercise get to a point where they do a thousand pushups, sit ups, and pull ups but don't add a weight on to make it difficult again.

It's called weighted calisthenics, I don't get why people think you can't by any means use something heavy to make the exercises harder

but the progression on a bodyweight routine will automatically have larger gaps to cross than a strength routine at the gym.

This, people think that you are prohibited to use anything heavy to make calisthenics more challenging.
Specially meatheads that think like this
> Hur durrr the only way to gain mass is using free weights, muh iron and stuff

Viable way do getting fit, has a lot of neat holds and tricks. God tier core stuff. Very lack luster for legs. Progress is slow. It won't get you big like lifting will

one arm push up and one arm pull ups are like extremelly hard and not easy to do, so calisthenics can be as good as lifting.

but is easier to simply put 5lb more on the weights than move from one exercise to the other.
also bigger commitment.
also no legs.

I have started doing a routine since begin this year, am very happy with the gains I'm seeing. Will look Veeky Forums in the summer, can't wait.

gymnast here, my opinion is the only one that matters.

Calisthenics can be good and can get you very very very fit. "functional" is a retarded word to use - the only "functional" thing you can do is get a job or get trained for a better one. Jokes aside, running and throwing are the only two real "functional" moves you can do, everything else is varying degrees of dysfunctional when taken to an extreme.

That being said, the Gymnastic Bodies progressions are good if you want to condition like a gymnast would. Basically, you do lots of weird bodyweight exercises paired with incredibly painful stretches. After several months you will be a lot more flexible and all around "mobile".

Show me your ways user.
PD: show body pls

Years ago when the bodyweight threads were more common on Veeky Forums I really wanted to get into that gymnast stuff. Do I have to do it separate from lifting? How slow is the progress?

I can do a straddle planche for a few seconds and one arm chin ups for reps so I'm at a decent level to rate its efficacy

>aesthetics
You get a better ROI from barbell compound lifts AND/OR isolation movements simply because you can manage weight increments and muscle targeting more effectively. It's just that simple. You'll look good once you do advanced stuff, but it's not for the impatient. You will flat out look better faster with the right compound or isolation selection

>time investment
Barbell time investment more or less stays about the same throughout your lifting career. With bodyweight you will be spending a ton of time early on building strength and once you get advanced workouts take no time. I hypothesized that this would be the case when I first started and has turned out to be true. It's one of the main reasons I do half of my routine as BW

>ease of training
You can do certain BW skills anywhere or with just a pull up bar. That's true for beginner and advanced variations. Certain progressions or lifts altogether require special gear. Not necessarily true, but if you choose the right lifts it makes it easy

There is a point where the gains will stop. If you want to get bigger, you will need to transition to gymnastics...It's good for manlets though

Depends on your meaning of fit.
If by fit you meaning being healthy, then yes calisthenics is viable.

If fit means looking like Arnold in his prime or just being incredibly huge, then no it is not viable.

>one arm push up and one arm pull ups are like extremelly hard
No where near on the same level of difficulty. Most people who have done push ups for a while will be able to do a one arm variant if someone shows them the correct method and technique. If one arm pull up is a 10, one arm push up is a 4.

It’s pretty fun

Doesn't apply to anything that requires a different technique to lift. In addition, it's horrible for general athletics, fighting, and literally everything else. The difference is a capable and balanced body.

when do you know to switch from long workouts to short ones. I am close to getting front lever and hollow back press

Anyone has any idea what might be causing sharp pain during handstands. I've been doing them for a year. First time I get it. Sudden onset. And I haven't even be training them that often.
Pain is localized on the back of the palm, not the wrist (third(middle) metacarpal bone). I get it even in wrist stretches (pic related stretch is the only causing it) I could go lean a lot further a week ago. Now I can barely stand in a plank without getting pain.

Turbo brainlet

If you weigh more than a sack of flour then yea it's good. If you can do full handstand and planche push ups plus one arm China and front lever rows you will be strong as fuck. As for aesthetics, you can get pretty big as long as you eat. Don't listen to the retards who think doing 20 push ups a day is what bodyweight training is.

Long workouts are from high intensity where you need long rest times. You'll be doing long workouts before acquiring a skill.

Your workouts cab become shorter after you have said skill. I basically greased the groove and decreased rest time between sets. I did a lot of other stuff, but that's the short of it

Depends what you mean by fit. If you mean aesthetic you should do calisthenics with lifting to look shredded af. But just doing calisthenics will make you ottermode pretty much depending how hard you train.

I dont know shit about shit m8 but i suggest you stop doing what causes the pain for a while and use one of those bands on your wrists. Im part of a cheerleading team and those things usually resolve hand and wrist pain

See if externally rotating your hands reduces pain.

If not, rest. Your hand width is probably goofing your palm. I had similar issues. If you have an ulna that is proportionally larger or shorter than your average lad, then you will have to adjust your width accordingly. 30%-40% of people will have this issue.

It's also very possible that you roll your hands in such a way that undue pressure falls on other parts of your hand. You can fix this with width adjustment as well OR by rolling the wrist a bit. Be careful because forcing your wrist to roll during something like a planche can cause tendonitis over time

I usually externally rotate elbows on every exercise. Externally rotating the wrists in a HS is too advanced for me.
The thing you said about the ulna. Not sure about it. I do have a hyperextending elbow on the same arm that got the pain, and that has caused issues in the past, but nothing like this(used to have forearm splits on hyperextending arm)

I am not sure I understand rolling the wrist during planche. Do you mean raising the palm of the ground like pic related? If so my fingers point exactly to the side, perpendicular to the body, so I am not doing this. Btw since a week or so I started trying out planche leans with fingers pointing backwards, like they would be on rings. Feels interesting, a lot harder.

I'd really like to see pictures of the ulna thing if you got some.

Yeah, that's what I mean by relieving pressure from palms. That's rolling then forward. You could roll them slightly to either side as well.

No pictures of ulna. Just know that the proportion will affect your optimal positioning. Mess around with different widths and see if that helps

Hmm, might be true the thing with the ulna. Wider hands allows me to lean a lot further, almost like before I got the pain. I'll try handstands later, too exhausted right now, just finished an epic workout. Thanks for the tip, I honestly didn't expected good advice from Veeky Forums especially for bodyweight training.

I honestly only come here for the memes. Fit stops being useful for anyone above the intermediate range with the exception of rare and vague insights from a very rare user.

High level training advice is so specific that you just have to find your own way

Naw, most ppl who jump on RR looking for aesthetic gains will be dissapointed. I'd rather have someone do something like a high rep day (pullups/dips/pushups/squats/etc.), weighted day (medium intensity), day to work on skills, intensity (front levers, planche, etc.), day dedicated to weights (squats/deads/etc.), rinse repeat