Can someone recommend a routine for beginners that isn't SS or some slight variation?

Can someone recommend a routine for beginners that isn't SS or some slight variation?

>muh sticky
I said besides SS.

Other urls found in this thread:

stronglifts.com/5x5/
blackironbeast.com/starting-strength
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

GraysSkull's LP is great. It has a lot of variations tho. Here's one.

Pick one.

Thanks for the info

This one is pretty fucking great
I added shrugs and bent row for traps. Do pull ups and forearm work too and you're set.

That actually isn't him, Rippetits himself stated this

PUSH
Bench Press/OHP 5x5
Bench Press/OHP (select opposite of first movement) 3x8
Incline DB Bench Press 3x10
LTE 3x12
Close Grip Bench Press 3x10
Lateral Raises 3x12 (50% superset until failure)

PULL
Barbell Rows 5x5
Pullups 3x10
Chest Supported Rows 3x10
Rear Delt Flies 5x15
Barbell Curls 4x10
Hammer Curls 4x10

LEGS
Squats 5x5
Hamstring Curls 3x10
Leg Curls 3x10
Cardio

This, but replace ALL of leg day with “rest”

No

Please for the love of god don't listen to this guy.

stronglifts.com/5x5/

Nope.

what's your excuse for not just doing SS?

500 wilks in a year.

Candito PHUL

do you actually make strength gains on this program? trying to hit 2 pl8 (currently at 180)

sets 1 and 2 are to be warmups for sets 3,4 and 5. In other words, once you hit your max weight for five reps after two warmups, then crank out 3 sets of 5.

For example, say your bench press is a max of 225lbs for 5 reps (which is about 90% of 1RM), the first set would be at 60% – 135 lbs, then the next warmup set could be 80% – 185lbs.

Reg Park’s Beginner’s Routine (run until 7/7)

Workout A:
Back Squats 5×5
Chin-Ups or Pull-Ups 5×5
Dips or Bench Press 5×5
Barbell Curls 2×10
Wrist Work 2×10
Calves 2×15-20

Workout B:
Front Squats 5×5
Rows 5×5
Standing Press 5×5
Deadlifts 3×5 (2 warm-up sets and 1 “stabilizer set”)
Wrist Work 2×10
Calves 2×15-20

Training Schedule:
Week 1: A, B, A
Week 2: B, A, B
Week 3: A, B, A and so forth.

>5x5
>really 3x5 but with warm ups

why do people do this

Why are you posting a picture of Roger Estep?

- Mark Rippetoe -

AZ QUOTES

I know you said no SS, but if you actually follow the program you’ll make a ton of gains. I’ve found the following link to be a great summary: blackironbeast.com/starting-strength

I just finished with starting strength, I can rep the following:
Bench 200
Squat 295
Deadlift 355
OHP 132.5

I definitely don’t look good though, I’m just able to lift more.

If SS still ain’t your cup of tea, then at least buy micro plates. It’ll allow you to progress in upper body lifts by 2.5 pounds. I wasn’t able to move up until I got micro plates.

worse than SS
retard
absolute garbage
retard
worse than SS
450 at most, you fucking retard
just no
worse than SS
you could have just linked him to the pdf, retard

>the absolute state of Veeky Forums

Damn all beginner routines are garbage. Better not start lifting

wrong
you basically have three tiers
>SS
SS
>worse SS
SL, GSLP, reg park
>garbage
everything else

Literally my routine

Ppl or 5x5 is all you need

I thought it was a picture of him. Damn, Veeky Forums fooled me again.

>pull ups
Beginners like me often cannot even do a single one of those.

>I definitely don’t look good though, I’m just able to lift more.
That reminds me of Zack Evetts' case. Isn't there an alternative to SS that not only makes you stronger but also doesn't make you look like that?

^this

desu i go deadlifts on pull days and sometime leg press on push days

just read the sticky and do the SS
>besides SS
congratz, you have just summoned the worst of the worst of the Veeky Forums, enjoy your memes sir

There is absolutely no balance between strength and physique in SS.

You see, humans are not machines. Often their personality makes them value more having a somewhat decent looking *plus* an improved strength than ditching the former completely and lifting 20 additional lbs.

There is literally no reason why SS isn't a good program besides its fucking insane squat frequency and the requirement of increasing the load every session which requires a substantional bodyweight gain and by proxy getting fat.
Other than that it is a good program for beginners, more than enough volume on any given session to obtain muscle adaptation on most muscles specially if you add in the recommended chinups/curls.

I recommend stronglifts 5x5 to most people. SS is fine, it's just lacking in accessories in the hypertrophy rep range. Do your heavy lifts, then throw in some bodybuilding style accessories for the same muscle groups. This is what I've done and it works great: get bigger and stronger.

E.g. Heavy flat bench, incline dumbell bench, chest flyes.

Do the same for the major muscle groups you're hitting that workout. No, this isn't too much volume.

Nigga that's Rip, he was being modest.

No, you do not NEED to gain weight on SS if you aren't underweight when you start. You can do just fine if you start out heavier and trim some fat while getting stronger. Stop spreading misinformation.

I don’t get what people’s problem with SS is. It’s designed to make you stronger, not look good. I see everyone who does SS legitimately got stronger in that they were able to lift much more than they could before. And yet they all claim that SS is a joke or a failure.

Unsurprisingly, people want to look good, not to lift a lot. More news at 6.

>Can someone recommend a routine for beginners that is less than effective and dissimilar to anything that would be almost as effective or even moreso?

Pick up weights, put them down. Choose the weight and reps arbitrarily. Don't progressively overload, Don't allow rest days, Pay no attention to form, Starve yourself. Never sleep. Go vegan.

There you go. Good luck.

I didn't ask that, though. Consider committing sudoku.

Why rest 4-6 min, isn't that too much?
Also, if i'd like to do inclined bench press, which day would be better?

Also checked.

>Why rest 4-6 min, isn't that too much?
Because you lift pussy weights, if you lift at a heavier range, you'll find out that you need the rest to complete the reps.
>Also, if i'd like to do inclined bench press, which day would be better?
Just replace either BP or Press with them, seriously.

literally SS

Whats the thing with SS? What if I want to look good, not strength?

Petty much this. There’s a reason SS is so widespread - it fucking works, it works better than anything else, and it works so well that it even works if you fuck it up a bit because it takes full advantage of the principles that affect strength development. The ‘variations’ on it are testament to this - they still make you stronger even if they don’t work as well.

Everything else is a waste of time because it doesn’t make you as strong as quickly, and anything that purports to make you ‘aestheic’ in the absence of strength is utter nonsense.

if you want to look good, you have to get stronger first.
what's going to give you bigger chest and arms, 1pl8 bench for reps or 2.5pl8 bench for reps?

do SS
then do a 6-12 months of texas method
(now you won't look """aesthetic""", but you'll have gained a fair bit of muscle mass too)
then switch to bb-style programming

Is there an easy to follow pic for SL? Im finally able to press and squat my BW and want to follow something structured.
I know I won't be able to follow the squat frequency of SS and want to do something I know I can follow.

How strong do you need to be to "graduate" from SS?

Unironically ICF5x5

is doing an Upper/Lower split viable as a beginner ?

dont blame SS for that gyno / estrogenized physique

>ICF5x5
More squat shilling? Some of us want to be able to still fit our pants.

Also my balls and dick need room to stay cool

SS did that to him, though. Of course it is to blame for it.

Try something with real volume

>in my post I ask for a routine for *beginners*
>you proceed to post a meme routine for experts
>pull up 6x6
Most of beginners, which is what this complete thread is about, cannot perfom a single one of those. Please, consider deleting your post and afterwards kys.

>6 week novice routine
>for experts
Lmao just do assisted pullups nigga
Like try harder nigga

SS,SL,or GSLP then move to a phul or ppl after you plataeu, most beginner routines will look a lot like all 3 of these though.

SS is heavily recommended for a reason, because it works. Don't expect to look like zyzz by the end but you will be a lot stronger and you will look better.

It depends on your age and genetics. You should switch to an intermediate routine when you can't progress every workout.

>assisted pullups
of all the memes in this thread, this one is the worst

>also you will look better
Did Zach Evetts improve his appearance thanks to SS?

he objectively had more muscle mass and strength all he would have to do is cut a bit for the musculature to show.

It's the same principle as bulking on a brosplit and cutting. Why are you people so fucking stupid about SS?

what's a good template with extra t3 just the bare program sounds stupid

>Besides SS
dyel
dyel Reddit program. AMRAP for novices is brainlet-tier
dyel
dyel
This
dyel
dyel

he looked terrible before he ever did SS, dumbass. He has very unfortunate fat distribution so the fat gain all went to his tits and hips. he is obviously more muscular in the second pic and honestly looks less deformed.

he clearly ate pretty far over his caloric needs, but a couple months of cutting will leave him looking much, much better than what he did before doing SS.

unironically yes

cope harder twinklets

>he looked terrible before he ever did SS
Disagreed.
>a couple months of cutting will leave him looking much, much better than what he did before doing SS.
Wouldn't that kill his gainz tho?
>unironically yes
Is this the power of the Rippetoe cult?

>Hamstring Curls 3x10
>Leg Curls 3x10
Those are the same thing user.

second this, its what i started a couple weeks into ss, never looked back.

This

I allowed myself to fall into the trap of the whole “eat big to get big” dogma, whilst doing a pathetically low volume of lifting such as that found in 3×5 programs, I do feel that others (especially very young guys who don’t know any lifters IRL) will continue to get suckered into GOMAD whilst doing routines that last no longer than 20-25 minutes and just make them hate what they see in the mirror.

I know I did. I was fat, injured, still had skinny arms and didn’t lift again for years until more recent times. That was once the last of my tendonosis had cleared up, haha.

Not to mention, those routines just aren’t fun. They’re billed as “simple” but most of them have some elaborate deload process built in once you plateau that you’d never remember unless you did nothing but read that program day and night.

Basically if you ask anything about aesthetics in the starting strength forum, you are immediately told by the coaches to eat 6000 to 10,000 calories and avoid isolation exercises and cardio and only do SS . If you try to argue, you are immediately labeled as a TROLL.

>6-12 months of TM
lol
did you even start TM?

The people who do Starting Strength are recognizable immediately
ie a big ass, wide hips, small arms and shoulders and minimum 30% bodyfat.

10x10

Well said. For reasons like this, I am trying to find a routine that doesn't focus that much into squatting. However, squats seem to be present at every beginners / novice routine that is recommended.

I wouldn’t blame the likes of Mark Rippetoe for this trend (he has made numerous clarifications, and has never presented himself as other than a strength coach) but rather the army of dedicated SSers that present the program as the answer to all problems and denigrate anyone doing things differently with endless pejoratives and e-statting.

They say:

Wanna get jacked? Do SS. Wanna get aesthetic? Do SS. Wanna bodybuild? Do SS. Wanna become CEO of a Fortune 500 company? Do SS.

Only on the internet does this madness exist! Only on the internet do people think that squatting and eating a 2000 calorie surplus a day will cut bodyfat, build and sculpt your bicep peak and give you boulder shoulders.

I’ve never known or met anyone IRL who has looked well built and lean who built themselves up using a low volume, low rep, CNS wrecker of a routine. Plenty have done it with bench presses or inclines, pulldowns/pull-ups, curls, shoulder side raises, rope pushdowns and leg presses though (I would also add that diamond push-ups are awesome tricep builders, and high rep OHPs blow your shoulders out like you’re on trenbolone!).

Name a more analytically pleasing and simple program than SS.
>Protip: you cant

forgot pic
>Protip: you still cant

Thanks a lot. At last some thought-provoking & well-researched answers.

>Bitch but offer no suggestions

Absolute worthless post.

clearly, SS is implicitly suggested.
if that wasn't clear enough, read do you even lift?

have you ever seen a big guy lift baby weight?

if by rip you mean roger estep then yes

rip(estep) is the new female(male), get with the times gramps

t. 0.25/0.5/1/2 dyel

I'm doing SS atm and I'm in the gym for about 1 hour and 45 minutes. I time my rests and don't dick around doing anything pointless. How can you do it in 20 minutes?

You see, every one of the 3 work outs is meant to be done in 3 separate days, dude.

Workout A
Press- Heavy 5x5
Bench - 5x10
Barbell Row - Heavy 4x6
BW Chins/Pullups 50 total reps. Add a couple of total reps per week. Just hit the number.
Shrugs 2-3x15-20
Trap Bar Deadlift 4x8

Workout B
Bench - Heavy 5x5
Press - 5x10
Weighted Chins - 4x6
Barbell Row - 5x10
Shrugs 2-3x15-20
Trap Bar Deadlift 6x3

Accessories
Overhead Extensions
Band pushdowns
Lat Raises
Band Pull Aparts
Curls
Neck Harness
-Work on however many you want/don't want.

2-3x a week.

SS turned that woman into a man with tits in 4 months, impressive

All the fucking time, are you retarded? Big dudes lift with a mind muscle connection. They're trying to damage the muscle to make it bigger, not giving a shit about the weight.

Meanwhile the opposite isn't necessarily true. Look at Omar Isuf. Can bench in the 350s or something and looks like a doughy soyboy because he's never done high volume in his life and seemingly his only goal is to lift more weight. This is why power lifters get those weird looking pecs that are huge on the bottoms/side and don't even exist anywhere else. It's because they don't care about what muscle feels like it's doing the work, they only care that they're using the best leverages to lift more weight.

>muh mind muscle connection
that's literally "grow grow grow" tier garbage lad

You can't shift the weight to impact the triceps, or shoulders, or chest more during benching? You can't shift focus on your upper back, or lats while doing rows? Focus on a muscle during a compound and you'll shift your leverages to use that muscle over the others more.

You fucking donut.

>Some of us want to be able to still fit our pants.

t. 3pl8 squat

If you're a beginner, anything will do. Literally do anything.

SS is recommended because it's THE beginner's routine. It's simple, has you doing compound lifts for low reps and heavy weights. Any beginners routine will look like a slight SS variation because that's literally all you need: Squats, deads, pressing and chinning with heavy weights.

But if brosplits are your thing then literally pick any routine, it doesn't matter. The one from the "Bigger, Leaner, Stronger" book is pretty good.

>SS literally put hair on that woman's chest

I dobut they can even squat that much.

For 20, yes.

that really added a lot to the discussion