Veeky Forums

Veeky Forums

I'm 23 and need a new hobby, I don't feel like just lifting is a valid enough hobby for chicks to impress.

I'm thinking of taking up boxing, can I get any good starting at 23? Can I win a tournament of some sort?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kkXtYxHfENw
youtube.com/watch?v=D4Vg-US5JX0
youtube.com/watch?v=ugADOm5SE44
instagram.com/p/Be1S5B9g3ZV/?taken-by=frankboxingcoach
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

ffs try it before you worry about winning tournaments

First off:
>Wanting CTE
Secondly:
>Winning a boxing tournament against beaners and nigs who have been boxing since they could walk
Most coaches won't even look at someone past their teen years, the experience gap is just too big. There are exceptions (ie: Bernard Hopkins), but those are exceedingly rare.
Boxing is great for fitness, but don't plan on being anything close to a champ at your age.

sure.
do it
just dont think you can get "pro" its possible but only if you have fine ass genetics for boxing

start taking classes and enjoy the true alpha mode, a male with muscles who knows how to fight

you will lose mass tho, but thats ok i guess
trade some of it for agillity and power

I don't box so I'm not sure but I was watching some undercard on fs1 last year and there was a guy who didn't start till 22 so I guess you can

brain damage on amatuer level is kinda rare

not pro.. I'm talking amateurs

>Can I win a tournament of some sort?

You'll be drowning in pussy once you win the kumite. Good luck, champ!

You want to use eg. Not ie.

Thanks buddeh
t. brainlet

Why not do bjj the surpior of the sport.
>no cte
>learning stuff that will actually help you in a fight
> if your good you can start training MMA and already have a good foundation

This guy gets it.
Also if your BJJ gym offers wrestling, you'll get swole as fuck and become a hardass real quick if you stick with it.

The only thing about wresteling is i feel its alot more dmg to the body. I have a hard time doing Bjj class+wrestling in one day. My bodys just to beat up.

>Not doing whatever it takes

I have a perfect body for Bjj. Is the experience gap too big to start at 25? I played college handegg, I’m very quick and explosive for 5’10 210

im sorry you have about 0.001% chance of winning a tournament unless you're a natural born fighter.

BJJ isn't like boxing, genetics won't help you that much all things considered, it's much more experience-based.
EVERYONE gets the shit kicked out of them for the first few months.

>boxing
daily reminder that boxing is shit tier unless you're a nog with subpar cranium capacity

That’s what my buddy is telling me, is the learning curve big?

I still do it, it just catches up after a while. I start getting sick and injured.
You can have 10/10 genetics and youll still get assfucked by some 145lb asian boy. And no 25 is not to late, i started last year at 23 and i just placed 4th in my first torny with intermediate people. Not something im trying to brag about but im saying with work you can do alot.

Why not have both? Work hands and wrestling+take down defence and you're all good.

>not being a knifer
pleb

>BJJ
>learning stuff that will actually help you in a fight

pick one

>Not going to jail for murder/attempted murder
ikr? what a fucking idiot

What part of bjj wont help you.

Never too late to start; too late to go pro.

You could get good at 23 but you will need to make up for many years of experience. Not impossible, but would take yeara of training, so unless youre up for that , box socially

It won't help you not get punched in the face. And the majority of street fights are multiple attackers, so his friend will kick your head in while your setting up a sub on the first guy.

BJJ is a great sport but do boxing or muay thai for the street.

Boxing is fun and you should definitely check it out, but be prepared to wonder how 15 year old skinny black kids can school you so hard

>fighting multiple attackers
STOP, theres no martial art that will save you from being attacked by 3-4 people. The only one that will help is called "track and field" and bolt the fuck out of there.

I'm not talking about 1v3, yes thats unrealistic. I'm talking about you and your bros vs some other group of cunts, everyones drunk. This is the majority of fights I see.

>Take dude down
>ground and pound
>hope your friends dont get beaten before you move to next guy.
What are you in the outsiders? Who goes out and has rumbles anymore?

unrealistic huh? this could easily have been 3 or 4 guys against one, not the only similar video you'll find. one hit, knock guy the fuck out, next hit, next guy down.
youtube.com/watch?v=kkXtYxHfENw

brutaaaal
youtube.com/watch?v=D4Vg-US5JX0

Any British town centre on any friday or saturday night since cities have existed. Never lived anywhere else but drunk men must fight over dumb shit everywhere.

if you wanna be a great fighter you need standup AND grappling. like muay thai,boxing and bjj. or mma+muay thai.

If you wanna win any amateur tournement of any sorts, it's probably better to specialize. boxing helps muay thai a great deal, though.

for streetfights, just be unpredicatble, agile, cheap and simple.

These things happen sure but again i could find videos just as easy of a guy who wrestle fucks people. Im saying for the 99% boxing wont work out this well.

Idiot, there are plenty that start after college. Look up Ross Purity, a heavy weight in the 00's. He didn't start until after college.

I didn't know ground and pound was allowed in wrestling

god dam brits always acting a fool. Not once in my life has someone tried to challenge me to a street fight so I cant relate. And even if they did, even in my most drunk I can always defuse a situation which could lead to a fight.

>boxing
enjoy your brain damage

you dont need training to autisitcally throw your fists at someones face.

How the hell are you going to wrestle multiple people at the same time?

Striking allows you to keep a distance from your attackers, thus avoiding getting in a bad position where people might soccer kick you in the head or jump you from behind. Footwork lets you steer the flow of the fight and manipulate the positioning into your favor. Striking is also objectively quicker at neutralising a target and making other potential attackers second-guess fighting you compared to grappling. Of course the ideal fighter knows both, but striking is clearly superior in a street fighting/self defense scenario. The best course of action is throwing a couple of swift punches to disorient your foe and then get the fuck out of there before they get up

>someone grabs you
>suddenly your 5 years of experience in a striking art is useless
brainlet

>implying grabbing somebody behind the head and punching him in the liver with the other hand isn´t far more effective than whatever wrestling moves you might come up with
I´m doing boxing but that doesn´t mean I´m never going to grab people.

>your opponent stands up
>suddenly your 5 years of experience in a grappling art is useless
This is the same level of retarded as what you just wrote

here, brainlet in early days of MMA before training multiple martial arts was a thing all boxers kept losing and losing

>fighting multiple attackers.
Doesn't matter the art, but how shitty your attackers are at fighting compared to you.
Your lads are bad a fighting in groups then.

MMA is one on one, refereed combat on a soft mat and not at all what I was talking about. You also can't judge the effectivity of martial arts for self defense in the streets looking at professional fighters. Not on early 90's results either. All it took was strikers learning takedown defense and the scale evened out again. If you look at current champions it's very even between predominant grapplers and strikers, even tilting towards the latter.

That you are able to read my original post and still only muster up
>Haha I'll just grab the striker
thinking it refutes any of the points shows who is truly the brainlet. Do you think a skilled striker is easy to take down? Do you think they will let you change levels and shoot in without punishing you? Go earn your blue belt in your invincible BJJ before you spout crap online you newly converted fucking pipsqueak. Have fun trying to get someone to dive into your guard in a street fight while their friends are stomping your head in

I'd recommend muay thai or kickboxing since they're more fun and also more complete martial arts than regular boxing. Flashy kicks look cooler too since you want to impress grills

Japanese Judo and Boxing are pretty decent for becoming a well rounded fighter. I started at 22, and am turning 24 soon. I am not amazing by any margin, but I am a lot better than I was a year ago, and could handle myself against most untrained people.

It is never to late, but just be warned that actually sparring is very taxing on the body. I never did contact sports, I was a swimmer in college. I was in agony for the first few months, but the body adapts overtime and it becomes manageable.

Boxing just like lifting will impress other guys more than it does chicks

youtube.com/watch?v=ugADOm5SE44
Wrestling and BJJ are harder than boxing in the sense that anybody can land a lucky punch but nobody can land an efficient throw or sub on luck only.
But Boxing and Wrestling are way harder on the body than bjj.

>hobby for chicks to impress.
stop living your life just to impress vaginas loser

white boy hit em with the nigger sucker punch at the end

>but again i could find videos just as easy of a guy who wrestle fucks people.
go on

you can't land a lucky punch against a professional boxer you dumbass

But you can against the average cunt in a bar.
instagram.com/p/Be1S5B9g3ZV/?taken-by=frankboxingcoach